Cluster bombs on Kabul

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Cluster bombs on Kabul
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Eri on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 07:19 pm:

Trace just got home. On the radio they said that cluster bombs have been dropped on the entire town of Kabul. They said that all you can see is fire.

The first mental image that comes to my mind is during the crusades, when they used to burn thatched roof houses in a whole town. This is freaking me out.

All of those people dead. This is worse than WTC. I didn't know. It looks like the whole town is gone.

Somebody please, tell my I am wrong. Tell me that it isn't as bad as it sounds.

By Nate on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 07:23 pm:

jesus christ. i hope you're wrong.

during WWII we firebombed tokyo and dresden, killing over 200,000 civilians each.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 07:25 pm:

To make it even worse dear....those cluster bombs are comprised of depleated Uranium bomblets which can taint soil and the water table in addition to making people extremely sick.

Unless they have changed them, which I doubt they have.

The US was cited for this in Kosovo and Iraq. Nothing new here.

See? This is the reality of everyone who wanted military action. And its only day 4 of a "long and protracted war".

Ever heard a song by REM called "its the end of the world as we know it and i feel fine" ?

By Eri on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 07:30 pm:

I know the song well. You are too right on this one. Boy, for some strange reason I feel like jumping to the other side of the fence right now. And the sad thing is, this is just the beginning.

I can't stand Feinstein anymore, either. Actually, to be honest, I never really liked her too much. What is she doing now?

I think I am about to become a Libertarian all over again!!!! I voted republican because I thought that the Libs would never gain enough power to make any change. I don't like the change I see now.

By Eri on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 07:42 pm:

Patrick,

Am I to understand that with these bombs, if anyone survives this in the city of Kabul, then they could become sick and die from the other shit the bomb leaves (soil and water)? Is that what you meant about what is in those bombs?

By patrick on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 07:55 pm:

yes. or the ones that detonate

often whats happens, is the little "bomblets" don't detonate, so they become a danger say, like, land mines.

Here is a UN Press release from Yugoslavia at the time we were using them in Kosovo and Yugoslavia.

press release

By patrick on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 07:56 pm:

go down about two or three paragraphs to get to the juicy stuff.

By trace on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 08:05 pm:

"In the capital city, Taliban anti-aircraft batteries near the city center opened up with thunderous barrages as high-flying warplanes roared overhead after nightfall.

American warplanes dropped cluster bombs which disperse hundreds of bomblets over a broad area as well as 5,000 pound bunker-busting bombs in an attempt to dig the leaders of the Taliban out of their hiding places. Strikes have killed some members of the Taliban, but their leader, Mullah Muhammed Omar, and Osama bin Laden are believed to still be alive.

At least 76 people have been killed and over 100 injured across the country in the raids so far, according to the Afghan Islamic Press agency and officials.

CBS News Correspondent Jim Axelrod reports from northern Afghanistan that Wednesday's barrage came much earlier than the previous three nights and describes the view over Kabul as an enormous fire. Even from as far as 20 miles away from the city, the glow was lighting up the sky. "

OH MY GOD.

This is a second source, so confirmation for me of the previous report I heard.

I knew nothing about the cluster bombs before.

THESE ARE INDISCRIMINATE KILLERS!

I am sickened to my stomach

By dave. on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 09:10 pm:

if this is true: bad, bad move mr. bush. you deserve, at the very least, the most brutal wedgie the world has ever seen. the wtc was just a bloody nose. expect a broken jaw next time folks.

By trace on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 09:13 pm:

It is true.

By dave. on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 09:33 pm:

i fight the urge to say nyaaah nyaaah i told you so.

i guess i lost that fight.

this is what the anti-war folks oppose.

it's not about justice, is this the "light of justice" bush was referring to? i feel like a good american right now, but more important, i feel like a good human.

thanks, george.

By Eri on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 10:42 pm:

Nostradamus predicted the 3rd world war involving terrorism in the "east" referring to the middle east, islam nations. He was off 1 1/2 years in his prediction, but it is here nonetheless. He also predicted that this war would bring about the 3rd anti-christ (1st Napoleon, 2nd Hitler). I have decided to look past the obvious of his predictions and decide to dig a little further. I pose this question. Who is the anti-christ this time? Bin Laden, Bush, or someone we don't even know of yet?

"In the year of 1999, and seven months from the sky will come the great King of Terror. He will bring to life the great King of the Mongols. Before and after, war reigns happily."

Another question is is this "King of Terror" an actual person or something we find within ourselves? Just brainstorming.

Dave, like you even needed to say it. Just call me a confused jumble of fence jumping right now. My faith in our President has been well, destroyed. As far as I am concerned, this bombing on Kabul and other towns is the same as genocide and right now I feel like I elected Hitler. This could change with time and healing, but my questions won't end.

By dave. on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 10:59 pm:

clinton, gore, mccain. . .they'd all have done the same thing. bush doesn't make the decisions except to empower the military. militarily, restraint is inefficient and invites the enemy to give you a kick in the nuts. the problem is, this enemy doesn't fight fair. they force you to bow to their demands or become like them.

personally, were i in charge, i'd have withdrawn support from israel, quit supporting our puppets in egypt and saudi arabia and offered to help in a solely humanitarian way with stipulations, chiefly, impose birth control. that area can't support 25 million people. 10 million is stretching it. control the population growth or humanitarian support is withdrawn. not likely that they would. fuck. even pat buchanan makes sense sometimes.

nostradamus, like the tarot and astrology, is a psychological and sociological curiosity. nothing more.

By dave. on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 11:29 pm:

never underestimate the power of self-fulfilling prophecy. freemasonry, the illuminati, even scientology -- our government is allegedly infested with members of these groups. secret organizations that manipulate and control. just when i doubt they have any power, i stop, look around, and observe people saying things like you were saying yesterday and i think it's not so far-fetched.

look, i don't buy it but if the folks in power buy it, and can get the sheep to accept it, all bets are off. crazy talk but it makes you question motives and that's a good place to be. always question authority. educate yourself. know your enemy. put yourself in their shoes. why do they do what they do? imagine if hitler conquered america and a group of "real" americans managed to fly some planes into the heart of the nazi empire and really hurt them. would that not make americans jump with joy? would they not be considered heroes? i'm so sick of all this.

By dave. on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 11:33 pm:

did i just come off sounding like a maniac? shit, i need another beer.

By J on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 01:22 am:

I'm just flat out scared.

By semillama on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 09:22 am:

War is hell.

now we all know what that means.

By patrick on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 11:51 am:

actually if they are saying the SKIES are being lit up like a christmas tree....i would wonder if they arent using fuel bombs. Fuel bombs are just as horrific as cluster bombs. thats how they work, they actually detonate before hitting the ground. i.e. fire bombs.

Trace, I can't believe, you never heard anything about cluster bobms during the Kosovo affair. It was all over the news. the UN and humanitarian aid groups reprimanded the US for their use

I sometimes make the assumption people are as informed about these things as I am.

just yesterday trace you called me ignorant when i used the word "indiscriminate". Though i didnt have knowledge of specific cluster bomb use in this war, i had knowledge of our use of it in previous wars. Its assumed, the outcome of this war will be like the previous (learn from history people) dumb bombs and smart bombs can be just as indiscriminate.

i guess i lost the "niener neiner told you so" fight too.

By trace on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:14 pm:

"Trace, I can't believe, you never heard anything about cluster bobms during the Kosovo affair."
    I meant that I did not know that we were planning on using the cluster bombs........

By semillama on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:47 pm:

I thought the whole mess in Kosovo wasn't bombs but depleted uranium armor piercing rounds.

And, I don't think we should jumpto conclusions about what the military is doing when there is no video footage. And I mean jumping in either direction.

By Nate on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:58 pm:

cluster bombs caused a mess. but the depleted uranium is in armor piercing rounds, not the cluster bombs.

By Hal on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 05:38 pm:

Nate is correct.

You know we aren't allowed to shoot people with .50cal's any more, geneva convention says so. But it also says we are allowed to shoot Inventory, and Gear. Gear like helmets, vests, boots, guns, things like that.

By Cat on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 07:35 pm:

When you heard about the cluster bombing, did your mind immediately trip to Sorabji Nation and our constant use of "clusterfuck"? I know mine did.

By Eri on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 07:45 pm:

The whole Nostradamus thing was meant for entertainment purposes. It is interesting to look into correlations to what he said, or interpretations related to our current situation. I don't acutally put any stock in it. If I did, then I would be sure this war will last 27 years. I don't want to believe it.
    Unfirtunately I wasn't able to follow what was going on in Kosovo. When you have a 1 lb. baby with developmental delays, there isn't time for television. Fortunately, that is over now. I can catch up.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact