I Dunno If This Was True, But If It Is, It Counts As News...

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: I Dunno If This Was True, But If It Is, It Counts As News...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By R.C. on Friday, April 2, 1999 - 04:31 am:

Even tho' it's from 1995/it's news to me. An aquaintance of mine in Cali (no -- not Nate. He never writes... He never calls...) e-mailed me this
    today. And she rarely writes to me/so I figure it must be legit.

<When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" statement but followed it by several remarks, usual comtraffic between him, the other astronauts and Mission Control.

Just before he re-entered the lander, however, he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people questioned Armstrong as to what the "Good luck,
    Mr.Gorsky" statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled.

On July 5, 1995 in Tampa Bay, FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had finally died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

When he was a kid, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball, which landed in the front of his neighbor's
    bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. & Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. "Sex! You want sex? You'll get sex when the kid next door walks on
    the moon!"

True story.>

[I can't swear it's true. But no -- it's not an April Fool. I just happened to get her e-mail today.]

By Buzz on Friday, April 2, 1999 - 10:23 am:

I was reading an article in "The Web" a little while ago, and that story was no. 7 in the top ten urban legends of cyberspace.

There is also, strangely enough, a song by a British band called "Sleeper" called "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

By Gee on Saturday, April 3, 1999 - 02:32 am:

By R.C. on Saturday, April 3, 1999 - 06:15 am:

DAMN! Is EVERYTHING I believe a fucking urban legend?

Next thing y'know/I'll find out Swine is a 12-yr- old farmgirl w/braces & bad acne/living in Wisconsin.

It's 6:15 am & I needa drink...

By Cyst on Sunday, April 4, 1999 - 06:31 am:

supposedly, for real, armstrong didn't say "one small step for man," like it sounds like he's saying on all the tapes I've heard.

he said, "it's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

you just can't really hear the "a" in there.

By Gee on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 02:12 am:

[ahem] For those who didn't click the second clicka in the above post...Armstrong was Supposed to say "One small step for *a* man...etc.", but the doofus bumbled his one freaking line.

By R.C. on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 02:48 am:

Nonononono -- NASA's tape recordings of his
    remarks were too garbled for them to make out the *a* before 'man' (remember -- this was in the days before digital). But he did say it right.

By Nate on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 11:40 am:

nonono-- Armstrong was in the blacklodge talking backwards.

i was in the command module with an icepick raping Armstrong's memories of his mom.

all audio was taped beforehand for the sake of the media.

JFK.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, December 1, 2007 - 08:15 pm:

There was a rare footage of Neil Armstrong fumble as he climbed down, this was his first foot landing, however, it was never aired, he has to do it again before it aired live. I know I had a rare footage of him fumbled as he step down and fell down. couldn't find it on my files.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact