Good bye Boogie Chillum

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Good bye Boogie Chillum
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:10 pm:

John Lee Hooker died.

damn

rest easy old soul

Boogie chillum

By on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:15 pm:

chillun

dammit

By droopy on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:32 pm:

i just heard on 'texas blues radio' that john lee had died. they played "i'm bad like jesse james" from the "live at cafe au go-go and soledad prison" album. he's backed by muddy waters and his band. it's the most badass song ever recorded.

elsewhere on these boards i have thread dedicated to john lee hooker lyrics. i'm going to drink heavily tonight.

By patrick on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:36 pm:

id love to hang with you, listen to music droop and drink heavily.

it seems apropos tonight.

fucking shame my turntable is broke...can't listen to my copy of boogie chillun.

maybe i'll throw it on the ole hi fi

By patrick on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:38 pm:

i think i just seriously irritated the dj at the college radio and TSOL.

I called and asked them to play some JL Hooker without realizing TSOL was in the studio. they cam on the air and acknowledged the death and then played some TSOL.

By droopy on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:43 pm:

texas blues radio will be on for the next hour and fifteen minutes. they just played john lee doing "this is hip."

By Dougie on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:54 pm:

It's funny, there's a rain delay on the Yankees game, so there showing the Simpsons. It's the episode where Bleeding Gums Murphy dies. Couldn't be a coincidence.

By droopy on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 08:10 pm:

jesus.

it took an australian to remind me.

there is only one true way to mourn - one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer.

By Czarina on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 09:19 am:

I am in mourning.

By Spunky on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 10:13 am:

One of my all time favorites.
    Move it over, little dog

By semillama on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 12:08 pm:

Funny to think that he and Archie Bunker arrived about the same time in the Great Beyond.

By patrick on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:31 pm:

a coworker made a good point about the way he died. though we all would like to go quietly in our sleep it would have been god damn appropriate if he just croaked right there on stage, the last pluck of the guitar ringing and feeding back.

Im talking about John lee here, i could careless about OConner

By Spunky on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:47 pm:

Hell no, never die peacefully. and never die while your doing something you loved. that would suck.
    die while doing something you hate, like cleaning up dog shit or doing your taxes.
    who wants to die while having sex or are having a 5 under par golf game or driving your 68 'stang fast back that you spent your life restoring, only to croak while drving it and your wreck the damn thing.

NEVER DIE PEACEFULLY AND NEVER DIE DOING SOMETHING YOU LOVE!

By heather on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:55 pm:

die cleaning up dog shit? FUCK NO

don't die
    forget. fall asleep.
    god will come get you

die falling from 10,000 feet
    floating

die because your heart explodes

die defending family

die after 47 days in the middle of a quiet sea. write it all down.

die knowing the difference

By droopy on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:55 pm:

i personally like the fact that his death didn't fit some romantic image. he got to jam all his life and then he died peacefully. the good lord done smiled on him.

By droopy on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 07:21 pm:

that station i linked to above is playing a set of hooker. the d.j. refers to him as "mr. hooker." they're playing "sally mae." the blues freaks my cat out. metallica bores her, but you put on the blues and she gets excited. then again, that's what i do.

By droopy on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 07:24 pm:

by the way - i can't remember what thread this was on, but nate's little rewrite of "let it be" was cool. i've been playing that on guitar.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact