King recovering after slamming his vehicle into house

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: King recovering after slamming his vehicle into house
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunkyDingo on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 04:46 pm:

Source
    Rodney King, whose videotaped beating led to the 1992 riots in Los Angeles, remains in a hospital after he lost control of his car and crashed into a house over the weekend, police said.

King, 39, of Rialto was spotted Sunday by a Rialto police officer, who said King was weaving through traffic in his 2003 Ford Expedition and traveling about 100 mph when he slammed into a utility pole, a chain-link fence and then the home, police said. No one in the home was injured.

King broke his pelvis in the accident and was taken to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton where he was listed in fair condition Monday afternoon, hospital spokesman Jorge Valencia said.

Police said they suspect that King was intoxicated at the time of the accident, and a blood sample was drawn to determine his blood-alcohol level. Test results have not yet been released.

King was not arrested, but a report detailing the crash circumstances will be submitted to the district attorney's office, Rialto police Lt. Kathy Thompson said.

King, who is black, was chased by police through the San Fernando Valley in 1991 and was captured on videotape being beaten by four white officers, who were later acquitted. Riots broke out that lasted four days and left 55 dead and more than 2,000 injured. The mayhem caused $1 billion in property damage.

King later received a $3.8 million settlement from the city of Los Angeles in 1994.

He was convicted of spouse abuse in 1999 in San Bernardino County and received 90 days in jail and four years on probation. Claremont police arrested King for being under the influence of PCP in August 2001, and a month later, Pomona police arrested him for being under the influence of PCP and indecent exposure after visitors at Ganesha Park complained about a man jumping on an ice chest.

King pleaded no contest to three counts of being under the influence of PCP and a count of indecent exposure in October 2001. A judge gave King a year in a drug treatment center even though a prosecutor argued King should spend a year in county jail.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 04:55 pm:

are you making a point about something?

By spunkyDingo on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 04:57 pm:

Are you?

By jack on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 04:58 pm:

wow. you guys are deep.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 05:06 pm:

I dunno trace, it seems weird that you'd report news that we'd all hear about anyways here without an opinion...

so then, whats the point? Are you part of the Rodney King fanclub or something?

By eri on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 05:52 pm:

I wouldn't have found this out if he hadn't posted it. Geez guys.

Rodney King fan club? Now there's a genius.

By wisper on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 06:00 pm:

you're not a member?!
    I've got the Rodney King/GM Visa!

By spunkydingo on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 07:47 pm:

"King, who is black,"

What difference does that make to the story?
    How does it change the story?
    Why interject that into the story?
    Are they trying to start something?
    That was my point.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 09:30 pm:

I noticed that too, you could have mentioned that... you could have called your post "now why'd they have to mention his race?" or something...

By wisper on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 09:50 pm:

spunky likes us to figure things out by ourselves.

By harvey wordman on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 10:31 pm:

It was a reference to the past story (where race was an issue) without having to actually talk about it. You know, for people who aren't familiar with the story or forgot...hard to believe, but it happens and it was over ten years ago now. It's typical journalistic technique...in order to place things in a kind of cultural context without a lot of words. This would not have been as effective:

"King was chased by police through the San Fernando Valley in 1991 and was captured on videotape being beaten by four officers, who were later acquitted. Riots broke out that lasted four days and left 55 dead and more than 2,000 injured. The mayhem caused $1 billion in property damage"

Saying "King, who is black" and "four white police" officers nods to race without having to rehash the whole story.

By jack on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 11:06 am:

yet another example of trace's ongoing difficulty understanding the use of the English language.

By eri on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 00:03 am:

I lived through it. I hated it. I hate racism. I hate blatant idiocy using racism as an excuse for blatant idiocy.

I have said enough.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 10:57 am:

And then there's hate of blantant idiocy as an excuse for blatant idiocy.

By eri on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 00:41 pm:

Are you calling me an idiot?

By spunkyDingo on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 01:08 pm:

"yet another example of trace's ongoing difficulty understanding the use of the English language."
    It's a common theme around here.
    I ask what impact it has on a story to mention the color of a person's skin, and I get a response like above....

By kazoo on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 01:23 pm:

I thought Harvey made a good point.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

Are you lookin' at me?

Are YOU lookin' at ME?

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 01:35 pm:

"It's a common theme around here."

Yeah, that's because you're uncommonly dense.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 01:40 pm:

"I ask what impact it has on a story to mention the color of a person's skin, and I get a response like above...."

no. you got a perfectly reasonable response from harvy in addition to the smart assed one. it up to you which one you want to pay attention to

By patrick on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 01:41 pm:

the sick part is, i knew, upon seeing this yesterday, you'd start a thread with this...challenging the story one way or another.

By jack on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 02:17 pm:

what patrick said. do you still not understand why the story mentioned race?

By spunkyDingo on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 02:23 pm:

Thank you for explaining to me why I posted what I did. I am glad I have someone who can explain me to me.
    I thought maybe it was because by continuing to point out races in these stories, we could possibly be exacerbating the problem, but you set me straight. Thank you.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 02:34 pm:

"point out races in these stories, we could possibly be exacerbating the problem"

ok. explain. define.

please. show examples and back your argument up.

everyone here has a similar opinion that in this particular instance, race was defined, because, whether you like it or not, race WAS an issue with Rodney King at one point. People only know of Rodney King because his race played a factor in the crimes against him. In fact, you could argue that his race is the ONLY reason you know his name, the KEY reason he was beaten to a bloody pulp and subsequently a KEY reason this is even making news today.

So if you think by somehow citing his race in this particular story is exacerbating the problem you better have some logic, intelligence and rationale behind such an idea because no one here is buying it trace.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 02:51 pm:

Not mentioning his race would be leaving out key facts of the story.

But, we already know your opinions about when it's appropriate to leave out facts, right? Obviously, in this case, it would be better to leave out the facts, right? For the good of the nation, right?

Next argument!

By semillama on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 03:00 pm:

Well, it fits in with a common conservative ideology that race issues are a thing of the past and have all been solved, and anyone who brings up racial inequity is trying to diminish the rights enjoyed by everyone (theoretically).

If you don't think race matters, look at the recent coverage of three female soldiers, who include Jessica Lynch (white), Lori Piestewa (Navajo) and Shoshanna Johnson (black). Another interesting thing to keep in mind while comparing the coverage of these three is the social norm for beauty in this country as it applies to race.

By jack on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 03:02 pm:

"Thank you for explaining to me why I posted what I did. I am glad I have someone who can explain me to me.
    I thought maybe it was because by continuing to point out races in these stories, we could possibly be exacerbating the problem, but you set me straight. Thank you. "

who are you addressing with this?

and what are you calling "the problem"?

By spunkyDingo on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 03:08 pm:

And that would be your choice. I am not asking you to buy it. I am simply stating a thought that I had when I read that line in this story.
    I realize, however, when I consider other stories that appear in newspapers across the world, that you must write in a manner that all readers will be able to understand what they are reading.
    I concede that the statement "Rodney King, who is black" is probably no different then "The Pinto, which is made by Ford".
    That is fair.
    Color of skin is not as important as the maker of a certain vehicle, in my opinion.
    A Ford Fairlane could possibly have the same problems as a Ford Pinto, however it is highly unlikely that a person with the same color of skin as Mr. King will have the same seemingly apparent affinity towards trouble while driving a vehicle.
    However, a patron of the esteemed Sarasota County, Florida Herald Tribune may not be as well informed of the adventures of Mr. King, four members of the LA Police Department, and scores of people in the streets of LA.

So, to wrap this up:
    To me, that was an un-necessary and possibly racist remark, but to others, it may be necessary because they are not aware of the history of the subject of this story, and race absolutely at the heart of the history.

ummmmmkayyyyy

By jack on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

not bad. you actually coherently explained yourself, except for the "ummmmkayyyy" part.

By spunkyDingo on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 03:18 pm:

southpark

By spunkyDingo on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 03:19 pm:

southpark

By spunkyDingo on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 03:19 pm:

southpark

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 03:28 pm:

Are you saying you're Mr Hat?

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 03:29 pm:

Are you saying you like having someone's hand up your ass, controlling your every movement?

By sarah on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 03:31 pm:

give me a fuckin break people. we all know what the underlying tone of that article was.

any person who allegedly commits one or multiple misdemeanors and/or felonies deserves to be prosecuted and if found guilty then punished. that person does not, however, deserve to be beaten up by police within an inch of her or his life.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 03:44 pm:

Sarah, I agree with you. That is an excellent observation.
    By the way, it was not Mr Hat, it was the school counselor.

I missed the point of the article, but upon reading it a fifth time, I discovered the truth!
    "King was weaving through traffic in his 2003 Ford Expedition"

It was the SUV!

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 03:46 pm:

Hey, why not? You know the old saying, "An eye for a tooth, a tooth for an eye, you pinko commie faggot scum."

By semillama on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 04:01 pm:

I bet the cops freaked out when they realized it was Rodney King. Probably the last person a police officer wants any interaction with, due to media scrutiny.

By spunkyDingo on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 04:30 pm:

I'd imagine.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 04:51 pm:

I think that if he was intoxicated, he shouldn't get off, though. Just make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact