War on Terrorism?

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: War on Terrorism?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 03:21 pm:

We havent spoke of this in sometime. Where do you stand now, after nearly 21/2 months of bombs?

I really don't know where I stand anymore.

More times than not I'm glad it appears they are about to nab the motherfucker.

But the repercussions...are what Im hesitant about.

Im confident that "collateral damage" has not been what it was originally thought to be.

Though I was steadfastly against the campaign when it began, Im more complacent about it now.

Its clear we aren't going to modify out foreign policies to alleviate some of the Muslim angst against us.

Ultimately, it seems our intervention in Afghanistan will have a positive effect on the mass population in the long run.

It seems there is a better life ahead for them.

What Im most concerned about now, is what will happen once its published that he's dead or captured. Im a little leary of some other mass terrorist outbreak here, in many cities, at the same time.

For conspiring minds...Nostradamus did indeed predict a fantatic in the mid west would bring the downfall of the great western powers in the millenium. Ramadan ends this weekend. We have about 19 days left in this true millenium year.
    Gnosh on that, or not.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 04:45 pm:

Bin Laden better be dead. Otherwise he will be the cause of more trouble than if dead.

How many highjackings/bombings will be instigated to get him out of jail? If dead they could retalliate. But, it would be less.

I can't waite for the "Save the childrens campaign" to begin.

Sorry, I hope the Afgan people solve their problems, but I have my own problems to care about.

I prefer some liberal minded business person begin some import export relationship with the Afgans. Then to see Sally Strothers tell me how great I'll feel if I send them my hard earned money. Let investment do the work not charity. They will feel better. And, we won't be hated for it.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 05:34 pm:

he's one man yo.

expect the various anti-american organizations' resolve to intensify with his death.

dead, captured or alive or in hiding we still have trouble ahead.

he's taken on the world's greatest super power. brought it to one knee economically. evaded it militarily for months.

you can always expect self-righteous do-gooder christians to start with the save the children crap.

Look at those two annoying gals that were held captive for months. They were there spreading the word of Jesus. This retarded and vain need to sell their spirituality commands it. Im SOOO glad the media turned their spotlight off of them. "I just kept prayin to Jesus we'd get out." "If it wasn't for Jesus we may have never lived to talk now." so on and so on and so on SHADDYUP ALREADY!!!!!

Jesus had nothing to do with anyone winning the Superbowl anymore than he did with them getting out alive of Afghanistan.

By wisper on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 05:48 pm:

i feel nothing but an impending doom, regarding what will happen if many people's dream comes true and some shiney blonde GI Joe wins the big cave lottery and catches O.B.L.
    (i'm calling him O.B.L. now, because the name has become as stale to hear as CocaCola)

The impending doom comes from wondering how much more of a beating my believe in basic human compassion can take.
    Fair trial? Justice? Proof? Will he even make it out of that cave alive? Will the selfish need for revenge overcome the good people of earth and they'll do what i heard one pastor on tv sugest: "chain him to the back of a truck and drag him throught the streets of new york until he bleeds to death"?
    I'm scared.
    He's just a guy.

and i still don't think it was him. It's just a little too convient. And really, it wasn't him at all anyway. the ones who did it are dead.

i'm mostly just disgusted that it took thousands of innocent U.S. deaths for people to finally realize that hey, those Taliban guys are pretty bad news, i think someone should maybe go in and stop 'em. They've been pulling sick shit since 1996, but people only want to "save the Afghan people" when it interests them, or when they're affected. Good job guys. Wayta' care.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 05:56 pm:

Probably. If it had been Jesus I suspect a great mirical would have occured. Like they would have dematerialized in Afganistan and rematerialized at the Vatican.

Being a Christian I too thank God and Jesus for my blessings. But, I really doubt they actually intervene in any aspect of my life.

Guardian Angles on the other hand must intervene. Otherwise, I'd be in a heck of a lot worse trouble than I am now.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 06:24 pm:

here wisper, i know how you feel, so does this guy.

another one

and another one

(btw, that guy has like 6 pages of comic strips now...they are just as good as the first.)

you've got nothing to be scared of wisper. You're in Canada. You're just stepping stone. Its us they want.

And you know....I kinda resent that shit about "wayta care"

The U.S. was the largest humanitarian aide donor to Afghanistan last year via the UN. And in general we are the worlds largest humanitarian aide donor period. We are also the worlds largest military weapons supplier, but that aside. So you know, fuck that shit. All kinds of governments are bad, not just the Taliban. Sometimes you want us to police the world, and other times you don't. Which is it?? Otherwise shaddyup and be glad your nice and snug next to us.

Someone once told me, when I was complaining that the superstars Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg for the 2001 Stanley Cup-Winning Colorado Avalanche were a bunch of whiny, little bitches on skates who took a dive at anything.

You know what my friend said? "Shut up, they are two of the best players in the league (this is true and indisputable) they can talk shit."

When your the worlds largest economic entity, military machine, humanitarian aide donor....you can talk some shit. Which is what Im doing.

By dave. on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 06:49 pm:

i'm just sick of hearing about sept. 11. 9/11 has become little more than a marketing ploy for everyone except, for the most part, those immediately related to the dead or those who directly witnessed the shit.

i don't think it's had as much effect on us as they're so desperately trying to tell us it has. 'swhy they keep trying to alert us to new threats. i swear they are just aching for these new threats to manifest before everyone's attention gets drawn away from this to other stuff.

the media is making barrels of money on 9/11.

fuck 9/11.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 07:19 pm:

im with you. you hear 9/11 referenced in almost every god damn news story.

also the various mantra's used by the various media groups.

"America Fights Back"
    "America At War"
    "America on Alert"

and so on.

shut up already

By dave. on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 07:35 pm:

so why are people so gullible? i feel like i'm from another planet. boy in the plastic bubble. every flag i see alienates me even further. i have to wonder if it's all a big joke.

sort of related but not really, i was in target the other week and i started seeing all the grinning, cute, young boy and girl models featured on the signs and banners as not being happy about looking good but, rather, laughing at the shoppers for deluding themselves that they can look good if they wear that shit. no small coincidence the place is called target.

By eri on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 10:20 pm:

I have decided that 9/11 has another meaning for me. A reason to celebrate. No not at what happened this year, but the previous one. One of my best friends from high school got married on 9/11/00. His wife is wonderful. They make a good pair.

By dave. on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 10:19 am:

By dave. on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 10:21 am:

oops. the second one was supposed to be the jewish bomb plot dealy. go find the story yourselves.

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 12:16 pm:

gulliable?

well yes, apparently.

a local dj, on the collage radio station, who is actually very damn keen, not to mention has a killer radio show put it well one afternoon.

basically he said "anyone since 9/11 who has bought replicas of the american flag, putting them on SUVs, windows, bumpers etc is nothing but a xenophobe." He went on to say that its one thing to have been a flag flying patriot before, but flying a flag now, stemming from fear of 9/11, obtaining the cutest replica of the flag be it in kooky sweaters sold at Casual Corner or clip on flags for your Selfish yUppie Vehicle are all utterly ridiculous. Except for those of Arabic desent who risk getting their ass kicked by said xenophobic americans.

of course he said it a bit more effectively.

Im looking forward to going home and scrapping with my family about this. They generally have an amateur's take on these things, not truly understanding whats happening here and abroad.

Right after it happened I had some exchange of emails with a few family members...in particular my god-fearing aunt and uncle, whom Im staying with. (an aside, he had put any books by the Dali Llama on his xmas list, it seems men in their late 40s always start getting real damn spiritual, so i got him a book on the Llama's View on christianity)

By J on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 12:33 pm:

I saw the film on the news today where Bin-laden was gloating about the towers and talking about the planning of its destruction,the miserable creep.

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 12:40 pm:

for a minute there i was wondering if they had coached Dick Cheney all this while in the "secret bunker" to put on an Oscar-award winning performance as Osama bin Laden.

Doesnt it look like part of his beard is coming off?

By Cat on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:05 pm:

Xenophobic because you wave an American flag? phhhht! That kid should stick to playing tunes and drink a big bottle of Shutthefuckup.

Is it Xenophobic to put up Christmas decorations even though my cultures don't celebrate it, especially those who would be offended by an American flag?

I have to admit, being the pussy-livered liberal I am, flag-waving of any variety made me nervous. First they wave flags, then they burn books and next thing you know we're all shouting "Heil Whoever".

But I started re-thinking that last week when my buddy told me how he'd driven around his old home town and saw flags everywhere. They made him feel better, maybe safer or maybe just not so alone. And if that's all those flags accomplished - making one New Yorker feel better - then that's OK with me.

And the more I thought about it, the more this seems to be a different variety of flagarama. Maybe waving a flag is the only thing some of us can do when all we see in our dreams is buildings falling away to nothingness, taking every bit of security and faith in our way of life with them.

I know after 9/11 I pulled out my little American flag and put it on my desk at home. I remember hearing our Prime Minister say "we're all Americans today" and it was about the best thing he'd ever said or probably will ever say.

Before 9/11 it was kinda fashionable to be anti-patriotic, especially if you lean towards the Democrats side of the wagon. But now it seems to me that there's something better to worry about than railing against people of slightly different political persuasions. In fact, it might be time to circle the wagons and stop being ashamed of feelings of patriotism.

By Cat on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:11 pm:

Oh and Wisper, I hope they do kill Osama bin Laden. I don't want him tortured, I just hope they do it cleanly and precisely and check a few times to make sure he's really dead.

If you think that you can put him on trial, then you're truly naive. If he's merely arrested, thousands of people will die as terrorists crash planes or blow shit up to blackmail authorities into freeing him.

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

xenophobic because it takes such a catastrophe to make you a flag waving patriot. exactly as you say, a sign of comfort, security. Based on perceived fears. Threats no more greater now than pre 9/11. As a locl columnist once put it, in the south, where he is from, and I as well, when you start seeing flags waved en masse, usually people with brown skin start getting hurt.

"But now it seems to me that there's something better to worry about than railing against people of slightly different political persuasions."

this sentiment is allowing those with unscrupulous agendas to proceed under the radar. Take the shots at our civil liberties, the measures Bush is taking to protect himself and documents of the Executive branch. The Constitution is under a serious threat.

people are taking advantage of the situation.

There's no shame in the patriotism i feel. I love this land, i love many of values we have protected, what can i say..i LOVE our pluralist governments, i do think its one of the best there is.

Id have a lot more respect for people in this regard if those flags were flying before 9/11.
    Take my grandparents for example. Biggest patriots if I've ever known one. They put the flag out (a proper, standard sized flag on a pole) on holidays like Memorial day, Flag Day, Labor Day, 4th of July. They have for decades, like clockwork. They take it in at night and store it properly. Do you see the difference?

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:23 pm:

if they catch him alive, which they wont, they'll use one of those nifty military tribunals in which they will play this video tape ask how he pleads. The "jury" will "convene" for about 3 seconds. Trial will last a total of about 5 minutes.

By Cat on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:54 pm:

No I don't see the difference, Patrick. And I don't see why to fly a flag when your country has been attacked makes you xenophobic.

I don't think people are waving flags and wearing them and putting them up on their homes because of fear. I'm not about to judge their motives so readily like this commentator does, but it seems to me to be more about a feeling of unity.

If you're saying nothing has changed since 9/11, then you're a bloody idiot. And the people of Afghanistan might have something to say about that. There's been a war, you know, in fact there still is.

By agatha on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 05:04 pm:

i don't know. i've heard some of the hateful, ignorant things that a lot of the flag wavers have been saying around these parts, and it makes me feel as though part of patrick's point might be true. i've also heard my neighbors say that they couldn't find a flag anywhere, so they had to paint their mailbox. in that case, it was simply a matter of "everybody else is doing it, and if we don't do it we will seem unpatriotic." fuck that shit. put a flag up if you want, but don't do it because you feel you must, and don't use it as a vehicle for hatred.

we've got a flag in our window. it's got jewish stars, and the blue box part is on the wrong side. cleo and our neighbor drew it, and i think it's hilarious.

By eri on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 05:26 pm:

I am sure that most of you know that my husband and I had our flags out and on our vehicles long before 9/11. We do tend to be a little patriotic. As far as book burning goes, we are against it. I am against losing any civil liberties, though I often find myself resigned to the fact that it happens. I don't like it one bit. I don't think that people who don't wave flags are unpatriotic or that they have to conform to the masses. I am not for conformity either. I don't get upset at those who don't follow the "rules" for keeping their flags up. I am just glad that they try. Who can keep track of them all anyways?

One thing I noticed when everyone went on the flag craze out here was that you no longer saw the boundary lines between democrat or republican. It was nice to see everyone trying to just be unified in some belief (I am guessing they thought that 9/11 was a tragedy and wrong).

I say do your own thing. If it makes you happy or makes the statement as to what you believe then great. Don't do it to be something you are not or say something hypocritical. Just be you.

That video was rather grainy. They only showed bits and pieces out here (what I am assuming they think is the worst on the video). I find myself being somewhat skeptical about it and what it says. I mean, the guys he was talking to just seemed plain dumb. Are they really that stupid, yet intelligent enough to pull of the 9/11 suicide missions? I don't know. I also don't know whether or not it was true or as Patrick stated, is that beard falling off? My life would be a lot easier if I just believed everything on T.V. but some of it seems too convenient. Yeah let's put out this video and drum up more support for the war!!!! Besides, half of what the genius newscasters said had no relevance to what was said on the video. Then again the midwest is filled with geniuses......HAH!

By Antigone on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 05:45 pm:

"I don't get upset at those who don't follow the "rules" for keeping their flags up. I am just glad that they try. Who can keep track of them all anyways?"

Gee...a national identity database, complete with identification cards imprinted with the user's DNA, face recognition profile, and psychological profile, would probably do the trick.

By The Watcher on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 05:49 pm:

I want a "Don't Tread on Me" flag.

By droopy on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 06:01 pm:

there's a stretch of road i drive down every so often where every house has a flag up. all the houses are practically the same and each flag is displayed from a stand mounted next to the front door. all are stars and stripes except one, so as you're driving down the road it's

flag, flag, flag, flag, flag, flag, flag, flag, dove of peace, flag, flag, flag....

it's funny.

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 06:42 pm:

oh please cat. you're being ridiculous.

i said the THREAT hasn't changed. We have always been threatened, we are just paying attention now.

the THREAT has been there for some time.

There is NOT a war going on. Its no more a war than the war on drugs or war on poverty or what have you. There is NOT a war legally declared to our Constitution and that my Australian princess, is my benchmark. I am gowing more and more uncomfortable with the methods of our Executive Branch, especially when it comes to military deployment. There was no reason why Bush could not have AT LEAST, symbolically gone to Congress and requested a declaration. All these war time measures being enacted under the guise of "wartime" is utter bullshit.

And the only difference in Afghanistan is the source and cost of weaponry being laid upon them. If anything, its more peaceful in Afghanistan than it has been in a very long time and for that I'm glad.

Let me liken it to this cat....here in LA we saw the same amount of passion and participation when the LA Lakers won the championship. Every other god damn car had a Laker SUV flag flapping in the wind down Sunset Blvd. Instant Laker fans were spawned overnight when it seemed they would be the winners. Sheep. Thats now gone and been replaced with American flags. Why does it take such an event to prompt one to fly a flag? Unity? HA!!!! I ve never heard such a load in my life. We are no more unified than ever. Murders are up, unemployment is up, and in case you haven't noticed democrats and republicans couldnt be at each others throats more.

Wanna see partisianship Eri? Look at the ongoing debate over the economic stimulus package. Take a look at who is advocating what. The two knucklefuck parties are up to the same ole same ole. Don't let the media swindle you. We arent any more unified, please people, get a clue. And flags on our cars or in our homes doesn't unify us anymore than that potential fact the we bought them from the same starving illegal alien out the back of his van at the freeway exit.

So no Cat, i don't buy the unity bit. And yes people are seeking to "unify" themselves and show their patriotism out of fear. Out of fear of the brown men with nail bombs, small pox and box cutters.

By Cat on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 06:50 pm:

I wish there was some way to reclaim the flag (ours and yours) from the conservative bully boys.

It didn't always stand for beating people up, you know.

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 07:02 pm:

and Eri i was kinda joking about the integrity of that tape. I have no reason to think its not aunthentic. I don't think these guys are as "dumb" as you might think. Realize that much of the eloquence of language is probably lost in translation. I dunno about the stooge with him, but bin Laden is clearly a fairly intelligent man.

By Cat on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 07:22 pm:

I didn't read Patrick's response before my above post.

Go to Afghanistan and tell them there's no war. I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear that.

The only reason why you think there's no war is because the Afghans don't have the power to lob a few bombs back at you. They have to resort to using commercial planes and whatever else they can get their hands on.

"If anything, its more peaceful in Afghanistan than it has been in a very long time and for that I'm glad."

heh. That's so dumb it's funny. My definition of peace doesn't include having non-stop carpet bombing for months.

"So no Cat, i don't buy the unity bit. And yes people are seeking to "unify" themselves and show their patriotism out of fear. Out of fear of the brown men with nail bombs, small pox and box cutters. "

I got teary when I saw the pic of the firefighters putting up the flag at the WTC. And I'm not even American. I don't think they were putting a flag up out of fear.

Seems like you're looking down your nose at those people who choose to express their patriotism through a flag. And that makes you just as bad as those who judge people for not having a flag.

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 07:52 pm:

hey cat, the only place we are bombing currently is Tora Bora. They stopped bombing Kandahar last week, Kabul two weeks before that. All of Afghanistan has not been carpet bombed for months, Germany was carpet bombed, BIG difference. Don't be so sensational. For someone who works in the media you should be ashamed (or promoted?)

In defense of our military actions, civilian deaths have not been what the Taliban said they were. In fact now that we have US troops in the major cities, they are saying Americans bombs were actually more precise than initially perceived. They have had a chance to inspect targets. Afghanistan has no intent on bombing us back. Are you telling me that the Taliban would have fallen without US intervention? Thats ridiculous. And I didnt say Afghanistan was peaceful, only that it was MORE peaceful than it has been in years. You can't deny that. The haze is slowly lifting. People aren't living in fear like they were 6 months ago.

Denying we are in a war is not a denial of what we are doing over there. But our enemy is not clearly identified. Our enemy does not have a clear defined state. Our enemy is not tangible. The term "war" is not appropriate here, yet it will be used to allow certain actions, just or not, to take place. Just like the war on drugs...it was an umbrella term used to justify many illegal actions against sovereign states.

Yes the sight of those firefighters was tremendously emotional, for me as well. But Im not talking about the firefighters who were charged with sifting through the destruction or the military assigned to carry this thing out.

Im talking about the everyday people of the country who ordinarily couldnt even recite the pledge of allegiance or name their Congressman, or 3 justices of the Supreme Court...NOW they are all patriots. How many assholes with flags on their cars voted this past year? Give me a break.

Im just doubting their "patriotism". I could careless that they fly a flag, just don't think paying $19.99 for a clamp on flag for your Range Rover makes you a patriot, thats all Im saying cat.

By Cat on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 08:35 pm:

"Don't be so sensational. For someone who works in the media you should be ashamed (or promoted?)"

It's really hard to argue with your level of stupidity.

Are you honestly saying because they're "only" bombing in the east of the country that Afghanistan is really quite a nice peaceful country?

Ah I give up on you. Especially since you've gone and given me the fucking line about my job. *yawn yawn*

By dave. on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 08:43 pm:

you actually work down there?

By Cat on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 08:53 pm:

I really work for an insurance company and in my spare time, I make American flags.

By eri on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 10:36 pm:

From what I hear, I am not the only one who questions the authenticity of the tape, or the convenience of the time in which it was shown. I would like to think it is authentic.

Patrick, I will take to heart the thought that eloquence of the language is lost in the translation, but I still think that those around Bin Laden in the video were dumb. Not Bin Laden himself, but those around him. Of course, it could be because of what limited amounts of this video we were shown here.

As far as there not being a war, whatever. Someone is running for cover, blanket bombs or not. THe amount of bombing doesn't make it war and doesn't discount it as war. I believe that the WTC was an act of war and no bombs were involved there.

By droopy on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 12:03 am:

i have not viewed afghanistan's funniest home video, and i don't plan to.

By Nate on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 05:14 am:

they do remarkable things with computers, these days.

they compared the bombing in tora bora to dresden. THEY. THEY did.

hey! look at the other hand! it's slipping the dove into the pocket while you think it's still under the hanky. sharon is putting the nazi back in ashkenazi!

we removed a government from power because we did not agree with them. how scary is that? somehow our war against usama bin laden and his band of merry muslims turned into a war against a sovereign (though mildly recognized) nation!

the USA is the largest financial supporter of the IRA in the world!! the IRA continues to kill people!

let's carpet bomb chicago!

baa! baa!

By patrick on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 12:55 pm:

"Are you honestly saying because they're "only" bombing in the east of the country that Afghanistan is really quite a nice peaceful country"

No cat, not at all. I'll try and explain this to you as best i can...Afghanistan (get ready, here is the crux) is is is MORE peaceful than it has been. MORE MORE MORE.

Cat from someone who works in journalism your spouting a shitload of rhetoric that I would expect to hear from some retarded middle america joe schmo who couldn't tell you the 3 branches of our gov't.

Bottom line cat, we aren't in a war, in historical terms as far as i am concerned because there is not a clear defined enemy, "terrorism" can be a vague concept and im leary of the advantages our gov't will take under the guise of "war on terrorism"

studpidity *mumbles* shit....you should be so lucky to be blessed by my insight.

just spare me the sappy patriotism and sensationalist war reporting please.

I have not heard that quote in regards to Dresden nate. digging around I found this from a seemingly credible website.

Bombs dropped on Germany 1939-1945.

Berlin 67,703 tons
    Hamburg 39,687 tons
    Munich 27,110 tons
    Cologne 44,923 tons
    Leipzig 11,616 tons
    Essen 37,938 tons
    Dresden 7,100 tons
    236,077 tons total

According to "American bomb tonnages, Eight Air Force Target Summary, Period 17 August 1942 thru 8 May 1945, and Fifteenth Air Force Daily Bombing Operations by Target; for Britian tonnages, War Room Manual of Bomber Command Operations 1939-1945."

The report went on to say this about Dresden:

"The immediate and actual consequences of the Dresden bombings were destruction or severe damage to at least 23 per cent of the city’s industrial buildings; severe damage to at least 56 per cent of the city’s non-industrial buildings (exclusive of dwellings); destruction or severe damage to at least 50 percent of the residential units in the city’s non-industrial buildings (exclusive of dwellings); destruction or severe damage to at least 50 percent of the residential units in the city, and at least some damage to 80 per cent of the city’s dwellings; the total disruption of the city as a major communications center, in consequence of destruction and damage inflicted on its railway facilities; and death to probably 25,000 persons and serious injury to probably 30,000 others"

Don't think the damage in Afghanistan is anywhere near this.

I think I read the other day that thus far, the US has dropped about 120,000 bombs on Afghanistan. Lets say the average weight of these bombs is 1500 lbs and thats liberal. Yes they've dropped many 1 ton bombs and a handful of those horrific daisy cutters, but they've dropped many many more 500lb and 1000lb bombs.

So that would make it 180,000,000 lbs of bombs dropped, making the tonnage around 90,000 tons of bombs. Thats not even half of what they supposedly dropped on Germany, but fucking impressive for 3 months time. Of course its a guesstimate.

"we removed a government from power because we did not agree with them. how scary is that?"

didnt we do this in WW2? Yeah its kinda of unsettling but are you saying you miss the Taliban? It brings the age old question of when, do we, as the world's economic, military super power police the world? Should we have interefered in Rwanda? Do you think a legitimate soveriegn government would have been removed had we gotten involved there?

This whole matter of the video is really a waste of time, and frankly it doesnt mean a damn thing.

its just odd, that A)he would be so stupid as to video tape such a conversation and B)it would just be left lying around in a residence in Jalalabad.

those two point make it seem REALLY odd.

So whether its credible or not, who cares, it doesnt really mean much anyway.

By Cat on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 03:55 pm:

I guess it's just lucky you're pretty, Patrick.

By patrick on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 05:11 pm:

me pretty?

HA!

Ive never been so offended in all my life.

what next, the blonde jokes?

By The Watcher on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 05:16 pm:

Why not?

I'm in a really wierd frame of mind.

By eri on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 08:10 pm:

I have to come to Cats defense here. Just because she works in a field, doesn't mean that she is always working. I have family that works in media (for AP) and outside of the office you would never know that is where they worked.

Could it be that instead of "sappy patriotism and sensationalist war reporting" she could be expressing her thoughts and feelings just like you are?

Not agreeing with you, Patrick, does not necessarily mean stupidity.

Frankly I would be flattered if I were called pretty. Would you like some blonde jokes?

By droopy on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 08:36 pm:

i have a photographer joke.

The Smiths had tried for years to have a child, and not having had any luck, they decided to use a proxy father to start their family.

On the day the proxy father was to arrive, Mr. Smith kissed his wife and said, "I'm off. The man should be here soon".

Half an hour later, just by chance, a door-to-door baby photographer rang the bell, hoping to make a sale. "Good morning madam. You don't know me but I've come to..."

"Oh, no need to explain. I've been expecting you," Mrs. Smith cut in. "Really?" the photographer asked. "Well, good! I've made a specialty of babies."

"That's what my husband and I had hoped. Please come in and have a seat. Just where do we start?" asked Mrs. Smith, blushing.

"Leave everything to me. I usually try two in the bathtub, one on the couch and perhaps a couple on the bed. Sometimes the living room floor is fun too; you can really spread out."

"Bathtub? Living room floor? No wonder it didn't work for Harry and me."

"Well, Madam, none of us can guarantee a good one every time. But if we try several different positions, and if I shoot from six or seven angles, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results."

"I hope we can get this over with quickly," gasped Mrs. Smith.

"Madam, in my line of work, a man must take his time. I'd love to be in and out in five minutes, but you'd be disappointed with that, I'm sure."

"Don't I know!", Mrs. Smith exclaimed.

The photographer opened his briefcase and pulled out a portfolio of his baby pictures. "This was done on the top of a bus in downtown London."

"Oh my gosh!", Mrs. Smith exclaimed, tugging at her handkerchief.

"And these twins turned out exceptionally well when you consider their mother was so difficult to work with." The photographer handed Mrs. Smith the picture.

"She was difficult?" asked Mrs. Smith.

"Yes, I'm afraid so. I finally had to take her to Hyde Park to get the job done right. People were crowding around four and five deep, pushing to get a good look."

"Four and five deep?" asked Mrs. Smith, eyes widened in amazement.

"Yes", the photographer said. "And for more than three hours, too.

The mother was constantly squealing and yelling. I could hardly concentrate. Then darkness approached and I began to rush my shots. Finally, when the squirrels began nibbling on my equipment, I just packed it all in."

Mrs. Smith leaned forward. "You mean they actually chewed on your, uh ... equipment?".

"That's right. Well, Madam, if you're ready, I'll set up my tripod so that we can get to work."

"Tripod?" Mrs. Smith looked extremely worried now.

"Oh yes, I have to use a tripod to rest my Canon on. It's much too big for me to hold while I'm getting ready for action. Madam? Madam?
    ... my god, she's fainted!"

By dave. on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 09:08 pm:

it's almost like she didn't understand the reason he was there. actually, it's like they were both having a misunderstanding. it's funny how a piece of dialog can have multiple interpretations.

By Antigone on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 09:18 pm:

Sometimes, dave, you up me crack.

By patrick on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 11:46 am:

that was great droop.

yes eri...perhaps i should learn to pay more attention to sweet cat's thoughts and feelings.

i don't like being called pretty or flattered any which way. it makes me really uncomfortable.

By The Watcher on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 02:47 pm:

I loved that story the first time I heard it.

It's getting a little old. But, it does hold up well.

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 10:29 am:

By Nate on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 11:06 am:

damn spunky. you're always right.

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 11:08 am:

Yeah right

By patrick on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 11:50 am:

9 months late, but right.

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:51 pm:

I heard some crap that the big 3 networks were considering running the WTC clips on the 11th of next month.

If they do, that should be the death nail in thier coffins. The fact that they are even considering it just furthers my belief that networks will do anything, sacrifice any amount of integrity or standards, or respect for ratings.

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 03:00 pm:

By patrick on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 03:06 pm:

the news being different than that game you posted earlier trace?

a game derived out of the death of thousands of real people?

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 03:31 pm:

Hey, did you read what I said when I posted that?
    Was I promoting it? Do I somehow benefit from it?
    or did I say
    "With the understanding of most of yer all's humour, I thought someone might enjoy this.

I could not play it very long."

By Nate on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 04:15 pm:

i thought you meant 'i could not play it very long' because it was too hard for you.

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 04:17 pm:

Thanks....

No, when you miss the plane and watch the tower come down, i had to stop.

By semillama on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 06:09 pm:

The Northern Alliance isn't as bad as the
    Taliban, they ARE the Taliban. Those fucks
    switched sides so often that there is no
    difference. The Northern Alliance is as
    ruthless and insane as the Taliban, except
    they're helping us. Contras for the new
    millenium!

Spunky, you should go pick up Ted Rall's "to
    Afghanistan and Back" - it's a really good
    read, even if you don't agree with his politics ( I
    do most of the time for the record).

By patrick on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 02:05 pm:

Are you willing to spend billions of dollars and countless lives going to war with Iraq, bypass UN weapons inspectors and the world at large to address an unspecified threat that Saddam is going to make his chemical, biological and nuclear weapons available to terrorists yet this barely gets a mention?

Where would you spend your anti-terrorist dollars?

On a fanatical tyrrant who experts say is too much of an egomaniac to share his weapons with anyone, knowing he'd suffer international annihilation if he got caught?

or

a scrap yard of millions of Soviet chemically loaded warheads and rockets that are barely under guard in an economically deprived region bordering the Asian subcontinent known for its muslim extremists?

Where's the money best spent people?

By spunky on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 02:19 pm:

The chief U.N. inspector, Hans Blix, said Iraq has agreed to "accept all the rights of inspections that are laid down" in earlier U.N. resolutions.

Iraq last month promised to give inspectors unconditional access to sites across the country -- but since then, it has resisted suggestions to broaden the inspection regime that existed earlier.

Earlier, U.N. inspectors had pressed the Baghdad delegation Tuesday for free access to so-called "sensitive sites" where Saddam Hussein could be concealing weapons of mass destruction.

As inspectors prepared for a fresh assessment of Iraq's nuclear, biological and chemical weapons capabilities, the final day of logistical talks was to focus on government complexes such as the Defense Ministry, Interior Ministry and headquarters of Saddam's elite Republican Guard, where access has been restricted in the past.

"It all has to be immediate, unconditional and unrestricted access," Blix told reporters. But he added: "We'll see -- the devil is in the details."

By patrick on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 02:22 pm:

so what.

Iraq is not proven to be a threat. Millions of KNOWN (thats a key word) Russian chemical weapons barely guarded ARE.

Don't be stupid.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 02:24 pm:

and i swear to god if you respond by cutting and pasting text from a news article i will throw something blunt, heavy and dense through this fucking computer right up your nose.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 02:33 pm:

What do you mean Iraq is not proven to be a threat?
    Russia has problems, yes. But they are ostensibly our ally.
    Iraq is not.
    I do not understand your logic.

And I will cut and paste all I want, you can throw all the temper tantrums you like.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 02:46 pm:

*shakes head*

What don't you understand spunk?

THINK.

No, Iraq is not a threat technologically, logistically or militarily. This has yet to be proven.

So where is the threat? And do not cite anything the Bush administration is saying because they are established liars. I want proof that Iraq has the weapons, the means to deliver them, and the motive to do so and/or the connections to al Qaida to distribute them to.

Im not talking about *Russia* being the threat nimwit. Im talking about their cash-strapped military infrastructure and its ill guarded weapons cache being easily stolen by terrorists who ARE a threat.

Congress if moving towards scrapping the program to help Russia destroy these weapons that sit idle, out in the open, in a barely guarded region known for its Islamic fundamentalists.

HELLO!!!! Even an idiot can see the obvious danger in this.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 02:54 pm:

"I want proof that Iraq has the weapons, the means to deliver them, and the motive to do so and/or the connections to al Qaida to distribute them to. "

You, my testy little friend, are not cleared to get such proof. Neither is the media or most of the congressmen.
    Unless you are willing to divuldge every little bit of private information for a security clearance.
    Dumbass.
    "And do not cite anything the Bush administration is saying because they are established liars."
    Maybe established to you, but not to me.
    What, you think Rumsfeld and Bush and Cheney and Rice and Powell are all bigger liars then Hussein?
    You believe Hussein's BS before the US Government?

By patrick on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 03:07 pm:

If we are taking this nation to war based on the claims by our President and his staff, Congress and the American people demand the proof will be made public. So you can take your low-grade civilian-military "clearance" snobbery and shove it up your ass. I know the idea of "clearance levels" comforts your ignorance, but not mine.

Who the bigger liar is not relevent trace. Hussein is lying, stalling and distracting this whole process just like the US would if it were in a similar position. We've been stalling and distratcing processes we don't approve of in the world forum too. You think he's just expected to invite inspectors on over to have free reign? You think we'd allow that here? Fuck no, so don't be naive.

I don't believe bullshit period trace, from home or abroad. When its concerning war, the burden lies on the accusor. This is a basic tenet of our criminal process and would expect it when sending our troops to war.

They arent established liars to you, because its well established you arent too bright when it comes to these particular matters trace.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 03:30 pm:

No, the difference is you are not critical of anyone that tells you bush is lying and you welcome any statement that says he is with open arms, because you cannot stand him. Period.

I will ignore your insults. You are a biased, pompous, self rightous, prick.

By Gee on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 03:39 pm:

he is. but then, so are we all.

Patrick, do you have to do that shaking head stuff? it's so "internet chat nerd".

By patrick on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 03:43 pm:

yes.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 03:49 pm:

"If we are taking this nation to war based on the claims by our President and his staff, Congress and the American people demand the proof will be made public."

Please do me a favour, seriously.
    Outline, exactly, the proof that was provided for
    WWI, (Pearl Harbor will suffice for Japan's part of WWII, but what proof was provided for Germany?
    Did we have any real proof of the concentration camps?
    What about Korea?
    I will Vietnam alone for obvious reasons.
    Bosnia?
    Kosovo?
    Iraq in 96?
    Iraq in 98?

Why the huge outcry this time?
    What is so different?
    By the way, 9/11 is more of an argument FOR invasion, not AGAINST, not sure why you brought it up the other day.

And just exactly what has the Bush Administration, specifically GWB, Ashcroft, Cheney, and Rice, been proven to lie about, in the public, not the little black helicopter websites I have been browsing as of late?
    Rummy did lie, the CDC did provide spores to Iraq in the 80's.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 05:16 pm:

you need serious history lessons.

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 05:42 pm:

"You, my testy little friend, are not cleared to get such proof."

Spunk, you won't be cleared to hear the accusations set against you when the MPs knock down your door...

"Did we have any real proof of the concentration camps?"

No, but they did, uhh...INVADE POLAND AND FRANCE.

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 05:43 pm:

Spunk, you're getting really funny.

Are you off your meds again?

By dave. on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 08:46 pm:

"he is. but then, so are we all."

*raises eyebrow and cocks head to the NNE, then snorts derisively to himself and begins to type a remark*

i am NOT self-righteous.

*folds arms across chest, re-reading remark to self several times. satisfied, identifies himself and posts message.*

By Gee on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 09:38 pm:

that was pretty funny.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 10:58 pm:

"you need serious history lessons."

Nice evasion

By spunky on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 11:03 pm:

So, how about the Torch???

By patrick on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 11:26 am:

not dodging any question spunk, just not taking up a fools errand.

*removes stereotypically 'nerd', black-rimmed glasses in a deliberately upscale fashion, adjusts balls, makes post and heads to the break room for more brain juice*

By J on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 11:57 am:

Brain Juice,I'll buy that for a dollar. Is there really such a thing? Cause I be needing some of that,seriously.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 12:57 pm:

"Of all the repugnant dictatorships in the world, why this one? The regime of Saddam Hussein is repugnant, and has been for many years. But so are other countries’ regimes. Why attack this one? Why not focus specifically on the very real and immediate threats of terror around the world?"

Source

Now I do agree with that statement...

By patrick on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 01:17 pm:

its like somedays the lights are on, and others they're off.

By spunky on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 10:38 am:

"BAGHDAD, Iraq — An Iraqi vice president offered a unique solution to the U.S.-Iraq standoff: a duel between George W. Bush and Saddam Hussein.

Taha Yassin Ramadan said the duel could be held at a neutral site and with U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan as the referee.

Ramadan, wearing a green uniform and a black beret, made his remarks without giving any outward sign that he was joking although reporters who were present detected a note of irony in his voice.

"A president against a president and vice president against a vice president and a duel takes place, if they are serious, and in this way we are saving the American and the Iraqi people," Ramadan told the Associated Press Television Network. "

Maybe they will carry it on Pay Per View????

By semillama on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 07:03 pm:

DUel my ass.

I'm talking some tag team action!

By Nate on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 07:59 pm:

speaking of tag-team, i caught a monty python the other night where someone used the phrase 'pile driver'.

except, it was in reference to someone getting kicked in the ass.

By Anurag Bajpai on Saturday, April 3, 2004 - 01:19 am:

kindly given me to some information in stratigic aliance in business management in the form of a term paper in MBA class like to present the presentation in class room

Anurag Bajpai

By Antigone on Saturday, April 3, 2004 - 03:34 am:

kindly fuck you, you kindly ass

By Scott on Saturday, January 8, 2005 - 10:04 am:

Found this site by accident, what a bunch of loosers

By Rowlfe on Saturday, January 8, 2005 - 11:41 pm:

loser
    looser
    loooser
    looooser
    loooooser
    looooooser
    loooooooser
    looooooooser
    loooooooooser
    looooooooooser
    loooooooooooser

By moonit on Sunday, January 9, 2005 - 02:16 am:

man I hate being called Loose. Like its any of your business how many boys I've slept with. Fucktard.

By V on Sunday, January 9, 2005 - 06:10 pm:

YES,......IT WAS AN UNINTENDED INSULT,...as for v?well I,ve slept with 102 girls at the last count,but I dont tell names,I,m kinda modest like that...also, I dont give detail or hints as to what went on...but it was nice.

By Dodi on Sunday, January 9, 2005 - 10:03 pm:

Is Moonit loose??

By Dodi on Sunday, January 9, 2005 - 10:04 pm:

Wow V....quite the stud.:)

By Gee on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 10:30 am:

what is wrong with you?

girls who sleep with lots of people are SLUTS!

guys who sleep with lots of people are COOL!

YAY!

By dave. on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 11:45 am:

what's slutty or cool about sleeping a lot?

By moonit on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 02:48 pm:

Man I gotta get me a jizzmop.

By semillama on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 04:28 pm:

129.80.22.133, is the magic number.

By TBone on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 05:07 pm:

American Management Systems seems to own them all, so I think we can safely jizzmop 129.80.22

By Antigone on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 05:16 pm:

Interesting. Posting from work at Storage Tek?

By semillama on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:04 am:

to jizzmop 129.80.22, do you have to do anything different than for a more specific IP address?

Because it seems like she's hopping around on different computers at work to try and get around the jizzmop.

Have you ever seen anyone be so persistent in their attempts to annoy people?

By Dodi on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 11:04 am:

I'm not even thinking about the Jizzmop thingy, so get over it already.

By Platypus on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 02:25 pm:

So for those of us who are inept, how do we add 129.80.22 to our jizzmop?

By V on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 07:33 pm:

Them "jizzmops" also cut through grunge on plates.,swear I got one in the kitchen.

By TBone on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 09:42 am:

No, it's not anything different from adding a normal IP, except that you skip the last number.
    I'm doing my silly little radio show right now so I don't have a jizzmop script in front of me, but I just copied one of the lines with an IP in it, pasted it right underneath that line, then changed the first three numbers and deleted the last one.

By semillama on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 09:56 am:

cool. thanks.

jizzmop is like the cooling cream to a bad case of hemmorhoids.

By Gee on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 12:11 pm:

ew.

and, how apt!

By Antigone on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 01:49 pm:

I'll send out the latest version. It's a little easier to edit.

By Platypus on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 02:07 pm:

Hooray. You are totally my hero.

By TBone on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 02:23 pm:

Kickazz.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 03:26 pm:

now with "regular expressions"

By J on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 03:16 pm:

jizzmop is real?

By V on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 03:51 pm:

No its not,v still exists.

By Platypus on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 08:14 pm:

Yes, J, jizzmop is real. And a blessing to us all. I'm sure Antigone would be only too happy to provide you with a copy. (I know he's getting free sushi from me if ever he ends up California ways...)

By Dodi on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 10:42 pm:

me too!!

By V on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 09:35 pm:

jizzmop,pah!!!!!

By Dodi on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 12:57 am:

pah!! pah!! pah!!

:)

By V on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 09:38 pm:

good for only washing dishes.

By Dodi on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 12:36 am:

..or toilets..

By Dodi on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 12:37 am:

..or bidets..lol

By FUCK YOU ALL on Sunday, April 2, 2006 - 07:37 am:

HEY BITCHES TIMES UP
    WAR OF THE POWERS WILL NOW BEGIN

By V on Sunday, April 2, 2006 - 02:55 pm:

HMMMMM,X-ray machines at underground stations,in London,we have it allready.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact