send out some form letters!

sorabji.com: Why I oughta...: send out some form letters!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:40 am:

By dave. on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:56 am:

they think we're idiots.

By semillama on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:43 pm:

Well, we think they're idiots. One group at least has to be right.

By patrick on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

jesus christ.

By wisper on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:29 pm:

holy fucking shit.

By J on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 12:47 pm:

Looks like big bro is doing some big time spinning.And what about these suicides by our enlisted soldiers?

By spunky on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 03:02 pm:

The 2nd Battalion of the 503rd Infantry Regiment commander Lt. Col. Dominic Caraccilo said the letter-writing initiative was all his idea.

Caraccilo said he circulated the form letter to his soldiers to give them "an opportunity to let their respective hometowns know what they are accomplishing here in Kirkuk. As you might expect, they are working at an extremely fast pace and getting the good news back home is not always easy. We thought it would be a good idea to encapsulate what we as a battalion have accomplished since arriving Iraq and share that pride with people back home.
    "Every soldier who signed that letter did so after a careful read. Some, who could find the time, decided to send their own versions, while others chose not to take part in the initiative.

"the letter perfectly reflects what each of these brave soldiers has and continues to accomplish on the ground.
    "With the current and ongoing media focus on casualties and terrorist attacks, we thought it equally important to share with the American public, and especially the folks from our soldier's hometowns, the good news associated with our work in Kirkuk."

One of the soldier's Mother:
    "I thought the letter was a good representation of what they are doing over there in Kirkuk," she said. "It just showed the positive aspect that is coming out of the war, and what they, our soldiers, are doing over there for the Iraqi people."

By semillama on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 04:19 pm:

Whoopsie!

"Every soldier who signed that letter did so after a careful read. Some, who could find the time, decided to send their own versions, while others chose not to take part in the initiative."

LIE.

"A seventh soldier didn't know about the letter until his father congratulated him for getting it published in the local newspaper in Beckley, W.Va.

"When I told him he wrote such a good letter, he said: 'What letter?' " Timothy Deaconson said Friday, recalling the phone conversation he had with his son, Nick. "This is just not his (writing) style." "

"Sgt. Shawn Grueser of Poca, W.Va., said he spoke to a military public affairs officer whose name he couldn't remember about his accomplishments in Iraq for what he thought was a news release to be sent to his hometown paper in Charleston, W.Va. But the 2nd Battalion soldier said he did not sign any letter.

Although Grueser said he agrees with the letter's sentiments, he was uncomfortable that a letter with his signature did not contain his own words or spell out his own accomplishments.

"It makes it look like you cheated on a test, and everybody got the same grade," Grueser said by phone from a base in Italy where he had just arrived from Iraq. "

from the original article.

By wisper on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 06:41 pm:

well, big huge lie or big group hug, it was an obvious (and creepy!) bad idea.

i feel as though they should have mentioned it was a form letter somewhere on it......

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:59 am:

I mean, I have nothing against signing your name to a form letter if you agree with the contents. But in this case, I think it hurts the case they are trying to make rather than helps it. They should have had individual soldiers write individual letters. Much more effective. The way they did it, it left it wide open to doubts about authenticity of intent. It really can look like a propaganda attempt aimed at the homeland, and it totally undermines the intent of the action. ESPECIALLY when some of the letters were not signed by the person whose name appeared on it. That's a bad bad mistake. And it's what makes me think that it wasn't an official attempt at propaganda.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:45 pm:

yeah, youd think with the shitload of troops over there, they could find 20 of them that could be persuaded to write a nice letter right?

you get the impression that was Bush's idea? I mean really, it seems like a skit on SNL.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:54 pm:

I think the Lt Col acted on his own.
    This does not smell like bush prop.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:17 pm:

You know, if you read that last sentence too quickly...

By Dominic Caraccilo on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 04:14 pm:

Friends, I don’t know if you all realize this, but the good Lord has given us the technology to kill folks without destroying His precious oil fields. And that’s important, when you consider the fact that those turban-wearing, moon-worshipping, dirt people have the second largest supply of oil in the world. I see from your faces that some of you petrochemical folks in the Gold Tither pews know where I am going with this! With a reason for the war on the table, we could have flattened Babylon and been looking at a long, steaming summer full of cheap gas instead of unseemly court martials, which are just like catnip to America-hating pansies.

By Antigone on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:09 pm:

You know who hates America? Those who would say such things in support of it.

You hate America's soul. You hate the very ideals America was born to protect.

By 1st Lt. Mark V. Shaney USMC on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 10:42 am:

One Iraqi man asked me that. A vast majority of the block. at the range and it came apart and he couldn’t get the gun put back together either. Trying not to many people were in it, it just destroyed our TV, not to laugh, I tell him not to bad, then a Car bomb went off at the breast of my head. I know how a lot to do bad things for my freedom.

Sgt. ryone in the road, they were placed on a raid about a week ago I broke my nose, it hurt, I had climbed the wall into the compund, to check the gate and I to sleep well.

To all those men and women fighting like hell for you and I attempt to reconnect the slide to the Air Base, I made sure we kept our weapons unloaded while in Iraq. I couldn’t think of any viable scenario where the time it takes to put a clip in the yard alone, when we began to take care of our duties we traveled around the war zone and checked up on the ANG and AFRC troops and made sure they were getting treated fairly.

So while I was doing, but I was going to his basic training. Well, after thirteen weeks of a child...Let no one take this from him.

I know how a lot to do before traveling (packing, laundry drop off, working out, putting DCU (Desert Camouflage Uniform) covers on our body armor…) we agreed to take fire from the 3 star AFRC general to the “armory” on Monday afternoon to get nervous and starts to question if I know he's a very cool thing, indeed.

Anyway, I asked Ray what the ribbons were for. I decided, though, that wouldn't be right. So, I'll just let you imagine what it may have been part of some secret mission, or maybe involved in a life saving operation or something. He smiled as he explained. ""This one,"" he said, ""is for graduating basic training."" Huh??

Come again?? You get a ribbon for that? I didn't get one. All I got was the title of a genius and the 3 star ANG General and the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor to prove it. Okay, I'm on top with this one. He pointed to another one. ""I got this one for the half day we spent carrying the M16 rifle. We even fired a few people, and various other things. It makes me sick that my taxes are being spent to fund stupidity.

Semper Fi - Tempus fugit!

1st Lt. Mark V. Shaney USMC
    Baghdad, Iraq

By Spider on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 12:11 pm:

Not to cast aspersions on the men and women of the US military...but.....so much of that made no sense syntactically.

"So while I was doing, but I was going to his basic training. Well, after thirteen weeks of a child...Let no one take this from him."

Wha-?

By Spider on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 12:12 pm:

Or was that the point, and was I just whooshed?

By agatha on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 12:14 pm:

I was wondering the same thing. Grammar?

By semillama on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 12:19 pm:

Yeah. I find it pretty incredible that a 1st Lieutenant in the USMC would be unable to communicate in basic english. It almost sounds like it was written in a different language and then translated using something like babelfish.

By Antigone on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 01:28 pm:

Mark V. Shaney

The e-mail link on the post is to markv_chaney. The profile is for markvchaney. His name (also on the profile) is Mark Shaney.

On the profile, check out the "cool links."

Also, Mr Shaney is from the same city Spunky lives.

And even though the profile was last updated (and created) a little over two weeks ago, it says nothing about being a soldier in Iraq. Occupation: Consultant.

By Antigone on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 01:38 pm:

Interestingly, the profile for Dominic Caraccilo was only created on 6/27/2004, even more recently than Mark Shaney's profile.

By Antigone on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 01:40 pm:

Oops. Not created. Last updated. But note that the profile is blank.

By beta on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 11:16 am:

"so a car bomb went off at the breast of my head"

awesome...

the coherent parts come from this site

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact