set your computer for year 2000

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: set your computer for year 2000
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Curiouser on Saturday, August 7, 1999 - 07:27 pm:

if it isn't already:

"I received this in e-mail this morning. I hope it helps you all....... Julie

For those running Windows, this is a fix for a small Y2K problem. After running this quick little test, much to my surprise, I learned that my computer would have failed on 01-01-2000, due to a computer clock glitch.
    Fortunately, a quick fix is provided, should your computer fail the test.

TEST:
    Double click on "My Computer."
    Double click on "Control Panel."
    Double click on "Regional Settings"icon.
    Click on the "Date" tab at the top of the page.
    Where it says "Short Date Sample," look and see if it shows a "two digit" year.
    Of course it does. That's the default setting for Windows95, Windows98 and NT. This date setting is the date that feeds application software and WILL NOT roll over in the year 2000. It will roll over to 00.
    Click on the arrow button across from "Short Date Style" and select the
    option that shows mm/dd/yyyy. (Be sure your selection has four "y's" showing not two.)
    IMPORTANT:Click on "Apply" and then on "OK" at the bottom. It is easy enough to fix, yet every single installation of Windows worldwide is
    defaulted to fail the Y2K rollover. Now you know how to prepare your computer.
    How many people know about it? How many people know to change that?
    What will be the effect? Who knows? But this is another example of the pervasiveness and systematic nature of the problem.
    Make a copy of these instructions and in five minutes, your computer will be ready to roll over to the year 2000."

By TBone on Saturday, August 7, 1999 - 10:24 pm:

Umm... As far as windows 95 and 98 are concerned, 00 is a perfectly okay abbreviation for 2000. Your suggestion doesn't change the way the operating system stores the time in memory, only how it shows it to you. Windows 95 will not blow up if the year changes to 00. Some software may, but changing the date appearance to 4 digits will not change that.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact