R.I.P - Barry White

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: R.I.P - Barry White
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Monday, July 7, 2003 - 01:47 pm:

Soul Man Barry White Dies

By Marcus Errico

Barry White, whose baritone pipes provided the soundtrack for many a make-out session during the past four decades, died Friday morning in Los Angeles, according to his longtime manager, Ned Shankman.

A publicist said White was 56, but most musical references list his birthdate as September 12, 1944, making him 58.

White passed away around 9:30 a.m. at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. The deep-voiced funkmeister had been in ill health for years. Chronic high blood pressure resulted in kidney failure, and White was admitted to the hospital last September to await a transplant. While undergoing dialysis treatment in May, he suffered a stroke that impaired his speech and left him partially paralyzed.

By sarah on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 01:17 pm:

god he was so young! what a loss.

you know who else died recently? Uncle Jed, from the Beverly Hillbillies.

By semillama on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 02:30 pm:

'Gods Must Be Crazy' star found dead

TANGENI AMUPADHI
    NAMIBIA'S world-famous actor, Gcao Coma, who starred in 'The Gods Must Be Crazy', died in the Tsumkwe area last week.
    The cause of his death will be determined in the next few days after an autopsy is completed.
    The diminutive film star, also known as N!xau or G!kau, died on Wednesday while walking alone near his village.

Coma was found lying in the path to his home with his bow, arrows, and a bag strapped across his shoulder, Police spokesman Warrant Officer Christopher Munyika said yesterday.
    Police confirmed his death, saying he was 59, although he had in the past said he was not sure of his age.
    He had suffered from TB (tuberculosis) for years.
    Munyika said his body was still at the mortuary waiting for a post-mortem to be performed.

A speaker of Ju/'hoansi, one of several clicking-sound languages spoken in former Bushmanland, Coma catapulted from the sandswept remote areas of the Kalahari Desert to international stardom in the 1980s with his leading role in the film about primitive lifestyles colliding with modernity.

In 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' the community chose Coma to get rid of a "cursed" alien object that "dropped from the sky" - a Coca-Cola bottle that was thrown from a plane flying over their area. The bottle caused unhappiness in the community with children fighting over it and hitting each other. So Coma had to walk to the end of the world and throw it away.

The film became a worldwide hit and raked in US$66 million (N$495 million at today's rates) at the box office. At the time the film was the most successful foreign movie ever shown in the United States.

When South African film director Jamie Uys discovered Coma, the Namibian had had little exposure to the outside world. He lived a hunter-gatherer life - one of the world's oldest cultures which had survived thousands of years unchanged in southern Africa. Coma had only seen three white people before he starred in the film.

He went on to star in several sequels and to act in movies made in China, Hong Kong and Japan.

His first pay-out disappeared quickly with many hangers-on taking advantage of the illiterate actor's ignorance of the cash economy. Some speculated that he left cash lying about at his rudimentary house to be blown away by wind or be eaten up by hyenas. Reports said a Rolex watch and radios he received in Japan during a promotional tour were left lying in the bush as he trekked with fellow nomadic tribesman, because he did not attach value to the material world.

But he received a pay-out said to be N$150 000 in the late 1980s, which he used to build a brick house at Tsumkwe for N$80 000. He also bought a bakkie for N$15 000 and employed a chauffeur to drive him around.

But Coma gave all that up to return to village life. More than a decade later, Coma complained of being short-changed by the film-makers.
    But Uys's company, Mimosa Films, always insisted they took care of his best interests.

Coma tried stock farming, keeping no more than 20 cattle at a time to enable him to keep track of his wealth as his arithmetic was rudimentary.
    He sold some cattle and goats, and lost others to lions that roam that part of north-east Namibia.

By 2000, Coma had a plot of land at Gamsa village where he planted maize, pumpkins and beans. Coma had several children from two marriages, but his wives had died. It is not clear whether he had another wife at the time of his death. He is also survived by grandchildren.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 02:45 pm:

How come everyone is dying?

By patrick on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 02:55 pm:

its the perception thereof.

how long has hollywood been in existance? a little more than a 100 years?

By spunky on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 03:05 pm:

I absolutely loved The Gods Must Be Crazy

By eri on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 04:59 pm:

I have never even heard of it.

By Crock O Shite on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 05:12 pm:

In this age of mass media we will eventually
    have a long list of celebrities that die every
    day.

By semillama on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 06:22 pm:

I can't wait.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 07:52 pm:

theres still a list of them that are getting up there that will be a really big deal when they go...

Carson
    Letterman
    Johnny Cash

and even the really minor deaths make news, like that dude who played Beckys' boyfriend on Roseanne...

By Vilnius viper on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 09:27 pm:

for what its worth,and back to barry white,i see this young black man in a car spares shop,many years ago,and i say PARDON ME,BUT DID I NOT SEE YOU IN AN ADVERT FOR BARRY WHITE RECORDS? he say YOU SHO DID SUH,DATS WHY AZ SPENDIN SO MUCH CASH ON SOUPIN UP MA CAR.i expect he will miss barry white more than enyone else.

By Skooter on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 01:00 pm:

Hey Sem, remember when I had a Barry White vision on some magical fungus?
    Love Unlimited Orchestra....Then he spoke to me and said "Hey Mike, I know you trippin...It's cool."
    Or the record that we played over and over where Barry said..."I'm taking my time when I slip your little panties off."
    Has anyone here seen Da Ali G show? I'm a huge fan.

By semillama on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:44 am:

Christ I forgot about that! That was fun.

What have you been up to? I've been meaning to email you but been up to my eyeballs in work. I like your song on the Misery album - I didn't know it was you at first, you've really improved as a singer (plus I never expected you to belt out blues like some giant black lady in church).

By patrick on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 03:09 pm:

right now, here 11am PST

http://www.kcrw.org click on simulcast

they are airing a tape of a show with Barry White, made about 3 years ago.

its with the same cat who did the Radiohead interview last week.

By spunky on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 03:29 pm:

I dont beleive barry white existed.
    I have never seen him.
    All I have seen is photos. The music is probably a fraud too.
    I think this is all a conspiracy to sell more albums.

By patrick on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 03:43 pm:

if you arent listening to this, you should. Barry is guest DJ-ing.

By spunky on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 03:59 pm:

Just messing, mister

By Skooter on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 12:23 pm:

That's an awesome complement Sem! Wait till I send you the full length album, which I've been meaning to burn you a copy of. It turned out wonderful.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact