ARGUE!!!!!!!!

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: ARGUE!!!!!!!!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 03:54 pm:

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/01/34/news-rosen.shtml

fuck your right to bear arms.

the hypocrisy of US policy on such matters makes me sick.

here we are condeming third world countries for arming children with ak-47s, yet we won't advocate any real measures to curb such actions gun sales.

This dumbass makes me sick:

U.S. Undersecretary of State John Bolton. “The United States believes that the responsible use of firearms is a legitimate aspect of national life,”

"National life"? What the fuck is that?

hows taht for a half assed attempt to start an arguement?

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:03 pm:

dumbass. patrick.

everyone knows that easy legal access to firearms reduces crime rates.

there are 700,000 physicians in the US and 120,000 accidental deaths caused by phsician each year.

There are 80,000,000 gun owners in the US and 1,500 accidental gun deaths per year.

that's 0.171 deaths per physician.
    0.0000188 deaths per gun owner.

doctors are about 9000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

guns don't kill people, doctors kill people.

let's not let this get out of hand.

we need legislation to end access to physicians by US citizens.

By Spider on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:05 pm:

And you think religious debates are boring.

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:12 pm:

i don't.

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:16 pm:

hey statistic boy...while you are pulling figures out your gaping rectum...tell me how many lives doctors SAVE vs how many lives guns save.

By Spider on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

Nate, you never told me where the justice was in your world-view.

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:25 pm:

joking aside...i have a problem with the US denial of a global problem that we are partly to blame for. Moreover we are applying our local standards to the international community.

The 2nd amendment has nothing to do with the rest of the world.

Its akin to nuclear proliferation. We got it, but we dont want anyone else to have it.

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:26 pm:

spider, you'll have to fill me in on your definition of justice, first.

US dept of health and human services, patfuck.

are you trying to claim that guns don't save lives?

By semillama on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:28 pm:

I thought this was even worse from the same page:
    http://www.laweekly.com/ink/01/34/news-kuipers.shtml

It's really getting to the point with the Bush Administration that you can't name a person who worked on behalf of the people instead on behalf of a corporation. It's enough to turn one Libertarian.

By Spider on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:30 pm:

Karma. Dues. Why should one bother doing good or refrain from doing wrong?

(Where is the thread in which we first talked about this, a month or so ago? I can't remember what we said.)

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:44 pm:

something like karma, i suppose. but there isn't a score card anywhere.

there is the Will. when you are not moving with the Will, you are moving against it. natural actions are what's important. good and evil are the same thing (thanks, heather.)

there is no punishment scheme.

moving against the Will is uncomfortable and your life will be shitty.

moving with the Will is comfortable and your existance improves.

it's like riding your bike in traffic. ride with traffic, and if you get hit it's more like just falling over. ride against traffic, you get hit you die.

how about you, spider? what is your justice schema?

By agatha on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 04:54 pm:

i hate that stupid guns vs doctors argument. people go to the doctor when they are sick! of course there will be more deaths there!

that is a totally ridiculous and biased argument.

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:03 pm:

the arguement against legal gun ownership is ridiculous.

we have huge borders. illegal gun ownership is going to happen, whatever we do to legal gun owners.

and every state that has implemented a carry concealed law (allowing legal gun owners to conceal handguns legally) has seen a sharp decline in violent crime.

that is fact. it counters any anti-gun argument i've ever heard.

By Antigone on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:08 pm:

Funny... This topic happens to be on my mind recently.

One of my coworkers is quite concervative, pro gun, anti abortion, etc. He used to try to discuss political issues with me all the time, even though I explicitly asked him not to, so I disuaded him by arguing him into the ground whenever he tried. (Imagine that!)

Anyway, at dinner two nights ago we got on the subject of stem cell research, about the research team in Virginia that was manufacturing human embryos to produce stem cells. Of course he said this was baby killing, ending a human life, etc.

Then the conversation migrated to guns. I guess he was on a roll or something. I was thinking of examples of why the proliferation of private gun ownership was detrimental to society, like children getting ahold of guns and accidentally shooting themselves, etc... I realized, though, that this fit in well as a rebuttal of his views on abortion. He thought that killing babies was wrong. How could he accept that a price of unrestricted gun ownership was the accidental death of a few hundred children?

I didn't persue it, though. He had a migraine and I didn't want to get him all worked up. But I also found that I couldn't really disagree with him much about gun control.

It's not that I think guns should be unrestricted, it's that I think they will be.

They're just too much a part of the American psyche. A gun empowers an individual in a way almost no other piece of technology does, and individual empowerment is an essential part of the "American Dream."

Owning a gun has always provided what I call the "I can kick your ass" factor, which is an integral part of the American psyche. Guns have helped along the "I can kick the frontier's ass" and "I can kick the government's ass" memes, which fit in with other American icons such as "We can kick any country's ass" and "I can kick my business competitor's ass."

Basically, guns fit into a niche that's just too deep to dig out. It's a niche that is highly rebellious, so authoritarian methods for changing it are unlikely to do any good, and will probably just make things worse.

So, what does this have to do with my argument with my coworker? Well, having this view on the attitude of gun owners can be instructive. You can't meet them head on, because that's exactly what they want: a confrontation, an opportunity to kick ass.

The next time I argue with my coworker, if I'm in a particularly nasty mood, I'm going to try this line:

First, start on abortion. Get him all riled up about kiling babies. Suggest that the presence of legal abortion may have helped along the precipitous reduction fo crimes perpetrated by 18-24 year olds in the early 90's. (roughly 18 years after Roe v. Wade...)

While he's still disgusted by my "acceptable child killing" views, move on to gun control. Agree with him on gun control, but point out that accepting unrestricted guns means accepting that children will die due to unavoidable gun mismanagement. Show that he is willing to accept killing children to keep the freedoms he desires. Ask, "You accept that children die so you can freely use a gun. Why can't you accept that children die so women can freely use their bodies?"

Christ, this has been a long post.

By spunky on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:13 pm:

DAMN, WHO GOT THIS POT BOILING?

By spunky on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:16 pm:

o shit, i gotta work on this one before I open my mouth.
    Abortion has nothing to do with gun control.

LIBERAL FUCKOS!

I have changed my mind about abortion, with your all's help. I now agree it should not be illegal to have an abortion. We went through that months ago.

Gun control, though. Another issue alltogether.

By Antigone on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:20 pm:

"Abortion has nothing to do with gun control."

Sure it does. Both are related to ending human live.

Everything has "something to do" with everything else. Just be creative and find the link.

By pez on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:23 pm:

i've never heard of a four-year-old pulling the trigger of a physician, killing her one-year-old brother.

By Antigone on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:23 pm:

"LIBERAL FUCKOS!"

Yet again, another clear, concise argument by Trace. Work at it and one day you might even get to the level of David Horowitz...

By pez on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:27 pm:

*BLAM! BLAM!*

any questions?

By Antigone on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:29 pm:

Actually, Nate, acces to physicians is restricted.

But, you tread on dangerous ground making that argument. You have to have a license to practice medicine. Are you suggesting that you should have a license to own a gun? Physician's addresses are publicly available through the AMA directory. Should gun owner's addresses be collected in a public registry as well?

But, that's all moot. Agatha blew the physician argument out of the water anyway.

By Antigone on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:30 pm:

"*BLAM! BLAM!*
    any questions?"

Yeah. You gonna get in the cage, little girl, or are you going to make cutesy comments? :-)

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:30 pm:

Guns:
    lives saved vs. lives taken

Doctors:
    lives saved vs. lives taken

you can't put a number on how many lives guns have saved, but you can damn well put a number on how many lives have been taken.

with doctors, you can put a number on both.

bottom line, a doctor is designed to save lives, guns are designed to take them

I agree with agatha, the doctor argument is retarded and moot.

you guys are all still failing to address the international aspect of this.

what the fuck does the 2nd amendment have to do with the rest of the world?

By pez on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:33 pm:

i have no brain. i'm supposed to be cleaning.

By Antigone on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:34 pm:

Damn... It's too bad I've got to get on the road now.

Everybody have a nice ass ripping! See ya'll Monday.

By Nate on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:43 pm:

the 2nd amendment arguement is bunk.

the 9th amendment is where it's at.

cars: saved lives v. lives taken.

your arguments are moot, patty.

i have no problem with licenseing firearms. i have no problem with testing and licensing people to use firearms.

this is what we do with cars, which kill many MANY more people.

By patrick on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:55 pm:

fire arms are licensed, or at least registered, and many states have requirements for instructional certification for new owners yes?

Im not sure the right to own a gun is fundamental anymore than the right to own a car. So im not buying the 9th Amendment argument either.

By pez on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 06:26 pm:

besides, what about unlicenced weapons? there're plenty of those lying around.

gun shows don't do licencing.

i think cars are a different matter, because people don't like to walk particularly much. they enjoy the freedom and speed of owning a vehicle.

By wisper on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 06:46 pm:

i really think what we need is child licencing.

yes, and fast.
    Surely Trace can agree with that now.

By Trace on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:54 pm:

Absolutely.
    I also agree that there should be mandatory safetly classes and tests before getting a liscencse to own a fire arm (rifle, hand gun, whatever).
    And both, child birthing and fire arm liscense should require an intellegence test as well.....

as for " "LIBERAL FUCKOS!"

Yet again, another clear, concise argument by Trace. Work at it and one day you might even get to the level of David Horowitz..."

I said "o shit, i gotta work on this one before I open my mouth."

Now I am ready:

As your "Token Fuckwit Republican Mouthpeice" I have to say, I am no longer republican. The line between them and the democrats has become to thin, if not non-existant.

I think the NRA goes to far with their anti anti-gun legistlation. There has been legislation introduced that i agreed with (such as closing the gun show loop hole) that the NRA opposed.
    I am all for common sense safetly legislation. I am all for banning any automatic weapon. I think the general fire arm owner does not need any gun with a clip that holds more then 13 rounds. I think a 3 day waiting period is fair. I think charging parents who are negligent enough to leave a loaded pistol where a child can find it and kill their brother or best friend should be held accountable.
    I do not, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, think fire arms should be outlawed. We have a right to protect our selves. My uncle has the right to hunt deer. I have the right to go to a shooting range and fire a glock nine to vent frustration.
    Oh, and uh, duh, guns do save lives. What the fuck was that? How many people on rampages were shot dead before they could kill more? How many times has a rapist been detered because a gun was pointed in their face? How many children were saved from being kidnapped because they were shot?
    No, I cannot point to statistics, but I guarentee you any numbers you find that say how many people guns have killed is false, propaganda. Misleading.
    I do not beleive any numbers put out by special interest groups or activists.
    I wonder though, if I was there when annie was going to hit her son in the head with what ever she used, would I have shot her?
    Maybe. Would I be a criminal?
    Yes. Why? The baby was medically fine after a week.
    Would I have been justified? I think so.

Thus is the cunundrom of guns in the hands of citizens, and the abortion issue. As well as capital punishment?
    Does anyone have the right to decide who lives and who dies? But if we do not take the responsibility, then who is going to protect the victims? I promise you you do not want it all in the hands of authorities. They are human just like you and me. And they have agendas of their own

By dave. on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 01:08 am:

fuck gun control. i want human control. i propose adapting and using a test similar to this to eliminate aggressive and fear agressive humans. after a hundred or so years, the gun issue, as well as things like the military and the current concept of prison, will be moot. (this assumes our policy makers submit their own offspring to the test and abide by its results.)

the problem isn't guns, it's crazy fuckers (like the police, the militia wackos, the gang-bangers, the football players) who have no problem attacking other people that creates an environment where guns are necessary.

guns are a symptom. humans are or, at best, contain the disease (dna). either be proactive about it or wait a few thousand generations for evolution to decide which trait will be more viable. i'll bet money that evolution will favor the gun owners, despite the inherent attrition their tools will cause.

once again, it's hopeless. give up or start killing. do something or be done.

By Nate on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 12:52 pm:

"How many children were saved from being kidnapped because they were shot?"

that's my favorite line.

By spunky on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

I meant the kidnappers

By semillama on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 03:02 pm:

"i have no brain. i'm supposed to be cleaning."

This is a fantastic line.

I think I am, for once, in utter and complete agreement with dave.

I also think that antigone's long argument about guns would work equally as well if you substitued "cars" for "guns."

Maybe we should just go back to using crossbows. There aren't too many kids out there who could pick one up, much less shoot it. But an adult could still use a crossbow for home defense.

By Nate on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 03:10 pm:

i know what you meant, spunky.

but it's what you wrote that is funny.

it should be illegal to be a victim. that would solve all our problems.

By spunky on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 03:28 pm:

I think it is time for some type of genocide.
    Here we are in the 21st century, and look around you. I see career felons, victimizers and society leeches. the human race must advance

By Nate on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 03:53 pm:

if we can slowly remove people's rights in exchange for "security", perhaps we can get them so secure that they won't see the genocide coming. by the time it kicks in, there won't be anyway for them to defend themselves.

By TBone on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 04:06 pm:

Ooh! Who gets to be "inferior" today? Get the
    dart board!

By semillama on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 04:18 pm:

"I see career felons, victimizers and society leeches. the human race must advance"

The above describes the ENTIRE human race. Time to EVOLVE.

By Nate on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 04:47 pm:

fuck evolution. time to end the line.

By semillama on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 04:49 pm:

well, their line anyway.

I think we need more weird species of hominids, actually.

By Nate on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 04:52 pm:

like myself, you're saying. i understand. FUCKO.

By spunky on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 06:41 pm:

I've been saying that word a lot at home and getting in trouble. I even called the dog a fucko when she shit on the floor in front of me.

Sometimes mother nature needs a helping hand.
    Problem is, who the hell get's to decide who goes "removed from the gene pool?" I know I surely could not even consider such an action.
    Maybe some weird disease will run rampat through the prisons.

Oh, and I read that the cloned sheep were starting to show cellular break down. DAMN

By patrick on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 11:55 am:

"I think it is time for some type of genocide"

i think your a sick misguided fuck and realize nate is making a tool out of you.

"Oh, and uh, duh, guns do save lives. What the fuck was that? How many people on rampages were shot dead before they could kill more? How many times has a rapist been detered because a gun was pointed in their face? How many children were saved from being kidnapped because they were shot?"

Trace this is all speculation, and yes...it could be said in certain instances guns saved more lives than it took, but its still speculation.

bottom line trace. guns are designed to kill.

its no more moronic than when the US justifys military action in the name of peace.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 12:05 pm:

"natural actions are what's important. good and evil are the same thing (thanks, heather.)"

This sounds like something a Satanist would say.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 12:16 pm:

c'mon spider. you know who the real satanists are.

when jesus went into the desert and was tempted by satan, what did satan promise him? what does jesus have now?

of course he told the apostles he turned it all down. of course he did.

By heather on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 12:17 pm:

i never met a satanist

and that natural actions part has nothing to do with me, for the record

and thank you patrick. trace calling for genocide was completely twisting my head.

the cloned sheep are showing cellular break down. oh yeah.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 12:31 pm:

No. Listen.

Satanists often talk about how you're "supposed" to follow natural instinct all the time, and that Christianity and all other religious systems that tell you to control or disregard your instincts are totally misguided and wrong. That's why there is no sin, according to them - because what Christianity calls sins are just natural impulses and they should always be obeyed, right?

When I ordered some music from a "Gothic" record label in college, I got a whole bunch of stuff about Satanism because some of the bands on a brother-label were Satanists. This is what their literature talked about. I wish I could give you a cite.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 12:42 pm:

yes. i know.

generally when a cathy talks about satanists they're talking about big evil.

but i should know better than to read you wrong.

so respond to the temptation in the desert. i think that's a huge whole in christianity.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:03 pm:

You are all tools.
    You think I really advocate genocide?
    Jesus. Just trying to make it a little more interesting. The human race does need to start moving on again.

Guns don't kill people. You kill people.
    How can you blame any in-animate object?
    There are not more murders today then there was a thousand years ago, percentage wise. We just get to see it immediately, then over and over and over again on Fox News or CNN.
    You deny them guns they will simply find another weapon.

Yes yes, I know. Think of the children.

I love my girls. I try so hard to protect them, but they always find a way to hurt them selves.
    I could tie pillows around them, and they would still get hurt

You have boys and they want to play army? No gun in the house? Hey, I can use this butcher knife as a Survival Knife. Oh, let's chase eachother around the back yard with this pretend survival knife.

Oh, that's going to end real pretty.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:10 pm:

Nate, I don't understand. Are you saying that Jesus was being hypocritical when he turned down riches and power after the devil offered those to him, because "now look at the riches and power he has!"?

By spunky on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:13 pm:

What temptation was there for Jesus?

By Nate on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:13 pm:

i'm saying jesus never turned down the riches and power.

he has riches and power. christian organizations have been agents of evil for centuries.

who would know what jesus agreed to other than jesus and the devil?

and when he came back from his meeting with lucifer, of course he'll tell his people that he turned the devil down. duh.

and they follow him like, well, sheep...

By spunky on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:14 pm:

Oh, and the link this thread has in it, that paper is not biased in anyway. I love reading articles that are written for facts only, with no point of view. That way I know I can trust the information I get from it

By spunky on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:17 pm:

The idea of the story never made any sense to me.
    Sure, Jesus was mortal for the 33 years he was here, but if he did jump off the cliff and die, oh well. He's going to be ok. And tempting him with riches and power? He was supposed to be the Son of God, right?

That whole story, to me, was like so much fluff added to the bible.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:20 pm:

its a liberal-leaning major metropolitan weekly rag.

any fool know's its slant. its called alternative media...as in, an alternative to the liberal puss washing LA Times or the other major media entitiy in a major city.

It picks up where the Times and The Daily News leave off.

"Guns don't kill people. You kill people.
    How can you blame any in-animate object?"

Well god damn trace, with this logic, we could legalize coke, heroin and all the other drugs that are illegal. Don't blame poor old cocaine, its PEOPLE THAT DO DRUGS

By Hal on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:25 pm:

i'm not going to even bother reading all the shit above. I'm at work and don't have the fucking time.

Anyway guns are tools, built by man to serve a porpose for man. To kill other men.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:27 pm:

PRECISELY!
    Damn it, how often do they create new types of drugs? how many different types are there? These days, drugs have to be identified as controlled substance before they are made illegal. You make one thing illegal, then they create a new one.

Drugs, however, do not server any useful purpose.

Guns can. Teach respect and accountability and responsibility. Every thing boils down to that.

Some drugs, such as marijuana, can have usefull properties as well, as a pain killer or what's the word I am looking for here, hallucegenic properties for the mentally disturbed any way..

Mind controlling?

I hope none of the sarcasm drippped on you when you read that previous post

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:28 pm:

"i'm saying jesus never turned down the riches and power.

he has riches and power. christian organizations have been agents of evil for centuries."

For a moment I thought you were willing to be serious.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:29 pm:

PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE
    PEOPLE TAKE DRUGS

hmm, connection?

By heather on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

SERVE THE PORPOiSE!!!
    kill
    die
    kill

what's the difference anyway. by the way there is no difference.

even if jesus didn't say yes, what about every single fucker after him?

the cut and dry history of catholicism doesn't even hide it's dark sides very well

let go of the people

this has gone too far. i can't explain. fuck.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

drugs serve many useful purposes in many people's lives.

you're just a square.

By heather on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:39 pm:

guns can't teach

they just sit there. nope, they can't even sit. they just are. metal and crap in a shape. you get some other shapes and put them in and hold it and pieces go flying and someone can die.

also with metal and stuff in pointy shapes

or just use your hands. that works.

people suck. people don't suck.
    nothing. today i am an idiot.

By droopy on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 01:44 pm:

hey spider, you ever read "the brothers karamazov"? there's a parable in it called "the grand inquisitor" with a very interesting interpretation of the temptation of christ. if you want, you can go here, go to lunch and let the thing download, then go to book V chapter 5.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 02:21 pm:

Nothing matters.
    Anyone that really wants to do anything can and will do it.
    Laws don't matter
    Opinions don't matter.
    Nothing realy matters, anyone can see......
    Nothing really matters to me....

By spunky on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 02:23 pm:

I admit, I am a bit of a square. I am too chicken shit to try any of the good stuff.
    I tried mary jane a few times, and really inhaled and held it in (just like my balding, ever increasingly dumber ucle yelled at me to) when I was a teen, but it never had any affect on me.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 02:35 pm:

(i'm very serious, spider.)

By spunky on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 02:40 pm:

Nate,
    You think Jesus accepted Lucifer's offer?
    That is interesting. I never concidered that.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 02:45 pm:

Trying it once wouldn't give you a representative sample of ganga.

What do you do if you've got a headache and one remedy doesn't work? "Oh, well. I'll just keep smashing my head against the wall..." No! You find another remedy or take more of what you've got!

Apply the same reasoning to ganga, please.

See, that's the problem with most people's reasoning concerning illegal drugs: they don't apply it.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 02:47 pm:

Ah, "once" or "a few times," what's the difference?

Just a bit 'o' preemptive arguing. :-)

By wisper on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 02:57 pm:

satanists believe in evil, evil is boring other people, being ignorant, hurting small children and bragging about shit you can't do.
    Not that i am one.

Not today, anyway.
    i think legalizing all drugs is the right way to go.
    I feel unqualified to discuss gun control. I’ve never seen a real gun.

"Soon they’ll make bigger boards, with bigger nails, until they create a board with a nail in it big enough to destroy the whole world!!!" – Kang & Kodos

By Spider on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 03:02 pm:

Thanks, droopy - I read parts of the Brothers K. years ago. I read about half of the Grand Inquisitor chapter before I went to lunch (heh, T3 line here). Nate, read that when you can.

I just got an email from my dad saying my grandfather had a stroke this morning and is in the hospital. He turned 91 last Wednesday, but he is (was?) very active and very lucid (he had such a good memory that I always suspected him of making things up - who can remember what someone wore to a party in 1938?). The stomach-clenching part of this is that my cousins Marc and Jimmy were raised by my grandfather after their own father bailed on them when they were babies. They, their mother (my aunt Maggie), and my grandfather still live in the same house. I hope they're okay.

By heather on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 03:47 pm:

guns are surprisingly heavy. even little tiny ones.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 03:53 pm:

i'm the first to admit guns are damn fun to shoot.

my step-dad collected guns. he didnt hunt, but he loved collecting rare and strange guns as well as the usuals.

i knew where is loaded 9mm was almost all the time, and I scare myself thinking of the stupid shit i did, showing it to my friends.

i also owned a .22 rifle.

my step-dad took me to the firing range, he'd grab an assortment of his guns, grab boxes of bullets and we'd head to the firing range. popping of a full clip from a 9mm in under 10 seconds is some exciting shit. totally empowering.

i've also been skeet shooting...again, much fun..but after 2 rounds, using a 12 guage my arm was a piece of goo.

but none of this changes my mind otherwise.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

the first gun I ever owned was a .22 semi-automatic rifle. I was 13 when I started to target practice with it, and it is a lot of fun.
    We have a .22 pistol locked up with a pad lock in a foot locker, in the closet were my wife cannot even reach without a chair. The most dangerous thing about it right now is if the box were to fall on someone's head, it is made of metal.

Of course, I wonder if my wife could reach a counter without a chair....

thank god she does not read this board, she hates it when I joke about her height

By patrick on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:25 pm:

so whats the purpose of the gun in the box trace? ww3?

i mean if you say anything about home protection, lets pre-empt it with the fact that should your home be invaded, you'd be dead before you got the lock off.

now...tell me, why do have the gun?

By Cat on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:31 pm:

Guns are about hurting and killing. That's the only reason you have them.

Australia has a strict gun policy. We legislated against hurting and killing people because that makes sense in a civilised society.

When we banned private gun ownership, the government had a gun-buy-back policy and it cost every taxpayer $100.00 extra. It was the best money I ever spent.

I used to have a gun. I don't now.

By pez on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:37 pm:

i don't want to be shot, though i personally believe that there are too many people here.

not on sorabji, but earth.

By Cat on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:40 pm:

The more civilised a country becomes, the less the birth rate. Australia is at 0% birthrate. I blame it on TV.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:46 pm:

I blame it on the general lack of sex drive in Australians.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:49 pm:

You wanna talk to us about civilization when you national sport is rugby, and what is it ...like 70% of your country is a desert?

By Cat on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:56 pm:

Oh please. Our national sport is not rugby. Our national sport involves beer and vomiting and hoops and dwarves and rubber chickens.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 06:02 pm:

mmm. chunder.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 06:21 pm:

chubb

say it

CHUBB

its fun

(wow that was pez of me)

By Cat on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 07:16 pm:

HUH?

(wow that was Patrick of me)

I better go hide now.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 07:21 pm:

oh shut up you cranky ole bitty batty fucker mugwump !*(#$&^$)(!*)(*)(!*)!(*!)!

heh...how CAT of me

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 07:36 pm:

FUCK YOU YOU FUCK FUCK FUCK!!

(oh, how Nate of me)

By spunky on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 08:19 pm:

well, this thread has already disintegrated.

Patrick, good question. Erin's dad gave it to her last year, and we put it up there, and it has not been down yet.

By Cat on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 08:23 pm:

Obvious statement.

(how Trace of you)

By spunky on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 09:38 pm:

Smart Ass statement
    (how Cat of you)

By Cat on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 09:43 pm:

"Smartass" should be one word.

(now that's VERY Cat..smartass plus grammar nazi)

By Nate on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 10:05 pm:

cunts. the lot of you.

By Cat on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 10:07 pm:

Lemme guess. Dave?

By spunky on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 10:25 pm:

No, that was all Nate

By droopy on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 04:17 am:

i personally think "smartass" should be hyphenated.

smart-ass.

i suppose it really doesn't matter how you spell it, but certain slang terms shouldn't be one word. in my opinion.

for example: i notice that a lot of people write "shithead" or "shithole." i don't, like, care for that because of the "th" thing. the thhhhhhhh sound.

but i'm toasted on rum and bourbon and it don't matter none.

and y'all stop spelling "no one" as "noone." it looks like the old english spelling of midday.

"meet me before ye olde shoppe at noone, wench."

By Nate on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 11:10 am:

i think we're trying to phase hyphens out of the english language.

that and the st crap.

amongst

By semillama on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 11:07 am:

Shit, I gots to move me to Australia.

By jack on Sunday, July 6, 2003 - 07:44 pm:

ah, july, 2001.

By Vilnius viper on Monday, July 7, 2003 - 06:04 pm:

2001? was that the year HAL turned a bit nasty?

By Hal on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 09:49 am:

Yes Dave...

Wait... Did Dave even post to this thread, I'm too lazy to check.

By Hal on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 10:01 am:

On another non joking note: I figure I'll throw my 1.25$ in on this one.

"GOD DAMNED ASS GOBLIN LIBERALS"

Nate, although the Docters vs Guns / Lives saved argument is funny, it does have its holes. However it does put up a point. The point being there are so many other things that we take to be normal every day shit that kills WAY more then fucking guns do. The problem doesn't lie in the guns, it lies in the fucking people. Seriously, take for example those kids in Jersy who were picked up like 2 days ago with all those guns and shit. Buncha rich ass kids who were gonna go on a shooting spree. I know within a few weeks we'll all find out they played counter strike and they'll blame the whole mess on the fact that these kids could get guns and played video games.

Give me a fucking break, I own guns, I play violent video games, and I haven't shot anyone as far as the athorities are concerned. It all comes down to parents man, I completly agree, children should be licenced man. Well wait, make that people should be licenced to have them. Some people just SHOULD NOT fuckin breed, and I belive that to the degree that I think quite a few people should be removed from the gene pool quarterly, one way or another.

As for guns, gun laws don't prevent criminals from having guns, if they want one their gonna get one. They do however prevent law abiding citizens from getting them easily or in some cases at all. Which just leaves the gun toting criminals people that are all the easier to fuck in the ass and shoot.

By Vilnius viper on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 04:43 pm:

hal,dave did not check in to this post,the last i saw,he was spinning off into space,i can under stand this,you had conflicting orders.

By Rowlf on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 11:50 pm:

By Antigone on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 04:02 pm:

"It all comes down to parents man, I completly agree, children should be licenced man."

Use your own logic:

As for children, parenting laws don't prevent criminals from having kids, if they want one their gonna get one. They do however prevent law abiding citizens from getting them easily or in some cases at all.

"The problem doesn't lie in the guns, it lies in the fucking people."

So we should give those fucking people access to deadly weapons? Your arguments don't hold water. try again.

By spunky on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 10:28 pm:

Sorry buddy, but unlike the right to reproduce, the right to own fire arms is EXPRESSLEY protected under the constitution.

I could not honestly say that I uphold the spirit of the constitution (all men are created equal) by stating that some should be legally denied reproductive rights.

You cannot have it both ways.
    My integrity demands that I support reproductive rights of all persons, regardless of my personal opinion.

By Hal on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 04:22 pm:

ok first off....

WAS DRUNK...

2nd: Do you people not have a sense of humor any more?

By Hal on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 04:24 pm:

Example:

"Which just leaves the gun toting criminals people that are all the easier to fuck in the ass and shoot."

FUCK IN THE ASS AND SHOOT...... seriously people, get with the god damn program.

By Antigone on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 04:34 pm:

Gee, fuckin' sorry I couldn't smell your breath through the screen.

Milquetoast pussywad.

By Vilnius viper on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 10:24 pm:

hal,well i found your train of thought interesting,yet a tad confusing,does one have sex with the gun toting criminals then shoot them,or shoot them and then have sex with them?if this catches on,we can look foward to a smaller and less expensive police force.

By Ron on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 12:35 am:

correct viper, being a good number of gun toting criminals are on the police force.

By Frank on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:59 pm:

who cares, everyone should have agun, people die and shit happens, fuck yourselves if you dont like it.

By jack on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:07 pm:

hey! thanks for the insights and keep up the good work, frank.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact