just frickin bizarre

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: just frickin bizarre
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 02:00 pm:

By droopy on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 02:55 pm:

hey, don't you judge that girl.

By agatha on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 03:05 pm:

this is one of the few cases where i think that woman should suffer some extreme penitence. sick callous fucker.

By patrick on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 03:42 pm:

GET A ROPE!!!!!

By eri on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 03:54 pm:

That is one of the worst things I think I have heard in a while. I mean, she could have helped him, but she did kill him. I think the murder charges are definately warranted. Why one earth would you leave someone there for days to slowly bleed to death and die of loss of blood and shock when they are clearly coherent in your car, and why on earth would you go park in your garage. I do think she should be up on murder charges and so should the people who helped move his body to the park. That is just plain sick.

By Spider on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 04:02 pm:

Shit.

Mike Heiskell, Mallard's attorney, called the woman's arrest on a murder warrant premature.

"I think this is overreaching on the part of the prosecution and the police, and in the end, I believe the law will shake out that this was simply a case of failure to stop and render aid," Heiskell said.

????????

Christ, where's a cleansing fire when you need one?

By Help me on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 04:11 pm:

help me! im stuck in the windshield of this website and cant get out..help!! help!!!

By Nate on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 04:13 pm:

oh please. she's a 25 year old woman. she's not responsible for her own actions.

really, if you think about it, she's the victim here. wasn't her fault some homeless guy ran out in front of her and stuck his head through her windscreen.

he was probably drunk. i can picture him running out in front of her car, slurring 'wash your winder for five dollars'. fucking men. fucking homeless.

By agatha on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 04:21 pm:

it's not going to work, nate.

I WON'T GO THERE.

By spunky on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 04:38 pm:

Drunk Homeless Idiot wanders in front of car and gets stuck head in windsheild.
    heh.

All I gotta say is DAMN

By droopy on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 05:03 pm:

i know that stretch of lancaster where the homeless shelter is. i know a woman who was driving alone late one night and got lost and ended up there. she was chased by a carload of men and shot at.

cobb park is way east down rosedale street. here's a journal entry from about 1984:

"Around that time Pat was suggesting that we fuck with the whores on Rosedale. Nick was all for it, he wanted another free handjob from the black girls. First though, we went to Crow's house...But Pat was set on going to Rosedale. It made me nervous, shit, being out there. I wasn't as prepared as last time. Last time I was drunk and I was driving. There's something about being the driver that calms you down, you know you can get the hell out of there when you want to, know your life's in your own hands. we must've gone up and down Rosedale about 5 times, but it felt like 500. I felt like I was going to be shot at by pimps at every corner. It drove me nuts when we talked to the whores."

By eri on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 05:30 pm:

So maybe, the drunk and stoned victim driver, was secretly a whore? Boy, this gets more fucked by the minute.

By semillama on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 06:26 pm:

The only way this would make sense is if it
    were a Bush daughter.

By LoneStranger on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 07:16 pm:

MMm...... Bush's daughter.....

mmmmm

LS

By Toulon99 on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 10:17 pm:

I just can't imagine the fact that she would go and check on him in the garage. After she had come down off her high.
    And how the hell was he trapped in the windshield? Don't you think he could have, some how, freed himself? I suppose not since he didn't. Bizarre.

Bitch needs to be impaled on a stake in.

By Eri on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 11:04 pm:

I have a piece of shit car. We could impale her on my winshield and check on her and let her slowly die. Just don't let the kids watch.

Maybe that was harsh, but damn.

By droopy on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 11:20 pm:

damn, i thought i'd canceled that post.

this was the lead story in the local news tonight - reporters live at her house and everything.

By semillama on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

By Nate on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:05 pm:

fucking canadians.

By J on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:38 pm:

Those poor kids,poor Sonya.Jesus,I hope they torture that pathetic bastard in prison.

By The Watcher on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 03:24 pm:

I think he is already tortured.

I don't think any physical harm could hurt him any more than the mental torture he is probably putting himself through.

He deserves it. But, I still pitty him. He should be placed in a mental health facility for the rest of his life. And, never allowed out again.

By spunky on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 03:31 pm:

"I sit before you now in an agony I could never convey. Even so, God has not seen it necessary that I carry shame with my burden," he told the court."

"There was no thought . . . there was an existence of motion, of colours. There was a stream of insanity.""

there are no words, simply no words.

By Ophelia on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 04:52 pm:

I am disgusted, sure. Do i think that they should be punished by death for their actions? no.

a part of me makes this arguement:

people are sick. all people are sick. anyone here could do those things. i know i could. its not a "oh, that guy is sick" sort of thing. its a disease essential to humanity.

last night i went to sleep instead of finishing my paper, even though I knew it wouldn't be any easier in the morning. i wasn't even tired. it was an avoidance tactic. so the girl with the guy on her windshield avoided the problem instead of dealing with it. the ethical implications of the situation have a small impact on the way in which an individual deals (or fails to deal) with it (this is a point that I am not sure about... but my point is that its the same psychological mechanism).

the greatest difference between good and bad people is in self-control.

the thing about the death penalty, is that while i can almost come to terms with the psychological aspects of what individuals do, i find the idea that we can take the life of an individual (no matter how fucked up that person is), clinically, for the good of the community, to be even more repulsive. to label the taking of life as an ethically sound practice, to endorse it as a society... that is SCARY to me. killing is not ethically okay. period.

By Ophelia on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 04:55 pm:

note: i am NOT arguing that they should not be held responsible for these action. please don't read it as that. i am just saying that, if we consider it a rational, ethical response to take a life in return, that decision would scare me more than the CLEARLY IMMORAL actions of these individuals.

By kazu on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:33 pm:

"anyone here could do those things"

Do you REALLY believe this?

"the greatest difference between good and bad people is in self-control"

Some people have no self-control. That doesn't make them bad people; but it can make them do bad things. Sometimes when we say people are "sick" it actually means that they are ill. Mentally ill and by extension, physically ill, because the brain (like the liver or heart) is a body part and it fails sometimes and people lose control.

Does that mean that we should excuse them? Absolutely not. But it does mean that we have to examine things carefully, otherwise, we end up creating situations which are far worse.

"that while i can almost come to terms with the psychological aspects of what individuals do"

No you can't. You're previous comments show that you have no idea of how complex human psychology is or what kind of circumstances shape human behavior. Does that mean that we should blame society? NO. Again, it means that SOME cases require extra care.

This is not just for the sake of the criminal; if we can learn to assess these situations critically, perhaps we can prevent SOME things from happening again.

My grandmother had a severe case of manic-depressive illness that was exacerbated my grandfather's mental abuse. She was not a bad person, but she did a horrible, bad thing. Now, I don't blame my grandfather for what she did, but there is a good chance that had he gotten her the help she needed she would not have drowned the little girl that would have been my aunt.

When my father was first diagnosed with mental illness he was accidentally diagnosed as schitzophrenic and given anti-psychotics until he saw a better doctor who properly diagnosed him with manic depressive illiness. Now, who was responsible for things he might have done while on the wrong medication. You can bet that, while not excusing him, his previous doctor would have heard about it. It wouldn't change the situation at hand, but it might prevent another.

By kazu on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:55 pm:

(I'm sorry if that was kind of harsh.)

Random, but related vent:

I hate when people think I am unable to look critically at these kinds of issues because of how close it is to me. Yes, I am severly biased. But I am reluctant to ever label a criminal mentally ill based on media descriptions alone. And, If there is one thing that makes me angrier than when people refuse to acknowledge that mental illness can diminish people's capacity, it's when people (lawyers, criminals) use it unfairly.

I don't know how often that really happens. Maybe I just watch too much television.

By eri on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:29 pm:

Actually Kazu, I worry about the same thing, that mental illness is used as an excuse in a courtroom too often when it isn't the case or cause. It scares me.

I do think that those cases need to be looked at carefully. But even I have been questioning my view on the death penalty lately. I just don't have any good answers. This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately. But I don't think that I have the right to ask for the life or to take the life of another person. Am I capable of doing that? Sure I am, but that doesn't mean it is the right thing to do.

But this is a different case, that I think is particularly twisted. I won't make any judgements on the people involved, though, simply because I don't have all of the facts and it isn't my job to do that. It's sad and the whole situation is fucked up.

By Ophelia on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:34 pm:

okay.

i know that i have a very limited understanding of the complexities of psychology.

i do understand the concept of a psychological disease. the concept. but (and this is something i've stuggled with for a long time) i have a hard time fully believing in it. why is this? i think it has a lot to do with the philosophy of mind over matter (as opposed to mind AS matter) that was drilled into me as a kid. so, on a basic level (and you are correct to point out that i have failed to justify this belief through logic, and i am willing to accept that perhaps it cannot be justified through logic), the answer to your question is yes, i do believe this. maybe not entirely, but, as much as i can believe something without a logical explanation behind it, i believe in mind over matter.

scientifically this may be impossible.

i am trying to come to terms with the concept of a chemical imbalance that leads to social behaviors. i can understand the biological part of it. it's just that it still blows my mind to think that we have no control over our actions. in some core part of my morality system, humans must be able to control our own actions.

i guess what is key to these cases is that controlling our actions is harder for some people than for others, because of a chemical inequality? well okay. but i guess i still think that anyone is capable of failing to surpress chemical impulses, or of surpressing them. maybe that statement is totally wrong. maybe. i dont know. what i do know is that its central to how i currently view and judge the world, and therefore, yes, i believe it.

its not a static belief, though.
    thank you for challenging it, it makes me think.

By The Watcher on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:50 pm:

Logically and morally I don't believe in the death penalty.

Emotionally there are times when I hear of certain crimes where I think - "let me be the one to pull the plug, push the button, squeeze the trigger, etc.". But, they are usually of the most horrendous sort.

By kazu on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:51 pm:

"but i guess i still think that anyone is capable of failing to surpress chemical impulses, or of surpressing them"

capable of failing to surpress?

If you mean that people are capable of supressing chemical impulses, that is not only wrong, but utter horseshit. Our brains are complicated entities that no one understands entirely.

And what do you mean by "chemical impulses"? We don't have chemical "impulses" sometimes and not others. Everything is connected...mind and body, no division. The mind is ALWAYS working, processing info, controlling/regulating body functions. Mind/body work as a team, always.

Try using your mind to control your circulation system. Right now. See, you can't do it. Same for same with neurotransmitters. Would you tell a cancer patient to just control that mass of cells? No. It is the same thing at least to the extent that we can't access our neurotransmitters the way that we can alter our mood slightly just be thinking about something different.

Now that doesn't mean that we aren't capable of doing anything to affect our mind's processes, it just means that there are some things too powerful for us to control.

I think most schitzophrenics would gladly control those voices if they could.

Go drop a hit of strong, strong acid and then tell me how easy it is to control the mind when if it's been chemically altered. Or maybe you should take a class in neuropysychology.

By kazu on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:57 pm:

Actually, does anyone have any good information on guru-types who have been able to alter biolgical functions through meditation?

There is also some great information on how neuroscience is figuring out how "plastic" the brain really is, that it is not on some established developmental trajectory, but it is actually shaped by social interaction, that is, all the millions of signals that the brain takes in over a lifetime.

That's me butchering it. I'll try to find a reference.

By The Watcher on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 07:05 pm:

There are times when I find psycology/psychiatry nothing but a bunch of BS.

There are few if any actual physical scientifficaly proven tests to confirm what they claim. Generally they can't prove a chemical imbalance in the brain because it can't be measured while the patien is alive. And, after death it's usually impossible to measure it then too.

But, I also can recognize a severly mentally ill person on the streets when I see one.

By Ophelia on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 07:15 pm:

okay, i shouldn't have used that term. in that statement i wasn't refering to chemical impulses. i picked the wrong words. what i was trying to express was something about how
    we can choose or not choose to act on impulses. the chemical bit was my attempt to acknowledge that our impulses (not in the electrical sense but in the broader meaning) are influenced by chemicals. or something like that. i dont know how to phrase it becasue i dont know what the hell i'm talking about and i'll just say something else i dont mean if i try to be more specific.

as you say, i probably should take a class in neuropsychology. then i would have a better understanding, and also the vocabulary to express myself. i dont claim know much about this subject. i'm just trying to express (at the same time as i try to figure out) what the implications of the belief system i grew up with are.

also, i feel about 5 years old right now. i'm going to stop talking about stuff i dont understand.

By kazu on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 07:32 pm:

Don't do that. The reason why I bother saying any of this is because I do think you are smart and thoughtful and curious. A lot of people I just leave to stew in their own ignorance.

I wasn't being mean, I was just trying to get the point across. I'm sorry if I made you feel bad.

Love,
    Kazu

By semilllama on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 07:35 pm:

I just want to let everyone know that a short curly white hair sprouted out of Kazu's head because of this whole conversation.

If this keeps up, she'll have a nice tight white vanilla 'fro.

By Ophelia on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 08:26 pm:

it's okay. i am just operating on very little sleep and i was getting frustrated with my inability to express myself. i also had to leave this to go to dinner. so yeah, maybe i will do better at a conversation on this level when i am less generally stressed out.

have a good night. peace.

By TBone on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:11 pm:

That must have been terrible, kazu, to have something like that happen so close to you.
    I had a manic-depressive grandmother as well. I never once saw her standing. She lived well into my childhood and I never saw her leave that recliner.
    Seems like I'm surrounded by manic-depressives. One of my best friends is bipolar. I know several others as well.
    Every last one of them has attempted suicide at least once.

By wisper on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:43 pm:

that crazy guy, he's so ..... eloquent.
    When i got to the 'i lied' part, i almost laughed. I'm so used to that sort of person being all growling and screaming about angels. That guy's witty.

Ophelia, you don't need to worry about the morals of the death penalty for him. He won't be killed here.
    not legally, anyway.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact