India and Pakistan

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: India and Pakistan
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 10:08 am:

Scary

Key Snippets:
    Imminence of War: War seems imminent in South Asia going by current indicators. Short of a formal declaration of war, India seems determined and poised to take on directly by the horns, the strategic and military provocations thrown against her by Pakistan.

The imminence of war has also been spurred by the dynamics of Indian public opinion which is pressurising the Government of India to take the war option to put an end to an incessant campaign of proxy war launched by Pakistan.

That Pakistan has to be dealt with militarily, today, enjoys bi-partisan political support. This once again has been brought about by the force of Indian public opinion .....
    India therefore has to rely on its own military strengths and capabilities to impose restraint on Pakistan, by inflicting irreparable damage, irrespective of costs. In short, India’s public opinion today has reached a ‘zero tolerance’ level of Pakistan’s proxy war. It has become over critical of its own Government of having over-relied on the United States to restrain the terrorist-state of Pakistan.
    . If India’s overall military aim is to end the Pakistan proxy war and its enlargement, it should incorporate the following major military components:

* Destruction or crippling of Pakistan’s war waging capabilities.

* Destruction of Pakistan’s defence production infra-structure.

* Destruction of facilities of terrorists organizations HQs and their leadership.

* Accord priority to destruction of Pakistan's economic and communications infrastructure.
    There, of course is much more, but I will let you read it. Please bear in mind, this is just an opinion paper written by a journalist, but it does show at leaste some of the mind set in India.

By spunky on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 01:56 pm:

By spunky on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 01:59 pm:

oops, Pakistan, not India

By patrick on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 02:20 pm:

no. there's a double standard going on here. there were known al Qaida in Afghanistan supported by the Taliban. We bombed. There are known al Qaida in Pakistan supported (via inaction) by Musharraf in the northern "tribal" provinces and now in Kashmir (which is not news, its clear those same militants are up to the same shit in Kashmir with the same brand of fundamentalism). Why aren't we bombing Pakistan where we suspect al Qaida is located? We subjected Afghanistan to it, why not Pakistan? The govn't is reportedly an "ally", who has "cooperated" with the US, a "partner" in the war on terrorism, but now al Qaida is supposedly festering in the Northern "no mans" land of Pakistan. fuck it, its no mans land right?

However if we started bombing, Pakistan would erupt with internal strife, the militants would use that to further agitate hostilities with India and next thing you know Pakistan is destroyed and potentially India as well.

Its a fucking complicated powder keg in my assessment, i dont think any wars are going to break out anytime soon. I think its obvious al Qaida would love to agitate it to full scale war to draw attention off the rest of Pakistan, but then again, would that cause a distraction for us to move into northern Pakistan? Who knows. Then that could put our troops in potential nuclear harms way.

By spunky on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 02:35 pm:

Probably not a war, but the whole Pakistan thing was fucked up to begin with.
    But, Double standards abound with the US relations with other countries.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 03:29 pm:

quick trace, what caused that c-130 to crash in Afghanistan in the last few hours?

By spunky on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 03:40 pm:

bad maintenance.
    Last month, a wing just "fell off" a plane that they just repaired the fuel line on....
    That, of course is just speculation. But they have said that the turn around time for these planes does not allow for adequet repair

By spunky on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 04:10 pm:

watch and see if the plane came out of Ramstein.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact