intel

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: intel
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Zephyr on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 10:00 pm:

By Jay on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 10:08 pm:

get them to buy it for you at work.
    at my job they just went out and bought a flat screen monitor cause the other one "took up to much room"
    it's like, jesus, for 2 grand couldn't you have bought a bigger desk?
    not my money though.
    your tax dollars at work.
    thanks.

By Zephyr on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 10:15 pm:

um, ok, you're welcome.

Wait a second! I'm only 16! I SERIOUSLY doubt that a grocery store is going to buy me a friggin pentium 4...

By Jay on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 10:23 pm:

yeah, probably right.
    steal a few gallons of milk then and sell them outside to the soccer moms for a discount.
    you'll have 3 grand in no time.

By Bell_jar on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 12:18 am:

ever read the short story _A&P_?

By Zephyr on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 02:47 am:

Nooo....by whom?

By Nate on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 09:42 am:

By Dougie on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 10:07 am:

Is C# released yet? Is it like C, or do you have to learn a whole new language? Anybody try it yet?

By Nate on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 10:47 am:

it will be part of VS 7. it is not released yet. it is in the same realm as C++/JAVA, i'd say.

microsoft is run brilliantly, i think. C# is going to mesh well with NT (ie. OS specific low level functionality) plus provide improved ease in developing network applications. this is going to push NT as a platform to further extent, because NT will be the easiest and quickest way to put powerful net apps into production.

And every new NT server that goes up is an arrow in the side of Java, not to mention all the other OS shops (SUN, HP, etc.) Reduce the multi-platforms and a platform independant language becomes less and less important.

Bundle this with other MS technologies, like COM (which is technically platform independant, but in practice is not,) and MS is leveraging itself to be a monopoly within the guidelines of the sherman act.

which is wonderful.

By Cat on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 04:21 pm:

Yeah, but will it hand wash silk panties?

By Zephyr on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 04:44 pm:

Well...so long as I don't have to learn another lang., (c# being based on c and java, i presume) it shouldn't be too bad...

And hey, hand washing moth by-product undergarments shouldn't be too far off now! That's going to be here right after the flying cars and the...what?

By Isolde on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 06:37 pm:

One of the big-wigs at work just bought a $1,000 armchair. Bleh. My worth is proven once again.

By Zephyr on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 06:50 pm:

What the fuck makes an armchair cost 1000$?

By M on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 06:52 pm:

Our recent big-wig meeting was held in Prague. No clients attended and we don't have an office there but I hear they got a lot of work done. no merit increase across the board? hmmm...

By Antigone on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 10:48 pm:

C# is a virtual copy of Java. Where it differs
    from Java it, for the most part, makes bad
    decisions. I mean, the keyword for turning off
    garbage collection is "unsafe" for chrissakes!
    With that one "feature" alone you nuke the
    possibility of any runtime optimization. There's
    also the apparent lack of multithreadding...

This post
    on slashdot describes my opinion of it
    pretty well.

And, don't even get me started on the .net "you'll
    be RENTING your software from now on" platform...

By Isolde on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 11:51 am:

It's leather...it's stuffed with some wierd crap...I DON'T KNOW! But it made me sad.

By Jay on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 01:59 pm:

i had a friend tell me about this shop that sold nothing but pens and they had pens in there upwards of 3 grand.
    now tell me what makes a PEN worth 3 grand. you can't even relax in one of those.
    one day i hope to be a big wig. then everyone will have $1,000 chairs and i'll have a $5,000 chair.

By Isolde on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 03:15 pm:

Well, try looking at some of the Waterman pens. They have jade inlay and golden nibs and stuff. It's nuts.

By Zephyr on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 05:13 pm:

Why on earth would anyone even CONSIDER wasting that kind of money on piddling crap such as that?

I even think that all those gold and expensive gem-encrusted items and such are ugly! Ha!

If I'm ever a bigwig, well, HA!
    I'll use the pens that come $.99 for 10, have a cheap Ikea chair, (those are nice...I really like Ikea's designers) and just otherwise live nice and cheap, I feel that it's stupid to just flaunt your wealth on stuff that you will be using...I mean, a pen is meant to be carried around, right, and written with, but "so that the finish on the diamonds won't wear out" or "so that the gold nibs won't get scratched", would probably be a common thing among people who use that sort of thing...and their explanation for why they don't use them. Pens are meant to be written with, not admired! And Chairs! You're supposed to SIT in them, not admire the amazing job your maids did polishing the leather to a sheen so that you can see the reflection of your gold and ruby encrusted rolex in it, with your platinum and emerald glasses! I just want the chair to be functional and comfortable. That's it. And not look awful, just nice. Like a nice color.

Ok, way to go off on a tangent.

Well, to get back to my main point...people who live by status symbols that display so fraglantly their paychecks, FUCK YOU!

By Isolde on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 06:04 pm:

I agree, but as for the pen thing, I add this--my parents gave me a Waterman for a graduation present when I entered college. It's the best pen I've ever had. I still use it. Fuck the gold-plated nib. (It was treated, actually, so the gold hasn't worn off yet.) It delivers a nice form, and I totally love it. But I would never go out and buy one, it's true.
    If I were a big wig I would buy what I needed, and whatever quality I felt was appropriate for the job. But I'm not, so it's not worth bothering my head about.

By Jay on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 08:33 pm:

i was kidding about spending 5 grand on a chair. i don't think i'd want to be a big wig in the first place. to much responsibility for me.
    it would be nice to blow some raisin bran farts into a five thousand dollar chair though.

By Biro on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 11:57 pm:

Buy a Bean Bag, good farting furniture. My preference is a good hard seat so you can get a rise at the same time. Whenever I am in good company I always want to fart, nervousness I suppose, I have to quietly slip outside and let it rip and hope the smell doesn't follow me in.

By dave. on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 03:03 am:

see, i'm just the opposite. i ninjafart. i walk through a room farting like mad and pretend not to smell it. i actually target the highest concentrations of people and move through them farting and smiling. i really like it that molecules from my colon will be going into other people's noses and landing on their tongues.

By Biro on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 12:18 pm:

You and Jay have lot in common.

By Jay on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 03:06 pm:

ninja-fart. thats good.

By Nate on Sunday, July 2, 2000 - 01:07 pm:

hmm, tastes like dave's colon in here.

By Zephyr on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 09:50 am:

Mmmm...my favourite!

Actually, as of late, I've been eating alot of raisin bran...thank you, Jay and Dave, great mentors of the art of gaseous release!

By Jay on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 10:23 am:

ah yes, you make me proud young grasshopper.

By Biro on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 08:38 pm:

Big Ninja fart going on now.......... I am feeling at some sort of crossroad in my life. Death,life, afterlife, am having an identity crisis. Too many bad things happening. My eternal optimism has a slight dent.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact