Ralph Nadar lost his mind

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Ralph Nadar lost his mind
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 06:18 pm:

What the fuck is Nadar doing?

By patrick on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 06:19 pm:

Nader.

By Rowlfe on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 06:32 pm:

he didnt lose his mind, its just that his ego is so much bigger than it.

By Antigone on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 07:52 pm:

I'm just waiting for spunk to post "when will there be a Hillary/Nader ticket?"

By agatha on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 11:08 pm:

I can't believe Patrick is still spelling it Nadar after all of the shit I gave him the last time around.

I don't think Nader's going to affect the vote too much in this election. Maybe I'm just an optimist. I do know that I nearly voted for him last time, but I changed my mind while in line to vote. Not that it mattered anyhow.

By J on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 12:39 am:

I think i'm going with Edwards.

By semillama on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:02 am:

I think Nader sees Kerry like Ted Rall sees him -too moderate to get done what needs done. but still, running for president is just dumb. who's going to vote for him? Not me.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:51 am:

I voted for him last time. Not this time, though.

By TBone on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:31 am:

I did too. I probably will again if he runs. Montana's electoral vote will forever go to republicans, and I can't influence that.
    Last time, Nader won the presidency in my precinct (or whatever it's called)

By Spider on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 12:18 pm:

TBone, I'm reading this novel called "The Good Brother," by Chris Offutt -- it's about a man who kills someone in Kentucky and then flees to Montana and finds some scary stuff there, survivalist-type people and people obsessed with their gun-ownership rights. The author lives in Montana, so I'm inclined to think there might be a grain of truth to the characterization of the people. Are there a lot of people like that up there? (The action is set in a small town near Lolo, if that means anything to you.)

By patrick on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 01:29 pm:

you gave me shit about my chronic mispelling of his name agatha? hmm.

By TBone on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 02:16 pm:

Lolo is just a few minutes from Missoula. Lolo's tiny, so saying "a small town near lolo" is kinda funny.
    Chris Offutt lives here in town, according to a quick googling.
    We've had some weird stuff in Montana. We had the Militia thing a number of years back, and there are a some paranoid rifle-toters out in the void between cities...
    But not so many that you notice them all the time. Mostly they stick to themselves and put up 'No Trespassing' and 'Beware of Dog' signs. They tend to live way out of town.
    Generally, Montanans are pretty friendly folk. If you run out of gas or break down on the highway, someone will pull over to give you a lift before you've taken a few steps. That's happened to me twice.
    Most gun-owning Montanans just use them to shoot deer.
    So the answer is yes, there are some of those types around simply because if you want to be weird, you can buy some backwoods land and be weird all you want. No neighbors to complain. But not a lot of them, and the rest of us don't hear from them too often.

By sarah on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 05:14 pm:

i voted for nader last time, because he was the only candidate the campaigned in my state (hawaii). plus, except for the weird finale of the last presidential election, typically the president has already been decided by the time the polls open up in hawaii.

there are people driving around austin w/ bumper stickers that say "ANYBODY but Bush".

By Antigone on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 05:52 pm:

I voted for Nader too, and I "traded" that vote with a potential Nader voter from Florida so that they would vote for Gore. If they didn't do that I hope they felt like a total tool.

I'm going to vote early this weekend in the Texas primary...for Dean. :)

By semillama on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 06:17 pm:

I'm still voting Dean myself. I still like his message and ideas, even though he's completely lame for sending me a solicitation for funds to pay off his campaign debt.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 06:25 pm:

i saw a bumper sticker recently that said 'Keep Austin Weird'.

I liked that.

I havent decided who I will vote for in Nov. In the primary, most likely Dean as well.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 06:28 pm:

can you even vote in the primary for someone who's dropped out?

By patrick on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 06:45 pm:

he's on the ballot. the ballots have already been finalized, so, yeah.

i voted for Huffington for Gov. even though she dropped out.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 06:59 pm:

I'm stealing this from 411mania.com, who took their stats from cnn.com

By their count, Nader really only hurt the Democrats in Florida and New Hampshire.

If Nader does what Michael Moore did, that is, go to Florida and tell everyone not to vote for him, so there arent any close votes or necessity for recount, and take his name off the ballot in New Hampshire, the Dems have nothing to worry or complain about.

And besides, he really wont make a difference. Why?

If you ask me, the current polls are misleading, yes, even the ones that put Kerry ahead of Bush. They are misleading because even though they might represent this certain 1000 people or even the nation or whatever, it all comes down to who brings out more people to vote.

Judging by the dramatic surge of voters in the Democratic primaries compared to 2000, I'd put money on the Dems getting more of their breed out to vote. At this point the election is the Democrats' to lose.

anyways, the numbers:

"Tennessee: Bush received 1,056,480 votes. Gore received 977,789 votes. Ralph Nader received 19,694 votes. Had Gore received every vote that Nader got, Gore still would have lost his home state.

Colorado: Bush received 884,047 votes to Gore’s 736,470 votes. Nader received 91,482 votes. Together, Nader and Gore lost by over 50,000 votes to Bush.

Arizona: Bush beat Gore and Nader combined by over 35,000 votes.

Arkansas: Bush beat Gore and Nader combined by over 38,000 votes.

Missouri: Bush beat Gore and Nader combined by a little over 40,000 votes.

Nevada: Bush beat Gore and Nader combined by a little over 6,000 votes.

Ohio: Bush received 2,294,167 votes. Gore received 2,117,741 votes and Nader receives 114,483 votes. Bush beat them combined by over 70,000 votes.

West Virginia: Bush beat Gore and Nader combined by a little over 28,000 votes.

Iowa, Oregon, New Mexico, Washington, Wisconsin and Minnesota: Although Gore won in these six states, he only barely beats Bush thanks to strong showings by Ralph Nader. In fact, in states like Massachusetts, Maryland and Michigan and New York that Gore won handily, Ralph Nader had his strongest showings.

New Hampshire: Gore received 265,853 votes, Nader received 22,156 votes and Bush received 273,135 votes. Had Gore received one third of Nader’s votes, Gore would have won New Hampshire. According to the exit polls, a slight majority of people who voted for Ralph Nader would have voted for Gore.

Florida: Bush defeated Gore by 930 votes. Ralph Nader received 97,419 votes. Pat Buchanan pretty much openly admitted that he received about 1,000 votes meant for Al Gore. According to exit polls, when asked who they’d vote for if the race was only between Gore and Bush, 1% of the people who said Bush voted for Nader and 1% of the people who picked Gore voted for Nader. While I find these numbers to be misleading as they are in contrast to almost all political theory, they are the numbers. "

Last point:

Overall, Gore did WAAAAAAAY more to "lose" the election himself than Nader did. It wasnt just the media and Katherine Harris et al that hurt Gore, Gore campaigned poorly,

By sarah on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 03:02 pm:

"Keep Austin Weird" is the unofficial city motto and definitely a distinct party of austin culture. it's everywhere. generally speaking, people here are very creative in a variety of ways, and showing your inner freak is rarely frowned upon here and mostly understood and encouraged, where in other more conservative places it would make your neighbors nervous or even lower property values.

By sarah on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 03:04 pm:

personally i think we have much wiggle room to be overly picky about our democratic candidates. sad, but true. politically i'm going to support whatever democrat seems has the best chance to beat bush. again... ANYBODY but Bush.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 09:03 pm:

By Rowlfe on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 12:21 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact