this is it Part II

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: this is it Part II
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By trace on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 03:40 pm:

ok.
    The B-2's left sometime yesterday.

That would put them in Iraq sometime Friday.

It is possible that they are being staged in Qutur, but the purpose of the B-2 is to be able to fly to a target and return home without needing to land.

That is what they did with Afganistan.

I remember how zombified the pilots were when they got in

By patrick on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 03:49 pm:

Qatar

GO PILLS!!!!!!!!!

so whats your point again with this trace?

to impress us with your knowledge or update us on the war-about-to-happen?

last i read, the b-2s are being based in the British island Diego Garcia, that they were building special hangars there.

By trace on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 04:08 pm:

They are stationing some around Korea.
    I know they had built portable hangers, but I am not sure where they are. It might be DG.

I do know that they are not carrying the moabs.

By patrick on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 04:21 pm:

By semillama on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 05:14 pm:

I'm glad they aren't carrying those things. It sickens me that we have bombs that big. Why do we need a bomb so big that it can obliterate a house a mile away from the impact center? I suppose the military was looking for something as terrifying as a nulcear weapon without going nuclear.

By trace on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 07:42 pm:

I don't work for the "pointy end" of the spear, so my knowledge is somewhat limited in this area. However, I do have access to inventory, because that is part of the intelligence (good thing there was not a spelling test) end of the spectrum.
    The MOAB is to be pushed out the back of a cargo plane

By trace on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 07:53 pm:

By semillama on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 09:39 am:

I saw that on the Daily Show. It was sort of funny, in that it took a really long time to fall, and John Stewart ran out of breath making the whistling noise.

By Spider on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:13 am:

Did any of you guys watch that "Profiles" program on ABC last night, which shadowed soldiers serving in different capacities in Afghanistan?

By trace on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:19 am:

I saw a fraction of a second of it, but Eri doesn't like those types of programs.

It is really strange here at work today.
    There was a flurry of activity last night, lots of frightening data compiled, and now we are sitting around talking about anything but work.
    It feels kind of like waiting for a pink slip.
    Everyone knows it's coming, but no one wants to talk about it.

By Antigone on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:33 am:

...except for you...on the internet...

By Spider on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:34 am:

Goddammit, I've tried to type this 3 times and I keep getting interrupted.

I saw most of the show...it was interesting. There was one moment when the MPs were looking for a suspected Al Qaeda man who had apparently planted a bomb in a local music store. But the bomb was really an anti-tank mine, which they estimated as needing 500 pounds of pressure to detonate. They caught the guy and arrested him, but the whole situation seemed very strange. I mean, the guy must have been pretty desperate to use a big mine like that as a bomb, right? He even looked really skinny and desperate.

Anyway. It was interesting.

By trace on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:41 am:

well, it seems different talking to you guys versus my co-workers

By Antigone on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:46 am:

Different, how?

By Antigone on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:53 am:

On another note, listen to the NPR program "The World" today, you can hear my sister. She's doing a story on Azerbaijan, a former Soviet republic bordering Iran. She visited there a month ago to teach local radio journalists how to be radio journalists. The story will also be here this weekend.

By trace on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:56 am:

By semillama on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 12:06 pm:

Wow. Kinda makes you wish christians did more stuff like that. Ashes just don't compare.

It would be amusing to see someone like Jerry Falwell cutting their head open, I admit.

By Spider on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 12:30 pm:

My goodness, blood is so.....red....

By semillama on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:07 pm:

Speaking of yet another different subject

I think Florida is trying to take away the title of "Wackiest State in the Nation" from California.

By patrick on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:09 pm:

Hey, Bush bombed Florida the other day with that WMD. Its the only state that would allow it. His brother immediately said "Im tellin Dad!"

Angry Sam now has a radio show every week. You gotta tune in. I'll clue in next week.

By trace on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:16 pm:

i think those guys have to be the most dedicated i have ever seen....

I too would enjoy watching falwell preform that ritual.

By J on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:24 pm:

Hot damn right on for Angry Sam !! Yea!

By semillama on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 12:38 pm:

An appendix of sorts...

U.S. Fines Woman for Being 'Human Shield'

The Associated Press
    Monday, August 11, 2003; 9:42 AM

SARASOTA, Fla. - A retired schoolteacher who went to Iraq to serve as a "human shield" against the U.S. invasion is facing thousands of dollars in U.S. government fines, which she is refusing to pay.

The U.S. Department of the Treasury said in a March letter to Faith Fippinger that she broke the law by crossing the Iraqi border before the war. Her travel to Iraq violated U.S. sanctions that prohibited American citizens from engaging in "virtually all direct or indirect commercial, financial or trade transactions with Iraq."

She and others from 30 countries spread out through Iraq to prevent the war. She spent about three months there. Only about 20 of nearly 300 "human shields" were Americans, she said.

Fippinger, who returned home May 4, is being fined at least $10,000, but she has refused to pay. She could face up to 12 years in prison.

In her response to the charges, she wrote the government that "if it comes to fines or imprisonment, "please be aware that I will not contribute money to the United States government to continue the buildup of its arsenal of weapons." Since she won't pay, she said, "perhaps the alternative should be considered."

The government also has asked Fippinger, 62, to detail her travels to Iraq and any financial transactions she made. In her response, Fippinger wrote that the only money she spent was on food and emergency supplies.

If Fippinger does not pay, the fine may increase, and the money will be drawn from her retirement paycheck, her Social Security check or any of her assets, officials said.

"She was (in Iraq) in violation of U.S. sanctions," said Taylor Griffin, a Treasury Department spokesman. "That's what happens."

Shortly before the U.S. invasion in March, Fippinger was one of several dozen human shields scattered around a refinery in Baghdad.

"We are planning to stay here in the refinery if war breaks out," Fippinger said at the time. "We are staying here because we think this war is unjust."

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact