Sometimes Cops are Power Mad Authority Mongers, and Sometimes They Show Amazing Forbearance

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Sometimes Cops are Power Mad Authority Mongers, and Sometimes They Show Amazing Forbearance
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Margret on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 05:07 pm:

By Markus on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 05:19 pm:

Lessee, four juveniles in a five hour standoff with 2 twelve packs, and "Officers recovered...part of the stolen beer". What's wrong with kids these days. We never had any beer left during our armed standoffs. In fact, that's usually why we gave up.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 05:38 pm:

By droopy on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 06:15 pm:

you can have my beer when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

By Isolde on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 07:45 pm:

My sentiments exactly.

By J on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 02:26 am:

I want to get drunk with you droopy.your my kind.

By droopy on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 03:30 am:

i'm not an interesting drunk anymore. you can pour a bottle of jack daniels down my throat and i will probably get only mildly conversational.

last weekend an old buddy of mine named joe showed up at my door after having disappeared off the the face of the earth 5 years ago. i bought us a bottle of wine (he's italian) and caught up.

he tells me about the moment that changed his life.

this is about 5 years ago, just before he disappeared. he'd been out at possum lake with his cousin frank and 2 other guys, snortin' coke and drinkin' beer. joe's uncle louie (our local mafioso) had some condos or something out there that he was in the process of building. down the shoreline from them there's a party going on at one of the docks. joe, being the gregarious bastard that he is, decides to go over there and try to join the festivities.

it's twelve guys, big guys; he strolls down the dock with the other 3 in his party not far behind. he holds out his hand to the first guy he comes to and says "hey, i'm joe!" the guy immediately makes a fist and cocks his arm back. joe backs away quickly and the guy only clips him in the chin. joe's cousin frank sees this and, being the hot-blooded little italian that he is, rushes over to this guy, who gives frank a roundhouse that sends him of the dock, bouncing off a boat, and into the water.

so they fish frank out of the water. he wants the four of them to go back up to dock and take on these 12 guys. joe says "no fuckin' way." frank says they can get two guys from up at the condos. joe points that still makes only 6 against 12 and one of the guys from the condos ain't worth shit anyway. frank gets them anyway and starts leading them all back to the dock.

joe tells me: "this may be the most cowardly thing i've ever done, but i told frank there was no way i'm getting into this scrap. if it was defense, if they were attacking you, i'd be there, man; but this is just fucking crazy. if you have to do this, i'm staying right here. if things get bad, you guys can come back, all of you get behind me, and i'll break this bottle and fight 'em off."

joe gives a fairly vivid description of the ten-minute massacre. frank and the rest of the guys, black and blue and bloody, run back to where joe is. true to his word, joe's got a broken bottle in his hand.

"so i've got frank and the rest of 'em behind me, and the guys from the docks coming fast. i gave the first one who came up to me a swipe with the bottle - he jumped back, but i managed to knick him enough to draw blood. which is good, cause you gotta show 'em you're really gonna use it. the kind of backed off, and we started backing our way up to the condos."

the guys from the docks follow them. i can't remember how this happened, but at the condo the brawl begins again with lawn furniture. joe folds up a chair and frisbees it at some guy who's got frank and the ground, pounding his face. the chair tears a gash in the guy's forehead. somehow during all this one of joe's party sneaks off and finds a gun somewhere in the condo. he comes and just fires a couple of shots into the air. the dock guys leave.

joe's great life lesson is that not everybody is going to be friendly to you. this confuses me because this guy's been in a thousand fights and i have no idea why this particular one, not even as bad as some had been, should cause this revelation.

anyway, after this he goes off and gets married and has a kid. he's not particularly happy in his marriage, and cheated on his wife (blanca) several times. he says he wants the marriage to last long enough for the child to know that he's his father.

By droopy on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 03:31 am:

interesting stuff like that doesn't happen to me anymore

By J on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 04:21 am:

I find you very interesting,don,t be so down on yourself,you are very smart,you have a good sense of humor,and you cook,that,s a 10 in my book.I wasn,t kidding about that triva game,are you just blowing me off?

By droopy on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 03:37 pm:

i wasn't blowing you off, i just didn't see it. i crawled into bed after writing the saga of joe. sure i'll play trivia with you. i'm no cyst, though. i'm leaving the computer after this post, but you can reach me at the above address.

and i wasn't being hard on myself. just pointing out that my life lacks the excitement it once had. ;)

By R.C. on Friday, March 3, 2000 - 01:43 am:

If you're this interesting sober, Droopy/you must be Fascinatin' when you're drunk!

By J on Friday, March 3, 2000 - 02:50 pm:

Give me a day or two to find it again Droopy,it,s on of the few where you can have a partner.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact