patriot day

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: patriot day
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Platypus on Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 09:35 pm:

I wonder if this is our equivalent of Canada Day? I suppose not.

`(b) PROCLAMATION- The President is requested to issue each year a proclamation calling on--

`(1) State and local governments and the people of the United States to observe Patriot Day with appropriate programs and activities;

`(2) all departments, agencies, and instrumentalities of the United States and interested organizations and individuals to display the flag of the United States at halfstaff on Patriot Day in honor of the individuals who lost their lives as a result of the terrorist attacks against the United States that occurred on September 11, 2001; and

`(3) the people of the United States to observe a moment of silence on Patriot Day in honor of the individuals who lost their lives as a result of the terrorist attacks against the United States that occurred on September 11, 2001.'.

Hm.

By kazoointoit on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:05 am:

We already have Patriot's Day in Massachusetts and in Maine. I hope no one gets confused. And worse, I hope no one in Concord (pronounced Cancahd) thinks that anyone is stealing their thunder:

Yes, they take their Patriots Day seriously in Concord. On Patriots Day, troops of Minutemen assemble at dawn in Concord and surrounding towns to recreate the "line of march" to the Old North Bridge, Emerson's "rude bridge," where they face off in a gunbattle with a troop of Redcoats.

By dave. on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:12 am:

bravo! nice politicking, mr. president. what politician would dare oppose that? instant cred points with the plebs plus, we get another day off. nicely done.

By Platypus on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:15 am:

I'm not sure that it will be a holiday. I think we just observe a moment of silence or something.

By dave. on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:31 am:

what?! no day off? what an asshole.

By kazoointoit on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:35 am:

I still think Cancahd's gonna be pissed. There is a lot of old money and Democrats in that town. Maybe Ted Kennedy will oppose it. No, probably not. It reminds me...Wasn't there one or several Dr, Suess and/or other such books in which the town's mayor, DECLARES THIS DAY A HOLIDAY and all is good with the world?

I don't know whether that makes me want to laugh or cry.

By Czarina on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 02:08 am:

Hmmm,I'm not dressin up in my Minuetman outfit,and gettin up at dawn,if its not a paid holiday.

By patrick on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:04 pm:

*shakes head*

out of hand.....

By spunky on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:24 pm:

Yes, out of hand to take a moment a year later to remember 3 thousand who died in one instant.
    You betcha.

By semillama on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:25 pm:

My favorite holiday used to be 10-cent Cookie
    day at Econofoods, every teusday.

those were the good ol' days.

In relation to this, I'm almost done reading
    Ted Rall's "To Afghanistan and Back" which is
    an account of his experience as a journalist in
    Afghanistan last winter. Eye-opening to say
    the least, and if we were real patriots, it would
    be required reading. It certainly demonstrated
    to me how supremely fucked up everything is
    that is connected to September 11, from
    falling towers in NYC to carpet bombing
    Afghan towns, to charging $1 an egg in a
    country where the monthly wage is a $1.40.

By Platypus on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:40 pm:

No spunkster, out of hand to waste my tax money to pay people to come up with the idea. We all know that every bleeding heart in this great country of ours would have established some kind of vigil.

Heck, I'll bet most of us will wake up on that morning and think for a moment for years to come, myself included.

This country spends a lot of time making pointless legislature, like sending 90th birthday greetings to Ronald Reagen (search the Thomas site if you don't believe me).

We already have Memorial Day, Veterans Day, etc...do we really need yet another excuse not to deliver the mail?

By patrick on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:48 pm:

spunk i dont need a nationally declared day to remember or mourn.

i do it my way. to think i do it any less than you is bullshit. (i know you like to perceive me as unpatriotic.)

this is simply bait for the monkeys. like you. eat it up.

If we do get it, and the subsequent day off, you can bet i'll be spending it relaxing like a motherfucker.

By Platypus on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:50 pm:

It passed--follow the link, people.

By dave. on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 01:46 pm:

definitely the best reacharound this administration has given the nation so far.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact