Welcome King Bush?

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Welcome King Bush?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 01:09 pm:

what up with this?

and

this?

the latter is particularly interesting to note because his Papa left office nearly 12 years ago making that administrations doing public via the Freedom of Information Act.

Inparticular to people who voted for this guy, id like pose the question, again, WHY? Eri, Trace, J...im looking in your direction.

By The Watcher on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:58 pm:

The first situation in someways makes me leary of Congress. Do they want to micro-manage the executive branch?

The second is just Bush's way to protect government secruity secrets. Remember Ronald Reagan is still alive but suffers from Alsimers.

Some of the Reagan documents could put valuable US intelegence sources in jeperdy. (I know it's mispelled)

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 06:56 pm:

"Do they want to micro-manage the executive branch?"

Its called checks and balances DOOD!!!!! They have a Constitutional right to request such documents. Its in no one's best interest to micro-manage, but its in everyone's best interest to use our system of checks and balances. Thats why these requests come from committees, not individuals. The system of establishing committees within our legistlative branch doesnt allow them to micro manage.

And if you really think these measures are being passed in the name of national security (could they use that excuse pre 9/11? doubtful) your a fool. Nobody working in our government wants to reveal information that can potentially compromise national security man. They are only using that as a guise.

The problem is, even someone requesting information on domestic issues or internal matters unrelated to security all together would be prevented from accessing it, despite the Freedom of Information Act.

The majority of Bush's cabinet worked for his dad. Many even worked for the Regan administration. The health of Reagan has nothing to do with the release of documents either to Congressional committees or individuals under the Freedom of Information Act. Reagan is not the one to say "yes" or "no" to a documents release.

By eri on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 10:42 pm:

Patrick,

I don't really understand the links, I haven't had the time to really read them, but based on your last post I have some questions.

Have you ever had a secret?
    Can I have documentation of said secret?
    If it has nothing to do with money (i.e. checks and balances) do I have the right to ask for said secret?
    Is it ethical of me to ask this of you?

Maybe we differ. (Again I don't have an understanding of what Bush has done as of yet). BUt I do tend to think that some things (freedom of information act or not) are none of my business.

By Nate on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 05:04 am:

it is called checks and balances, patty-- the presidency has been weak. this restores the balance of the three branches, rather than taking from it.

By Antigone on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 12:37 pm:

The presidency has been week, as the ability of congress to create presidential havoc during the Clinton years attests. However, I don't think secrecy is the way to restore the balance. That seems too icky to me.

By patrick on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 01:05 pm:

um eri, its called checks and balances because of the ability of one branch to "check up" if you will on another branch of our govenrment, preventing one branch from running away with power..thereby "balancing" powers.

it has nothing to do with money.

if you can't or won't read the articles, I can't possibly answer your questions as they are totally irrelavent.

I believe in congressional committee review. One of the key domestic issues (i.e. unrelated to national security) that Congress is looking to investigate (But Bush is blocking) is the on-goings of Cheney, Enron and US energy department doings in recent years. It's important that we get full disclosure on shit like that, and hope the sue the white house to get the disclosure the public needs. Its essential to prevent the executive branch from completely running away with power.

By Spider on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 01:34 pm:

"if you can't or won't read the articles, I can't possibly answer your questions as they are totally irrelavent."

Lighten up, dude.

By patrick on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 01:47 pm:

im completely lit up spider.

but just imagine if we attempted to have a conversation about indie music spider and I had the notion that indie music is music from Indiana.

By Antigone on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 02:47 pm:

I thought it was from India.

By Spider on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 02:55 pm:

Yeah, but you don't have to act like you're a professor scolding a lazy student or something. Jeez.

By Antigone on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 02:59 pm:

Now, cool your pretty little heels there, young lady!

By droopy on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 03:02 pm:

a lot of people think "indie rock" was indiana jones's best album, but i still say "tempo of doom" was better.

By patrick on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 03:06 pm:

my scalding statements usually end with !!!!!!
    and contain foul language.

By Spider on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 03:23 pm:

1) I said scOlding.

2) Come on! Y'all have to admit that wasn't very nice.

3) Dammit, why won't people just go to the freakin' office party already, so I can sneak out and go home?

By patrick on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 03:33 pm:

ok, either way..scolding, scalding, whatever.and no i didnt mean any ill will with it spider. dont be soo sensitive.

i meant it as plain jane as can be. she asked me questions. but since she didn't read the articles, and the questions clearly indicate she didnt read them, its futile to answer them. There was no evil intent in that statement to her.

By Spider on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 03:55 pm:

So what? That was my point - what is this, a lecture? She can ask anything she wants. And she clearly said that her questions were in reference to your last post, so she wasn't even straying from the topic. So why act so pissy towards her?

And why does my boss come in here and start debating whether the 12th or the 15th century was more technologically advanced, when he should be at that party so I can leave?? ARGH.

By Cat on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 04:01 pm:

You're cute when you're all feisty, Spider.

By The Watcher on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 04:04 pm:

The issue with the Presidential Papers is who controls their availability. And, who owns them.

The Office of the President of the United States.
    Or, the former President who generated the documents. This is a hairy issue.

It used to be assumed that the documents belonged to the nation. Therefore, they came under the authority of the Office of the President. Now, almost every President grabs everything and stuffs all "their" papers in their Presidential Library.

I call that an interesting legal question.

By patrick on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 05:19 pm:

the only one being pissy spider is you. although i do find eri's navity unsettling and tremendously disturbing, ("BUt I do tend to think that some things (freedom of information act or not) are none of my business.") i wasnt being pissy to her.

jesusfrigginchrist spider calm down.

they way i see it watcher, the doings of a president, in terms of policy belongs to the people. we arent talking about personal documents here. we are speaking of documents pertaining to the business of the US.

the business papers of an employee belong to the company, not the employee who has occupied the cube a for a span of time.

By The Watcher on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 05:28 pm:

Bingo!!!

You are right Patrick. But, former presidents seem to think that if it came out of the White House during their term it belongs to them.

They clean house very quickly at the end of their terms.

By Cat on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 09:12 pm:

Actually much as I hate to argue with you on more than one thread, Patrick, it's my not-so-humble opinion that you're out of line here.

Spider was correct. You were rude to Eri. She was a bit ditzy in her response, but who isn't sometimes?

Mind you, I probably would have been just as mean to her.

Spider shames us all with her compassion and tolerance.

By Nate on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 05:41 am:

i feel like i'm waiting for godot.

By Dani on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 09:20 am:

Patty? Rude? Who would have ever thought.
    Thats a shocker.

By Spider on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 12:41 pm:

The only arrogance I can tolerate is my own.

By Antigone on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 03:58 pm:

You should tolerate that arrogance the least.

By sarah on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 06:28 pm:

i bet she meant to say "can't".

By Antigone on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 08:01 pm:

I bet she did.

By droopy on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 08:36 pm:

maybe she didn't. maybe it was a confession.

a wise man once said that we hardly ever find people of good sense save those who share our opinion.

i'm not saying i actually know. i'm saying i'm a betting man. if it's a freudian slip that she'll admit to, it still counts in my favor.

By Czarina on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 05:15 am:

Monica,Clinton,and the cigar.

Thats information I wish they had kept secret.

I just can't seem to move past that.

By Spider on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 11:38 am:

Maybe, "The only arrogance I tolerate is my own" would have been clearer. Or maybe

By eri on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 03:09 pm:

This is crazy. I appreciate those of you who stood up for me. I was being honest in my lack of knowledge of the links up front. I didn't realize that I was to be snotted on for honesty.

I have two very active children and a house and a husband and many other things I have to take care of. I have a very limited amount of time I can spend on the computer. I am sorry if it offends you that I don't have time to sit and read through all kinds of links and make sure I get a clear understanding of them, but frankly, I don't have the time. I have more important things to do.

As far as what "Bush" is blocking as far as information, I really don't know enough about it to comment on that specifically. I don't have the time to sit around and pick apart all of these things. I don't have time to research and complain about every step taken by our government. It could very well be that he is in the wrong, but I just don't know.

I get tired of defending myself. I don't shit on any of you for having different opinions.

By Antigone on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 03:34 pm:

We don't shit on you for having different opinions, just uninformed ones. You honestly said you were ignorant. We honestly agreed.

If you can't take the shit, get out of the Sorabji.

If you can't take a joke, take it out on Antigone.

By Cat on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 06:11 pm:

Enough with the "we". There's too many "we's" around as it is. I'm an "I" and this isn't Sorabjwe.

By Antigone on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 09:22 pm:

We don't agree.

By Cat on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 01:54 am:

You wouldn't, you big wetard. :p

By Antigone on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 03:35 am:

What a lame wetort!

By Cat on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 03:39 am:

I will have you all know that I was talking to Antigone on YIM and I mentioned that I had made a "weally great wetort". He is *such* a thief.

By Antigone on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 03:40 am:

I'll have everyone know that Cat and I NEVER chat on YM, EVER.

By Cat on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 03:47 am:

Welcome to my ignore list, you big putrid stealing pile of steaming turdfaces.

By Czarina on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 08:50 am:

I'm gonna go poop,now.

By patrick on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 11:54 am:

eri....your ignorance is very very very very disturbing and unsettling. you personify a face of america i only see on TV. and you know, maybe i was being snotty , but god damn eri if you make a decision to be ignorant on something, its kinda a waste of time to talk to you about it. whatever.

(cat i can take you on 1,2, 3 fronts if need be. i realize your the kinda girl where one front just wont do. you need it from multiple ways)

on another note to sideswipe the conversation i learned something about my family that represents a facet of american life that you only see on tv.

in particular, jerry springer.

i learned on of my family members was sexually molested by another family member as a teenager.

im pretty fucking confused and torn, though not as much as the victim.

needless to say my visit back east wed will be tainted with this new information at the same time i will have to maintain calm as not to knock the shit out of a certain relative.

By Cat on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 02:35 pm:

"but god damn eri if you make a decision to be ignorant on something, its kinda a waste of time to talk to you about it. whatever."

And this from the man who told me Afghanistan is more peaceful now. heh.

By patrick on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 02:42 pm:

Cat, in case you havent noticed, the civil war is over now that the Taliban is non existant.

where exactly is the falsehood in saying Afghanistan is more peaceful now than it has been in the last 5-10 years or more?

By The Watcher on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 03:05 pm:

Be verwy qwiet. I'm hunting wabbits. Heh. Heh. Heh.

I'm only slightly nuts today.

I stand up for eri's right to be ignorant and speak her mind. After all, that is the American way.

To prove it just watch Jerry Springer.

Better yet watch the Tonight show when Leno has one of his street side quizes. And, they find no one who can answer the simplest questions.

That proves all Americans have the God given right to be ignorant and still flap their gums.

The effectiveness of our school systems is on display to the rest of the world.

By Dani on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 07:27 pm:

Yup, what Watcher said.

By Czarina on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 09:57 am:

I don't think Eri is the only ignorant one here.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 04:47 pm:

Never said she was.

I'm just standing up for our rights.

Of course on the few occassions when my mouth has gotten ahead of my brain. I've usually been totally embarrased by the facts.

By eri on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 07:56 pm:

I would simply like to receive the facts in a simple, short, edited version that I can read in a short amount of time and understand. It used to be that when I was "ignorant" on a certain topic (usually politics or sociology) that Patrick would give me enough information to understand what he was talking about and where he was coming from. Right now he is just bent on telling me how ignorant I am. We are all ignorant when it comes to different topics. None of us know it all. I am at least honest and sincere about the things I don't know. If there is someone who wants to bash me for it, whatever. All that will do is turn me away from the whole issue and create the opposite effect of what they were originally intending to do (get an answer to their question, change a thought process, whatever). Funny thing is the more people tell me that I personify a face of America only on T.V. the more I am apt to do exactly that. On the same token, the more information people will share in a manner I can understand, the more I am apt to think about an issue.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 06:30 pm:

Good work.

I think most of the problems of ignorant people, Most obviously not our eri, is that the schools today don't educate.

Instead they indoctrinate.

They push an agenda. By doing this they are doing a disservice to our (any) country.

And, the government doesn't help much either. Mandatory testing means that when the schools actually teach something it is only so students can pass the tests.

Worldnetdaily has a good article about the gay agenda in the Boston area schools today. I'd post it here but I have to leave now.

By eri on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 07:54 pm:

Thank you Watcher. I agree with what you have said about the schools. I have noticed, out here, particularly on the elementary level, that the schools are only concerned with teaching things that will get them extra money. For example, Hayley's school is a Title 1 school (meaning that they get extra funding for reading and reading comprehension). Hayley is an excellent reader. She reads 2 grade levels ahead and is bored by what is taught in class. Last year they put her in Title 1 to fill an empty spot to earn more money from the government. Hayley is struggling very hard in math. Basic addition and subtraction and telling time are very difficult for her. In this she is at a kindergarten level. We work with her at home as much as we can, but all that the school and her teacher are willing to do is tell us that she is doing poorly on her tests and that she needs help. Duh, we are already doing everything in our power, but if she isn't learning it a school, how are we supposed to teach it at home? Last year her teacher told me that they were cramming an entire semesters worth of work into 3 weeks because all of the kids were having problems. To me that sounds like a problem that the teachers and educators need to figure out. THat is their job. We can work with our children until we are blue in the face, but it has to start at school if they are to learn. Isn't a teacher supposed to teach?

I would like to see that link. I know that schools in Independence MO are holding gay is O.K. classes for Kindergarteners. It isn't that I agree or disagree, but the focus of the school at that age should be the basics and morality and such should be left to the parents. It is our job as parents to teach our children right from wrong and the schools job to teach reading, writing, arithmatic, etc.

By The Watcher on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 03:44 pm:

Have you thought of private school for Hayley?

If you can't afford it most should offer scholarships.

I once has a college instructor tell my math class "my job is not to teach you.".

I felt like my money was being taken under false pretenses. I couldn't keep up with her machinegun delivery; so I dropped the class.

By eri on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 04:51 pm:

We have looked into private schools. The ones out here are church based and church members get the first slots. We found one we could afford, but they only had room for Hayley and wouldn't have room for Mikayla. Or if one had room for both they wanted way too much money. In an area where one of the public school districts has lost accreditation and is about to be taken over by the state, well private schools have limited room, magnet schools have closed their doors completely and shut down. It is a nasty mess out here.

Machine gun delivery. THat is pretty much what they are expecting out of the kids here. Sad, too. If Hayley were doing well in Math she would have been tested for the gifted program. Since she has issues with Math, they won't even begin to test her for it, and they won't give her the help she needs. Kansas City sucks. North Kansas City isn't much better.

By The Watcher on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 05:36 pm:

My mother was born in Kansas City.

I might have relatives there. But, I wouldn't know she was adopted. I know she had other siblings because she was not an infant at the time. But, she never mentioned them.

By J on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 11:02 am:

All schools are like that everywhere,I'm telling you she has a learning disorder and it's your schools duty to accomidate her,it's against federal guidelines if they don't.

By eri on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 01:07 pm:

I have been trying to get the results of her learning disability tests, or copies of them. They are also supposed to show a bit of her psychology in what environments and techniques will work for her and what she naturally rebels against (thus impeding her learning). I have been trying for two years and got nothing. I fight but the damned schools think it is their property and don't have to share it, even with her doctor.

I don't think they care too much about federal law here. If it isn't enforced regularly, then they don't care. They just care about the paycheck and whether or not they get head lice from the other kids (they put everything your child has in plastic bags from hats to backpacks to lunches to pencils and notebooks).

I realize that I grew up in a vastly different area with a completely different approach to education, but I am not biased because it is different. I am dissapointed at how they don't really care about the children who struggle. How it is their business to teach "morals" and "values" and decide to take it upon themselves to get your child glasses when your doctor just told you she didn't need them, but on the same token they aren't willing to invest in teaching struggling children math and science.

I was watching something on the education channel out here about schools that were putting children in "values" classes and teaching the kids right from wrong in the form of sexuality, gay/straight, tolerance, christianity, and things of the sort. A lot of parents were upset simply stating that these were the things that they were to teach their children and not the school. This was at an elementary to junior high level. I am not talking about sex ed here. I actually tend to agree with the parents. Why take quality time away from academics to teach an 8 year old about whether or not God exists? This is something to be handled by the parents. It is my job to teach right from wrong to my children. It is the schools job to teach reading writing math science social studies economics political science or whatever, but not their job to tell my children that they are in this class to learn about abstinance. The teachers were complaining about not being able to teach about birth control saying that they were inhibited in their teaching. To me a health class for an elementary school student should be about healthy eating and excersize and learning the science of how our different body systems work. Sex ed in elementary school should be telling girls about the fact that they are going to get periods and that there are pads and tampons available, not about sex and contraception. The gay/straight thing I don't believe is for the school to teach but the parents. Tolerance, to me is like political correctness and again should be the teaching of the parents. These kids need to learn critical thinking skills so that they can function on their own as adults and telling someone what to think about controvesial issues at such a young age does not teach them how to think for themselves but it instead indoctrinates them and creates yet another generation of monkeys. Academic problems are for schools. Societal problems are for families and parents.

By The Watcher on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 04:49 pm:

I believe I've seen a book advertised on the deliberate dumbing down of America.

I haven't had a chance to read it. But, I would love to.

Perhaps, eri, you aught to locate it and read it. It might have some usable ideas for you.

By The Watcher on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 05:16 pm:

Boy, there sure are a few good ones at amazon.com.

Here is the one I heard about:

"The Deliberate Dumbing Down of Amreica - A Chronological Paper Trail" By Charlotte Thompson Iserbyt, Charlotte Iserbyt-Thomson

What a mouthful. It's expensive, $40. But, I did here it is good. Very good.

By eri on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 07:41 pm:

I'll keep my eye out. Thanx

By patrick on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 01:46 pm:

Eri...i thought Id finally get around to responding to you.

I didnt bash anyone. Please. Thats crazy. All I said was, its kinda pointless to converse about a topic if you havent read the background. I then went on to say I find your comfort and ease with your ignorance on certain issues disarming and unsettling especially when it comes to how our government does business.

NOW...back to the topic at hand. You may have heard some things regarding Enron and your pals Bush & Co. and a potential conflict of interest.

Well, Ive always said (Clinton included) if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck and talks like a duck, it probably is a duck.

Though it has yet to be fully investigated, im sure there is all kinds of illegal shit going on between Bush & Co. and his oil fuckos at Enron.

Where's the special prosecutors now? They were lined up out the door at the hints of Clinton and Whitewater. Where are they now?

*grumbles*

Anyway...WHY we need disclosure Eri, why the government should be kept in check by disclosure is because of exactly what is unfolding now.

Suspect
    "On Thursday, Enron's auditing firm, whose work is under investigation by federal regulators, disclosed that its employees had destroyed a significant number of documents - a congressional source said it was thousands of pages - related to the company."

Suspect
    "Enron was one of Bush's biggest political contributors"

Suspect
    "The bankruptcy has forced White House officials to face questions once posed to the scandal-tainted Clinton White House. Would Bush support naming a special prosecutor to investigate? Fleischer said no. He also said he did not know any White House aides who had hired lawyers. And there was a development reminiscent of Clinton's Whitewater: missing documents."

Now....they may investigate this and find nothing there, which is eventually what happened with Whitewater....rather they found enough loopholes and legalschmegal to not justify further action and basically let the subject alone with nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

But, you if there is something here, making presidential documents available to the public is essential to prevent corruption fraud etc.

Do you see the importance of this Eri or do you still think that the things YOUR government does with YOUR tax dollars are "none of your business."?

By The Watcher on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 02:01 pm:

There is one small difference here.

The documents missing during the Clinton administration were from the law firm that Hillery worked for. And, they were found in the White House.

There has been no direct link, so far, between President Bush and the problem at Enron.

And, the missing documents this time were destroyed by the outside Auditors. They're supposed to be totally independant from the company. This is where the real scandal will be.

By patrick on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 03:28 pm:

The "auditors" were hired by Enron.

Kind of hard to find a link when the paperwork is destroyed.

Also its worth noting that Senator Phil Gramm's (R-TX)wife Wendy Gramm, headed the Commodity Futures Trading Commission that regulated part of Enron's business. She later was named to Enron's board of directors.

There are all kinds of suspect relationships going on here.

Like i said, nothing has come out concrete but there are a lot of indicators point to all kinds of conflict of interests.

Walks like, smells like, looks like....far too often, in cases like this with corporations and our government, it IS.

but you know damn well, if it were Clinton, the Special Prosecutors would have already been named, the witch hunt would have been on.

By J on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 11:18 am:

I think with all the workers and investors that got the shaft,there will be plenty of investigations wich may include a Speacial Prosecuter.I'm surprised nobody has gone postal yet.

By J on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 01:57 pm:

By The Watcher on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 03:55 pm:

I have seen a number of reports, though not in the mainline press, about the contributions ENRON made to Democrats in the last election cycle.

Funny how the major news outlets forget that ENRON gave more to the Democrats than to the Republicans.

They seem to have forgotten ENRON made any contributions to the Democrats at all.

By J on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 04:23 pm:

I saw the figures somewhere,can't remember where,but they gave the Republicans something in the 100 thousand dollar neighborhood, they gave the Democrats something in the 400 thousand dollar neighborhood.

By patrick on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 04:31 pm:

Thats a load of shit.

Your facts are all fucked up.

I have two very reputable sources that counter your information.....

Enron Reportedly Gave to Politicians
    Associated Press, 1/14/02

"Since 1990, Enron and its employees contributed $5.77 million to political campaigns nationally, about three-fourths of it to GOP candidates. About half of the money was spent in the 2000 election, with President Bush a major beneficiary."

Enron Spread Campaign Donations All Over Washington
    Reuters 1/11/02

"Since 1989, Enron has made a whopping $5.8 million in campaign donations, 73 percent to Republicans and 27 percent to Democrats, says the Center for Responsive Politics, an organization that tracks political giving."

"Enron was Bush's biggest political patron as he headed into the 2000 presidential election. In all it has made $623,000 in contributions to his campaigns since 1993, when he was raising money for his first Texas gubernatorial race, according to the Center for Public Integrity, another follow-the-money group"

"Texas Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison and Phil Gramm, both Republicans, top the list, having received $99,500 and $97,350 respectively in campaign contributions from Enron, the Center for Responsive Politics says."

"But some Democrats got contributions from Enron too, including senior lawmakers and those on committees relevant to Enron's energy-trading business. For example, Sen. Charles Schumer of New York, a Democrat, received $21,933, the Center said. He is on the energy committee."

"Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle of South Dakota received $6,000 in Enron contributions. Sen. Joseph Lieberman (news), a Connecticut Democrat who chairs the governmental affairs committee that will probe Enron's collapse, got $2,000.

In the House, the top beneficiary of Enron generosity, Democrat Ken Bentsen of Texas, has received $42,750 in contributions since he was elected in 1994."

Do the math watcher.

By The Watcher on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 05:14 pm:

By patrick on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 05:37 pm:

hey im unbiased when it comes to frying corrupt politicians.

there were republicans cheating and getting blow jobs from interns and subordinates as well but hardly a Special Prosecutor to look into the matter.

I just want equal and fair treatment in this matter.

By The Watcher on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 05:48 pm:

Maybe we could all pitchin and buy some rope. Then throw a good old fassioned neck tie party for all the politians.

That's a joke. In todays world you have to watch what you say. Especially in humor. Somebody's bound to take it wrong.

By Clara Peller on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 05:55 pm:

Where's the humor?

By The Watcher on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 06:01 pm:

If it has to be explained any further your to far gone.

By heather on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 06:18 pm:

or it's just not humorous

By Hot glue guns for home craft projects on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 07:03 pm:

I think it's actually very humorous when the republicans get all riled up about gay marriage, and try to pass laws that ensure I'll never be seen as equal to that nice breeder couple down the street. I use the term breeder couple in a humorous way, because it's not ACTUALLY the same couple, it's just the next boy/girl married couple that end up moving in, getting a divorce, and moving out so the next set can move in. Humorously, they don't use the dough they save on taxes to fix up their house, so it just keeps driving down my real estate value. Humorously, it doesn't matter, though, because I'm queer and don't really count in the eyes of those funny republicans. I tell my partner of 18 years that we should just laugh about it, but he isn't laughing. I guess he doesn't like political humor either.

By Clara Peller on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 07:07 pm:

Now I know where the beef is.

By semillama on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 08:48 pm:

It's right here, although the US media
    outlets would never clue you into this little
    tidbit.

To paraphrase Johnny Lydon, "Ever get the
    feeling you've bin cheated?"

(you may just have to go to the BBC site, and
    stick thisin the search bar: Newsnight FBI Bin
    Laden 6/11/01)

By Platypus on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 09:25 pm:

Pretzel, anyone?

By Platypus on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 09:28 pm:

And did you mean this?

Or this, which has the rather preplexing headline "Greg Palest reports on whether someone has been sitting on the FBI."

By Nate on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 12:36 am:

fuck the news, i'm giving great racks low rankings!

By patrick on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 02:34 pm:

This is pretty funny....

January 12, 2002

Mr. T., Mr. G. and Mr. H.

By BILL KELLER

Whenever a truly dreadful person dies or retires and the chorus of polite, speak-no-ill-of-the-departed accolades begins, I think of the
    nasty bee-sting E. E. Cummings bestowed on the editor and poet Louis Untermeyer.

Untermeyer's influential 1919 anthology, Modern American Poetry, omitted some of the great poetic innovators of the time, but included three poems by Untermeyer himself and one by his wife. Cummings gutted him in four lines.

mr u will not be missed

who as an anthologist

sold the many on the few

not excluding mr u

The epigram was mean-spirited (later Untermeyer editions included the overlooked poets, and plenty of Cummings), but it was a memorable kick
    against the collective deference that accumulates around powerful people.

In that dyspeptic spirit I'd like to begin the new year by bidding farewell to three men whose departure will raise the median decency of the
    United States Senate. In their remaining, lame-duck months, Jesse Helms, Strom Thurmond and Phil Gramm will enjoy the ritual tributes of colleagues and the sanitized adieus of home-state editorialists. Let's be frank. They will leave behind an institution they have helped appreciably to debase.

Senators Helms, Gramm and Thurmond have in common the fact that they harnessed their collective century of seniority to the Taliban wing of
    the American right. Point to an act of cultural division, bullying unilateralism or anti-government populism committed in the Senate during their decades there and you will usually find these three men among the sponsors. But
    there are others in the Senate who have voted for egregious causes, right and left, and still others who have never stood for much of anything. What sets these three apart is that each has made his own special contribution to the cynicism of our public life.

It is tempting to excuse them, in their twilight, for at least having made the place more colorful. Mr. Helms affected a theatrically courtly demeanor, sirring and ma'aming witnesses he regarded as infidels. (His manners were selective; it was the courtly Mr. Helms who once remarked that if President Clinton visited North Carolina he'd "better have a bodyguard.") Mr. Gramm pokes witty fun at his own orneriness.
    "People say I don't have a heart," he once joked. "I do. I keep it in a quart jar on my desk." As David Plotz wrote in Slate, Senator Gramm is a mean, bitter pessimist, but
    "he has benefited from one of the strangest prejudices of politics: that meanness is
    a synonym for integrity." Mr. Thurmond benefits from another prejudice, our instinctive American admiration for those who correct themselves. He
    abandoned his ardent segregationist views when the demographics of his state made that expedient, and even hired actual black people to work on his Senate staff, a fact sometimes reported with such awe that you'd think he'd
    marched with Dr. King in Selma.

I wish I could summon up tributes to these men, if only for the contrarian pleasure of defying the liberal tradition of these pages. But alas, it has to be said that each of them has impoverished our precious political culture.

Mr. Thurmond's contribution is that he helped make Congress ridiculous. I can't think of a more cringe- making spectacle in public life than
    watching Mr. Thurmond, age 99, being shoveled into his seat at some committee he
    is only dimly aware of attending, and listening as he struggles to read a text prepared for him by an aide, losing his place at the end of each line. The Senate has never been a youth center, but Mr. Thurmond has deteriorated
    like Dorian Gray's picture while his constituents acquiesced and his colleagues averted their eyes. His embarrassing political shtick includes a
    self-conscious virility, manifested in his ability to produce children into his 70's and in his famously cute habit of leering at female interns, groping female senators and acclaiming the beauty of female witnesses before his
    various committees. Senator Thurmond did not invent the role of Washington lecher, but he helped cultivate the men's-club chauvinism in which Bob Packwood and Bill Clinton and Gary Condit operated.

Please understand, Mr. Thurmond's sin is not that he grew old; it is that growing old was the sum of his career. The message of his nearly
    half-century in the Senate is that success is to be measured not by tangible accomplishments - Mr. Thurmond has none, unless you count getting post
    offices and schools named for himself, and wangling an appointment for his 29-year-old son and namesake as the top federal attorney for South Carolina - but by political longevity. What Mr. Thurmond represents is the transformation of senators into self-perpetuating instruments of
    incumbency. For years, "Senator Thurmond" has been a shell inhabited by party leaders,
    campaign donors and staff who operate behind his Oz-like seniority, the way Communist Party apparatchiks ruled in the name of the sickly Leonid Brezhnev. I don't believe in term limits, on the principle that voters are
    entitled to make their own mistakes, but Mr. Thurmond makes me less certain of my conviction.

Mr. Gramm should be remembered for perfecting one of the more duplicitous roles in politics - the anti-government welfare queen. He has run his every campaign as a scourge of government spending and a champion of the beleaguered little taxpayer. At the same time he has built a great
    money sluice from Washington to his home state and pandered to the energy, banking
    and insurance lobbies that underwrite his political ambitions. His politics could be called hypocrisy, but only in a language that places a huge premium on understatement.

Contrast Mr. Gramm with Representative Dick Armey, another Texan with a mean streak, a Ph.D. in economics and a professed distaste for
    government spending. Mr. Armey, who is also retiring after this Congress, had the
    intellectual integrity to fight federal farm subsidies and to engineer the closing of unneeded military bases, including one serving his home
    district. Not so Mr. Gramm, who once boasted, "I'm carrying so much pork, I'm beginning to get trichinosis."

One of Senator Gramm's most generous benefactors was Enron, which lavished money on his campaigns and paid his wife handsomely as a corporate
    director. Senator Gramm, in turn, had a hand in legislation that exempted Enron's explosive energy derivatives business from government
    regulation and oversight. How big a hand, and whether that legislation enabled the
    secret funny business that led to the company's collapse, may emerge in one of
    the many investigations under way. Enron's business was built on the premise that
    just about anything could be turned into a commodity and bought and sold. The
    beleaguered little taxpayers who lost their jobs and pensions in the Enron fiasco will be interested to know whether that included their senator.

Mr. Helms leaves behind at least a double legacy. He helped perfect fear-mongering as a form of fund- raising, using his own and allied
    political action committees to raise many millions by appealing to the crudest
    bigotries of voters. The technique is now pervasive across the political spectrum, but Mr. Helms helped pioneer those alarming boldface
    solicitations that warn: "Your tax dollars are being used to pay for grade school
    classes that teach our children that CANNIBALISM, WIFE-SWAPPING and the MURDER of infants and the elderly are acceptable behavior." (Yes, that's an
    actual letter that went out over his signature.)

Mr. Helms has also diminished American stature abroad by using senatorial obstruction and intimidation to undermine our diplomatic
    service and pre-empt our foreign policy. As the senior Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for the past 15 years, and as the mentor of a right-wing mafia within the Republican Party, he has been an author of
    much of what makes the world resentful of America: our stingy foreign aid, our
    lordly attitude toward any multilateral organization, our disdain for treaties, our support of despotic regimes from apartheid-era South Africa to the juntas of Latin America.

Mr. Helms will not be missed;

Unrelenting jingoist,

He sold us bullies of their realms,

Not excluding Mr. Helms.

By The Watcher on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 06:08 pm:

Ah, come on be fair.

Now name some Democratic evil doers.

By Nate on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 10:26 pm:

bill clinton
    al gore
    gray davis

now name some evil rock guitarists.

By J on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 11:34 am:

Jimmy Page?

By Platypus on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 03:06 pm:

Gray Davis is satan. Please tell me he's not going to be elected again. I mean, we wouldn't be that stupid twice, would we? Would we?

By The Watcher on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 03:13 pm:

We get the government we deserve.

The only way to change it is to vote.

Thankfully most Americans don't do that any more. So one vote today means more.

By patrick on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 03:29 pm:

i dont think he stands a chance platy.

but it looks the alternative is going to former LA mayor Riordon, whom Im mixed about.

By Platypus on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 12:21 am:

Thank you, patrick. I'll sleep better tonight.

You know, it's funny, I think that voting changes things, and then I realize that most of the other people who live in california must randomly punch whoever looks good, because we end up with such crappy governers.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 12:43 pm:

did you know California is....what is it....the 7th, (or is it the 5th?) largest economy in the world?

isnt that a tremendous fun factoid?

i think California is probably one of the greatest states in the Union. Granted i haven't been to all 50, muchless 25, I think i've only visited about 14 or so states, but god damn if California doesnt have everything.

By Nate on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 03:03 pm:

i'm convinced that it is the greatest state. most of the world seems to agree, too.

By Nate on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 03:16 pm:

i'm convinced that it is the greatest state. most of the world seems to agree, too.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 02:31 pm:

Until it falls off into the sea.

Don't forget to always carry your lifejacket with you.

By Sean Stern on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 02:38 pm:

Sink With California

Well I've Been around the country
    And I've met a lot of kids
    Some kids are smart and some kids are dumb
    But I don't pass judgement they're just having fun
    Some kids get fucked up and others refrain
    But that's what makes the world so great
    No one should be the same
    The kids of the future
    you can see it in their eyes
    They must overcome nationality
    If the World is to survive
    And we'll sink with california
    When it falls into the sea
    Oi i'm not from England, Je Ne Suis pas de France
    Ich bin nicht von Deutschland and I can't dance
    Well I could saay California it means nothing to me.
    I despise nationality
    Shouldn't say that you're from
    north, south, east or west
    It's humanity that is the best
    Yo no soy Mexico, no sano de Italia
    That's all the languages we know
    And actually we're from Canada
    Yes we loe to travel, but we love to see
    That California border, forever and a day
    We'll sink with California
    When it falls into the sea
    From the mountains, to the prairies
    From the desert to the sea
    I'd say California, it means nothing to me
    I despise territorality
    I don't care if you're from north, south, east or west
    live for humanity, forget the rest.
    Yo I'm not from New York, I'm not from Boston
    Y'all I ain't from texas and I'm not patriotic
    Cause the only patriotism that we really need
    Is to sink with the world, with humanity and me

By Nate on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 03:05 pm:

now that doesn't even make sense.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 03:07 pm:

you know.....that has been one of my favorite Youth Brigade songs...and when i reread upon posting it, i have to agree.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 04:01 pm:

that's lame patrick. it doesn't make any sense.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 04:42 pm:

Eventually California will fall into the sea.

I keep thinking my relatives that live there will come to their sences and move. But, they love it.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 05:25 pm:

yeah, because north america is a floating scab and california might just break off and slip into the breakers.

this is one of the reasons we have such a low opinion of the rest of the country.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 05:33 pm:

well YESSSSS nate it IS kinda lame, as I said. Its still a good song.

that and the "California is full of fruits and nuts" crap too.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:04 pm:

It will fall off because of the San Andreas fault.

The kind of idiots we have here have nothing to do with it.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 07:52 pm:

there is no way that california could break off at the san andreas fault. that is the most ridiculous thing i've heard all day.

By Platypus on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:12 am:

Yeah, really. I live *right on* the San Andreas fault for precisely that reason.

By Nate on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:35 am:

i grew up 15 miles from the epicenter of the 1906 quake. i now live 10 miles from the epicenter of the loma prieta.

By Czarina on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 09:28 am:

Eventually, it is likely that any continental crust west of the San andreas fault will indeed seperate from the main body of North america.

It will not "fall" into the sea. It will simply be an island floating off at a very slow [2cms a year] rate. Untill it erodes into nothingness.

Unless,the plate directions change, this will eventually happen. Who knows when. We can't predict that. That it will happen, is a certainty.

At present, they are working on techniques to decrease the tension, in the "slip stick mechanism", which would considerably decrease the amount of damage earthquakes do in the Calif area.

If we can release small, frequent amounts of the tension, that would help considerably.

As far as moving, why? If you like where you live, stay and enjoy your environment.

There are environmental risks every where. Hurricanes on the southern and eastern coasts, tornado's in Kansas, etc.

Fuck it. We're not here that long, we might as well enjoy where we live.

By patrick on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 11:51 am:

the fault generally runs north and south. if anything, according to this animated example of the kind of fault it is, California will most likely slide north.

This is a more accurate idea. I read not too long ago, that thousands of years ago, the the land between downtown LA and Pasadena is slowly being crunched. In otherwords, downtown is moving north/northeast.

CA will not break off into the sea. i will more likely crawl up portlands ass.

By Czarina on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:57 pm:

http://geology.er.usgs.gov/eastern/plates.html

Look here,Patrick. This diagrams it for you.

My reference to "continental crust west of the San Andreas fault,will indeed seperate from the main body of North America", can be visualized here.

It is simple. We are referring to two seperate plates,moving in two seperate directions.

That little chunk of Calif west of the San Andreas fault is on the Pacific Plate. The rest of North America is on the North american Plate.

That little chunck of Calif west of the fault has to go where the rest of its plate takes it. It is part of that plate.

The Pacific plate,[at present], is moving northwest, the North american Plate is moving southeast.

In 16 million years, Los angles will be north of San francisco.

The distinction here,is that it is 2 different plates. This is happening. You will not be alive to see the end results.

That little chunk of Calif will eventually erode away to nothing,and just be covered by the sea.

This will not effect you. You will be long gone.

By Nate on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 01:15 pm:

remember folks, we're dealing with science here. not exactly the most accurate of relgions.

By patrick on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 01:20 pm:

yesterday i spent some time reading a few pages on the san adreas published froma few University research sites here in CA, not one of them mentioned CA splitting off into the Pacific.

its about as vast and remote as saying Florida will wash under

By Czarina on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 02:11 pm:

Not Calif,Patrick. Just that little chunk that ALREADY sits on the Pacific Plate. It is NOT part of the North american Plate. It has NO choice. It has to go with the plate it is located on.

Most of the Pacific plate is oceanic, meaning that it is a thinner,[albeit denser= higher in ferric content],and underwater,as opposed to the North american Plate,which is continental crust,[and thicker=higher in silicate].

That was tangential.Sorry.

The point is,that little chunck of Calif IS on another plate and will be going with it.

And,FYI........Florida has and will wash under again. The next time we have a good global warming[not in our lifetimes],glaciers will melt,[AGAIN], and all of the southern states will be underwater,[AGAIN].

Geology is BIG. It doesn't happen in our back yards,or in our lifespan. Geologic occurrences require millions of years to come full circle.

So get your panties out of a wad. It is happening.

Will it effect you? Probably not, unless you're unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place during a earthquake. Its been going on millions of years before us,and will most assuredly continue in our abscence.

Now there.

Isn't Buster a pretty bird?

By The Watcher on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 05:35 pm:

You can usually escape a hurricane.

But, there are no real meaningful warnings for earthquakes, volcanic eruption, or tornadoes.

By patrick on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 05:38 pm:

escape a hurricane?

if you ever visited the outter banks of NC, realizing the isolation and vulnerability...it doesnt take much to wash out a single bridge, leaving the entire island stranded.

Also, talk to any given island in the Carribean about escaping hurricanes. No where to go.

my cats are the best warning for earthquakes I have.

By The Watcher on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 05:58 pm:

You get plenty of warning from the weather services of where a hurricane might land.

Anybody who stays on the NC outter banks during a hurricane warning is a fool!

As for the Islands of the Carribean, some of them are pretty well prepared to ride out a storm. Although some of the poorer ones probably could use some help.

I'm glad you have your cats. How much of a warning do you get from them? Mine would sleep through anything. Unless it rang the doorbell. Then they would be under the bed.

By patrick on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 06:17 pm:

sometimes on the outter banks you dont have time. you have property you need to prepare, sometimes hurricanes develop over a 24 hour period or sooner.

they say cats "know" and act funny prior to an earthquake. ive never nailed it down to an early warning science.

By semillama on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 08:45 pm:

" i will more likely crawl up portlands ass."

I bet you will. It always comes down to the
    ASS.

By dave. on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 09:35 pm:

oceanic crusts are basaltic -- dense. continental masses are granitic -- high in silica and less dense. it's the oceanic crusts that that are the source of the tectonic plate motion; the continents float or drift along on the basaltic plates, kept on top by their relative bouyancy. los angeles may end up an island off the coast of oregon in a billion or so years but it will not ever suddenly sink. the san andreas is a strike-slip fault and generally moves in a horizontal direction as opposed to a normal fault, which involves one mass riding up over or plunging under another mass, or both.

capisce?

By Platypus on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 11:41 pm:

Thank you, Dave. I was just about to point that out.

You can already trace the movement of the plates through terranes. For example, there's an outcropping of rock in Point Arena, about 50 miles south of me, that corresponds with rocks foud only in LA. It's a transform fault. The pacific plate is just kinda sliding slowly by the north american plate, givin' it sweet lovin'. The most likely outcome is that the pacific plate will subduct under the north american plate (since it's been known to do that in the past). Which means that LA will end up in a convection current of hot, ooey gooey magma.

By Czarina on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:03 am:

Thats not exactly accurate :)

2 kinds of plates.
    Continental= thick,lightweight,high silica content

Oceanic-thin and heavy, high iron content

Both types of plates ride on the the plastic asthenosphere.Which has a viscosity similar to silly putty.

The energy to keep the asthenosphere semi-molten[thus plastic], is the radio active heat from the core of the earth.

So the plates just bob along at about 2 cms a year.

3 types of boundaries,which account for all geologic activity.

1. covergent 2 plates of continental crust come together,we have mountain building,like the Himilaya's,which are still growing.
    If continental crust converges with the thinner oceanic crust,the thinner crust is forced under the thicker crust,and eventually melts,and that matter has to go somewhere,so it pops up as volcano's[the Cascades are an example]

2. divergent this widens ocean basins,or if it happens on continental crust,it causes what are called rift valleys.[the atlantic ocean is actually becoming wider,and the Great African Rift Valley are examples] magma from the asthenosphere oozes up to fill the space the seperating plates leave.

3. transform plates move laterally

all types cause earthquakes

there is nothing magical or mysterious about it.

We are just bobbing along. The paths of the plates are easily mapped out from ancient times.

At one time,all of the land masses were joined.

They called it Pangea.Then it started breaking apart,again.This will continue untill the radio activity dies out,and there is no energy source left,to heat the asthenosphere,to move the plates.

Eventually,the remaining land masses will simply erode away,into a peneplain,and everything on earth will be covered by ocean.

But long before this will happen,the sun will die out,so life as we know it will already be in a major bind.

Sorry,geology is my thing.I love it.

In school,they called me a "tectonic buckaroo".

I earned that name.

Also,of interest,[but I don't know much about this], is that they are studying dogs and cats{?},in relation to their ability to predict major geologic events. They think that somehow the animals can sense the change in the electro magnetic fields. I have also heard of some animals that can sense impending heart attacks and the such.

By dave. on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:54 am:

certainly radioactivity adds heat but the real source of heat is simply the pressure. and, yeah, i spoke incorrectly. the convection currents in the mantle cause the movement of the crust. i was trying to say that the continental mass' movements are subject to the movements of the oceanic crust that they float upon. continental material never really sinks. not for long anyway. eventually, the himalayas will develop volcanos as the material that eventually gets pushed down will find it's way back up. mount stewart, in the north central cascades, is a batholith that became exposed through millions of years of erosion and uplift. at one point, it was several miles below the surface. today, it's 8,000 feet above sea level. the cascades are old compared to the himalayas. their vulcanism only a relatively recent development.

i love geology, too.

By Sorabji on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:21 am:

my vulcanism is a pretty recent development, too

By dave. on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:29 am:

thanks for the visual, mr. lahar. time for a diaper change and then it's off to bed for you.

By Czarina on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:31 am:

Geology is fascinating. I'm glad to have a compadre here.

The Cascades and the Himilayas are both convergent boundries,but they are different in type.

The Himilayas aren't volcanic. They are formed by two,[actually three] continental crust boundaries colliding. This forms a fold type of mountains. Like the rockies. They are still activily growing.

The Cascades are also from a convergent boundary,but in their case, it is the thin oceanic Pacific Plate being forced under the thick North American Plate. It is called a subduction zone. This is how volcano's are formed. The Cascades are still activilly growing/acting up,[St. Helens], as this subduction is still happening.

I was very fortunate. I was studying geology in Oregon,when Mount St. Helens errupted. I lived about 150 miles away.We had ash everywhere.

When things settled down,we got permission to go into the red zone,to collect samples.It was amazing,and kinda scary,too.I still have a little volcanic ash,hand blown little glass ring that I wore on a chain around my neck.It looked like a lifesaver,but it was from ash from St. Helens. But it broke.

By Czarina on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:36 am:

I think I would classify Sorabji's status as more of a meta-somatic type activity!

By dave. on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:54 am:

check this out. i have a theory that the continental material is actually extraterrestrial in origin. billions of years ago, when the planets were just barely formed, the earth trapped a very large, stony mass and it collided at low speeds, much like a snowball hitting a cement wall. since then, it's been getting munched up and spit out by tectonics.

at some point, one of the plates forming the himalayas will subduct. volcanoes will follow. the cascade volcanoes are characteristically non-basaltic. basalt typically flows from cracks in the ground eventually forming shield-type volcanoes like the hawaiian islands. the cascade volcanoes are puking up continental (extraterrestrial) material that has been subducted. someday, the same thing will occur in the himalayas.

By Czarina on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 02:13 am:

I think your right! It would answer alot of questions.

And,we heard it here,first!

By Antigone on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 03:40 am:

Hot fucking lava, people! Does everyone have a geology fetish around here?

By Cat on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 07:51 am:

I have more of a geography fetish myself.

By Euclid on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 11:05 am:

Some hot tasty geometry for me, thanks.

By Antigone on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 11:27 am:

Gerontology floats my boat, really.

By patrick on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:01 pm:

im with cat on the geography.

dave your theory has much in common to that of scientologists.

By Czarina on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:31 pm:

Hah! You're just jealous, cause Dave and I have a better fetish than yours.

Nanny, nanny poo poo.

By patrick on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:39 pm:

i don't have any fetish's ma'am. fetish's are compulsions of the derranged and disturbed.

By agatha on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:41 pm:

ha! patrick with no fetish. that's muthafuckin hilarious.

By patrick on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:50 pm:

whats are my fetish agatha?

that freak tupperware lady is here today and me and my colleagues around me are thinking of ways to dodge this event.

By agatha on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:59 pm:

tell her that i want a tupperware party.

you have too many fetishes to count, patrick.

By Czarina on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:04 pm:

"Fetishes are compulsions of the deranged and disturbed".

I like that.

By patrick on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:06 pm:

too many???

I want to know what YOU think they are.

spill!!!

i probably won't tell her anything, as I'
    ll probably be across the street getting ice cream or something. i clam up when people like here are in the office. When i was introduced to Chasity Bono or Betty Degeneres before, i got really clammy and left to go smoke.

I never want to seem like a celebrity letch.

By agatha on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:22 pm:

sex
    clothing
    photography
    drugs
    music

TELL HER! give her my email: agatha@fluffah.com

By semillama on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:24 pm:

Hot lovin', check it and see
    Got a fever of 10,000 and three...

By patrick on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:34 pm:

um, ok when does an interest become a fetish then?

and what human doesn't have a "fetish" for sex? christ you could say i have a "fetish" for mashed potatos and carne asada tacos.

not picking you agatha, just curious of your perceptions. the word "fetish" should be buried like the word "def".

you tell her I get uncomfortable with things like this.

By patrick on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 02:05 pm:

besides, dave would have my ass if i assisted in any way to facilitate such an event at your crib.

i know id kick his ass up and down if he did so.

By patrick on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 07:23 pm:

actually agatha, in all seriosuness, i was going to ask her if she travels. Im not sure if she takes her tupperware bit on the road or not. But there were 50+ people in the "party" and i didnt get a chance to ask if she travels.

By agatha on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 02:54 am:

bah.

By patrick on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 02:03 pm:

truly, she finished at 4:25 and by 5, when i had to leave, she was still with 5-6 customers filling out order forms. i didnt want to interrupt.

in fact it was so on my mind, i dreamed you and dave and cloe visited and i told you this very thing.
    strangely enough, the dream also merged another part of my reality. dave, my buddy chris, and I were talking about film cameras and lenses. Dave was tripping on Chris's cameras. Last night, in reality, Chris introduced me to the most amazing cinematographer i've ever met. this guy, in his workshop, has old crank cameras including one of Able Gance's three cameras used to shoot Napoleon. Another camera he has, because of some jewish lineage, is Leni Reifenstahl's box camera, used to make nazi propaganda films. Lenses used to shoot Ben Hur and other epic shit like that. The real deal.

anyway, i did have you in mind yesterday, realizing i was being a buthead. now back to swimming in the waters of my smelly ignorance.

By agatha on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 08:14 pm:

you're not ignorant. you just don't have any brain filter.

i know how you feel, because i'm brain-filter impaired myself.

thanks for thinking about me.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 12:06 pm:

back to the subject of natural disasters...

we had a few unsettling jolts last night.

4.2, 3.9 and 3.8 , back to back within 15 minutes or so.

There has been about 12 aftershocks, but none breaking the 3.0 threshold.

I was on the computer while simultaneously developing some film.

My apartment shakes like a leaf. Though Im sure we are on a mostly rock hill we still feel so god damn vulnerable.

These felt more side to side, than up and down. Side to side is more dramatic feeling, up and down is way more unsettling. Both pretty damn scary.

My habit, when this happens at home is to yell for my wife and head for the door. Of all the quakes, I have only made it to the door, with her, once. Its over by the time we realize whats happening and react. We do have out little "emergency kit" by the door. Containing things like water, change of clothes, flipflops, soap, toothbrush, can of soup, some cash, a joint, and some whisky.

Ironically, I was playing Duke Nuke Em's "LA Rumble" board in which Duke experiences quakes. Strange.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 01:22 pm:

im sorry i find all this shit interesting...maybe you don't.

sometimes im pretty confident i've run everyone off this board.

though i dont mind talkin to myself.

regarding those quakes, i found this fascinating

"The flurry of more than 45 quakes began Monday night and extended into the next day. As of Tuesday evening, there had been 15,714 aftershocks of the 6.7-magnitude Northridge quake of Jan. 17, 1994, according to a compilation by Matt Gerstenberger of the U.S. Geological Survey.

Of these, 11 have been magnitude 5.0 or greater, 57 have been 4.0 to 4.9, and 438 have been 3.0 to 3.9, Gerstenberger said."

Aftershocks from a quake 8 years back.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact