A Newsflash for My Fellow Sorabjians re: Oral Sex

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: A Newsflash for My Fellow Sorabjians re: Oral Sex
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By R.C. on Wednesday, February 2, 2000 - 09:54 pm:

Guess I shoulda put this under the Sex boards. But they're pretty full.

God praise The Web/which allows my broke ass to read 5 major newspapers per day for free!
    -------------------------------------------------
    RISK OF AIDS FROM ORAL SEX IS CONFIRMED

By Richard A. Knox, Globe Staff, 2/2/2000

The risk of transmitting the AIDS virus through oral sex is higher than experts previously thought, according to a government-funded study unveiled yesterday.

About 8 percent of a group of 102 gay and bisexual men acquired the human immunodeficiency virus through oral-genital contact, researchers found - four to eight times higher than many scientists believed. Moreover, that is probably an underestimate of the risk, one federal health official said.

''I think that 8 percent number caught a lot of people by surprise,'' Dr. Ronald Valdiserri of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in an interview. ''A substantial minority of newly infected men were infected by this route.''

''We're surprised but not shocked,'' said Jeff Jacobs of AIDS Action, a Washington-based lobbying group. ''I think this will be news in the AIDS community, and I think it should be news in the community.''

While earlier research suggested that HIV transmission was possible during oral sex, the new study is the strongest evidence that it actually occurs at a significant rate, at least among gay and bisexual men. There is no reason, Valdiserri said, that women who engage in oral sex with HIV-infected men are not also at significant risk.

In fact, the findings have public health significance for teenagers and young adults of both sexes who are becoming sexually active, who may have assumed that oral sex poses no risk of AIDS.

''Not just gay men have oral sex,'' Valdiserri said. ''We need to be sure that young people, many of whom practice oral sex as an alternative to vaginal sex, need to understand there's a risk here.''

Oral transmission of HIV does not require that a person have open sores or bleeding gums, the CDC official said.

''The virus is found not just in semen but in preejaculate,'' Valdiserri said. ''And someone need not have grossly bleeding gums. Tiny nicks and abrasions probably could give a portal of entry to the virus.''
    --------------------------------------------------

The read the complete article/or to make sure I'm not just making this up/you can check out today's
    Boston Globe here:
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/033/nation/Risk_of_AIDS_from_oral_sex_is_confirmed+.shtml

So, be careful out there.

By Gee on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 03:10 am:

man. that's so dissapointing.

By Nate on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 11:23 am:

not to try to undermine any safer sex practices, but this study should be taken with a grain of salt:

1) 102 men is a small sample.

2) the 102 men are all from SF (where there is an elevated percentage of HIV positive gay males)

3) the percentage who aquired HIV via oral sex is higher than expected largely because HIV prevention is WORKING. less people are aquiring HIV because of lack of condom usage, so the percentage of those who aquire via oral rises though actual # of cases does not (necessarily.)

4) as un PC as this may sound, in the white population HIV is and has always been largely a gay man's disease. by the numbers.

that said, the risk is still there. use a condom. even when going down.

damnit.

By sarah on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 04:41 pm:

i would not suck a cock if it's covered in latex.

By sarah on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 04:41 pm:

if only peanut butter could help prevent STDs...

By Patrick on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 06:05 pm:

i have always thought that would be really weird.....coking sucking and latex.....

By semillama on Friday, February 4, 2000 - 12:57 am:

Quick! Invest in flavored condoms! Maybe add nicotine to them as well. Might as well make good sexual behavior addictive, right?

By Isolde on Friday, February 4, 2000 - 01:02 am:

Have you ever tasted those things? *spits* Jesus. More disgusting than semen, let me tell you. I don't understand how they remain on the market. I would rather eat small furry animals alive and screaming than taste that latex again.

By semillama on Friday, February 4, 2000 - 02:05 am:

Well, I know that, the idea is to make them actually taste good. Maybe get Ben and Jerry involved somehow.

By sarah on Friday, February 4, 2000 - 03:00 am:

peanut butter cup flavored condoms. chocolate fudge brownie flavored condoms.

chunky monkey... ?

but they'd have to be made out of ice cream, not latex. otherwise, no suckie.

By R.C. on Friday, February 4, 2000 - 06:49 am:

Hey, if Linda Tripp can practically get a head transplant/& they've already invented candie panties/ someone will com up w/flavored condoms that don't taste like latex.

There's a new project for you, Nate!

By Jim aka Pajama on Friday, February 4, 2000 - 09:39 am:

Or maybe spray some Fabreze on the condom, and VOILA!

By Czarina on Friday, February 4, 2000 - 10:22 am:

I'd suck the chunky monkey

By Nate on Friday, February 4, 2000 - 11:28 am:

ok. where the fuck is chordata? we need a line into Ben & Jerry's. Jesus... B&J's BJ aids... this could be big.

"Straight men go gay for B&J's BJ aids"

By Jim aka Pajama on Saturday, February 5, 2000 - 10:40 am:

ROFL

WavyGravy... *GULP*

By Markus on Saturday, February 5, 2000 - 02:56 pm:

The guy or the flavor?

Just asking.

By Isolde on Saturday, February 5, 2000 - 09:18 pm:

How about that stuff with little cows...Bovinity Divinity? Just imagine...little condoms with chocolate covered cows you could eat off...Almost like whipped cream/M&M kind of deal. Anyway.

By semillama on Saturday, February 5, 2000 - 11:43 pm:

two words . . . Fudge Dipped.

Hehehehehehe

By Daniel on Sunday, February 6, 2000 - 01:06 am:

One of the counselors I was supervising about eleven years ago accompanied me to a workshop on the then new topic of HIV virus. A rather rotund middle aged female presenter was seriously and rather boringly extolling the virtues of using yes, that wonderful non-latex no-taste-to-it plastic "saran wrap" in fellatio and cunninguluuss-n-them-too..when my fellow employee blurted out, "Lady, that's like trying to eat a sandwich through the baggie." The workshop lightened up a little after that. Do they have flavored saran wrap, a multipurpose kitchen necessity, or glow in the dark kind I wonder...

By Daniel on Sunday, February 6, 2000 - 01:08 am:

P.S. I live in Missouri and *new* products always reach us last it seems...

By Jim aka Pajama on Sunday, February 6, 2000 - 08:48 am:

Markus: the flavor.. THE FLAVOR!!!

Daniel: don't the preverbial they make flavored dental dams?

By Daniel on Sunday, February 6, 2000 - 03:09 pm:

Damn!
    that flavored Wrap,
    for a taste that can't be beat
    Damn!
    that glistening flash
    for midnight flossing
    that lasts and lasts...
    Damn!
    those dental freaks
    sticking their tongues in flavored cheeks
    Damn!
    saran saran!
    saran ! saran!
    Wrap 'em up
    where ever they meet...

And I gotta say, The Box Says:
    "clings where other wraps only want to..."
    "retains oven freshness of baked goods"
    "keeps tasty morsels fresher, longer"
    "keeps paint brushes from drying out and
    tools from rusting"
    "with a push and lock tab at each end"
    "caution: keep all plastic bags out of the reach of small children"

By Markus on Sunday, February 6, 2000 - 04:26 pm:

Is there any more offputting phrase than dental dam?

By Jim aka Pajama on Sunday, February 6, 2000 - 04:45 pm:

Ummmmm. Twat licker?

By sarah on Sunday, February 6, 2000 - 07:14 pm:

the words "dental" and "oral sex" should never be used in the same sentence.

ooops.

By Isolde on Sunday, February 6, 2000 - 09:42 pm:

We use dental dam at work. They don't let anyone other than dentists order it in sheets of larger than three inches, so we have to order it through a dentist. It's kind of a pain. What I want to know is: what happened to cause them to decide that?

By heather on Sunday, February 6, 2000 - 10:57 pm:

what i want to know is: where do you work?

By Isolde on Sunday, February 6, 2000 - 11:05 pm:

Do you really want to know?

Actually, we don't use dental dam for anything dirty. We use it for packing on our Chandler and Price, because it's the perfect substance for that particular press. It gives us a nice, crisp impression and isn't hard on the type, which is hard to get with a little handpress like that one, especially since I restored it, so it's not really in "origional condition." and the stuff is cheaper than any other packing like it.

And I work for a letterpress printer and graphic designer when I'm not at the theatre.

By Agatha on Monday, February 7, 2000 - 05:24 am:

isolde, i just got a chandler and price. thanks for the tip.

By Patrick on Monday, February 7, 2000 - 01:47 pm:

i have said it before...i am so glad i am married...no saran wrapped cock for me......jesus christ...that would suck

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, February 7, 2000 - 03:03 pm:

Patrick: you're a doll. you crack me up.

By Patrick on Monday, February 7, 2000 - 03:11 pm:

thats WAS indeed funny, and unintentional too. When i hit the post button, it dawned on me.....

should the worst ever happen and my wife and i split. I can't imagine going through the dating crap...as detailed in all it's follies and illogic here at sorabji (much less my own experiences here in lalaland), then when you do finally secure the sex part, you gotta go wrapping yer jimmy up in kitchen aids and call it stimulation.

On a side note, i always had a hard time with condoms (get it..."hard.." oh man!)....so perhaps i have stigma....

By heather on Monday, February 7, 2000 - 03:14 pm:

hey i thought i posted something...anyway, here i go again

patrick,
    i just want to say that that happy marriage stuff is really cool

By Patrick on Monday, February 7, 2000 - 03:21 pm:

well, aside from the fact that I am told that alot, and thats sweet of you, but think of it.....maybe i am spoiled...i only had two other fucks before my wife......condoms were involved, they suck, they broke, and they even prevented at times...fuck that! i know its good thing for the folks who move around.......but fucking-a, to suck some one with saran wrap or a condom, thats dismal......

By crimson on Monday, February 7, 2000 - 03:57 pm:

hmm...guess this is going to sound odd, but i still use condoms. i've used them since i was in my early teens & have no real plans to stop. maybe after menopause, i'd consider ditching them. but it's better than than facing the risks associated w/ other forms of birth control & it's better than spreading disease. & i don't really know, outside of getting raped, what it feels like to have a guy NOT using a condom. bottom line: rubbers aren't that fucking bad. in all my years of chasing ass, i've never had a guy not get off because of a rubber--although i've met a lot of dopes who won't carry the damn things, which is why i always do. never know when they'll come in handy.

the whole oral condom thing is kinda funny...had a friend from the UK visit here & leave some weird flavored oral condoms. they were flavored like various food & alcohol. i'd never considered the possibility of whiskey-flavored condoms before. around here, the stores just carry the boring old mint ones.

By Cletus on Monday, February 7, 2000 - 05:37 pm:

Whiskey flavored!!....gawddammit!!!

By Rodney on Tuesday, February 8, 2000 - 01:09 am:

Back i Appalachia, me n ma sister we'd take a big jar o chunky monkey A & P Brand Penis Butter, some lemon crawdad flavored jello saran wrap, and a crock o daddie's best shine 'fore skin wood hit the wall, y'all know, right next that man in da boat thingie came alive, o gee golly whut fun we'd have! niver worried bout no damn diseases when ya keep it all in the family. We all funny anyhow. Like y'all.

By Isolde on Tuesday, February 8, 2000 - 01:38 am:

I love my Chandy. I'm thinking of selling it before I move, actually. But it's my favorite press. If I had a magnetic base for photo-polymers, I'd do all my work on that little baby except the big broadsides. I just printed a _huge_ two colour mailing lael job. I never want to see a mailing label _ever_ again.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact