CBS EXECUTIVES WANT NO 'ANTI-WAR' STATEMENTS DURING GRAMMYS

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: CBS EXECUTIVES WANT NO 'ANTI-WAR' STATEMENTS DURING GRAMMYS
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dan Rather on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 08:27 pm:

Top CBS executives are deeply concerned that Sunday night's GRAMMY Awards may turn from a celebration of music -- into a giant anti-war political rally, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The GRAMMY broadcast, which is set to air live from New York City, will feature performances by Eminem, Sheryl Crow, Springsteen, Coldplay, James Taylor and others.

Word has reached network suites how one star is allegedly planning a dramatic anti-war gesture.

"I would hope the artists will remember they are on stage because of their music," a top CBS source told the DRUDGE REPORT Friday morning.

MORE

During this week's BRITS award show, Coldplay's Chris Martin yelled out to the audience: "We are all going to die when George Bush has his way. But at least we are going to go out with a bang."

The CBS executive warned microphones may be unplugged on Sunday night if live performances turn political.

"It, of course, is a final option [to cut the microphone.] But it's a very real option," said the top source, who demanded anonymity.

"There is a time for political commentary, this is not one of them!"

By jack on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:35 pm:

Can't the Drudge Report afford copy editors, or are the grammatical errors and childish writing supposed to be "edgy" or something? That looks like something from a high school paper.

Also: "top" figures don't generally request (or "demand") anonymity, which is not to say that the idiotic gist of the item is untrue.

By patrick on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 12:26 pm:

bunch of network pussys

might actually make their dumbass show half way interesting.

By trace on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 12:45 pm:

No. It is easier to let them run their mouth like everyone else has been as of late. It takes more courage to tell the people they are paying to perform to keep their political mouths shut

By patrick on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 01:18 pm:

the networks are paying the musicians?

thats questionable.

the networks are hosting the Grammy organization, academy or whatever. the only transactions i can see happening are that between the network and the advertisers.

like the musicians need network money.

the network needs the musicians more than the musicans need the network.

CBS should stop being so afraid of the unknown, adversity etc. take a page from the Howard Stern lesson plan (Stern being on CBS payroll mind you) and realize people tune into the unknown.

By trace on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 01:25 pm:

They may not pay the performers any money, but they are footing the bill for broadcast costs.

By trace on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 01:26 pm:

I thought Stern was on NBC?

By Rowlf on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:29 pm:

"No. It is easier to let them run their mouth like everyone else has been as of late. It takes more courage to tell the people they are paying to perform to keep their political mouths shut"

yes. freedom of speech is for losers.

as for what CBS said:
    "I would hope the artists will remember they are on stage because of their music"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yes. (snicker) The Grammys are about quality music.

and (ahem) last time I checked, most music had these sets of words called 'lyrics' that people relate to. If you're going to nominate System of a Down for a Grammy, you should accept that if they win there will be an anti-war gesture. Just as you would accept that Avril Lavigne might say something stupid, Slipknot might say something Anti-Christian, etc.

And what pisses me off most about this thing, is that they are doing a tribute to the Clash on this show, one of the most political bands of all time. How ironic is it that they are going to honor a band that always spoke its mind, and paved the way for other political bands, but ask others to shut their mouths?

By trace on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:39 pm:

"yes. freedom of speech is for losers."

Oh my.
    CBS is a PRIVATE industry.
    It is using it's money, received from customers (sponsors) and it control's it's transmissions.
    It have every right to decide what will and what will not be broadcast.

The "artists" can say what ever they want on stage, but if CBS pulls the plug on the mic, that is their freedom as well

By Rowlf on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 09:02 pm:

"It have every right to decide what will and what will not be broadcast"

I agree, but it is morally wrong, and it is completely hypocritical. Honoring artists who became famous because of their politics but silencing others.

I think it would be suicide for CBS to cut the mic on people making a statement at least half the country agrees with.

And even if it was an opinion held by 5%, unpopular speech is just as vital as the mainstream opinion, and people tune into these shows to hear what the "artist" partially for what has to say during their speech. What CBS is doing is censoring ONE idea, the same way the radio censored Tom Petty's ideas this past year for criticizing corporate control over station playlists. That to me is far worse than getting in a fizzy over the big bad f word.

You notice they didn't say they were going to stop anyone from promoting an Iraq invasion...

By jack on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 09:25 pm:

...maybe because nobody said they were going to promote an invasion of Iraq.

By jack on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 09:26 pm:

So, anyway, you guys actually believe stuff that gets posted on Drudge Report?

By wisper on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 09:46 pm:

i dunno, if that country dickhead gets up and plays that "Where were you..." bullshit song.....

see?
    last year it was all patriotism, this year- enforced patriotism?

anyhoo, who watches the grammys? or CBS for that matter?
    that's what i thought.
    no one's going to see it, either way. They could have midgets bowling for live sexual favours and i still wouldn't make it past hour 1.

unless that delightful Billy Crystal is involved!

i'm hungry.

By semillama on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:49 pm:

It's probably a ploy to get people to actually watch it now. Now i feel like I should just in case.

By trace on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 01:00 pm:

im not watching it if crystal hosts...

By trace on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 03:48 pm:

""If we can't turn to our artists, who can we look to?" Crow told the Daily News. "I think there will be artists stepping forward and making statements.""

By semillama on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 09:31 am:

Fred Durst, for one. That was weird. Sheryl Crow had a peace sign on and "No War" on her bass strap.

Other than that, no one said much directly.

it was fun watching Norah Jones win all those grammies though.

The Joe Strummer tribute: it was cool to see Elvis Costello play a Clash song, and it was cool to see Springsteen sing the hell out of it, but Dave Grohl was so out of place. it would have been better if he had been the drummer for that combo.

I thought the musical performances were much more tolerable to watch than in previous years. I liked the Simon and Garfunkel thing, maybe that just set the tone for the show.

By patrick on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:30 am:

i admit. I have a weakness for that Norah Jones tune.

In the summer.....blazing through the clouds on a Delta jet for NYC, high on valium and vodka, I plugged in my headset to that one song of hers....and man........i was soooooooooooo relaxed. So now, when I hear it, it triggers that feeling of floating on clouds and valium.

I didnt watch the grammys. not my bag. speaking of tom petty. i did have dinner with his daughter last night. actually thats a lie. i just had margaritas.

By wisper on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:33 pm:

what's she like?

By patrick on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:55 pm:

kinda mousey. looks just like her dad in the face and eyes.

she seemed nice.

when we arrived, she gave me eyes....i mean, like obvious eyes. she kinda looked like someone i've seen in and around my office bldg. so i thought perhaps she was staring because she recognized me.

When we sat down, she across from me, she continued the exagerrated stares. I finally asked her if she worked in the so and so bldg. She said no and nico filled me in on who she was as nico had met her earlier in the week.

she seemed nice, but kinda spacey and not all together there in my limited assessment.

By patrick on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:56 pm:

at the same dinner i met this cat who teaches at this really awesome architecture school....he knows one of my studiomates who also teaches at the same school and he asked for my card for a possible photo gig.

he was pretty neat too.

i have high regards for architecture peeps. they seem so damn smart.

By Boring big kev on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:11 pm:

Architechs dont bother me much, but I cant stand engineers that think they know fucking everything.

Although i did learn that when i fuck up something its called a fuckup, but when its an engineer/architect fuckup its called an Oversight... they get to say oops and fuck me out of the coin to fix their fuckup...ASSHOLES..so now all my contracts have a clause that contains timelimits on modifications and corrections, with rather large penalties... once the plans are Okayed, it costs to change anything....

like the assholes that designed this Mormon Church that i was working on until xmas... Those fucks wouldn't admit to a single mistake, they believe that they're prefect (i guess) cause even when give written eveidence of errors they wouldn't admit to em... I would continually get memos and faxes (appropriatly back dated) saying to change/fix whatever it was that i had pointed out last, with a note saying that they tried to contact me at the approp. time....BULLSHIT my fax and Cell and work PC and office Ans.Mach. cant all not work at the same time.....

well....

By Dougie on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:28 pm:

Shit, I missed Simon & Garfunkel. I saw Coldplay with the NY Phil, which I found disappointing, and Bruce sawing his guitar in half, and Avril Lavigne singing something I've never heard. Oh, and the Dixie Chicks. I like their rendition of Landslide. I love that song. Maybe I should get that album.

By Bigkev on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:33 pm:

dixie chicks, home... Fantastic album, definitly get it

By patrick on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:38 pm:

yuck

my office mate has been playing this group, that you will hear more about called the Bering Strait.

A documentary was just released about this group of young russian music students who came to america, went to Nashville playing country music and got a record deal and so on and so forth.

He played me their CD this morning and I was so disapointed as it sounded like all the other pop passed off as country these days.

yuck yuck yuck.

By eri on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 09:55 am:

I worked for some engineers in MO. It was a firm of about 15 engineers and their employees. It was a Christian based office, and it was the best job I ever had.

You are right. If they fuck up it is called an oversight, and they are anal retentive about everything, including the way you spell the work EFIS, or is it EIFS (pronounce E-fis). This group of guys did make the engineer take the fall if he did fuck up, though. Put it on their insurance. At least I can say that if they fucked up and the other partners found out about it they were made to pay.

I don't like the Dixie Chicks. I haven't liked a single thing I have heard out of them, but then again, I don't like country music.

I missed Simon and Garfunkle too. Kinda dissapointed. I didn't like the rest of what I saw. Oh, well.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 12:12 pm:

Sorry I missed Simon and Garfunkle.

I loved them in high school.

Not sorry I missed the Grammy's. They make me feel old. I cann't stand Rap. And, to much of the other music sounds like someone strangling a cat to me.

I'm getting to much like my parents. They thought rock was just someone screaming at the top of their lungs with to loud noise in the background.

I'm sure my grandparents felt the same about their music too.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact