RIP Johnny Cash

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: RIP Johnny Cash
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rowlf on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 09:30 am:

I'm very upset. considering calling into work sick...

By semillama on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 09:32 am:

He heard the train and this time he got on.

By Spider on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 09:41 am:

Man, I heard this news when my alarm set to NPR woke me up. What a story to greet you first thing in the morning. :(

By kazu on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 09:53 am:

I don't like how my tummy feels right now. :(

By Spider on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 10:12 am:

By dave. on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 11:20 am:

but. . .they just let him out of the hospital.

i wonder if he just didn't want to die in a hospital so they released him saying everything's ok to keep the press away.

shit.

By J on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 11:58 am:

I don't know Dave they told me my mom was better when they released her from the nursing home,I picked her up on Sat.,took her to her doctor on Mon.,they put her in hospice on Tue. and she died Wed. night.I'm still in shock.I kind of figured he wouldn't last long after June died.My s/o is distantly related to June.John Ritter though,that's a shock.I did use to watch Three's Company back in the day,never watched his new series,but saw him on Hollywood Squares sometimes and he was really funny.What a shitty day.

By Skooter on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 12:02 pm:

Yea. That's how I started my day also. Laying in bed, taking an early morning toke...."Honey, Johhny Cash just died..." said my wife from the computer.
    I cried a little bit, I'm still in shock but not surprised.
    I just listened to his version of Rusty Cage...."I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run...."
    Guess he did just that. He wasa legend like Davy Crockett and the Lone Ranger and Paul Bunyan.
    All long gone now.
    I feel alone and sad.

By Skooter on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 12:08 pm:

I just listened to "Hurt", tears started streaming down my face. I'm still crying as I type this.
    This is really heavy.

By patrick on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 12:54 pm:

thats one song, im pretty sure i'll avoid today.

jesus skooter. let me why don i just get some razors for you.

of course as i type it doesnt help that NPR is playing it .

GOD DAMMIT!

It wasn't a shock.

There was a blue train a coming....when his wife died a couple of months ago.

So, after plowing some beers in the backyard last night and promising my gut I wouldnt drink tonight, I now have a reason.

But for god's sake, do yourself a favor, try not to listen to the saddest song in the world like skooter did. Go put in Folsom Prison Blues and dance and sing a bit.

Its so easy to get sad, its harder to be joyous and celebrate a genuine American treasure.

bless you johnny.

bless you for the 100s and 100s of stories.

By semillama on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 01:33 pm:

Yeah, listen to "Boy Named Sue" and laugh and celebrate his life.

By Skooter on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 03:32 pm:

Have you ever heard that story about him being on the brink of suicide, crawling into a cave in North Carolina to die?
    He said he felt the presence of God tell him that he wasn't done living yet....it told him to get up and get out of there.
    That same spirit just showed up again this morning in Tennesee.
    I'm happy that he's making music with Warren Zevon and Wesley Willis in the stars tonight.
    There will be a heck of a jam session.

By Skooter on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 03:32 pm:

P.S. It's thunderstorming here and raining buckets.

By eri on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 04:37 pm:

It thunderstormed and rained tons here last night. I looked out the kitchen window and the water was halfway up to the windowsill. I guess it was about 24" deep there. Opened the front door and it was about 1/4" below the door jam. I suspect a flash flood went thru here like it did last summer. I wanted to go out to the creek and see how deep it was cuz last time it was like this it went from 18" deep to about 10 feet deep covering the bridge to the apartments. But it was late, and the kids were asleep and I was in my jammies so I didn't go out there.

I got out of the shower today to hear spunky playing Johnny Cash singing Personal Jesus.......

By Rowlf on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 06:13 pm:

songs Cash sang I'm specificially avoiding today

Hurt
    Danny Boy
    Give My Love to Rose
    We'll Meet Again... well, all of American IV

I'll probably try to avoid his music entirely, for today... and I just got the new A Perfect Circle several days early so I guess I have a distraction...

Not that John Ritter dying isnt big news, because he's still a pretty big TV star, but I'm sad to see yahoo has his death as their no. 1 headline (it was ahead of "US troops kill 8 Iraqi police" for a while) and Cash isn't listed on their main page...

By Rowlf on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 06:23 pm:

hey wow I just found out John Ritter is son of country music legend Tex Ritter. Weird. never woulda thunk it.

By J on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 06:31 pm:

I think it's wierd that Letterman is going to be a dad at 56,he must be fucking nuts,so when his spawns 18 he'll be 74 if he lives that long.I wonder if he did it cause he jealous of Conan?

By Rowlf on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

According to the johnnycash.com site, Johnny was in the middle of recording a new album for American recordings.

which means there are still a few songs that could probably be released posthumously...

By wisper on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 07:05 pm:

" Elvis Costello, who once recorded with Cash, called him "a great, great man. ... He made me feel very welcome in his home and I will never forget that."

"It's a sad day in Tennessee, but a great day in Heaven," said Merle Kilgore, best man at their wedding. "

gonna cry.

By wisper on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 07:09 pm:

but you know, hearing about sweet sweet Dave Letterman makes me very happy. I didn't even know he had a girlfriend.

It's been a point of sadness my whole life that he's known as a mostly miserable and lonely person, prone to crying fits and divorced twice all that.

Because i love Dave.

By Hal on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 11:31 pm:

Holy Shit.

And i have to work tonight too, this is gonna suck.

By Kebron on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 02:14 am:

The love for one of the greatest country singers in history being shown in this thread is great. I just know that he will be remembered for many years to come I have been a country fan for most of my life. One of my favorite songs I heard him in was "The devil comes back to Georga". And of course the many songs listed in this thread plus many more are not to be forgotten by me either. Similar to Spider it was the first thing I heard this morning. I woke up just before 7:00 and put on the Today show and they opened it up with the news of Johnny and John, it basically made my day shit because I did like many others grow up with Johnny since I grew up in a country music home. But talking to a friend today helped. Although it is obvious I will still say it. I will miss Johnny and John VERY much. Gods be with you two and may your future journeys be as great to you as this one was for us with your work

K

By kazu on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 10:47 am:

Hal,

How was work? Were people wicked upset and shit?

By Hal on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:57 am:

No just a bunch of college student morons, who were like oooo who cares.

Fuck'em, they were more concerened that John Ritter died, morons.

By wisper on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:05 am:

it's still sad. It always will be.

Listening to some old 'greatest hits' album in the car today, and the trademark
    "Hello....I'm Johnny Cash." His little chuckle.

damnit

i hate country music. I love Johnny Cash.

remember? on the simpsons?

By Hal on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:44 am:

See, I could care less that John Ritter is dead.

However the Man in black will live forever as far as I'm concerned.

By Lapis on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:59 am:

My mom was more concerned about John Ritter ("he's my generation!" she practically shrieked), I was about Johnny Cash.

I'm not a big fan of country music but I've listened to a little recently. Not the new stuff; a little Dolly and a little Cash.

By eri on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 05:13 am:

I have always loved Johnny Cash even though I don't like country music. Listening to him reminds me of my childhood, and of my Dad, when I was young and he was around. So the music this man made had some really great memories for me.

I am dissapointed to hear about John Ritter, but not nearly as much as Johnny Cash. I dunno. I guess it kinda wigs me out cuz he is younger than my Dad. People younger than my Dad have been dying a lot in the past couple of years and I have this weird fear that he may be next, though no reasoning for it whatsoever. So I just wig on John Ritter thinking that he was so young.

By Hal on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:51 am:

Nah best thing I've ever heard from Johnny Cash, was him covering NIN songs. I swear to god, I mean you always hear some new age band doing covers of old music. But very rarely do you hear old musicians covering new music. Its absolutly inspiring.

By Lapis on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 10:24 am:

Right.

Though NIN is pretty good in itself, I'm not a terrible fan but anyone covering or working with NIN seems to do a great job.

Sometimes the covers are the real test.

By Hal on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:53 am:

Seek it out, The man in black does something I didn't think could be done.

By semillama on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:25 am:

You should hear his stuff with the Outlaws - damn good.

Did you know that Merle Haggard was in the audience for the live Folsom prison recordings? That show it was inspired him to do what he did once he got out.

By patrick on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 01:00 pm:

right sem

was it...what waylon jennings, willie nelson and kris kristofferson?

friday i left work early to keep my nanny bill within reason. went and bought a couple of Cash concept albums that I had been putting off. bought a bottle of knob creek whisky (they were out of Makers) and sat on angry's sams porch listening until the bottle was done.

pez, i think, soon, you'll come to realize that the likes of Cash, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Sr. and even Dolly transcend labels "country" "rock" "blues" etc. They only apply those labels so the idiots in record stores know where to put them.

Johnny is the only artist to be in the Country AND Rock Halls of Fame

the man gave us over 1500 songs and hundreds of albums.

NO BE SAD!

BE THANKFUL!

By Spider on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 01:19 pm:

It saddens me that John Ritter died on his daughter's birthday.

My uncle L's dad died on L's 16th birthday, and he still gets depressed on that day, 38 years later.

I feel bad for that little girl.

By eri on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 01:48 pm:

That is just sad. My aunt died on my Dad's birthday and was buried on my cousin's birthday. It's a sad week for us.

By semillama on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 02:04 pm:

Actually Patrick, besides Johnny Cash, Hank Williams and Elvis Presley are also in both halls of fame.

But neither of those guys could have gotten away with "Delia's Gone"!

By Ophelia on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 03:59 pm:

this made me really sad when i heard it on NPR on saturday. it also bummed me out that i felt kind of alone in noticing it, since most of my close friends probably are only half aware of who he is. another friend who i'm getting to know better invited me to a party dedicated to Johnny Cash's life this friday, though, so that made me feel better, and it will be good to listen to some of that great music with other people on campus who care.

By kazu on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 06:29 pm:

My grandfather died this year on my dad's birthday.

By agatha on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:50 pm:

waaaaaaaah.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact