Watch This

sorabji.com: Why I oughta...: Watch This
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 09:30 pm:

All I can say is Holy Shit

I can't believe one of the major 3 is actually doing this!

By Nate on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 09:33 pm:

they must be banking on al gore not running again?

By semillama on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 10:37 am:

What does Al Gore have to do with a hitler movie?
    And why is it unbelievable that they would do a hitler movie?

Has anyone seen the movie with Cusack about Hitler before he rose to power? I heard it's pretty good.

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 10:51 am:

I have not seen it yet.
    I would love too, though.
    The History Channel is going to have The Last Mission.
    It is about the end of the war in Japan.

Takes balls these days, you know that.
    There is always groups that will bitch about it in one way or another.
    Like you (or was it Rowlf) said yesterday.
    If it makes someone uncomfortable, then it's not entertainment.

Of course, Will & Grace makes me uncomfortable, but hey...

By Spider on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 11:14 am:

My mom is doing her PhD dissertation on "the bystander" and the Holocaust -- the Edmund Burke quote is basically her thesis statement. I'll be sure to tell her about the miniseries.

I heard "Max," the John Cusack movie, got very mixed reviews. Rogert Ebert gave it no stars, I think, and my local weekly paper thought it was great. I think some people were just put off by the topic.

I remember when "Life Is Beautiful" came out that Rex Reed got all snooty and sniffed that he found the idea of a comedy about the Holocaust morally offensive, so he panned it. Never mind that the comedic parts did not actually involve the events of the Holocaust and that the movie was in reality sad and full of love.

By Antigone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 12:28 pm:

"What does Al Gore have to do with a hitler movie?"

It's all that "moral relavitism" stuff the conservatives talk about. When comparing Bush to Saddam it's called "treason" or "sedition." When they apply it to Al Gore and Hitler, it's called "common sense" or "funny."

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 12:30 pm:

WHo has compared Al Gore to Hitler?
    I compare him to Lurch.

By semillama on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:06 pm:

didn't you mean, if it DOESN't make you uncomfortable, it's not entertainment?

or maybe it's art I'm talking about.

By Nate on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:14 pm:

who's this 'they', tiggy? you should paranoid.

By Antigone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

you should verb.

By eri on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

I find this stuff interesting. I love most of the cast. I noticed that they didn't cast people because they "looked like" the person they were portraying, so I hope that means they were cast because they do an amazing job in that part.

I wish I still had the copy of Eva Braun's diary. I don't know what I did to it, but I don't have it anymore. It would be interesting to compare this miniseries to it, though.

I have always been interested in things surrounding Hitler and the attempted genocide of the "Jews". I think it has something to do with the fact that my Grandparents met in Germany while fighting the war. My Grandmother was a German, 100%, but was fighting for the US.

I didn't know that "Life is Beautiful" was about this, too. Now I want to see it!

By Antigone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:36 pm:

'they' is a pronoun, and pronouns refer to nouns that have been used previously in a discourse. I can provide you with some algorithms for pronoun reference resolution if you like.

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:37 pm:

I don't think the big 3 networks go for uncomfortable too often. It's too risky.

By Spider on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 02:53 pm:

I don't get why this is such an uncomfortable subject that major networks won't touch it.

#1 -- It's recent history that everybody knows about.

#2 -- In the basic plot of the WWII story, there is hardly any grey area, and the US was clearly on the side of the white. They don't call it the Good War for nothing....after the recent Iraq mess, people probably want to see the US in an unambiguously heroic role, even if they have to go to the past and TV to do it.

This isn't breaking any new ground, but it's still a really interesting story, so why *wouldn't* a major network produce it?

By semillama on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 03:07 pm:

The "Jews"? Er...why the quotation marks? Were they not really Jews?

By eri on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 03:28 pm:

I didn't want to offend anyone by using the slang term that was used then for Jewish people. Where I am from the word "Jew" is an insult based on their references from WWII and is common among anti-semites. All of the Jewish people I have known ask to be called "Jewish" vs. "Jew".

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 03:51 pm:

Jew can be considered a slang term, I have heard that before as well

By Pablo Cruz on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:17 pm:

Jew got dat right, jefe!

By semillama on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 06:27 pm:

hmm. none of my Jewish relatives mind being called a Jew. Do you call black people african-americans instead of black? just curious, because it would seem to follow that "black" would also be an epiphet.

By Antigone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 06:53 pm:

None of my Jewish relatives mind either.

By Bigkev on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 08:23 pm:

right but do remember when calling someone black WAS bad, you were supposed to call them colored (if you could be decent enough to use their name). Now you call a black man 'colored' and hes as mad as if you called him the N word.

By spunky on Saturday, May 3, 2003 - 02:04 am:

they call themselves "the N word"

My mother, believe it or not, taught us never to describe another kid as "black". She taught us to say "the boy wearing the red shirt" versus the color of thier skin.

I detest coutry-american.

That is what I mean by furthering the gap.

I am not german-native-american.

Pick a country, dammit.

By wisper on Saturday, May 3, 2003 - 09:29 pm:

you're part native?
    i'd never guess.

By Vilnius viper on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 02:51 pm:

its miller time

By Vilnius viper on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 02:51 pm:

its miller time

By semillama on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 05:53 pm:

Apparently has been for a while.

By I on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 08:53 pm:

I liked the film Max, and all films to do with WW11, a really good film is Devil's Arithmatic.
    I dont know any Jewish people.....I would like to, but there isn't many, I dont think in the north of Scotland, but hello anyway.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact