TooGood

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: TooGood
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 10:43 am:

Has anyone seen the video of Martha Toogood supposedly beating her child?
    It is here.

Do me a favor and watch it, then please let me know what you think.
    I want to wait for your opinion before I give mine.

By dave. on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 11:25 am:

i saw it. over and over and over. it's atrocious parenting and atrocious news reporting. i saw toogood's lawyer, "rocket" rosen, making a statement last night. at first, i was impressed with how he handled the reporters but after about 10 minutes, he sort of dissolved into a heap of apologism and excuses. but then, what are ya gonna do when your client has just been shown for the 49,319th time treating her 4 year old daughter like a speed bag?

the news networks should send that child a big fat thank you check for the publicity.

By Antigone on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 06:16 pm:

I think Martha Toogood's daughter is Saddam
    Hussein's love child.

By spunky on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 11:06 pm:

OK, I will weigh in on my thoughts.
    Paranoia, I hope.
    The tape was taken by a "surveillance" camera outside a shopping center in Indiana(?). The ones that sweep back and forth. Somehow the camera stopped it's sweep and locked in on her, then focused in on her back, and the date was flashed.
    The footage does appear at casual glance to be exactly what it looked like, but....
    you never actually see very much of the child, and you never see a hand or fist come in actual contact with the child.
    Here's some interesting background on the mother:
    Toogood is believed to be an Irish Traveller, a clannish group with pockets of members around the country.
    Irish Travellers are descendants of a nomadic ethnic group that came to the United States in the 1800s to escape the potato famine, roaming the country by horse and wagon in search of itinerant work. They are Roman Catholics who share biblical names, marry within the group and speak their own dialect.Most of the men make their living in home-improvement and business-repair work, such as paving, painting and roofing. Law enforcement authorities say some of them scam clients.
    She is also believed to be affiliated with a Traveller group in the Texas communities of Fort Worth and White Settlement known as the Greenhorn Carrolls.

I just wonder if this was not an experiment of some time to gauge public reaction and response to such an instance.

Maybe it is just toogood to be true.

By Miss Thing on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 02:03 am:

Big Bro's going to get you,gonna knock you on your face,who do you think you are? Join the human race.Peace,Love,and a buttfuck

By J on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 10:44 am:

My thoughts,she was dumb enough to go back to a department store that had already busted her with shoplifting with a "return" probably one of the items she had previously lifted.Lots of stores,gas stations,buisnesses have cameras and though you couldn't see the child because the mother was blocking the veiw while she was thumping on that poor kid it's odvious to me that the child was being abused.

By trace on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 10:53 am:

If she did really beat her child, as the tape does suggest, then she should be punished as far as the law allows.

By Antigone on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:38 am:

spunk, you think this was an attempt to guage public opinion about camera surveillance?

Do you think the Travellers were used intentionally because they're a group which can be easily scorned by the majority? (i.e. Won't arouse minority groups or liberal guilt because they're not an ethnic minority, but are sufficiently outside the mainstream so they can't fight the government effectively...) Think they might be the next target, after immigrants, of the clampdown on civil liberties?

And, surveillance don't always just sweep back and forth. Many are controllable, and the sweeping motion is just their default behavior.

By Antigone on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:39 am:

Oops... I meant surveillance cameras don't always sweep back and forth.

By J on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:39 am:

She has already admitted it.

By Spider on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 12:01 pm:

I didn't know there were Travellers in America that kept to their old ways. Huh.

By spunky on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 12:04 pm:

Of course she did.
    Funny thing is, the workers who took the child (It appears that Martha is the daughter's name) have noted that no physical injuries are apparent.
    Bruises do not fade that quickly.

By patrick on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 12:08 pm:

oh god.

i wanted to smash my tv when they kept going on about this.

moreover, her lawyer should advise her to shut her fucking mouth.

apparently security saw what was happening and zoomed in.

trace i think you're thinking abit too much on her ethnicity and any paranoid conspiracy theories involved.

a bored security dude just got lucky.

stop playing the video. stop talking about it. move on. its business as usual.

By Antigone on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 12:12 pm:

Precisely.

By spunky on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 12:24 pm:

i watched the video once, on saturday....

By agatha on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 07:53 pm:

i watched it over and over again. it's really hard to see what's going on, and when the little girl swings her legs in the carseat it doesn't look like the leg swing of a crying child. but then, she admitted it. i feel really torn about the situation.

By spunky on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 10:32 pm:

Um, maybe it is just me, but the woman on the tape and the woman who confessed...
    Apart from a pony tail, they did not look anything alike.

By J on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 01:57 am:

Cause she dyed her hair Spunky,this is just wrong,I should be more paranoid than you,for sure.

By Sugar Ray Pancake Boy on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 09:15 am:

I thought she had some pretty good moves. I figure we'll see her soon going against Joey Buttafucko in Celebrity Boxing.

By spunky on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 09:29 am:

I'd buy that for a dollar!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact