here comin a wave!

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: here comin a wave!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 06:38 pm:

there was this earthquake somewhere japanish and there is a big wave comin.

EARTHQUAKE DATA:
    PRELIMINARY MAGNITUDE: 8.0
    TIME: 1150 ADT 09/25/2003
    1250 PDT 09/25/2003
    1950 UTC 09/25/2003

EVALUATION:
    A TSUNAMI HAS BEEN GENERATED WHICH COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE PACIFIC COAST. THEREFORE PERSONS IN LOW LYING COASTAL AREAS SHOULD BE ALERT TO INSTRUCTIONS FROM THEIR LOCAL EMERGENCY OFFICIALS. PERSONS ON THE BEACH SHOULD MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND IF IN A WARNED AREA. TSUNAMI WAVE HEIGHTS CANNOT BE PREDICTED. TSUNAMIS MAY BE A SERIES OF WAVES WHICH COULD BE DANGEROUS FOR SEVERAL HOURS AFTER THE INITIAL WAVE ARRIVAL.

SAN FRANCISCO,CA 2306 PDT SEP 25

of course, it isn't a big big wave. not here. maybe in japanish or alaska.

By Platypus on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 08:03 pm:

According to fark, the warning just got cancelled.

Probably just as well, I remember the last time there was a tsunami warning we all went to the beach like idiots to watch. Good times!

By Nate on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 08:26 pm:

bah. oh well. it wasn't supposed to be a tsumani down here anyway.

i'm still going down to the beach at 10:50p and smoking a bowl. at worst, i'll be stoned watching the nightsurf.

darn.

By Platypus on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 08:47 pm:

Good call. I might do that myself, minus the bowl and plus brownies.

By Hal on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 11:27 pm:

Nate, Platy, I envy you both.

By Nate on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:40 am:

well

nothing strange to report. at least, not regarding the waves. but it is a nice night.

By Platypus on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:32 pm:

It was a fucking great night.

Holy God, was it.

Quite possibly the best night I've had in months, and maybe all year. Yes indeedy.

By sarah on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:36 pm:

when that big earthquake hit Kobe in October 1994, a tsunami was predicted to hit hawaii shortly thereafter. the whole state shut down the day it was to arrive. all islanders and visitors were banned from a one-mile radius of the perimeter of all islands. hotels and homes and businesses were evacuated. schools were closed. everyone sat at home and watched the news.

when the actual tsunami wave they had been tracking from japan hit hawaii, it was measured at a towering 6 inches.

------------

October 4, 1994

3:23am Hawaii Standard Time (HST)
    Hokkaido, Japan: An earthquake occurred at 3:23am HST northeast of Hokkaido, Japan. The earthquake measured 8.5 on the Richter Scale and a tsunami was generated. The epicenter is located at 42.9N latitude, 147.2E longitude.

4:25am HST
    A Pacific wide tsunami warning was issued at 4:25am HST. Estimated time of arrival in the Hawaiian islands is 10:29am HST at Nawiliwili Harbor on Kauai.

6:30am HST
    Civil Defense sirens are sounded alerting residents to the tsunami warning condition. Low-lying areas of all islands are being evacuated by Hawaii Civil Defense; visitors are being instructed to return to their hotels; all public schools are closed, including the University of Hawaii; state offices are closed, except emergency services; airports remain open and are operating normal schedules.

7:45am HST
    Wake Island: Preliminary wave heights are fairly small -- 2"-3" wave action reported at Wake Island as of 7:45am HST.

8:30am HST
    Guam: 1-1/2 foot waves observed on Guam. Tsunami warning has been cancelled in Guam

10:30am HST
    Kauai: Minimal observed effects on Kauai. Waimea side experienced slight surge. Waimea River -- water receded to the ocean, then returned; no damage.

10:45am HST
    Oahu: No observed effects on Oahu.

11:00am HST
    Hawaii: 1 foot waves observed in Hilo Bay.

12:10pm HST
    Tsunami warning cancelled.

By patrick on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 01:13 pm:

8.5 though.

thats some serious shaking.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact