Love (and SARS) is in the air....

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Love (and SARS) is in the air....
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 07:28 pm:

two potential jackpots by parliment in under a year.
    I'm tellin ya, i just might vote next time. They're really getting my attention.
    I am as close to national pride as i ever have been. It feels all wrong and creepy.
    I just hope it all goes through....

--------------

Canada Committee Backs Same-Sex Marriages

TORONTO - A powerful Parliament committee — by a one-vote margin — issued a non-binding call Thursday for the Canadian government to drop legal challenges of court rulings that allow same-sex marriages.

The 9-8 vote by the House of Commons Justice Committee was the latest to prod Prime Minister Jean Chretien's government to change the legal definition of marriage or to stop challenges to court rulings that allow other than heterosexual unions.

On Tuesday, an Ontario appeals court declared invalid Canada's legal definition of marriage as being limited to the union of a man and a woman, changing it in Ontario to a union between two people.

It also ordered Toronto's city clerk to issue marriage licenses to homosexual couples involved in the case. That led to Canada's first legal same-sex marriage later in the day, with 21 more homosexual couples receiving marriage licenses on Wednesday.

Despite the Parliament committee's vote, Justice Minister Martin Cauchon said Thursday he needed more time before deciding whether the government would appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.

If not, the appellate court's definition of marriage would become the national law.

"There's many options," Cauchon said. "We have a Cabinet retreat next week, and I really want to take the time to talk to my colleagues."

Opinion polls indicate a slight majority of Canadians favor making same-sex marriages legal. Some Cabinet ministers have said it was time to change the marriage definition to reflect modern social mores, but divisions have emerged among members of Parliament from the governing Liberal Party.

Last month, a British Columbia appeals court also ruled the federal government should change the law. The federal government also has yet to decide on whether to appeal the British Columbia ruling.

A Quebec court also has ruled against the federal ban. Quebec recognizes homosexual civil unions, which are separate from formal marriage.

In the United States, homosexual marriage lacks full legal recognition in all 50 states. Vermont recognizes civil unions that give homosexual couples the full benefits and responsibilities of marriage, but are separate from legal marriage.

--------------

how many protestors were out on the lawn that day, spilling on to the streets and waving bibles and signs, you ask? How many hundreds came down in buses to oppose changing the national marriage laws to include gays?

one.

just
    ONE
    LONE
    GUY

and it was pathetic, one lone minister, sitting on a lawn chair and reading a book, badly worded sign propped up beside him. He left before dusk. And that's it.

it's beautiful.

By BIGKev on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 07:24 pm:

you should hear the rednecks in AB. losing it!!!
    they are so bass- ackwards its funny... its like the Simpsons episode where Homer thinks bart might be 'getting gay' from John, the shop owner... anyway... holy ol' shit... I tried to talk to one guy, but he was so adament, and worried and.... god knows what else, i couldnt hardly speak....

man i hate the people in this province... its like when i moved here i went back in time at least a decade....

By J on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 02:00 pm:

I hear that,Milton bumfuck West Virginia.

By spunky on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 02:20 pm:

"you should hear the rednecks in AB. losing it!!!
    they are so bass- ackwards its funny.."

You gotta love calling someone who has a different value system then your own a bass-ackward redneck. That is a classic example of the pot calling the kettle black

By semillama on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 03:07 pm:

So are you.

And it's a little more than just a "different value system." That's like saying white supremists have just a "different value system"

ok actually they do, and it's totally bass-ackward.

By spunky on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 03:20 pm:

New math, eh?

By spunky on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 03:41 pm:

Look, you have two groups of people.
    Each has a different view.
    How can you claim to be "tollerent" when you cheer one group, while labeling the other group with insulting, degrading terms?
    By default you have also assumed the roll of a bigot.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 05:55 pm:

Who's claiming to be tolerant?

Look. you have two groups of people. One group's view and actions are to increase human rights. The other groups views and actions are to decrease human rights.

If it makes me a bigot to call the latter group a bunch of assholes, then so be it. But I think you aren't clued into what "tolerance" is, spunky. I am tolerant of hate groups right to spout their hate, but that doesn't mean I have to like them. And if their hatespouting crosses the line into denying of another groups human rights, then they shouldn't be tolerated at all. Tolerance is not a blanket acceptance of everything.

By spunky on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 06:48 pm:

why label them a hater if they beleive that homosexuality is wrong? most of it comes from biblical beliefs. are you going to stand there and say that there is no such thing as god, and if there is, he is wrong?

By wisper on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 07:01 pm:

when religious beliefs oppress an entire group of people, human rights must come first.

you're right bigkev, the AB premier scares the crap out of me. Wtf is wrong with Alberta. Your health care is all assfucked too, no?

By BIGKev on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 07:32 pm:

yes yes it is....

Ralph Klein = Drunken bigot*

*although every bit the politician, he has said that if the public was more open to homosexual marriages he would not stop them with bullshit legallities.

By wisper on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 07:42 pm:

how much more open does he want....?

although i drove through Alberta and the mountains in 2001, it really is beautiful there. Pictures can't express things like that.
    My mom's from Sask. and my dad's from BC.

By spunky on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 09:59 pm:

Hey, now wait a god damned minute.
    I did not say I agree or disagree with the decision. Wanna know the truth? I could care less if you married GOATS.
    My beef is the idea that it is ok to call someone a backwards redneck because they still stick to some sort of moral code that they beleive in.

By Antigone on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 10:21 pm:

Is it OK for them to impose their moral code on the rest of us?

By Bubbles on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 10:40 pm:

Are you not wanting to impose your moral code on them?

By Banjo Duel on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 12:42 pm:

Hey, naw wate a god dadburned minute. ah did not say ah agree o' disagree wif th' decishun. Wanna knows th' truth? ah c'd care less eff'n yo' married up wif GOATS. Mah beef is th' idea thet it is ok t'call someone a bakwards redneck on accoun o' tha still sticks t'some so't of mo'al code thet they beleive in, as enny fool kin plainly see.

By wisper on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 06:45 pm:

sticking to a moral code is one thing, and mostly respectable. It's also no ones business but the individuals. They stick to it by themselves.
    Pushing morals on others about things that don't even concern you, that's when one becomes a backwards redneck. Or whatever.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 06:59 pm:

Basically, if you are against homosexual marriages, don't marry one. I still can't believe its not legal yet here. How ridiculous.

I wonder if Canada will experience an increase in immigration from the US of homosexual couples?

By Rowlf on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 07:12 pm:

Alberta thinks its Texas.

Now we're gonna get the rap about the sanctity of marriage.

To the married folk, and I'm serious here.

Your marriage don't mean shit. The cake and the flowers and the gifts does not make at least 50% of you any more committed than you were before. There is no sanctity of marriage, and if you think there is, why dont you try not rushing into them, not making such a huge fuss about it, being with someone you love instead of someone you knocked up. Gay people will never ruin what it means to be married, especially if the Missionary Position Experience continues to shovel shit on what it currently means to be married.

A committed gay couple showing such enthusiasm, wanting to show the world that they want to be together for life, wanting the right, can only strengthen the sanctity of marriage. It can only decrease the stereotype of running around fucking anything that moves, multiple partners. And when it does, we wont be having this discussion anymore ...

Until then, America - send us your homos. They hate hockey too, and that attitude needs to spread through this country like a shitstain in my underpants.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 07:18 pm:

"I still cant believe its not legal..."

you still need to work out your sodomy laws first... I often wonder if these laws exist because they associate it with gay people, or because they are threatened by the act itself

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 09:51 pm:

"the Missionary Position Experience"

Nice one, Rowlfie boy!

By spunky on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 09:54 pm:

By spunky on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 10:03 pm:

And there are some who believe that God is to be put ahead of the desires of man, here is an example

By eri on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 10:53 pm:

Rowlf I would agree with you about the sanctity of marriage thing, if it weren't for the fact that every single homosexual person I know who found their "life partner" wishing that they could get married, ended up leaving their life parter forever and moving far away to escape them. So basically, my experiences have shown that they don't have a stronger bond or stronger belief in the sanctity of marriage. In that respect they are just the same as the rest of us. There are some that are truly committed to each other and some who think it is just fine to get a divorce if you decide you don't like it anymore. There are all kinds and it doesn't change if you are gay or straight. Sexuality doesn't make a difference on marital beliefs.

Other than that, I don't know what to say. Is it really all that suprising? Not really, just suprising that someone is doing something rather than just saying something. I bet there will be couples out there who will be really happy to be able to do this, and there will be others who get divorces, just like everyone else.

By Antigone on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 11:28 pm:

"my experiences have shown that they don't have a stronger bond or stronger belief in the sanctity of marriage"

I've never met a nigger who could read. I guess none of them can...

By eri on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:13 am:

If you blindly think that some person holds a higher sanctity of marriage because of their sexual orientation vs who they are as a person or their personal beliefs, then I feel sorry for you.

Just because someone is of a different sexual orientation does not mean that they think any differently abour relationships than the rest of us. They are just as human as we are.

By spunky on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 08:58 am:

The majority, at least right now, still have a fear of god. They beleive that the "rights" and "freedom" to screw who you want and marry who you want comes second to the will of an almighty creator. if they believe that this creator has told them that homosexuality, beastiality, etc is wrong, then that is the end of the conversation.
    personal opinions be damned at that point.
    And you must admit, humanity has gotten to the point that we feel what we want is far more important then what some book tells us.
    That is EXACTLY what happend before the flood of noah or the two cities that were destroyed with fire and brimstone.

By Antigone on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 10:12 am:

eri:
    "If you blindly think that some person holds a higher sanctity of marriage because of their sexual orientation vs who they are as a person or their personal beliefs, then I feel sorry for you."

You're the only person on this thread who is saying that, so feel sorry for yourself...

By Antigone on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 10:18 am:

"That is EXACTLY what happend before the flood of noah or the two cities that were destroyed with fire and brimstone."

Golly gee, Jed! It must be th' end times!

Git yer bible and yer shovel!!

By Spider on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 10:31 am:

Spunky, for a non-believer you sure do like that apocalyptic imagery.

By spunky on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 10:49 am:

see, antigone.
    you do not see it from a biblical point of view, so you mock it and have decided that those who do beleive it are bass-ackward rednecks, which was the very point I have been trying to make.

By semillama on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 10:59 am:

Hey, eri:

two words: Pilate's family.

By spunky on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 11:31 am:

"In that respect they are just the same as the rest of us"

You all are reading her wrong.
    She has said that there is no difference between how straight and gay couples view the sanctity of messages.

By Spider on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 11:31 am:

Oh, *that* Pilate. :)

Pilate's family is a beautiful thing.

By Antigone on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 11:46 am:

see, dimlu
    I may mock those whom I dissagree with, but religious folk tend to attack and kill those they disagree with. I think my approach is a bit more civilized.

By Spider on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 11:53 am:

Hey, what about me? I'm religious folk, and I espouse a "live and let live" attitude towards other people.

But God help you if you're not Catholic and you try to take Communion. That's the one thing I won't keep my mouth shut over.

By spunky on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 11:59 am:

why is that, spider?
    communion is nothing more then signafying that you have accepted christ in your life and were baptised.

By spunky on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:02 pm:

oh, and Christ did not espouse a "live and let live" attitude. if so, why did he die on the cross? why would God have sent his son to die for our sins? why did Christ preach that such things were against His Father's will?
    Did He not beseach you to follow his example?
    Is not the meaning of the term "Christian" to be Christ Like? are we not commanded to follow his commandments and his example?
    Does forgiveness not entail "go and sin no more"?
    Did He leave the change makers in the temple alone?

By Spider on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:11 pm:

In your church it may be seen that way. (No snark intended.) In the Catholic Church, the Eucharist becomes the real flesh of Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit. This is the what separates Catholicism (and certain Orthodox sects) from all other Christian denominations. When you take Communion in the Catholic Church, you are consuming Jesus. Non-Catholics, Catholics who have not yet been trained to receive Communion, and Catholics who are not in a state of grace are forbidden to take Communion, because they are not in the right state to receive Jesus within their bodies.

This weekend I told my mother (nominally Catholic, but divorced and someone who doesn't go to church every week) that she shouldn't go to Communion. She was upset with me, but hey, she needed to be told (that was my duty). If she had gone to Communion anyway, I wouldn't have said anything further to her.

By spunky on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:16 pm:

please do not take my last post as an attack on your beliefs. God knows (no pun intended) that I no longer follow that path. I was just looking for your point of view

By Spider on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:18 pm:

You admonish the sinner when it seems that they are sinning out of ignorance. That's why I told my mom not to go to Communion -- she's not a well-educated Catholic. Some people honestly don't know better.

If you know the person does know better and is still sinning, what can you do? I'm not Jesus, I can't change their hearts. I can only show by my example that, say, *not* telling someone they're going to hell or *not* destroying my life with drugs is the right thing to do. If they're someone close to me (a relative, a close friend), I might say that I don't think they're making a good decision, but after that, it's up to them to decide to "go and sin no more."

By spunky on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:23 pm:

I wish my mom thought that way.
    I will never get over her attempts to "cast the demons out of me".....

By eri on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:48 pm:

I never said any of what is implied above. I don't appreciate my views being twisted. I am not against gay marriages. I was commenting on this post by Antigone"

"my experiences have shown that they don't have a stronger bond or stronger belief in the sanctity of marriage"

I've never met a nigger who could read. I guess none of them can..."

I only said that they are just as human as we are and they are just as likely to have the same faults or beliefs when it comes to marriage as we do. Gay or straight we are all still human. Some think it is OK to fuck whoever you want even if you are married, some are only with their married spouse and some cheat, and everything in between just like straight couples. They are just as human as we are. Sexuality doesn't change human nature, doesn't change how the mind works, it only changes the sex of the person you are with or want to be with.

I am done now.

By patrick on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:56 pm:

wait. you said this:

"So basically, my experiences have shown that they don't have a stronger bond or stronger belief in the sanctity of marriage."

and this

"Rowlf I would agree with you about the sanctity of marriage thing, if it weren't for the fact that every single homosexual person I know who found their "life partner" wishing that they could get married, ended up leaving their life parter forever and moving far away to escape them."

and then you say this

"In that respect they are just the same as the rest of us."

WHAT?

if anyone is twisting, its you.

your posted opinion was contradictory.
    so spunk, eri, maybe its not our fault we are misinterpreting you, maybe you were unclear.

By Antigone on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 01:12 pm:

Yeah, they're twistin'

TWISTIN IN THE WIND!

I've been awake for 25 hours straight.

I've had about 8 hours sleep in the last four days.

Please forgive me if I'm a little twisted myself, at the moment.

By spunky on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 03:33 pm:

Patrick, eri's statement of:
    "In that respect they are just the same as the rest of us."
    Does NOT contradict
    "So basically, my experiences have shown that they don't have a stronger bond or stronger belief in the sanctity of marriage."

look at the ER at the end of the word strong.
    I know plenty of straights that do not have a strong bond.
    Jeane & what's his name
    Paul & Bridgette
    Patricia & whats his name

I do not know very many gay couples that are still with the same person they were with when I met them.
    Jeff was a ho, Jonathan went through as many guys as tissues, V has gone through 4 girls, and Justin got kicked out of LEAGE (did I spell that right, Eri?) because he was there to pick up guys.

By wisper on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 06:54 pm:

i thought eri was clear enough. I got it, anyway.
    anti is twisting on lack of sleep, no doubt.

Hey spider, how often do you see non catholics taking communion? Bad catholics i can understand, but non catholics?
    That seems like a funny picture to me, some guy walking past a church on sunday, walks in giggling, takes the host giggling, walks out.... "SUCKERS!!!!"

Before we went to communion, dad would inspect our hands to make sure they were clean enough to "recieve jesus". If they were messy, well, that was BIG shit for me and my sister.
    I guess you get some quirks when you're raised by a nun.

One day during communion at school, (don't kill me Spider! i was just little!!) i only pretended to take it, and then snuck it home to my mom. She was raised anglican and not very religious so she went to church for our christenings and first communions only, she never went otherwise or had communion herself.
    "wow, it really does taste like styrofoam!"
    I was sworn to secrecy.

Looking back, though terribly sacreligious, i'm sure it was a cute scene. Little girl me taking out my super-secret present for mommy.

By Rowlf on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 06:57 pm:

eri, I wont reiterate what it was, but you very clearly contradicted yourself.

in Canada right now many people are already flocking or planning of vacationing to Ontario to get married, but have/will go back to their home provinces to have their marriage not be recognized... Alberta, New Brunswick, etc... today Chretien outlined that legislation will bec coming within weeks to make gay weddings go forward on a national level...

so eri, spunk, maybe gay people you know have left their partner. One of the few gay people I know is a real slut of a boy. Whatever.

...but the people you knew, they werent married... they were in a relationship. Every straight person I've known has broken up with someone at least once, I wouldnt use that as an argument against their rights to marry. Its not the same.

The point is they are just as capable of having a stable marriage as straight people, and it will be proven by giving them that right. If you don't, anything you say is just hypothesizing. Do you think every gay person is going to marry their mustachioed, leather clad boyfriend of three months? That they will ALL get married and want to raise children?

Do you make every judgment about people based on personal experience?

By spunky on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 07:08 pm:

do you make every judgement about people based on other's experiences, casting aside your own observations? Doubt it.
    Personally, i prefer using personal experience verses third pary hear-say.
    And no, she did not very clearly contradict her self. I did not see any contradiction.

By spunky on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 07:09 pm:

and she never said that gays were not capable of a stable relationship, we just have not seen one yet, for god's sake.

By Rowlf on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 07:24 pm:

Actually I dont make every judgment based on personal experiences. Having worked in retail, I could have told you a lot of jugdments I could have on every race and nationality based solely on their shopping habits.

I'm not saying that personal experience means shit. But theres common sense spunk, that scratches out several layers of your personal experience. For example, former gay people that have joined ministries to try to 'convert' gay people back to being straight. They think its right based on their own personal experience. Well other peoples' personal experiences and common sense, (not to mention facts) tear the shit out of that guy, and thousands more like him.

By patrick on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 07:38 pm:

you have lived in the sticks dimlu. being gay and openly in a relationship is dangerous where you're from. its no wonder you don't know many gay people in successful open relationships.

come to los angeles or any other major city.

granted where i work is not the best example of successful gay and lesbian relationships, being such a prominent gay and lesbian publisher but off the top of my head i can think of......13 different people i know either from work or outside of work who are in stable, seemingly healthy, long-term relationships. In fact, many of them are certified 'domestic partners' which you can do in the city of West Hollywood, making you eligable for state benefits.

By spunky on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 07:44 pm:

Eri and I met at when we worked at AT&T. I worked for Customer Service and Eri worked for inbound telemarketing.
    There was a very large population of gay employees there. Then we moved to California.
    That is where I met jonathan. He was my best friend out there, and MAN was he a SLUT.

By spunky on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 07:44 pm:

but, yes, patrick, the first 20-22 years of my life were in the sticks, and yes, you get outed you are basically dead.

By semillama on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 10:20 am:

Dan Savage had a column recently where he compared being gay to being a vietnam vet - basically, he was saying that being gay in this society means having a much higher degree of stress in your life than if you are straight, similar to the difference between stress levels of civilians and combat vets. So it's possible that gay men may have a harder time in keeping dating relationships stable due to this background stress. I think i paraphrased that right, but you can go read for yourself at theonion.com.

By spunky on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 10:39 am:

If only you knew how much I have changed over the last 8 years

By Antigone on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

Heck, son, we know the past three! :)

By patrick on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 12:48 pm:

i dunno about that concept semmy....sometimes Dan Savage can over step his bounds.

though there are stats to indicate gay men and lesbians are more likely to be alcoholic than straights.

By Spider on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 12:58 pm:

The suicide rate among gay and lesbian teenagers is higher than among heterosexual teens, which is no surprise.

By semillama on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 01:40 pm:

Well, Savage's comparison is an exaggeration for sure. but the basic premise is valid, i think.

By Rowlf on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 06:26 pm:

Dan Savage? Pff, feel lucky you're stuck with Dan Savage. We've got Sky Gilbert, the man who thinks that it was a conspiracy that Clay Aiken lost, that AIDS doesnt exist, and that everyone is gay, and not just a little.

By Janny on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 02:59 am:

Back in the Sar's,you don't know how lucky you are,"cough" back in the Sar's,well those chineese girls really knock me out,I love those masks they wear...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact