Homeland Security

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Homeland Security
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Reese on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 10:46 am:

Here, ladies and gentlemen, is your plans for our exciting new police state!
    We will call the new regime the Department of Homeland Security.
    With an estimated 169,000 employees, the new agency would be second only to the Defense Department in terms of size.
    The White House estimated the new agency's budget at $37 billion, which the administration says would be funded by savings achieved by eliminating redundancies among current agencies.
    Congressional leaders in both parties applauded Bush's plan to create a Department of Homeland Security and vowed quick legislative action to make it happen.

By Doogie Schnauzer PhD on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 11:48 am:

Spunky, choose a name and stick with it. I gotta keep a scorecard here to keep everybody straight.

By droopy on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 12:18 pm:

but spunky...we'll DIE without homeland security!

By Platypus on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 10:00 pm:

Don't forget to be constantly vigilant, and to unhesitantly report suspected terrorists, such as my landlady.

By Nate on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 10:45 pm:

or your parents.

especially if they fuck up your sister's hair.

By I Spy on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 04:09 pm:

Operation TIPS, administered by the U.S. Department of Justice and developed in partnership with several other federal agencies, is one of the five component programs of the Citizen Corps. Operation TIPS will be a national system for reporting suspicious, and potentially terrorist-related activity. The program will involve the millions of American workers who, in the daily course of their work, are in a unique position to see potentially unusual or suspicious activity in public places.

The Department of Justice is discussing participation with several industry groups whose workers are ideally suited to help in the anti-terrorism effort because their routines allow them to recognize unusual events and have expressed a desire for a mechanism to report these events to authorities.

These workers will use their common sense and knowledge of their work environment to identify suspicious or unusual activity. This program offers a way for these workers to report what they see in public areas and along transportation routes.

All it will take to volunteer is a telephone or access to the Internet as tips can be reported on the toll-free hotline or online. Information received will be entered into the national database and referred electronically to a point of contact in each state as appropriate. This is not a national 911 center, and callers are expected to dial 911 for emergency local response.

Industries that are interested in participating in this program will be given printed guidance material, flyers and brochures, about the program and how to contact the Operation TIPS reporting center. This information can be distributed to workers or posted in common work areas. Operation TIPS is scheduled to be launched in late summer or early fall 2002. The goal of the program is to establish a reliable and comprehensive national system for reporting suspicious, and potentially terrorist-related, activity. By establishing one central reporting center, information from several different industries can be maintained in a single database. Operation TIPS will be phased in across the country to enable the system to build its capacity to receive an increasing volume of tips.

The Neighborhood Watch Program is a highly successful effort which has been in existence for some thirty years in cities across America. It provides a unique infrastructure that brings together local officials, law enforcement and citizens for the protection of communities.
    In cities around the country, neighbors for three decades have banded together to create these "watch" programs. They understand that the active participation of neighborhood residents is a critical element in community safety - not through vigilantism, but simply through a willingness to look out for suspicious activity in their neighborhood, and report that activity to the police and to each other. In doing so, residents take a major step toward reclaiming high-crime neighborhoods, as well as making people in all areas of a city or town feel more secure and less fearful.

In the aftermath of September 11, 2001, the need for strengthening and securing our communities has become even more critical. President Bush has announced that, with the help of the National Sheriffs' Association, the Neighborhood Watch Program will be taking on a new significance. Community residents will be provided with information which will enable them to recognize signs of potential terrorist activity, and to know how to report that activity, making these residents a critical element in the detection, prevention and disruption of terrorism.

We will be publishing information which will assist citizens in organizing Neighborhood Watch Programs, knowing what to look for in the community, and understanding what to do if they observe suspicious activity. Under the umbrella of the newly-created Citizen Preparedness Councils, the Neighborhood Watch Programs will help to distribute useful information circulated by the Councils and other agencies.

Many neighborhoods already have Neighborhood Watch programs, which are vibrant and effective. For those that do not, this new initiative may provide the incentive for them to participate in an important new effort on behalf of their friends and neighbors, as well as the nation as a whole.

By Nate on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:30 pm:

hey, if anyone with a badge asks about me, be sure to mention that i SMOKE MARIJUANA.

oh, and that my bong is the skull of a christian patriot and i sell opium to the chinese and i hate your heathen soul, yada yada yada.

that's my tip for you. print my phonenumber in a fortune cookie.

horseshit.

By patrick on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 01:05 pm:

Neighborhood Watches occur OUTSIDE of the home.

Not the cable guy, not the refrigerator repairman, not the cleaning lady, not the postman.

Even staunch conservative Dick Armey disagrees with this 'horseshit'.

Stop dicking with my rights to privacy before its taken to the streets.

PS I keep my 'works' above my stove.

By Nate on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 03:18 pm:

"Even staunch conservative Dick Armey disagrees with this 'horseshit'."

as any real conservative would. dumbass.

By patrick on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 03:42 pm:

spare me your textbook definitions, i know this. But Dick Armey is usually a staunch ally of anything Dubyah does, this is the relavence.

By Nate on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 04:28 pm:

dubyah isn't a conservative. conservatives everywhere are uncomfortable with the way dubyah is growing the government (like a dem.) conservatives everywhere are uncomfortable with the way dubyah is pissing on the constitution (like a dem.)

By spunky on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 04:38 pm:

this thread is getting interesting.
    I saw on CNN today that congress is considering granting more power to the Military to "police" the US.
    I can tell you that the military is not comfortable with that idea. To quote an unnamed source "The US Military is trained to fight and kill, not investigate and arrest".

By patrick on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 05:04 pm:

yes yes nate, i know he's not a conservative conservative but his campaign was launched under "compassionate conservatism" was it not?

i realize without any doubt that true conservatives are leary of what he and ashcroft are doing. Its that kind of action that spawns the likes of Timothy McVeigh and the sterotypical Montanaian out back madmad unibomber.

By Antigone on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 05:34 pm:

Nate, you don't really think that democrats are the only ones who piss on the constitution, do you? Republicans and conservatives do it just as happily if it serves their purposes.

By Nate on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 08:08 pm:

republicans, yes. conservatives, no.

"conservatives everywhere are uncomfortable with the way dubyah is pissing on the constitution "

dubyah is a republican. dumbass.

his campaign was launched under all sorts of things.

By Antigone on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 08:30 pm:

Please give me an example of a conservative who does not piss on the constitution so I can perform a random urine test.

By Nate on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 08:45 pm:

by definition, a conservative doesn't piss on the constitution.

do you believe in pro-choice catholics?

By spunky on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 12:05 am:

Mr Webster:
    Main Entry: 1con·ser·va·tive
    Pronunciation: k&n-'s&r-v&-tiv
    Function: adjective
    Date: 14th century
    1 : PRESERVATIVE
    2 a : of or relating to a philosophy of conservatism b capitalized : of or constituting a political party professing the principles of conservatism : as (1) : of or constituting a party of the United Kingdom advocating support of established institutions (2) : PROGRESSIVE CONSERVATIVE
    3 a : tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions : TRADITIONAL b : marked by moderation or caution <a conservative estimate> c : marked by or relating to traditional norms of taste, elegance, style, or manners <a conservative suit>
    4 : of or relating to Conservative Judaism
    - con·ser·va·tive·ly adverb
    - con·ser·va·tive·ness noun
    Main Entry: con·ser·va·tism
    Pronunciation: k&n-'s&r-v&-"ti-z&m
    Function: noun
    Date: 1835
    1 capitalized a : the principles and policies of a Conservative party b : the Conservative party
    2 a : disposition in politics to preserve what is established b : a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change
    3 : the tendency to prefer an existing or traditional situation to change

Liberal:
    Main Entry: 2liberal
    Date: 1820
    : a person who is liberal: as a : one who is open-minded or not strict in the observance of orthodox, traditional, or established forms or ways b capitalized : a member or supporter of a liberal political party c : an advocate or adherent of liberalism especially in individual rights
    Main Entry: lib·er·al·ism
    Pronunciation: 'li-b(&-)r&-"li-z&m
    Date: 1819
    1 : the quality or state of being liberal
    2 a often capitalized : a movement in modern Protestantism emphasizing intellectual liberty and the spiritual and ethical content of Christianity b : a theory in economics emphasizing individual freedom from restraint and usually based on free competition, the self-regulating market, and the gold standard c : a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of the human race, and the autonomy of the individual and standing for the protection of political and civil liberties d capitalized : the principles and policies of a Liberal party

Both have merit.
    But, in my opinion, the Conservative view is easier in a federal republic with a strong democratic tradition such as ours.
    By definition, too many liberals will keep the country from a focused direction.

By dave. on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 12:08 am:

jesus

By dvae. on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 12:08 am:

stupid is easy. no argument.

By dave. on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 12:10 am:

death is inevitable. give up, you're doomed.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 11:50 am:

liberalism made this country.

the Constitution wasnt born out of conservatism.

at least in terms of those definitons.

however theres so much historical context of those two words in American history. Much more complex than this.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 11:51 am:

Trace, the master of cut 'n' paste!

Well, Nate, that's just the response I expected: argument by ignorance, defining the world to fit your biases.

And I don't have to believe in pro-choice Catholics. I know several.

Do you believe in pot smoking anarchist conservatives?

By spunky on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 12:03 pm:

us conservatives are necessary to keep you liberal freaks in check.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 12:06 pm:

You talkin' to me? I'm not a liberal.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 12:12 pm:

trace you don't even understand the two words outside of websters.

im not a liberal either.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 12:57 pm:

???
    I quoted from Webster's so that you could not argue with me about the definition....

What do you subscribe yourself to, then?

By patrick on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 01:24 pm:

trace theres definitions, but theres historical context and applications.

liberalism is just not what you know here within the confines of the US political map.

i subscribe to Aperture, Maxim (toilet reading), Bazaar, W, Wallpaper and Food and Wine.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 01:53 pm:

I liked Maxim's latest issue. I considered buying it. Jeri Ryan looked awesome on the cover.

By pez on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 02:10 pm:

i was talking to caffiene last night and apparently there is a company that has figured out how to aerosolize raver drugs. (i can't remember the name of the specific drug, sue me) it's some sort of hallucinogen.

but anyway, the police or the national guard or whoever would spray this drug over protesters, making them all happy hallucinating high, easy to round up. some protesters may be left dead, because gas masks provide no protection against aerosol drugs.

scary.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 02:16 pm:

sounds like anarchist propaganda to me.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 02:37 pm:

By pez on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 04:36 pm:

well, rave drugs do kill people on occasion.

the owner of the corporation has been quoted that he wants a magic dust that will put everyone to sleep.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 05:20 pm:

oh shit call batman.

By Pez on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 07:16 pm:

yes, call batman.

unfortunately, batman is a cartoon character and doesn't defend against anything more than paper villains.

call batman because it's all too easy to be a passive observer.

(insert idealistic soapbox speech here)

we all complain and complain and complain, but what do we actually DO?

By agatha on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 07:19 pm:

caffeine? that's not a real name! tell your friend i'm on to his/her "little name secret".

By agatha on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 07:21 pm:

that was mean, i'm sorry. but really, caffeine?

By Nate on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 08:21 pm:

christ, agatha, if that's what you think mean is i can't even begin to imagine what you think of me.

pez, with your naive misconceptions, this may really freak you out. but, you have to know: batman

sorry.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 10:00 pm:

"we all complain and complain and complain, but what do we actually DO?"

Uhhhh....complain?

By pez on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 10:05 pm:

wtf?

caffeine is one of her names. the most frequent one without the addition of face paint. she also goes by chlorine enema jones (a clown).

pepto dizmal

By Pug on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 09:42 am:

www.infowars.com

By semillama on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 10:24 am:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact