Protest.

sorabji.com: Why I oughta...: Protest.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Lapis on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 04:07 am:

Hey folks.

I'm in jury duty right now (lucky for me, a class action lawsuit and I'm not working starting Sunday) but when it's over it'll be back to work. It's frustrating and I've been there far too long with no vacation. Ever.

So here's the latest plan to free the mind: once jury duty is done, go back to work and give my boss a month's notice. Pack up most of my things to store at my parents' house, give away my bikes and publish my notes about the trial as a zine before packing some clothes and a camera and head south to protest the WTO in Miami in November.

It would be neat to see if I could actually do it. Go somewhere where nothing is familiar except the language and be on my own for real. Escape day to day draglife and move on.

Any advice?

By dave. on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 04:28 am:

develop a support network and party a lot.

By Lapis on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 12:03 pm:

Thanks. I'll do that.

By Lapis on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

And join the black bloc.

By Rollin on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 08:14 pm:

just dip your stick in ink and write your name in the sand on the beach in miami...

what protest?

By Lapis on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 10:53 pm:

WTO protest. They're having a WTO conference in Miami in November, or so I've heard.

By agatha on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 02:05 pm:

Don't take this the wrong way, Lapis, but but I would recommend being really well informed about all of the issues related to the WTO, from both sides of the spectrum, before you go to the protest. Nothing is worse than when a protester is interviewed and doesn't have anything eloquent or thoughtful to say. Not saying that that would be you, but I know you could really kick ass and make a difference if you were really well read up on the issues.

That's all the advice I have for you. Otherwise, more power to you! It will be an exciting and memorable time.

By Antigone on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 03:47 pm:

Ditto. Learn all you can, and try to see the other side...all sides, for that matter. Nothing will hurt your cause more than ignorance. Even if you risk being swayed by the other side's arguments, you should learn them. There's no better way to learn how to refute them.

Listen...REALLY LISTEN...to what others you disagree with have to say.

By semillama on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:33 am:

How are you getting there? You should stay with any sorabjites that are on your route.

(if you are going through ATL, you could stay with Kazoo)

By TBone on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:04 pm:

I've got two fold-out couches and assorted other crash bedding. You're welcome, though we're kinda out of your way.

That goes for any of ya!

By kazoo on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 03:36 pm:

Lapis, drop me an e-mail if you go through Atlanta and you want to meet up or if you need a place to crash.

By Rollin on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 11:33 pm:

True enough. How do you feel about the restructuring of the WTO as the TRO? Too much hyperbole(?)... possibly.

For clarifiction, enjoy your stay in Miami (dip your stick...) and anticipate your rewards...

Truth to tell, protests are only good for as long as they last. Are you a John Lennon fan? and how about a revolution?

By Lapis on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 03:30 pm:

John Lennon... sure. He died a year before I was born, but an amazing artist.

The LS is going to Gonzaga for school and not taking the Ostrichmobile... I'm thinking about talking to my parents and working out some sort of deal so I'd have something to drive. My licence doesn't expire 'til January, maybe if I renewed it before I left. My insurance should go down, it's been three years since my accident.

I really am not quite so sure where to go, why just Miami? I know I want to be in Atlanta in March, my cousin's getting married and it would be neat to see her in her city.

Mostly this will be about the open road and the people I meet, writing letters and taking pictures and exploring new places. Wearing glasses and drinking roadstop coffee thick as cement. Reading Kerouac and Cometbus.

Not to mention not working.

By Vilnius viper on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 12:12 am:

enjoy it and tell us about it.

By Boycrazybitch on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:37 am:

im in need of serious advice,c there is this boy in school i love,but i moved away so i don't c him i mean we live in different states and i no he liked me,but in this state were i live there is this new boy i think i've fallen in love with,we flirt all the time but i don't no if he
    likes me,and if i should go for this guy or track down the guy in my old state?HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

By wisper on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 05:33 am:

so, let me get this straight.
    You're "in love" with the new guy, but never moved past some light flirting, and you don't know if he even likes you??

You need to get your definiton of 'love' worked out first, missy.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:02 am:

She would a dictionary to do so, and obviously she's not in the habit of consulting one on a regular basis.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact