Get my Iran war on!

sorabji.com: Why I oughta...: Get my Iran war on!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 05:25 pm:

Bush accuses Iran of harboring al-Qaida

By Barry Schweid

May 21, 2003 | WASHINGTON (AP) --

The Bush administration on Wednesday accused Iran of harboring al-Qaida members and said Iranian leaders had a responsibility to prevent terrorists from entering and operating in the country.

The impact on U.S. contacts with Iran, particularly a recent series of meetings in Geneva, was not clear. ‘‘We do find ways to communicate and we will continue to find ways to communicate with Iran on subjects that are important to us," State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said.

The meetings, part of an effort to ease friction between the two countries, focused on a range of issues, including postwar Iraq. The United States is attempting to deter Iran from trying to influence the formation of a new government in Baghdad.

U.S.-Iran relations were severed after Iranian militants overran the U.S. Embassy in Tehran in 1979 and held U.S. diplomats hostage until 1981.

Officials in the Clinton and Bush administrations have suggested from time to time that there was a reformist surge in Iran that could have a moderating influence on the Muslim fundamentalist government.

Still, the State Department this year again accused Iran of sponsoring terrorism. Iran also is accused regularly of trying to undercut peace efforts in the Middle East.

Despite President Bush's declaration of war against al-Qaida, the terrorist network appears to have regrouped and is suspected in deadly bombings in Saudi Arabia and Morocco.

‘‘The presence of al-Qaida operatives working from Iran is a matter of very serious concern to us," Boucher said. ‘‘Whether they are there with the permission, not with permission, or what, it's the responsibility of the government to prevent these kind of people from coming to their country."

If terrorists enter Iran, Boucher said, the government should not permit them to operate and should prevent them from terrorist activities.

‘‘That's a responsibility we expect them and other governments to live up to," Boucher said.

Iran on Tuesday repeated its rejection of U.S. claims it was sheltering members of Osama bin Laden's organization and said it would not hesitate to confront the group.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi said Iran has no links to the ‘‘fundamentalist and violent" network, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported.

‘‘In case of confronting al-Qaida, Iran will act according to its programs and within the U.N. framework, as it did in extraditing the operatives of the group to their countries of origin that in several cases included western states," he was quoted as saying.

Two areas of concern for the United States are Iran's support for Hezbollah militants in southern Lebanon who are fighting a cross-border war with Israel, and Iranian forays into Iraq.

Secretary of State Powell said during a recent stop in Egypt that the United States was opposed to fundamentalist rule in Iraq and that such a government was not in the interest of the Iraqi people.

Powell also has disputed published reports the administration was considering re-establishing relations with Iran, although he said the United States long has been in communication with Iran through various channels.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 05:55 pm:

deja vue all over again.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 06:31 pm:

is it just me or are more than a usual number of government officials under the Bush administration resigning?

I mean....does it just not get more and more ridiculous day by day?

Now rummy wants to build new and improved small scale nuclear weapons? wtf? as if thousands upon thousands and bad ass ICBMs werent enough?

Why are these people in the White House so hell bent on making this world more dangerous? Iraq and Afghanistant and everythign surrounding their "liberation" and "reconstruction" is a fucking joke.

By eri on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 06:44 pm:

I didn't read the article. I don't see a good reason to give myself a migraine right now. All I have to say is .....who didn't see that one coming? This is turning into a rather predictable sci-fi/apocolyptic movie with a bad plot and predictable story line. Any idea on whether or not we will shove nukes up the alien's butthole in the end and all live happily ever after?

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 06:55 pm:

Maybe, but without the "live," "happily," and "ever" parts.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 06:55 pm:

Oh yeah. And no "all."

By Gringo on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 08:09 pm:

dont worry the tax payers ,you and me,will pay and pay and pay.

By Antigone on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:01 pm:

And, from the "what a coinkidink!" department:

Higher alert blamed on al-Qaida in Iran

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    By John J. Lumpkin

May 22, 2003 | WASHINGTON (AP) -- Concern about possible activities of senior al-Qaida operatives thought to be in Iran was a factor in raising the domestic terror alert level in the United States, officials say.

Other factors, the officials said Wednesday, included a surge in threatening communications and the recent attacks in Morocco and Saudi Arabia, officials said.

The Homeland Security Department's orange alert issued Tuesday suggests a high threat of terrorist attacks, and authorities extended security measures around the country.

The FBI said Wednesday that the bombings in Saudi Arabia and Morocco could be a "possible prelude" to a terrorist attack in the United States and that attacks are "likely" against U.S. and Western interests abroad.

The warning was contained in an FBI bulletin sent weekly to more than 17,000 law enforcement agencies nationwide, marking the third time in six days the FBI has urged state and local police to increase their vigilance.

Using the same intelligence as the FBI, the Defense Intelligence Agency at the Pentagon informed regional commanders and commanders of military bases in the United States that the threat level was being raised from "significant" to "high," putting it at the highest of the DIA's separate, four-tier system, officials said.

FBI Director Robert Mueller and other officials acknowledged Wednesday the information was nonspecific, pointing to no particular time, target or method of attack.

Officials have identified five senior al-Qaida operatives who they believe have been to Iran since the U.S.-led coalition ousted the Taliban from neighboring Afghanistan. Of those, officials believe some are still there, and the whereabouts of others is unclear. Those five comprise some of the most senior al-Qaida operatives, below Osama bin Laden and his chief deputy, who remain at large.

"There's no question but that there have been and are today senior al-Qaida leaders in Iran, and they are busy," Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told reporters Wednesday.

American officials, generally describing intelligence information on the condition of anonymity, say they are suspected of connections to the bombings in Saudi Arabia and Morocco, which U.S. officials believe are part of a campaign to launch a wave of attacks to demonstrate al-Qaida is still viable.

Officials cautioned their ties to those bombings are not certain, but said the information was still a major factor in the domestic alert. Another factor was information on terrorist plots gleaned from al-Qaida prisoners abroad and corroborated by other intelligence.

Iranian officials deny harboring any al-Qaida figures and say they captured scores fleeing Afghanistan and turned them over to Saudi Arabia.

Chief among those U.S. officials believe are in Iran is Saif al-Adil, an Egyptian described as bin Laden's security and intelligence chief. He may be the No. 3 al-Qaida figure who remains at large.

Al-Adil orchestrated the training of Somali fighters who fought American troops in Mogadishu in 1993, was one of the key planners of the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombings in East Africa and is believed to have played a role in the planning of the bombing of the USS Cole, according to U.S. and British officials and documents.

Also believed to be in Iran is Abu Mohamed al-Masri, wanted for his alleged role in the Mogadishu and East Africa attacks, and Saad bin Laden, one of bin Laden's elder sons who officials have described as a rising star in al-Qaida.

Two other top figures are believed to have been in Iran but their current whereabouts are uncertain. They are Abu Musab Zarqawi, the operational commander who the U.S. government tried to link to Saddam Hussein, and Abu Hafs the Mauritanian, a key ideological and religious counselor for bin Laden.

Officials said they consider a new communication, purported from bin Laden's top deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, as further evidence of possible terrorism. Previous messages from al-Qaida leaders have sometimes heralded new attacks.

The speaker on the message singled out the United States, Britain, Australia and Norway. In response, the U.S. Embassy in Oslo, Norway, announced it would be closed to the public on Thursday.

By President of the united states on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 11:03 pm:

nuke em,nuke em,nuke em,nuke em.

By spunky on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:56 am:

anyone who thinks Iran is NOT and has not been a hot bed of terrorism needs to rejoin planet earth

By semillama on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:06 pm:

Compared to other nations, it hasn't been.

I can't name one Iraqi terrorist.
    I could name a whole bunch of Saudi terrorists, and probably come up with some Palestinians and Syrians, too. Maybe some folkd from Afghanistan. Some folks from the US, too.

But I am unaware of any from Iraq.

As for the future, it's well on the road to becoming a hotbed of terrorism that's for sure.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:09 pm:

d00d. He said "Iran."

By spunky on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:09 pm:

I am talking about IRAN

By Rowlf on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:10 pm:

any Iran talk from Bush is merely a distraction from the post-war mess....

By Rowlf on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:12 pm:

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:16 pm:

rowlf, you go boy!

By Rowlf on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:20 pm:

I think its important people read this yet again...

ter·ror·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tr-rzm)
    n.

The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons

By Rowlf on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:29 pm:

from http://www.repro-activist.org/AAP/publica_resources/fact_sheets/shortage_provider.htm

The terrorists are winning:

86% of all U.S. counties and 95% of all rural U.S. counties have no abortion provider

2% of OB-GYNs perform the majority of abortions in the U.S

Between 1992 and 1996 the number of U.S. hospitals providing abortions decreased by 18%

There have been almost 2,400 reported instances of violence against abortion providers since 1977, including 7 murders and 16 attempted murders (actual instances are most likely higher).

By Kyle on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:31 pm:

dude, I am staying out of this

By eri on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 07:17 pm:

I have always had a problem, a serious problem, with anti-abortion protesters, proclaiming the right to life, and then bombing abortion clinics, saying that they are killing the murderers when in effect their actions make them just as much murderers. It annoys the fuck out of me. If you are fighting for a right to life then don't threaten to or actually take that "right" away and put some ridiculous spin on it cuz in the end it is the same goddamned thing.

For the record, I am pro-choice, for those of you who might think I am a pro-lifer. Irregardles of what I might possibly think about morality of this issue, I think it has absolutely no place in the government. None of the governments goddamned business.

I was just pointing out my annoyance of the hypocracy that is apparent in many many abortion protesters. As well as many who don't actually protest.

By semillama on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 12:55 pm:

Well, I can't name Iranian terrorists either. They seem to like to use proxies.

but by the dictionary definition, any list of terrorists has to include the good ol' U. S. of A.

By spunky on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:14 pm:

and britain
    and russia
    and france
    and japan
    and S Korea
    and N Korea
    and China
    and Ireland
    and Scottland

Want to keep going?

By Antigone on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:21 pm:

Of course.

By Antigone on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:21 pm:

That's the whole point, you jingoistic boob.

By spunky on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:46 pm:

it that was his point, why just list the US?

By The Watcher on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:55 pm:

I am pro choice.

But, pray the choice is life.

It is not my place to impose my moral code upon anyone. But, I reserve the right to inform those who don't see things the way I do that I think they are wrong though I will never force anyone to do what I think they should.

Unless I actually do become the worlds dictator. Then watch out. I'll have a torture chamber in the den. I've been taking notes from Sadam and his kids. They're number one on list to use it.

By semillama on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:49 pm:

Why just the US?

Who's the 900-lb- gorilla in this situation?

By spunky on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 04:00 pm:

Read this so you can have even more cannon fodder for yourself.

By semillama on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 06:04 pm:

I read it. Did you? Still think our hands are clean?

By spunky on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:52 am:

you slurp up anything that paints the US in a bad light.

By dave. on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 01:19 pm:

slurpy slurp!

slurpy slurp!

slurpy slurpy slurpy slurp!!

By spunky on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 05:42 pm:

what do you think you are doing dave?

By Antigone on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 06:10 pm:

Making fun of existence.

By wisper on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 06:47 pm:

in other political news......

checked out NationStates lately?
    Or more specifically, the Lower region?
    I WIN!
    I WON, MOTHERFUCKERS!

By Rowlf on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 08:34 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact