my ceiling is leaking

sorabji.com: Why I oughta...: my ceiling is leaking
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:19 pm:

Yesterday morning, I noticed some droplets coming from the ceiling above my bathroom sink. I thought it was condensation from the shower and thought no more on it. I get home yesterday and find a small pool of water on my bathroom floor, underneath a little hole in the ceiling slowly dripping drops from a bulge in the ceiling paint.

Deep breath. It was around 8 pm, I was tired, I was hungry, I didn't want maintenance people invading my fortress of serenity while I was resting righteously from my Hard Day at the Office. So I put a trashcan under the leak, mopped up the floor, and vowed to call maintenance the next morning.

Oh, and I changed my hours yesterday, to be effective today, from 8:15 - 4:45 to 9:30-6:00, so I was eagerly looking forward to sleeping in this morning.

But it was not to be. This morning I woke up at 4:45 am, went into the bathroom, and discovered another leak had sprung in the ceiling during the night, leaving the floor covered in about 1" water. I stand on the wet floor in bare feet for a few moments, unable to think in the lingering fog of sleep, and eventually I decide to put a bowl under the new leak and just go back to bed. I would call maintenance before I left for work at 9.

So I go back to bed, anticipating another 3 hours of sleep, and....nothing. I cannot relax. I cannot stop thinking about water dripping from the ceiling. I try thinking about all sorts of things to distract myself, even thinking of nothing at all and just paying attention to my breathing, and I cannot shake the image of water dripping from the ceiling. I tell myself to get a grip, it will get taken care of in a few hours, the new leak is under control, everything is okay. Nothing works. I can't stop thinking about my leaky ceiling.

So I did not get 9 hours of sleep last night, as I had planned -- I get 6. Oh, this made me very upset. Instead of calling maintenance this morning, I went to the main office before I left for work and demanded that my ceiling be fixed today, while I'm at work, so when I get home I have a dry bathroom.

I probably had no right to be so assertive, seeing as I had exacerbated the problem by not reporting it earlier, but goddammit, my sleep was disturbed. Spider Rule #1 -- Do not disturb my sleep. It is precious to me.

Now I almost don't want to go home tonight, because I'm afraid they haven't fixed the ceiling, new leaks have sprung, and I'm going to come home to a flooded apartment.

Pray for me.

By eri on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:36 pm:

I know what you mean. We have this off and on leak in our bathroom ceiling, over the toilet. Sometimes I walk in and just find it flooded in there. Once I slipped on the floor and nearly broke my toe (think I posted about that idiocy). They won't repair the ceiling here, either, so now there is mold growing in the ceiling and you can see it. Maintenance never gets out here within 3 weeks unless you go in the office, demand that it get done immediately and wait for someone to drag back with you to get it done. Otherwise you have like a 3 week wait to get anything done here. Fucking sucks. Hope your place is better about that stuff. I hate leaks in the ceiling.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:58 pm:

there are city, county and state government agencies that landlords don't like to hear from and mold growing on your ceiling due to negligence is a health hazard, and Im sure the TX Housing Authority would love to hear about that. They like citing property owners and landlords with fines and fees. They need the money these days. Most states also have laws and codes as to when a landlord is to respond to a request for repair. Im positive 3 weeks is excessive.

withhold rent if they refuse to do work.

It doesnt have to be a ghetto if you are hard assed enough.

By eri on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 06:16 pm:

I get most of the stuff around here done pretty quickly. I became friends with most of the maintenance staff. We are in the shift of new management and as soon as the new management is in, I am going to go fight again, about the mold, the holes in the ceiling, etc.

By wisper on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 11:56 pm:

spider, how is it???

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 10:56 am:

Thanks for asking. :)

They have temporarily fixed the ceiling -- torn down the dry-wall on the ceiling, plastered up the hole, and stapled cardboard over the whole mess. It looks horrible, but the floor is dry and nothing is dripping, and that's all I care about.

I slept 8.75 hours last night. I'm happy.

I had one of my recurring dreams about cigarrettes this morning. For some freaky reason, I often dream about buying cigarrettes and getting excited about smoking them (strange because in real life I can't stand the taste and and smell, and have absolutely no interest in smoking). A few days ago, I dreamt I bought cloves. This morning I dreamt I went into a convenience store and bought 6-7 different kinds of cigarrettes to see which was the best kind. Weird.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 11:31 am:

c i g a r e t t e s

Jeez!

By patrick on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 01:05 pm:

dreaming about clove smokes?

you're so goth it hurts spider.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 01:43 pm:

My goth friends in high school smoked them, so you're close.

By eri on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 03:06 pm:

I love clove smokes. I don't think of myself as Goth, though?!?!?!

By TBone on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:08 pm:

Glad the drip has stopped.

I never have been able to stand cigarette smoke. Don't know about cloves.

Every now and then, I'll chill out on my porch with a good book and a briar full of Hellgate Gold tobacco.

Pipe smokin's the way to go. At least, if you don't inhale.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:14 pm:

"Hellgate Gold" -- Ha!

Cloves smell sweet and, uh, smoky, and supposedly taste sweet. I'd probably try a clove c i g a r e t t e -- without fully inhaling, cuz I gots sensitive lungs -- if I found some, just so I could satisfy whatever unconscious impulse is making me dream about them. I think you have to get them at a tobacconist's -- convenience stores don't sell them.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 06:48 pm:

cloves are the most annoying thing about goths besides their miserable self-pity.

(im joking with you spider and not citing or even thinking about you when i say that....you are neither pitiful nor a clove smoker)

clove smokes are far more harsh on your lungs than regular cigarettes.

like many i know, i once bought a pack, thinking it would be like smoking Twizzlers and whatnot only to realize i was a moron to think it was anything remotely pleasurable.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:01 pm:

I've heard your lungs can actually collapse after smoking cloves, that's how bad they are for you. They do smell good, though, as far as cigarettes go.

Maybe all those goths (and art majors, don't forget them) aren't inhaling?

By wisper on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:34 pm:

damn right they are!
    you're talking about people who drink absinthe, for fuck sake.

By Ophelia on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:55 pm:

a lot of the shows the theater department here puts on include at least one character smoking, and they use herbal cigarettes so no one gets addicted (even though most of them already are). it's rather amusing to watch since 90% of the actors actually smoke, but there is usually one who doesn't, and can't quite figure out how to hold it naturally. these are the things you notice when you are running sound and watch the show on 7 consecutive nights.

By Vilnius viper on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 11:37 am:

my car blew up last night.at the same time a nearby gas station lost all electicty to its pumps.am i telikinetic/perhaps.i also have a wierd effect on other electrictrical items.i need your ideas as to what is happening.

By BIGKev on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 11:58 am:

you are destroying the matrix from the inside

By Vilnius viper on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:55 pm:

thank you bigkev .do you think a power surge occours .some fruit machines tend to pay out if itouch them.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 02:23 pm:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

By eri on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 02:55 pm:

I wouldn't mind touching a machine and having it pay out to me!!!! That wouldn't suck, at least not for me. Have you ever gone to an arcade to see if that holds true for video games?

By Vilnius viper on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 05:15 pm:

thanks eri.i think thats an excellent idea.

By Vilnius viper on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 05:27 pm:

i also send respect and good luck to antigone

By semillama on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 05:54 pm:

Are you actually from Vilnius?

By Spider on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 06:03 pm:

I break every stereo I come in contact with. I don't mistreat them or kick them or push their buttons violently or anything -- they just spontaneously die. Look, I even started a thread about this, regarding one of my stereos.

It's a curse.

By Vilnius viper on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 07:15 pm:

good luck to semillama and spider.my grandparents, all four of them,were driven off there farms at gunpoint by the commies at the time of the russian revolution.i am third generation,but pure lithuanian blood.

By Vilnius viper on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 07:49 pm:

to spider.yes you got a new thred.you have the same power as me.i think it can be re-directed,to improve your luck in all aspects of your life.most people are psychic ,most ignore it.if you are sixth sensed ,it can be improved withtraining,the american and russian defence departments still spend big bucks on it.

By Worm hole on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 09:06 pm:

this is interesting stuff.

By Ramblin gamblin man on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 09:15 pm:

anything that improves luck is worth tri-shoot i presed da wrong button again.gimmy some of that luck.

By Vilnius viper on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 09:19 pm:

truck loads of luck comeing your way.

By Vilnius viper on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:07 am:

semillama,have you got any lithuanian blood in you/i sometimes think im the only one on the planet.is there any body out there.

By Vilnius viper on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 10:37 am:

check out blobby boy at the stalking post,[fucking neighbors].he is a banjo playing creep.

By semillama on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 09:21 pm:

My grandfather was a Lithuanian Jew. My grandmother was a Polish Catholic.

By Vilnius viper on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 10:07 am:

semillama,you made my day.god bless you all.

By Troll. on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 06:27 pm:

anyone with lithuanian blood in them is really neat.

By Big foot on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 11:38 pm:

o no,not another dead thread.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 11:52 am:

Yes. I wish Vilnius Viper would come back, we are far too top heavy with North Americans here.

By Vilnius viper on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 08:52 pm:

semillama,you are so nice.i am allmost lost for words.i hope i am still welcome.

By Vilnius viper on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 09:23 pm:

p.s.my mother also had polish blood in her.small world is it not.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 07:17 pm:

Well, definitely small from that part of the world!

Just keep posting. Start a thread about Vilnius. Is it in Lithuania that some dude has a Stalin World theme park? I know it's one of the Baltic states.

By Vilnius viper on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 09:34 pm:

i hope not.i hate stalin,when i find the stalin world theme park,i will find the w.m.d.,s.---but enough vitriolic anger,your idea is good,----vilnis is a magical place,the night sky is a strange purple,in the woods,the ladybugs cant fly,but they bite through human flesh.you may even find the last of the european bison,lost since the last ice age.

By Vilnius viper on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 11:42 pm:

vilnius,is in lithuanian,vilnus,sean connory in the movie red october,says this word incorrectly,it allways annoys me.

By semillama on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 09:50 am:

That's because Sean Connery is kinda dumb.

"Suck it, Trebek!!"

By Vilnius viper on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 06:42 pm:

you suprise me,i allways thought sean connery was the perfect man for all woman in the world,--but i hear he likes to beat up woman,like his ex-wife,is this true do you think,if true,he is less than a peasant.

By semillama on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 04:14 pm:

Sean Connery passed up a part in Lord of the Rings. Even he admitted that was stupid.

By Spider on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 04:39 pm:

He made the right choice, though -- he'd stick out like a sore thumb, IMO. He's always "Sean Connery" to me, anyway.

By semillama on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 05:29 pm:

true. Although I would say he made the right choice as far as us the movie watchers are concerned, not as far as he himself is concerned.

Still, he's fun to watch.

By semillama on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 05:29 pm:

true. Although I would say he made the right choice as far as us the movie watchers are concerned, not as far as he himself is concerned.

Still, he's fun to watch.

By Dougie on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 05:45 pm:

He's in this new movie coming out, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Looks kind of silly.

By eri on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 06:03 pm:

Didn't we already start a thread about that movie somewhere? I thought I recalled some of you guys (including Spunky) saying you wanted to see it.

Sean Connery isn't like total eye candy for me, though he isn't bad. I like most of the movies I have seen him in, though. Most of them. I think he made a better James Bond, than say, oh, Timothy Dalton, or even Roger Moore. But then again, I am not a big Bond fan anyways.

By Vilnius viper on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 08:19 pm:

but, has enyone in the u.s.a. seen [zardoz] ,i thought it was very smart movie,but you have to watch it about ten times before you understand it.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:05 pm:

This Saturday, my building maintenance finally, finally repaired my bathroom ceiling. They gave me a week's notice as to when they would be performing the repairs. I went home to my dad's house on Friday night so that I wouldn't be home when the crew came in, and I returned Sunday night and saw that all was fixed.

Well, almost all. The new ceiling needs to be painted -- it's just bare spackle and dry wall now.

But I was pained when I came home from work yesterday and saw a note in my bathroom saying maintenance had been there that afternoon to fix my low-pressure toilet.

I didn't ask them to fix the toilet. They hadn't given me any notice that they would be coming into my apartment. Isn't that against the law? Aren't they required to give 24 hours notice?

I had a pile of clean laundry sitting on the floor with a big blue bra right on top. I don't like strangers seeing my underwear, and seeing my apartment, without my knowledge or permission.

I wrote a note on the back of maintenance's note saying, "Please do not perform unrequested non-emergency repairs in my apartment without 24 hours notice" and left it for my building manager.

This pisses me off. It's bad enough that they leave packages and over-sized mail in my apartment when they don't fit in my mailbox. At least then, all they do is open the door and leave the stuff right there on the table in the entrance. I really don't like people *in my space* without my permission. God.

By TBone on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:18 pm:

Sounds like it's time to start leaving garden gnomes in conspicuous places in the manager's place. Middle of the living room. On the toilet. In the closet (scares the bajeezus out them when they see a face in the closet.)
    Picking locks is much easier than most people realize.
    Not that it would solve anything. But that's not really the point.

By kazu on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:23 pm:

I know how you feel. Mail and packages are held in the office (or with a neighbor, if one is willing).

In some places, it is against the law. At least that's what me mum told me. Last year someone came in to do routine (i.e. something I didn't request) work last year and when I came home and found out, I did not like the feeling it left me with. So I requested some notice for when this kind of work is being done. I also found out that, if you ask, they will wait until you are home to do stuff.

The only maintainence people who have access are the two people who are actually employed by the complex, and doesn't apply to just anyone that they hire for work. That is *some* comfort, but I still don't want Jorge and Louise looking at my stuff.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact