Anyone notice this last week?

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Anyone notice this last week?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 11:36 am:

EU Current Nations:
    Belgium
    Denmark
    Germany
    Greece
    Spain
    France
    Ireland
    Italy
    Luxembourg
    the Netherlands
    Austria
    Portugal
    Finland
    Sweden
    United Kingdom

New Nations:
    Bulgaria
    Czech Republic
    Estonia
    Cyprus
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Hungary
    Malta
    Poland
    Romania
    Slovenia
    Slovakia
    Turkey

These 28 countries voted to become One. Europa.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 11:36 am:

By Spider on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 11:45 am:

This is great. Since I have dual citizenship with the US and Italy, I can travel and even move to any of these countries without having to mess with visas/immigration.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 12:20 pm:

Rhi, are you the Pope's love child?

By Spider on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 12:27 pm:

Since he's Polish, no.

But I was born in the year he became Pope. 1978.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 12:34 pm:

Do you WANT to be the Pope's love child?

By Spider on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 12:43 pm:

Why would I want that?

My own father's good enough.

By Spider on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

Anyway, why are we talking about me and the Pope? We should be talking about the potential father of my own love children, Tony Blair, and his chances of becoming president of the EU.

By Spider on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 12:45 pm:

(Dammit, I wish you people would read "A Song of Ice and Fire." That way I could say Blair is like Littlefinger except not evil, and you could agree with me.)

By semillama on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 12:50 pm:

Well, they didn't vote to become one country. Its a union of countries. Sort of like the UN on a continental scale. Europa is simply the name of their website. Plus only the Czech Republic, Estonia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Slovenia, Slovakia are new member nations, the others are candidates.

Personally, i like the idea. It makes sense for them and it's not like this is a new idea anyhow.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

..to counterbalance growing us unilateralism.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:16 pm:

..pud

By Yamma on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 03:32 pm:

spuds,
    they have all those eyes
    so
    look out.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 03:42 pm:

Principal objectives of the European Union are:

Establish European citizenship (Fundamental rights; Freedom of movement; Civil and political rights)

Ensure freedom, security and justice (Cooperation in the field of Justice and Home Affairs)

Promote economic and social progress (Single market; Euro, the common currency; Job creation; Regional development; Environmental protection)

Assert Europe's role in the world (Common foreign and security;

The European Union in the world)The EU is run by five institutions, each playing a specific role:

European Parliament (elected by the peoples of the Member States);

Council of the Union (composed of the governments of the Member States);

European Commission (driving force and executive body);

Court of Justice (compliance with the law);

Court of Auditors (sound and lawful management of the EU budget).

Five further bodies are part of the institutional system:

European Economic and Social Committee (expresses the opinions of organised civil society on economic and social issues)

Committee of the Regions (expresses the opinions of regional and local authorities on regional policy, environment, and education)

European Ombudsman (deals with complaints from citizens concerning maladministration by an EU institution or body)

European Investment Bank (contributes to EU objectives by financing public and private long-term investments)

European Central Bank (responsible for monetary policy and foreign exchange operations)

************THIS IS NOT ANTOHER U.N.**************

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 03:47 pm:

This ain't no disco!

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 03:50 pm:

By spunky on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 04:51 pm:

By semillama on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 07:18 pm:

Ok, so it's not the UN. It's more like the USA.

Do you check under the bed for the UN before you go to sleep?

By spunky on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 07:28 pm:

um, no. do you?
    Is hans blitz inspecting your bed for chemical or biological weapons?

By semillama on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 07:39 pm:

Only after I eat too many carbs.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 07:42 pm:

heh. i went off atkins with a bang.

i think i'm going to go back on atkins just so i can go off of it with a twelver and a loaf of french bread again. man alive! sphincter numbing durations!

By semillama on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 07:44 pm:

Damn straight!

Talk about your WAD's!

By Spider on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 09:45 am:

Huh, that's funny....going off Atkins didn't mess with my digestion, but it made me nearly pass out.

As restrictive and annoying this diet is, I can't deny that it gives me more energy than I have ever had. Before, I had thought it was normal to want to fall asleep after every meal.

By eri on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 02:24 pm:

The one thing I miss is having energy. I always feel bloated and sleepy after I eat. I am back to having to force myself to eat again, because I don't want that tired dopey feeling after I finally do eat.

On the upside, I have cut off my alcoholic intake for a little while. Not permanent or anything, but not every single night now, and I slept so well last night (once I finally got to sleep) and I am not dropping weight yet!!!! Yea!!!! I need to work out more, though. I know that. I don't like the cottage cheese growing on my thighs! I actually have that, and never have before. I feel like I need to take better care of myself, but I feel so blessedly normal!!!!

Well, back to packing.

By semillama on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 10:22 am:

You might want to pay more attention to this than the EU.

By spunky on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 10:39 am:

I would like to see that same information on a slighly less biased site.

By sarah on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 11:05 am:

antigone, i want you to know that perhaps i'm one of the few who get most or all of your lyric references.

By semillama on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 12:13 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact