Elliott Smith has died

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Elliott Smith has died
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 10:05 am:

By sarah on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 10:46 am:

what a bummer. he had a heroine problem, didn't he?

By agatha on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

That's really sad.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:07 pm:

i suspected he was doing junk sarah, he and a girlfriend of ours hung out quite a bit and she has all the marks of a junkie and though nico insists she's not, I think otherwise. Knowing her relationship with us, she wouldnt tell us anyway. but in short, yes, junk was around his scene, so maybe.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:37 pm:

This is sad. I read it on Yahoo! and immediately thought of Spider.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:48 pm:

why is it so sad? (rhetorical)

anyone could have seen it coming in his music. the guy ooozed self-inflicted death.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:52 pm:

This totally bums me out. I may not have talked about him much here, but I LOVED Elliott Smith, and I always use him as the chief example of someone who deserves to be more famous. He was so talented...anyone with any taste at all would like his music.

I can listen to "No Name No. 5" on repeat all day and not get tired of it. My best friend and I used to have long arguments over which was better, X/O or Figure 8, when we lived together. We never could decide.

That man could make "everything means nothing to me" sound like the sweetest thing.

Goddamnit.

By agatha on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 03:39 pm:

It's sad when anyone dies, Patrick, and it's also sad because he won't make any more music ever again.

By Skooter on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 05:11 pm:

I heard "Needle in the Hay" today on our local college radio station. What an apt song.
    I always felt a great sadness and melancholy in his music.
    Some people are just too fragile to be artists. I'm glad I'm not one of them.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 05:47 pm:

some people make great artists *because* they are so fragile.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 05:59 pm:

I'm creeped out, because today I was just thinking about the scene in Royal Tenenbaums where Smiths "needle in the hay" is playing, as Richie attempts suicide...

*shivers*

By Skooter on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:23 pm:

Yep. There's a fine line between being a genius and being a looney.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:28 pm:

I wonder how many obituaries of Smith will have the words "Nick Drake" in there

By patrick on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:40 pm:

all of them

By patrick on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:35 pm:

HA! from a blog i frequent:

"Maybe you have heard, maybe you haven't, Elliot Smith killed himself. I know you are 'fans' so I thought I'd be the one to break the news. If you need comfort, I think Insound and Epitonic are running helplines. Certainly don't come to me. That guy was an idiot.

At first I thought he did it by listening to his own records. And then I read that he used a knife. What a loser way to die. Even Cobain, that self-absorbed vagina, used a gun. As far as I'm concerned, if you are a rockstar, you can go in one of the following ways:
    A) firearm
    B) horrible accident involving a car and/or pool
    C) pills

Note that a knife doesn't even make the list. I guess since his tolerance was so high he'd have to clear out Pfizer to do C. That left A and B for him. But I guess using a knife just proves how indie he is.

Does this mean I can rock my "I Killed Elliot Smith" shirt now? Or is that too ironic...or is that unironic? I can't tell."

By patrick on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 08:02 pm:

oh shit, i just realized i know his girlfriend. the one who drove him to the hospital. rather than call 911.

odd.

By Skooter on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:28 am:

Maybe he was already dead. Plus, I think stabbing yourself in the chest is a pretty insane way to die. Lots more guts than blowing your head off, hari-kari style I guess.

By kazu on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:35 am:

I'm thinking "already dead" would be MORE of a reason to call 911 instead of driving to the hospital.

By Skooter on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:34 am:

One article I read said that he was pronounced dead an hour after he was taken to the hospital. So there's your answer about that. He was still alive, barely, when they found him.

By kazu on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:36 am:

Elliot Smith. Rerun. What a bad week.

By Spider on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:27 am:

I can't get over the weird, violent way he died. What kind of pain do you have to be in to stab yourself?

By patrick on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:54 pm:

you want the story?

the wife got it first hand last night.

she's known his girlfriend for sometime.

first, she's a fucking manic nutball.

second, she and elliott have had this emotional, dramatic table turning, door slamming, screaming "i hate you" type of relationship. typical for a manic and a depressed individual right? the wife has witnessed it herself in a bar one night.

well. they were having one of those episodes. he had been making strides as of late, was off the depression pills and really on the upswing. during this episode she was really pressing him, for one reason or another. she, in her manic fury locked herself in the bathroom. he, went to the kitchen, got a steak knife. KAPUT!

After some time (after her lithium kicked in?) she came out, found him, removed the knife, and drove him to a hospital on the other side of town.

She may have been able to save his life if she called 911. pulling the knife out expedited his death most likely.

By dave. on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:58 pm:

that'll teach her.

By Spider on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:01 pm:

What a waste.

Shoot, I had just gotten over re-mourning Glenn Quinn's heroin OD and the question of why people have to die senselessly, and now this. It makes me angry, but I don't know what I'm mad at.

By Spider on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:01 pm:

If only people were careful and rational all the time.

By kazu on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:10 pm:

"If only people were careful and rational all the time."

god what a depressing thought.

By patrick on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:16 pm:

yeah right.

most of the time spider. *most* of the time.

life gets boring when its safe and secure all the time.

By TBone on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:17 pm:

If only people were careful and rational just enough not to cause stupid death.

By Spider on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:23 pm:

Right, what he said.

By sarah on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:57 pm:

that is seriously fucked up. fucking idiots.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, January 1, 2004 - 05:10 pm:

By J on Friday, January 9, 2004 - 11:27 am:

Look at the smoking gun today,sounds like his girlfriend might have done it.

By Fuck off on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 06:49 pm:

You better believe it. Why Didn't the girlfriends record all of
    the sudden not come out and the disbandment/ maybe
    becuase Jennifer Chiba Killed Elliott Smith.

By Cantmakeasound on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 03:51 pm:

I know it is a long time after this last post... I found this message
    board through a google research.
    I am trying to do a little research on the subject, because, for my
    own peace of mind, I would like to know exactly what happened
    that day of october.
    At the beginning I placed my confidence in the police because
    they were doing an investigation, but after all this time nothing
    new has come up!
    Does any of you has learnt or heard anything new? I wish people
    who know more than the official story would talk! I met Elliott a
    couple of times, I miss him very much and I want to know what
    happened to him.
    Thank you!

By Cantmakeasound on Sunday, May 7, 2006 - 11:17 pm:

So, nothing to add to that tragedy?

By No_name_8 on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 02:59 am:

we're all watching here.
    waiting.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact