the bar burned down

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: the bar burned down
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 12:23 am:

the oui lounge is an institution. a bar among bars. a bar's bar.

"I heard some disturbing news this morning--the Oui Lounge burned to the ground. Can anyone in the FW area confirm this?

-KLH"

"It's true - have pics and will send them on...I will forever refer to yesterday as "Black Tuesday."

"You are all sick and decadent people! A more important question is where are the regulars who start out there a 10 each morning going to go today. Most don't know there are other bars in Fort Worth."

"Are there other bars in Fort Worth?"

"Didn't know if you all had heard the sad news. Start a the bottom and read all the attached emails. Liz, I know how much you hate a bunch of forwarded emails, but this one is worth reading."

"Yes, I did hear the sad news! Word on the street is that the staff and regulars have migrated to the Poop Deck - hopefully that is just a bad rumor"

By Antigone on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 02:13 am:

Go and gather a charred cinder from the sad remains.

Head to the nearest whiskey bar, and put the cinder in a shot of 20 year old Glenmorangie.

Let soak.

Chew on the soot, and smear the ashes on your wet, tear covered face.

By Isolde on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 11:15 am:

That's an excellent plan. Maybe you should take two cinders and sell the other on eBay.

By droopy on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 03:11 pm:

Oh, show us the way to the next whisky bar
    Oh, don't ask why; Oh, don't ask why
    For we must find the next whisky bar
    For if we don't find the next whisky bar
    I tell you we must die
    I tell you we must die
    I tell you, I tell you
    I tell you we must die

Oh, moon of old Fort Worth
    We now must say good-bye
    We've lost our good ol' mamma
    And now must have whisky
    Oh, you know why

By sarah on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 03:21 pm:

Antigone, you're as weird and demented as i feel.

will you marry me? i'm not as cool as you, and i don't like to have sex, but i can cook a mean supper and i'll teach you to surf.

droop, sorry to hear about the Oui. my condolences.

By patrick on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 05:43 pm:

ever notice the ooom pa pa effect of that song

i like that

By patrick on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 08:01 pm:

By Isolde on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 09:31 pm:

Sweet Jesus.

By droopy on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 10:39 pm:

i'm never going to get "who let the dogs out--oink, oink, oink, oink" out of my head.

i don't usually tell people this, but i actually own "ute lemper sings kurt weill", with "alabama song" on it. talk about ooom pa pa.

By droopy on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 10:41 pm:

ah shit, i meant "who let the pigs out".

By Isolde on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 12:20 am:

"oink, oink, bang, bang, every day, the same old thing."
    the LA police cause in me much fear.

By Antigone on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 12:56 am:

Oink oink LA police porkers go bang on your head.
    Oink oink LA police porkers make sure you are dead.

By J on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 12:59 am:

Here comes the cop,all dressed in blue,he's after me,he's after you..

By Isolde on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 01:00 am:

Racist sexist anti-gay LAPD go away!

By droopy on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 01:42 am:

i bet it would be cool to be in a demonstratation and get hit by a rubber bullet. get shot but not actually killed, just like in the movies.

By Isolde on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 01:50 am:

did you see some of the bullet wounds protestors got in LA? Huge bruises and stuff, it was knarly.

By J on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 01:53 am:

You drinking that whiskey,Droopy?WE've lost our dear old mama,and must have whiskey once in a while!

By droopy on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 01:55 am:

when i was a kid in elementary school we used to have "bean wars" where we'd go around beaning each other with rocks, baseballs, whatever. huge bruises and stuff. it was knarly.

By Isolde on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 01:56 am:

that sounds like loads of fun. when i was in elementry school, i cut my hand going under the twirling bar.

By drooopy on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 02:36 am:

yes, j. jim beam.

once i was in the park in the middle of a roundabout called "bluebonnet circle" in texas. on one side of the roundabout was the oui lounge. it was late at night, i was about 15, and i was with about 5 other friends about the same ages. 3 big college guys came out of the oui, and one of the guys i was with yelled "fuck you" at them or something and the biggest one charged at us. the guy who had yelled ran off; the rest of us just stood there not expecting anything to actually happen.

The big college guy rammed right into my best friend, knocking him down, and started wailing on him. i jumped on the college guy's back and started wailing on him. he, of course, threw me off, jumped on me, held me in one arm and started beating me. this went on for a while (not for as long as it felt, i'm sure) and then he got and started kicking me in the face with his cowboy boots.

finally he stopped. his two friends had been there holding off my friends. they told me the college guys had had fraternity paddles, but i've never known for sure. anyway, the to others pulled their friend off me before he did any really serious damage. (i was holding my arms in front of my face, so i got out of an broken noses or concussions.)

the 3 college guys left. i walked unsteadily home with two of my friends. i felt elated. i had lost my cherry, as far as a real fight goes, a dangerous fight. bracing. i was never a tough kid or a fighter, but at least after that pounding i knew i could take it. and it was all just par for the course. no big deal. a guy had beaten me up; i went home with some cool contusions.

i find it hard to get worked up over a bunch of demonstrators getting beat up. i'm not saying that the lapd isn't wrong and they aren't all bastards. i just think that getting beaten was the whole point of that demonstration. it doesn't shock me anymore that the cops beat people. demonstrations like that are like pbs fund drives - annoying but unfortunately necessary. gotta go out and take one for our side every once in a while. i just find it hard to believe a few of 'em weren't just itchin' for the rubber bullets to fly.

besides, the cops are always beating up somebody somewhere; i don't see why you have to stage one.

either that or i'm just depressed that i can't get all worked up about it. all indignant.

damn, i wish the oui hadn't burned down.

damn shame.

By Isolde on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 02:38 am:

Wow, that fight sounds hectic.
    I think it's amusing that the cops beat a lot of people up at a police brutality protest...i know that cops in other places are a lot worse, though. I'm glad I'm not in China or something.

By patrick on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 12:36 pm:

lemme get this straight....

when you say you "beaned" someone in the head with a dodge ball?

you mean you threw a ball with great velocity as to cause harm.

i thought it was "BEAM" ...as in laser beam...i've always said "beam"

i got BEAMED in the head a with rubber bullet from a pansy cop on a horse.

has it always been this way?
    has my simple misunderstanding of one god damn letter gone on this long?
    why is it "bean" that makes no sense, where as beam does...

beam implys a direct,concentrated and potent amount of energy expelled to a specific target.

I BEAMED that funny looking kid with the drool with my Trapper Keeper...

shit, maybe im one step ahead of the rest of you.

really

just maybe

consider it

i know its hard to buy

but just for a moment

let me

patrick

stand on the kiosk

the big kiosk on the water

damn

By Isolde on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 03:19 pm:

I've always used beaned.
    But it's not my attack of choice. Thwack, for example, is much better.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact