A STRANGE LIFE

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: A STRANGE LIFE
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Raphael on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 05:00 pm:

This article from NYTimes.com has been sent to you by . . . .

Handler, Creator of Barbie Doll, Dies

April 28, 2002

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 12:01 p.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (AP)-- Ruth Handler, who created Barbie, the world's most popular doll, died Saturday. She was 85.

Handler, who also co-founded the Mattel toy company, died at Century City Hospital, a hospital spokesperson said without releasing details. Her husband, Elliott, told the
    Los Angeles Times that his wife died of complications from colon surgery she underwent about three months ago.

Since Handler's creation, named for her daughter Barbara, was introduced in 1959 it has become an American icon and a touchstone of cultural politics.

The impossibly well-endowed doll -- her original figure would be about 39-18-33 if she were human -- has infuriated feminists, inspired artists and intrigued academics around the world. Barbie even was placed in the official ``America's Time Capsule'' buried in 1976.

The original blue-eyed, blonde fashion model has morphed over the decades into a variety of ethnic looks and has had many careers, from astronaut to veterinarian.

More than 1 billion have been sold in 150 countries.

``My whole philosophy of Barbie was that through the doll, the little girl could be anything she wanted to be,'' Handler wrote in a 1994 autobiography. ``Barbie always represented
    the fact that a woman has choices.''

``Over and over I've had it said to me by women,'' Handler told The Associated Press in 1994. ``She was much more than a doll for them. She was part of them.''

Barbie's birth came at a time when the usual doll was a baby. Handler decided to create a more mature toy after noticing that her daughter liked to play with paper cutout dolls of teen-agers and career women.

The male ad executives at Mattel were unimpressed with the idea, but several years later Handler got the doll into production.

The 11 1/2-inch-tall plastic toy was a fresh-faced
    Midwesterner with a ponytail and a black-and-white striped swimsuit. Barbie debuted at the American Toy Fair in New York City in 1959. It was an instant hit and in its first year 351,000 dolls were sold at $3 each.

Barbie went on to make a fortune for Mattel, which sold not only versions of the doll but an expanding number of outfits and accessories, not to mention Barbie's boyfriend Ken, named for Handler's son; her little sister, Skipper, and pals Midge and Christie.

Later dolls were named for Handler's grandchildren.

Handler was born Ruth Mosko, the youngest of 10 children of Polish immigrants who settled in Denver. She moved to Southern California at 19, later marrying her high school boyfriend and studying industrial design.

Eventually the Handlers began making and selling plastic bowls, mirrors and other housewares. The garage business boomed and was followed in the 1940s by a picture frame company. Mattel grew out of a sideline business making dollhouse furniture from the frame scraps. The company had early successes with a child-sized ukulele and the Burp
    gun, cap pistol.

Things went downhill in the 1970s, however. Mattel began to diversify away from toys and the Handlers were forced out of the company. In 1978, Handler was indicted for mail fraud and false reporting to the Securities and Exchange Commission. She pleaded no contest, was fined $57,000 and sentenced to 2,500 hours of community service.

Handler, who struggled with breast cancer and had a mastectomy in 1970, later blamed her illness, saying it made her unfocused about business concerns.

She began to campaign for cancer awareness. The disease also prompted her second career. Unable to find a decent prosthetic breast, Handler created her own, called Nearly Me, and formed a company to market it. She fitted Betty Ford for one after the former first lady had a mastectomy.
    The company got more than $1 million in sales and was sold in 1991.

By Daniel ssss on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 07:51 pm:

So Ken was actually Barbie's brother....

By Grrrgle on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 11:02 pm:

Innocent enough, that, what with the revelations about "Magic Earring Ken" in the 80's. He didn't wear pastel colors because he was a fan of Miami Vice, you know...

By eri on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 08:43 am:

At least we know Midge and Christie weren't related. I guess Barbie is either a lesbian or she keeps it in the family. I will look at my children's play in a whole new light.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact