US in BIG trouble

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: US in BIG trouble
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 09:34 am:

It seems we just might be in for quite a bumpy financial ride.
    Thanks to Enron, MCI and Arthur Anderson, the NYSE is now down to 9126.82, and NASDAQ is at 1423.99.
    How low will it go?

By Nate on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 11:05 am:

the dow has dropped under 9000.

By Antigone on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 12:52 pm:

Maybe we'll have some effective reforms from the SEC now.

By Antigone on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 12:54 pm:

Business needs a good ass fuckin' so it'll shape up.

By spunky on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 04:11 pm:

Stocks Sink, Dow Falls Below 8,000

In late afternoon trading Friday, the blue-chip Dow Jones industrial average was down 415 points at 7,994 -- well below the 8,235-point level where it closed on Sept. 21.

ERI-You owe me a beer. I had bet that it would fall below 8 by the end of the week.

By eri on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 04:54 pm:

You know where the beer is. But you said it would drop before the end of the week. I said it would drop below 8,000 within the next 2 days, and we had this discussion 2 nights ago!!!!!!! So really I won the bet!

By Nate on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:34 pm:

i don't know where the beer is.

whiskey. gin. no beer.

whiskey it is.

both of you twats won. yippie ki yi.

the bottom line suffers. i'll suffer your bottom line. bottom. bottom.

i make from my bottom.

creation is the human spirit.

By spunky on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:47 pm:

loose much? give it some time. Investments are not for now, they are for later.
    Unless it was in Enron, WorldCom or OmniMedia....

By spunky on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:51 pm:

By the way, I was watching the NYSE.COM site at the ending bell. At 3:58 est it was at 7,994.
    They closed the market at 4:00 est. Then it rose back up AFTER THE BELL to the current amount of 8,019.26. Maybe they were still processing for 20 minutes. Maybe, but I wonder if someone did not buy a bunch at the end to get it above 8k?

By Nate on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:59 pm:

i've lost about 50% of my retirement. i'm not worried. i'm not retiring for a long time.

i've gained a lot in my shorter term investments.

money is an object. money is no object.

By J on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 10:19 am:

I've lost alot and I'm not young,this has been the worst year of my life,my nerves are shot.

By Nate on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 02:54 pm:

my parents are in the same boat, J. except I think they're probably older than you.

just hold. we'll be back and cranking in a year and a half.

you guys have real estate, too, right? real estate is solid.

By J on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 03:49 pm:

No,we sold our rental house a couple of years ago,but I'm planning on paying my brother his half and keeping my mothers townhouse.

By patrick on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 01:07 pm:

home sales dropped 3% last month no?

By Daniel ssss on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 12:51 am:

My FUTURE is a hellava lot closer to my NOW than most of you, and I've lost about half of my networth if you just consider the market investments. The rest, well, there's not much of worth. I'm worth less now.

Just an old Mazda, too many books, a three storey log lodge in the woods, a kick ass snow blower, and a tractor. Oh yeah, power washer, two tablesaws, and a rototiller. You know, basic survival tools.

Some might say I'm worth-less. But I am wealthy beyond my imagination nonetheless. It's all funny money anyway and I won't live long enough to deprive my offspring of any use of it. Whatever will be left.

Now is the time to buy buy buy. If you have the money, invest it now. Buy utilities and buy banks. Then buy buy buy real estate if there's something left to play with. And if you are worried about everything falling apart, then max your credit cards and keeping applying for more credit and don't look back and have no remorse.

The key, though, is to then give it all away to someone less fortunate, all of it, every last dime, every last suv, every last fur coat. Give it all away.

Then, wearing heavy work boots, walk quietly into the Gulf of Mexico at sunset, knowing you've done your best. Keep walking.

By dave. on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 01:00 am:

i miss daniel ssssss

By J on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 03:17 am:

That's exactly what my husband say's Daniel ssssss,I think you might have something with the utilities,either way I'm still in for the long haul,I'd be crazy to bail out now.My mother left me some Moterola stocks and Compaq stock that weren't worth a crap before all this.I got a report that Compaq is part of Hewlett Packard now,and it's still not good.At least my house will be paid off in 3 years and we are in a good area.I'd rather live out in the woods like Daniel,I loved going back to W.V.,there was a highway sign on the exit to the town my cousin live in that said home of Jerry West (basketball) and the Sat. I left,I stopped to see all my cousins and aunt Thelma,they were having a hot dog sale at church,and I was home.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 02:01 pm:

On a lighter note, when I type in
    http://www.wallstreet.com, this is the page that gets displayed:
    Problem Report
    Access denied to the system by SmartFilter, while attempting to retrieve the URL.

Message ID
    SMARTFILTER_DENIED Secure Computing

Problem Description
    Your system was configured to deny access to this URL.

Problem Cause
    The request was denied, as specified in the SmartFilter Content Filter configuration. The content category reported is gambling.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 02:10 pm:

By J on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 04:16 pm:

The market sure picked up today.

By spunky on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 04:20 pm:

Don't let it fool you. If I had some money for investment right now, I would have bought some stock yesterday, due to the low prices. It will drop again.

By spunky on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 04:20 pm:

Don't let it fool you. If I had some money for investment right now, I would have bought some stock yesterday, due to the low prices. It will drop again.

By Daniel ssss on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 12:12 am:

I simply let someone else do my gambling for me. If there had been day trading years ago when I was more than dabbling, I would no doubt be dead now. As it was, I didn't touch the stock market from 1979 or 80 til June 1995. The rest, they say, is history. I gambled on property (real estate) for those years. And lost my marriage in the end. Six years later I was back in mutual funds, still am, and never touch or tinker with them, and have some sane person other than me deal with them.

I suppose IF I retire, there won't be enough anyway. Live on faith, believe in God not the almighty dollar, but tie your camel securely. Brace yourself, my crystal ball (cracked though it be) says it ain't over yet. Double tie that camel.

Thanks Dave for missing me.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact