Howard Dean

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Howard Dean
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 05:03 pm:

There's been significant press recently about Howard Dean and his innovative method of generating support and donations. The internet.

Moreover, the success of it.

Call it a bandwagon, but Im jumping aboard. Why? Several reasons.

His politics are most closest to mine of all the other wankers out there.

Further, i think to release the current neo-con's grip on thecountry, requires innovation and creativity.

I think Dean has that capability.

I think the momentum is there.

Maybe im being optimist.

Lets face it, the majority did NOT vote for Bush in the last election. Its right there for the taking if only Democrats and/or liberals had the balls to take a stand on something, and stick with it. Right now, Democrats have no cojones. None.

Liberman doesnt. Gephardt just needs to go away. Kerry is a waffling wanker just as that rookie from NC. Graham just....I dunno....seeing his name just makes me think of the evangelist Graham. Kuscinich or whatever his name is....well, his poltics, sounds as if they are close to mine as well, but thus far, he has yet to make an impact.

So, as of today, a year and 3 months away from the election, im tossing my hat for Howard Dean.

let the games begin.

By semillama on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 06:31 pm:

I've come to pretty much the same conclusion as you. Strangely, I've heard that some republicans think he'll be the easiest to beat. WTF? out of a field that includes Al Sharpton and Dick Gephardt, they think DEAN is the easiest to beat?

( I just had a mental image of a Bush/Sharpton debate - and the SNL writers absolutely going nuts trying to satirize something like that)

By patrick on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 06:48 pm:

Dean scares the democratic party, which is a good thing.

the democratic party has become too scared to ...*GUFFAW* DISAGREEEEEEEE with republicans, they only stick their neck out when its safe.

if he's scaring the pussies at the democratic party headquarters, he's doing something right.

By semillama on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 08:20 pm:

THose motherfuckers better pay attention, because this is going to be their candidate.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 09:45 pm:

"Strangely, I've heard that some republicans think he'll be the easiest to beat."

Not so strange. Maybe they say that because they don't want him to become the candidate...

By Rowlf on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 07:33 pm:

exactly tiggy, which is why they're still trying to subtly backing Lieberman. Easy to beat and the Reps can get a lot of their ideas through with him around. And if Lieberman did win, you know he'd be so awful he'd be guaranteed to be a one-term president...

By Rowlf on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 07:44 pm:

one of the best reasons to vote for Dean, if you ask me:

the only politician to openly say he will repeal key sections of Patriot Act I, and stop all future expansions of Patriot Act.

By Platypus on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 11:46 pm:

He wants national health.

I mean, so did Clinton, but still.

Did anyone else read the article in the Times about him? Wait, my times is probably different than the rest of the nation's. Well, in the Northern California edition he made the front page and all.

By semillama on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:04 am:

Where have you been Rowlf? You and spunky stopped posting the same time, and you just know my insane brain instantly thought "ah-ha! They are the same person, arguing with themselves!!! Just like the movies"

well, not really.

By Rowlf on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 06:38 pm:

slow news days I guess sem...

Computer problems. lack of time. meh.

By Antigone on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 07:30 pm:

If they are the same person, they sure are damn entertaining.

On the same subject, I've learned to have interactions with internet folk without worrying too much about their identity. I've found that being that way actually helps me be a better person in meatspace.

By Rowlf on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 07:31 pm:

"meatspace"

I'm going to use that

By Antigone on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 08:02 pm:

Zha Zha Gabotionists in Meatspace?

By Rowlf on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 08:46 pm:

hey Patrick, have you given any consideration to switching over to Gen. Clark's camp should he run?

By Nate on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:47 am:

i decided that if i were to vote i'd vote for dean.

provided the dems can get him to the general election.

By Lapis on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 02:11 am:

So far he sounds like the best, but I haven't heard anything about anyone else except for Bush and we know too much about him already.

By patrick on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:49 pm:

actually, what im hearing rowlf is that Clark may join Dean's camp. If that pans out true, i think they have the best shot of knocking Bush/Cheney on their ass.

Clark is very considerable thought, indeed. handsome, well-spoken, and former general and most of all former NATO commander. The Dems's could address their typical weakness when it comes to security and military. Clark has world wide respect....to rebuild a foreign policy that Bush has made a mess of.

But Sam and I hashed this out the other night, and he's of the opinion, that all of sudden we'll "capture" bin laden or hussein, say next spring or summer. Something he can ride right into Nov. A bit conspiratorial I know, but whats to say they don't have either one of those guys as of right now? Who the hell really knows? Whats to stop them from pulling one of those guys, dead or alive out of their Karl Rovian hat?

If Dean can get Clark on board, I think they have damned fine shot at it.

By Lapis on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 08:09 pm:

That doesn't sound too unlikely. No wonder some reporters can't ask questions at press conferences anymore.

Has anyone read Doonesbury lately? The little girl started a riot yealling the name of Dean's dog.

By eri on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:06 pm:

OK, I'll show my ignorance yet again......what is the name of Dean's dog?

By Lapis on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:17 pm:

Kasey.

I didn't know what it is either, I'm going to guess it's true.

By semillama on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:20 am:

No matter if Bush gets re-elected, he and his whole administration are setting themselves up for one hell of a Golden Handshake after they leave office.

By Ophelia on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 03:25 pm:

i like Dean, too. and i LOVE vermont. vermonters are really amused by watching the nation's reaction to Dean as such a liberal candidate, since up here a lot of people wouldn't vote for him because he wasn't liberal enough.

from here its hard to judge what sort of national support he'd have against bush, since he has a lot of new england support, esp. vermonters (including a lot of those who didn't support him originally).

By Rowlf on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 03:39 pm:

the only problem with dean - he's obviously liberal, and he shies away from the term so much. Clark does not..

Considering that in order to be president you have to be from the south (well, you do!), if they're together on the ticket I still think Clark should lead and Dean should be running mate

By semillama on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 04:03 pm:

never happen. Dean/Clark would be pretty strong, though. You don't have to be from the south to be president. Reagan was from California. Bush I was from the Northeast. Bush the lesser lives in Texas but is a transplant.

Maybe you meant you had to be from the south to be elected as a Democrat?

By Platypus on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 08:55 pm:

What about Dean/Clark? That's been bandied about a bit lately.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:39 pm:

thats what i mentioned up there.

apparently, according to this mornings news, thats not going to happen.

Clark is gonna do it on his own.

But then again, that could be the strategy all along.

Run a campaign for the title, and them meld two popular campaigns into one...build the momentum?

I dunno.

By Nate on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:43 pm:

you don't declare a running mate until after the primary, do you?

i'm looking forward to the clark/dean ticket. or the dean/clark ticket.

i'm more looking forward to the gene and dean ticket for sept. 27th.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:50 pm:

im not sure what the protocall is.

like i hypthosized, perhaps they both will run seperate campaigns, and then consolidate, if one or the other makes it through the primary.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:50 pm:

protocol

By spunky on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:02 pm:

who's gene?

I would like to see clark get the demo nod

By Nate on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:25 pm:

gene ween. dean ween's brother.

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:06 pm:

you seen dean's ween?

By TBone on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:36 pm:

They're coming here Oct 8th.

By semillama on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:37 pm:

I exposed the office to 'Quebec' today and made one new Ween convert.

By TBone on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:48 pm:

What are your feelings on The Beta Band?

By Lapis on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:55 pm:

Ween!

I've been listening to them almost nonstop this week.

By TBone on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:57 pm:

It's addictive, isn't it?

By Nate on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:07 pm:

i have an extra ticket for the 27th.

By semillama on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 08:15 pm:

dunno about the Beta Band, I would have to listen to an album. I find it hard to judge a group on one song, usually.

By Lapis on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 08:28 pm:

Yes. So good. That and kickball antics make me want to watch the "Weeeee!" animation again.

By TBone on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:24 pm:

I'd suggest "The Three EPs."
    What song have you heard?

By semillama on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 02:22 pm:

i can't rememeber. It was about 4 years ago.

By Lapis on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 03:20 pm:

Played Risk last night at this music boyhouse with a big old cd changer set on random. The more notable music was Valkeries, Electrons (? sang in French) and Tori Amos.

Then Ween comes on and it's like "Yeaaaaa! I've got the moon and there's so many people in the neighborhood!"

By Rowlf on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:11 pm:

the 3 EPS is the essential Beta Band release. the others are kinda disposable... most people have heard "dry the rain" one place or another, and one of the songs was used in a car commercial...

By wisper on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:23 pm:

so Nate, what are you saying exactly re: extra ticket?

I've spelt extra wrong 3 times today. exrta.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:30 pm:

Is 'spelt' a word? should it be "spelled"?

By Rowlf on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:35 pm:

nevermind. it is a word, consarnit.

its also a kind of wheat grown in Europe!

By Rowlf on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:36 pm:

By Nate on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:49 pm:

he also almost got us into WWIII when the Rooskies took over that airport before Nato K-For could during the whole kosovo thing.

not to mention that he raised money for the republicans a few years back.

wisper- extra ween ticket.

By Antigone on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:56 pm:

"he also almost got us into WWIII when the Rooskies took over that airport"

Yeah, funny that those same Republicans gave the Clinton administration a whole heap of shit about "giving" the Pristna airport to the Russians...

By Rowlf on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 08:01 pm:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/9/17/10044.shtml

this rant against clark is much more amusing, especially if you look at the picture of Dan Frisa first... calling him a traitor, the leader of the "pinko parade"

why does every right wing pundit suggest a Hillary/Clark ticket is going to happen? are there people who actually want that? the only interesting aspect to that would be the idea of a Clinton defeating a Bush -- twice!

By Nate on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 08:41 pm:

it's all the same
    only the names have changed

so, i hope dean or clark wins. or whatever. the democrat. then, suddenly, roles will be reversed. offense becomes defense. spunky becomes patrick. semen melts on your quivering belly. ne'er an ounce of truth. all pigs at the trough.

By Platypus on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 11:29 pm:

ewww hillary.

i think dean/clark ticket would be a good call. or clark/dean. whatever. they both have wide, er, fan bases or whatever.

i got my voter information guide and am reading it with joy. Californians in the house, check out page 18 and Trek Thunder Kelly: "Dear Voters, Please vote for me, thus breaking the Seventh Seal and incurring Armageddon."

i am not shitting you.

By Antigone on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 02:14 pm:

Rowlf asks: "why does every right wing pundit suggest a Hillary/Clark ticket is going to happen?"

Platypus answers: "ewww hillary."

By Platypus on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 09:29 pm:

Yeah, like I said ewww hillary. I think the right wing would be secretly gleeful to see a hillary/clark ticket. Or is it just up here that I see "stop hillary" bumperstickers everywhere? I can't stand the woman.

Rowlf, it has been bandied about in the media a lot, that's why. While the demo's would be more than happy to mount a female candidate, thus showing their commitment to diversity, etc, I don't think hillary would be a good choice.

But hey, that's just me.

By Rowlf on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

i think its the Reps trying to trick the Dems into getting someone that actually falls quite into line with Republican ideas.

like how they kinda actually supported Joe Liebermann and Bill Clinton. supposedly they thought of them as 'evil libbies', but we all know they stuck up for most of Clintons policies, as they tended to continue what Bush Sr. had done before.

By Platypus on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 02:24 am:

Arrr!

I thinks so too, matey!

I think they would be stoked to have Billary in office. Maybe even Clark. Dean, not so much. He managed to successfully run a state (small, granted) on fairly liberal policies...

By dave. on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 12:35 am:

By V.v on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 02:10 pm:

Dave,you need to get on-line a lot more often.

By The Children on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:07 pm:

is it good For The Children™©®?

By V.v. on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 06:11 pm:

I expect so,Daves o.k.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 06:43 pm:

JUDICIAL WATCH SUES HOWARD DEAN OVER SECRET RECORDS

ACCESS TO PUBLIC RECORDS LAWSUIT FILED IN VERMONT STATE COURT

(Washington, DC) Judicial Watch, the public interest group that investigates and prosecutes government corruption, announced today that it filed a lawsuit in Vermont to gain access to hundreds of thousands of documents concerning the administration of former Vermont Governor Howard Dean. In addition to Dean, the lawsuit names the State of Vermont, the Vermont Secretary of State, and Vermont’s State Archivist as defendants. Judicial Watch had sought and was repeatedly denied access to Governor Dean’s records from his tenure as governor. Governor Dean has cited his presidential run as the basis for denying the public access to these government records, reportedly telling Vermont Public Radio, “Well, there are future political considerations. We didn’t want anything embarrassing appearing in the papers at a critical time in any future endeavor.” Judicial Watch uncovered, through a public records request, that, in negotiating the agreement to seal the records, lawyers for Dean and Vermont state officials repeatedly discussed Dean’s presidential campaign as a basis for keeping the records secret.

In its lawsuit, filed this afternoon in Vermont state court in Montpelier, Judicial Watch asks the state court to provide it, the media, and the public access to upwards of 400,000 records being withheld from public scrutiny pursuant to an unprecedented agreement between Dean and the State of Vermont. The records in dispute would otherwise not be made public for 10 years. Dean had initially sought to keep these records sealed for 24 years. Vermont law provides for expedited court consideration of this lawsuit.

(Judicial Watch has also filed two lawsuits to gain access to the records of Vice President Cheney’s Energy Task Force. Dean had criticized Vice President Cheney for withholding these records from public scrutiny.)

“It is unlawful for Governor Dean to deny the public access to his gubernatorial records because of ‘future political considerations.’ We hope the Vermont courts will agree that it is in the public interest that Dean and the State of Vermont immediately unseal these important records,” stated Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton.

By Antigone on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 06:49 pm:

Ah, the suit against Cheney’s Energy Task Force is a sham. If they were serious about it they would have made some headway by now. What do they have? Jack shit.

By semillama on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:10 pm:

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 07:35 pm:

dean looks rabid in the movie poster

speaking of the kitty fetuses thing.. in the recent Ontario election, an underling of then-premier (equiv of governor) Ernie Eves called what became our new premier, Dalton McGuinty, an evil reptilian kitten eater from another planet...

for reals. it probably cost him the election more than Eves own mistakes while in office did

By wisper on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 02:16 pm:

i need a bumper sticker that says 'I voted for the evil reptilian kitten eater'

:)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact