"A VERY BIZARRE PORTRAIT"

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: "A VERY BIZARRE PORTRAIT"
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Anonymouseus on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 11:16 am:

A very bizarre portrait.

Kim Gallagher, Olympic Track Medalist, 38, Dies

November 21, 2002
    By FRANK LITSKY

Kim Gallagher, a slim but strong runner who overcame endless illnesses to win a silver medal in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics and a bronze in the 1988 Seoul Olympics,died Monday in a Philadelphia hospital. She was 38 and lived in Oreland, Pa.

The cause of death was a stroke, her husband, John Corcoran, said. She learned she had colon cancer after the 1988 Olympics and stomach cancer in 1995. In remission from colon cancer, she resumed running and last competed in the 1992 United States Olympic trials.

Both Olympic medals came at 800 meters, and Gallagher was the only American woman or man to win an individual track medal in Seoul at a distance longer than 400 meters. Her
    1988 Olympic time of 1 minute 56.91 seconds still ranks as the third fastest by an American woman at 800 meters, behind Jearl Miles-Clark (1:56.40) and Mary Decker Slaney (1:56.90).

Her athletic success was remarkable considering her health.
    Six months before the 1984 Olympics, she had surgery for multiple cysts on her ovaries caused by an estrogen imbalance. The condition reappeared until it was finally relieved by hormone treatment.

Years later, when colon cancer was diagnosed, Gallagher rejected her doctor's recommendation of surgery and chemotherapy, treating it with vitamins, diet and rest. The cancer went into remission, then reappeared in 1994.

A year later, she said: "I'm fine, I'm healthy, I'm strong. But I really can't work a full day. I get tired."

In 1996, she used a wheelchair, but she refused to see doctors and improved enough to walk with a cane.

Kimberly Ann Gallagher was born June 11, 1964, in Fort Washington, Pa., near Philadelphia. Her track career started at age 7 when she followed her 9-year-old brother,Bart, to his track club.

"He told me I couldn't join the club and not to hang around him," she once said. "I remember I was wearing clogs, and I knew that I was ready to do track, whatever that was.

"When I won my first trophy and it was as big as me, I knew I wanted to someday make the Olympic team."

At 8, she ran a 5:37 mile, the fastest by a girl that age. At 16, she finished eighth in the 800 meters in the Olympic trials.

Gallagher attended the University of Arizona for a semester and a half, training with the men's cross-country team. She left college, she said, because "world-class training and competing for a college don't go hand in hand."

Until college, she had been coached by her brother, Bart,who died in 2000. When she left college, he looked for an experienced coach for her and chose Chuck DeBus in California. DeBus coached her from 1983 to 1988, but he said her health prevented her from completing half her
    workouts. "Who knows how fast she could have run if she could have trained like a normal person?" he told The Los Angeles Times.

DeBus was later barred for two years by The Athletics Congress, then the sport's national governing body, for supplying anabolic steroids to his athletes.

After Gallagher started training with DeBus, her 5-foot-5 body became muscular, although her weight seldom exceeded 108 pounds. She said she never took steroids.

"I never wanted to look like all those pumped-up,
    big-looking, talking-weird women," she said. "I liked my looks too much."

Gallagher insisted she never loved the sport. She liked what it brought, especially a Mercedes-Benz and a Malibu home after her 1984 Olympic success.

She is survived by her husband; her 13-year-old daughter,Jessica Smith; her mother, Barbara of Philadelphia; and her father, John of Benson, Ariz.

She summed up her career by saying: "I needed to run for all the wrong reasons. I needed to run to keep my shoe contract. I needed to run to pay my bills. I learned a huge lesson. When I ran in the 1984 Olympics, I was going to be a star. I was going to make so much money, and I did.

"But it doesn't last if you're not devoted to what you're doing. I was not devoted to my running, and it showed. I don't get a great joy from running or training or going out and doing all the work. Running is not something I love,
    but I like excelling at things that I am good at."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/21/obituaries/21GALL.html?ex=1038888856&ei=1&en=008214356690c4e1

By Disk Girl on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 09:26 am:

Hay, let's change the subject. Does anyone
    out there like to pee in strange places? I like to
    park my car in a secluded place or empty
    parking lot where no one can see me and
    urinate by one of the tires. I then look at my
    puddle.

By Ophelia on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 01:14 am:

"I needed to run to pay my bills"

If only we were all so bluntly honest, I might have a lot more respect for people. On the other hand, I might not have quite so much to laugh at. I sort of enjoy bursting into hysterics at people's behaviour when they have to idea they are being funny... but I digress. As ridiculous as I find most of what is corny, sometimes the truth is corny, and sometimes I end up laughing at what is true, or being touched by superficial stuff. It's hard to keep track of what's what, especially when it's so easy to fool yourself about your own motives. How much of what we think and say is really a facade? I guess the only thing that is really concrete is our actions.

WahoOoo!!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact