The State of the union speech:

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: The State of the union speech:
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Anonymouseus on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:10 pm:

Nice speech. What planet is he on? Going to do all that stuff AND cut taxes?
    And we're going to war alone?

"Get on your combat boots, maw. Time to save the world agin."

By patr on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:39 pm:

considering the current times, it was a weak, insincere, uninspiring piece of shit.

By Spider on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:46 pm:

I watched "Smallville" instead.

As Stan Lee would say...'nuff said.

By Ick on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 02:28 pm:

what the fuck did i do to my name when i made that post

By a non Richie Rich on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:12 pm:

It, the war, has to be exquisitely timed before his re-election campaign. . . it's set to go for about two months. the troops are kind of restless. (restless to find out what's going to happen one way or another)
    the economy is in the dumper

maybe in one month bush will say
    "Soddom just has to be eliminated, got to put in those Ayatollahs, make the women wear burkas," brfrhrr

By jack on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:14 pm:

brfrhrr!

By Eric on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:24 pm:

By From the above site on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:40 pm:

"There was a terrorist act, September 11th, very unusual, a real historic event, the first time in history that the west received the kind of attack that it carries out routinely in the rest of the world. September 11th did change policy undoubtedly, not just for the US, but across the board. Every government in the world saw it as an opportunity to intensify their own repression and atrocities, from Russia and Chechnya, to the West imposing more discipline on their populations." ---Noam Chomsky

By patrick on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 04:14 pm:

did he really say "Lets roll" again last night or was that dubbed from his previous speech?

By Nate on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 05:21 pm:

"considering the current times, it was a weak, insincere, uninspiring piece of shit. "

sure boosted his ratings, so it couldn't have been too uninspiring.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 06:00 pm:

boosted his ratings? where did you get that impression.

Everything in this article implies nothing really changed other than more and more fickle americans are thinking we should slaughter Iraq because he rattled off some unverifiable numbers.

"Those who watched the speech were more likely to be Republican than Democratic, which is typical in polls of those who watch such speeches. Pollsters say that those who like a president are more likely to tune in."

Admit it nate, you could convice the general American public that an attack against Norway was justified if you needed to.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 06:13 pm:

the poll i heard had no dependancy on watching the speech. just general "do you support war in iraq" question moved some 10+ points higher.

i don't care what the people of america think. on war with iraq, no one has enough information to make a judgement. on the economy, the average person has credit card debt that will take 10+ years to pay off- what do they know about economics?

i'm sick of these mush brained lefties bitching about tax cuts favoring the rich. duh, we have a progressive tax code. any fair tax cut is going to favor the people who pay most of the taxes. people complaining that spending is going up while we make tax cuts. duh, we're in a recession, you're supposed to run a deficit.

yes, patrick, you can convince the general american public of just about anything. and the media does a fine job of filling heads with irrational crap.

By A on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 06:42 pm:

. . . "And we're going to war alone? "

By Nate on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 06:55 pm:

that didn't make sense, either. monday, after blix showed iraq to be in material breach, Britian reiterated it's stance behind the US. No one in NATO will oppose us.

It is obvious to the world that saddam needs to be yanked.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 06:58 pm:

i admit to knowing diddle about economics.

what is for sure is what is effecting me directly.what i see right in front of me.

My increased healthcare, which im relatively comfortable with. What im not comfortable with is the lack of accessibility of healthcare to those i care about. Medicine can be "socialized" without being socialized. I know the term scares the fuck out of people, but with our abundance, basic healthcare should be a given. Read not given away, but a no brainer.

I have plenty of friends who work freelance in the film business are outside the union who have no healthcare. My friend visiting from NYC works in a high-dollar manhatten restaurant and doesnt have healthcare. The kind of place that hosts people like Bill Clinton, Jim Carey, Lou Reed to name a few and he can't afford to go to a god damn dentist.

Why?

CNN cited 45,000 people died last year due to lack of proper healthcare. I take that for what its worth, as it IS CNN, but if its even remotely true how can we say we are protecting Americans by bombing the absurdly poor Iraqis while people are dying, right here under our nose, needlessly.

Educations budgets are being shafted left and right with state and federal budgets going to shit. You know this. You know what is happening in CA.

Of course my priorities are shifting. Its obvious.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 07:04 pm:

i consider every bomb dropped 1000 text books on economics that a kid in any given school district wont have.

our government is doing to enrage nate than what the press is doing by entertaining people, because thats essnetially what the mainstream press has boiled down to.

By moonit on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 07:13 pm:

Petrol prices jumped again here.

But the kiwi dollar is stronger against the US, up to 55c or something.

Good god its like grown up talk.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 07:23 pm:

i don't think you made any arguments, there, patty.

every free clinic is a shitload of textbooks that won't be bought, also.

education is not the responsiblity of the federal government, patty. nor is healthcare.

protecting the republic is.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 07:24 pm:

"grown up talk"

heh.

that reality sunk in the other day in traffic, with my visiting bud and i. We were having a conversation about current model cars we liked, he cited the mini and i responded "yeah but a car seat in that fucker would be a nightmare".

we both paused and looked at other and realized it seems like just the other day we were taking acid, stealing his parents wine and finding a thrill in staying out as late as possible.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 07:31 pm:

i realize nate, but it made me feel better.

they have made such matters their responsibility and i expect them to follow through.

the republic isnt threatened by saddam hussein at this moment. im not against ever taking appropriate action against him, just action now, citing the insubstantiated threat to coincide with a re-election.

back with the same ole run around, protecting the republic could be better acheived with less foreign policy hypocrisy, and a more pragmatic approach to Iraq because of the inherent danger that america will face directly if we bomb.

fuck im tired

By Nate on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 08:28 pm:

"the republic isnt threatened by saddam hussein at this moment"

you don't find mass quantities of 'missing' chemical and biological weapons to be threatening? and do you think we should delay something that should be done asap just because elections are upon us?

the major voices of opposition are germany and france, the former because shroeder ran on a pacifism ticket and the latter because france is benefiting hugely from the oil for food arrangements (moreso than any other country.)

i'm tired too.

By dave. on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:30 pm:

the cops busted a terrorist a couple hundred yards from my house trying to coax a couple of 9 and 10 year old girls into his car. that fucks my world 99.9 times more than saddam hussein, al qaeda does. the world is a sewer. life is hell. my new job is 3 times harder than my old one, i'm making less money and fighting a losing battle on all fronts. resistance everywhere. the house is falling apart. the clutter grows and grows. days seem too short. i'm trapped. there are no viable alternatives. i fucking hate it. sometimes, i feel like i'm gonna explode. waahhh.

so i could give a dribbly shit what bush says about anything. unless he has a solution for me, he can go hang.

By Numchuck on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:38 pm:

"One of the reasons the US wants to control the oil is because profits flow back, and they flow in a lot of ways. Its not just oil profits, it's also military sales. The biggest purchaser of US arms and probably British arms is either Saudi Arabia or United Arab Emirates, one of the rich oil producers. They take most of the arms and that's profits for hi- tech industry in the Unites States. The money goes right back to the US treasury and treasury securities. In various ways, this helps prop up primarily the US and BRITISH economies." ---Noam Chomsky

Nate, you seem rather brutish.

The anthrax mailer worked for the U.S. defense department. get on with it.

stop squabbling, bush is a dick.

By moonit on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:40 pm:

Patrick, grown up talk is starting to freak me out. The other day, I passed up a BEEEUTIFUL pair of shoes on the grounds that while they would look pretty, I'd have sore feet after half an hour of drinking.

This is not good.

By Numchuck on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:55 pm:

"One of the reasons the US wants to control the oil is because profits flow back, and they flow in a lot of ways. Its not just oil profits, it's also military sales. The biggest purchaser of US arms and probably British arms is either Saudi Arabia or United Arab Emirates, one of the rich oil producers. They take most of the arms and that's profits for hi- tech industry in the Unites States. The money goes right back to the US treasury and treasury securities. In various ways, this helps prop up primarily the US and BRITISH economies." ---Noam Chomsky

Nate, you seem rather brutish.

The anthrax mailer worked for the U.S. defense department. get on with it.

stop squabbling, bush is a dick.

By Antigone on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:48 am:

Numchuck, how the FUCK can you double post with a 17 minute delay?

Jeezus!

By patrick on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:23 am:

i actually thought that pretty kuul.

"you don't find mass quantities of 'missing' chemical and biological weapons to be threatening?"

define missing. missing from who? us? them?

the simmering pot that is palestine. the struggle, anger & rage, poverty, abuse, oppression and arguably genocide of Palestinians and the desperation it subsequently inspires in its youth is far more scarier than Saddam with a nuke and arguably an equally potent threat to the US.

Pakistan with nukes is far more scarier than Saddam with one.

We deterred the "evil" Soviet Union, and have deterred far more powerful demagogues and tyrrants so, no, i don't agree he is as dangerous to us, right now, as they say.

the best part is, all the grannies and local yokles the nation over are asking one hot shit question "What about Osama? What about the guy who killed 3000 Americans? Saddam never killed 3000 Americans, what happened to Osama?"

By Nate on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:37 am:

By Nate on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:46 am:

By Nate on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:46 am:

By patrick on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:49 am:

saddam would never cooperate with a group like al qaida not because of religion and faith but because of extreme paranoia that they could use those weapons against him and topple his regime. being the way he is, he's suspicious of everyone around him. a tyrrant assumes everyone around him wants his chair. the last thing he is going to do is team up with a potent, international, clandestine terrorist network. thats nuts! the weapons are all he has, if indeed he has working and current chemical munitions and the means to deliver them.

money yes. weapons, no.

By patrick on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:55 am:

how many of those countries are toeing the line with promised US economic and support? How many are joing in to get a break on a arms? Especially the likes of Poland, Bulgaria and Czech Repub and Hungry?

The leaders of Italy and Spain are notoriously conservative and the Danish, well those fuckers hate everyone.

Its particularly disapointing to see the Czech Repub on board. Havel is an admirable post-commie leader but he must be desperate.

last night i had a coalition of booze.

it started with Hite and soju at a Korean bar/rest. Then i rounded that out with Newcastle off the tap and the I finally wrapped that up with some PBR from the tap.

By NumLock on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 01:28 pm:

The above mentioned countries are not big players on the scene.

Italy has almost a Fascist government, just like out government is now.

France and Germany have a higher gross national product than all of those countries mentioned including Italy and England.

France has its own nuclear program, its own atomic bombs. they wisely decided about 1960 to have the 'force de frappe' so they wouldn't be like England who has their own nuclear submarines with two missiles on them.

Israel has more missiles than China. to guarantee their survival. before they get "pushed into the sea" as they phrase it.

Saddam does not have any nukes, or even a nuclear program.

Bush is such an obnoxious little puss!
    Acting like a big bully.
    "I was never arrested!" What a bare-faced liar.
    Drunken driving. and they didn't mention that his wife was involved in an automobile accident where the other person was killed. it was hushed up. an unfortunate accident.

Pray that the end of the world does not happen.

Probably can't even dine at the Jerusalem deli now because they hate us. (as american)

curtails travel plans unless you can "pass"

By Mr. Correcto on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 01:36 pm:

i meant to say above
    "with promised US economic and *MILITARY* support

By Nate on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 03:00 pm:

France is the #1 country benefiting from the oil-for-food arrangement. They see financial gain in delaying the war.

Germany will let us use our bases in Germany in the strike. That's all the support they can offer anyway, so really it is just lip service to the German people.

Saddam's nuclear program is not the main thrust. Why do you focus on it?

By Enough already Take a walk on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 06:46 pm:

it's a red herring

it's a race of the vassals

czech republic, portugal, italy the fascist government of europe, blair bush's poodle They're afraid of being overshadowed in europe by the big countries france and germany.

bush and all of this makes me so sick.

nelson mandella said the bush iS so arrogant and that the shrub can't think right.
    the group of people he was speaking to had to laugh reel hard.

By The Wrath of Khan take 2004 on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 06:49 pm:

you read wall street journal too hard, try the financial times

By wisper on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 08:25 pm:

i know Iraq doesn't have nukes.

know how?

because if they did, they'd be waving them around like spoiled little children who just got a cool new toy.
    LOOOOOOK at our BOMBS! LOOOK at how BIG and POWERFUL we are now!!! Aren't you SCARED of us??

every nation with that nuke power does the same shit. No one seems to be able to keep it in their pants or surprise people.
    Having these weapons turns countries into giant loud assholes.

"absolute power..." etc...

---

my favorite part was when he broke the news about finding a terrorist cell.... in Buffalo NY.

oh good lord no... not Buffalo!

They've REALLY trained these terrorists, if they survived more than a day in the depths of Buffalo.

any bombing there woud surely be an improvement.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact