Marriage Protection Week

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Marriage Protection Week
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:45 pm:

Marriage Protection Week, 2003
    By the President of the United States of America
    A Proclamation

Marriage is a sacred institution, and its protection is essential to the continued strength of our society. Marriage Protection Week provides an opportunity to focus our efforts on preserving the sanctity of marriage and on building strong and healthy marriages in America.

Marriage is a union between a man and a woman, and my Administration is working to support the institution of marriage by helping couples build successful marriages and be good parents.

To encourage marriage and promote the well-being of children, I have proposed a healthy marriage initiative to help couples develop the skills and knowledge to form and sustain healthy marriages. Research has shown that, on average, children raised in households headed by married parents fare better than children who grow up in other family structures. Through education and counseling programs, faith-based, community, and government organizations promote healthy marriages and a better quality of life for children. By supporting responsible child-rearing and strong families, my Administration is seeking to ensure that every child can grow up in a safe and loving home.

We are also working to make sure that the Federal Government does not penalize marriage. My tax relief package eliminated the marriage penalty. And as part of the welfare reform package I have proposed, we will do away with the rules that have made it more difficult for married couples to move out of poverty.

We must support the institution of marriage and help parents build stronger families. And we must continue our work to create a compassionate, welcoming society, where all people are treated with dignity and respect.

During Marriage Protection Week, I call on all Americans to join me in expressing support for the institution of marriage with all its benefits to our people, our culture, and our society.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim the week of October 12 through October 18, 2003, as Marriage Protection Week. I call upon the people of the United States to observe this week with appropriate programs, activities, and ceremonies.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this third day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand three, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-eighth.

GEORGE W. BUSH

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:47 pm:

This is what really steams me:

"We must support the institution of marriage and help parents build stronger families. And we must continue our work to create a compassionate, welcoming society, where all people are treated with dignity and respect."

Except of course for all the gay and lesbian couples. No compassion, dignity or respect for them. What a hypocrite. what an embarrasment.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:55 pm:

dude, id love it if they just sent out fee lube tubes to married couples during that week.

that would go a long way to preserve the sanctitiy of my marriage.

i mean , not like, in a very very literal sense, but you know, it wouldnt hurt.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

I am against this.

The fed gov has no business stepping in on this.
    What gives ANY government the right to define marriage?

Goddammit.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:19 pm:

If you are going to give legal benefits, then you need a definition of marriage. Just don't pretend you are being compassionate and just to all people if you are excluding same-sex couples.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:57 pm:

Single parenting is a reality, no matter what anyone thinks, it's a reality that isn't going to go away no matter how much the government is invested. And while I do not think that single-parent households are ideal, I do know from experience that it would be much easier to grow up in one if it wasn't so stigmatized. Of course, that does not eliminate the practical burdens (economic and such) of single-parenting, but marriage does not always eliminate this burden either.

I think we should eliminate the LEGAL category of marriage entirely and acknolwedge the broad range of family-types as they exist already. Why should we favor any pairings of people when many families do not and will never reflect any narrowly defined ideal?

I am not opposed to establishing parameters when it comes to distributing resources. I don't think just anyone can and should be considered a domestic partner, just because they live together. And I don't think that any partnership situation should trump the rights of parents who do not live with their children.

However, if (for example) a grandmother is living with her son/daughter and helping to raise his/her children shouldn't she be accorded rights so long as she has established herself responsible and able to care for her grandchildren? If two single mothers/fathers (whether they are siblings or friends) want to buy a house and commit to raising their children together, I don't see why they should be "married" to enjoy the benefits that others get and that they will need to make the most of their living situation. As long as these situations do not infringe on the rights of other parties (parents who do not have custody, for example) then why shouldn't they be acknowledged?

The fact is, despite all the "what if's" (people dying, wanting to get married, etc.) these family structures exist already, all I am suggesting is that they not be excluded as we try to construct a legal definition of what counts as family.

It sounds like a logistical nightmare, but the fact remains that families that fall outside of the ideal are the reality and social policy should acknowledge that.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

"any pairings of people"

by any pairings, I meant "married" pairings, be they homo or hetero. My arguement does favor "pairings" but just opens up what constitutes a pair.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 02:09 pm:

Of course, one might see that as a contradiction in my argument as a whole, but I am also trying to be cognizant of the practical considerations of establishing legal domestic partnerships and the need to set boundaries. But I already said that.

I'll shut up now.

By heatehr on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 02:14 pm:

marriage is fine

but it's also a bunch of shit that just distracts a
    lot of people from many other things

no one should be punished for being, or
    not-being married, by taxes or whatever

[whatever he does right or wrong, bush is an
    asshole. IT'S A SMALL AND PETTY FUCKING
    WORLD SOMETIMES. grrr]

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 02:47 pm:

Yes, it seems it would all be easier if there were no legalities to marriage. but what about divorce? And who gets what? Who gets the kids? How would that be effected by a lack of any legal documentation of marriage? Also, the matter of inheritance.

Perhaps a simple solution would be to issue a recognition of a BOND. That is, two people (we'll deal with polygamy/polyandry later) who wish to be recognized legally as a committed pair for the legal benefits. Leave all issues except the number of people and age of consent out of it.

Anyway, that's what I think about it.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 02:51 pm:

I never said that I wanted to eliminate legal parameters and documentation of partnerships, just that "marriage" as a legal category should be eliminated. I meant that as opposed to whatever cultural-spiritual meanings that people want to retain.

By Nate on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 04:42 pm:

uh.

i just stared for too long at the hypnotoad.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 04:48 pm:

i know. After about 30 seconds, I start giggling.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 04:52 pm:

See, where is any of this power granted to the federal government?

This whole subject is not covered anywhere by the US Constitution. Marriage is between 2 people and elegibility should be determined by the person officiating the ceremony.

Jesus, we really are transforming from a Constitutional Republic to a Moralistic Social Democracy.

By Nate on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 05:11 pm:

you need to look at the hypnotoad, spunk.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 05:28 pm:

i want those 30 seconds of my life back please.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 05:52 pm:

Nah, we're transforming into a Corporate Sham democracy. Courtesy of Diebold and the extremists who've taken over the Republican party. This article from the UK's Independent is pretty comprehensive on how this is occurring through the use of touchscreen voting machines. If this article doesn't scare the crap out of you, you aren't understanding what's going on. All I can say is that absentee ballots look like the way to go if you want your vote to actually count.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 05:54 pm:

All hail the Bush Theocracy!

All hail Hypnotoad!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact