working for a living, living and a working, i'm taking what they're giving, 'cuz i'm huffing paint thinner, mang.

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: working for a living, living and a working, i'm taking what they're giving, 'cuz i'm huffing paint thinner, mang.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 09:27 pm:

anyway. i got a job. tomorrow is one full week of work.

i'm tired. i'm so fucking tired.

tomorrow they are dragging me to a bar in north beach to celebrate hiring me.

dragging.

so, my vacation was about eleven and a half months. the longest vacation i've had in probably 28 years. 353 days. 8,472 hours. 508,320 minutes without work.

i never did sell that house.

last night was dope.

in 29 days my odometer rolls over three decades.

oh yeah, and interracial marriage was legally banned in parts of the USofA until 1967.

By heather on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 03:56 am:

nice?

nice

By semillama on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 10:27 am:

Congrats! just 2,299,000 more jobs to go!

By sarah on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:06 pm:

mang! god i haven't heard that one in so long. that made my day.

congrats on your new job.

By Spider on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:23 pm:

So what's the job?

By kazu on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:24 pm:

sweet.

By TBone on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:28 pm:

Rockage on the job.
    Someone on the other side of the cubicle is pinwheeling their arms. At about half-second intervals I see a right hand, then a left hand, then a right hand, then a left hand.

By TBone on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:29 pm:

Rockage on the job.
    Someone on the other side of the cubicle wall is pinwheeling their arms. At about half-second intervals I see a right hand, then a left hand, then a right hand, then a left hand.

By semillama on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:36 pm:

sweet. i should do that. nothing like a little exercise to break up the monotany.

By Nate on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 11:54 am:

so, the job is kind of funny. it is tier I, front line tech support. answering phones and opening cases and "answering the questions if you can."

i love it. i'm making 40% less per year than the last job i had. but on the flip side, i just figured out i'm making 150% more per hour.

which was a huge part of the point. i wanted to make enough to fuel this stripped down lifestyle and still have time for the other things i want to do, like finishing the novel and writing the next one. something steady and sufficent but not all consuming.

and the people i'm working with are great. they were going to take me out to the crowbar last night to celebrate my new hire, but the new dot version of the product was released yesterday resulting in a company wide 'happy hour' going on.

so we went to the crowbar anyway, had a beer, then headed for the release party. the release party was open bar in the basement 'public bar' of an irish pub in north beach. everyone was getting tanked.

the last company i worked for was so sober and PC and vacant. this new place is full of people i'd actually want to hang out with after work. what a fucking difference.

By TBone on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 08:14 pm:

That's awsome, Nate. That's a hell of a promotion.
    For some reason, I read "everyone was getting naked" instead of "tanked" the first read through.
    It's still good though.

By kazu on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 08:18 pm:

tanked is better than naked when it comes to co-workers.

By TBone on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 08:40 pm:

Hmm. I guess you're right.

By Nate on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 09:58 pm:

you know, i was walking around in Berkeley today and there were some pro-dean people standing on the corner of college and ashby. they told me to vote for dean. i walked across ashby and noticed that you can see the golden gate bridge from the middle of the street, so i turned and walked back to look at it again. when i got back to the original corner the people told me to vote for dean.

"uh, dean's not running anymore."

and they went insane. all of them, in unison, "yes he is! yes he is! his name is still on the ballot!"

i bet these people call bush a moron, too.

the PRB, man, it's a different world in here.

By kazu on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:01 am:

Maybe the whole prediction about california breaking off and sinking into the ocean wasn't supposed to be taken literally.

Nate, I feel your pain.

By spunky on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:14 am:

Damn glad to see you working Nate.

By patrick on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 11:08 am:

congrats, i think.

i mean, im not sure if you want to be working, or are doing so out of necessity. i assume after so long, its necessity. sounds like its not going to take much of a mental toll which sounds allllright to me.

there was some schmuck at the farmers market yesterday "got a minute to spare for the ACLU?" i replied "no, im buying leeks and onions". in liberal hippie-ville bohemian silverlake no one seemed to give a rats ass what this schmuck was offering.

By semillama on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 03:42 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact