The voting thread

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: The voting thread
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Antigone on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 04:46 pm:

And now for the first big voting fuckup of the election, check this out. On the Michigan absentee ballot, if you cast a vote for Kerry you actually end up voting for Bush!

By dave. on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 05:02 pm:

un-fucking-believable.

and so it begins.

By Nate on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 05:29 pm:

huh. i thought michigan was in canada.

By heather on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 06:42 pm:

it is

By Antigone on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 07:11 pm:

Which leads to the question, "Why does Oklahoma suck?"

Answer, "So Texas doesn't slide into the Gulf of Mexico..."

By Nate on Friday, October 8, 2004 - 12:50 am:

when i reached the point where i realized the plate was too hot to carry across the kitchen, i was beyond the point where i would consider turning back.

micro-chewy.

By Lamb Chop on Friday, October 8, 2004 - 08:43 am:

By Red nate on Friday, October 8, 2004 - 12:54 pm:

it's a goddamn liberal conspiracy! in missouri of all places!

goddamnit!

By dave. on Friday, October 8, 2004 - 01:41 pm:

By Antigone on Friday, October 8, 2004 - 04:00 pm:

Only NewsMax would claim that registering more new democrats to vote than republicans means democrats are trying to "steal" the election.

By patrick on Friday, October 8, 2004 - 04:31 pm:

the idea that Democrats are out registering is faulty logic as far as i can tell, because in general, conservatives tend to be more responsible voters initially.

if you look at the demographic of individuals who arent registered or are registered and don't vote, im willing to bet they are overwhelmingly left leaning.

By Antigone on Friday, October 8, 2004 - 05:16 pm:

A tv station has just reported that Bush won the election.

Yeah, you read that right...

By J on Saturday, October 9, 2004 - 02:21 pm:

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 02:36 pm:

Another gem from Salon's War Room:

Jimmy Carter said we all need to be vigilant about voter fraud in Florida again this year and scrutinize the process. Looks like that applies to the rest of the country, too. In Nevada, employees of a GOP-funded voter registration company say they watched their supervisors rip up Democrats' registration forms -- and that hundreds and maybe thousands of Democrats' forms have been trashed.

From KLAS TV in Las Vegas -- and isn't it heartening to see a local TV I-team actually report on something other than exposes of local strip clubs or the latest household item that can kill you?:

"Two former workers say they personally witnessed company supervisors rip up and trash registration forms signed by Democrats."

"'We caught her taking Democrats out of my pile, handed them to her assistant and he ripped them up right in front of us. I grabbed some of them out of the garbage and she tells her assistant to get those from me,' said Eric Russell, former Voters Outreach employee. Eric Russell managed to retrieve a pile of shredded paperwork including signed voter registration forms, all from Democrats. We took them to the Clark County Election Department and confirmed that they had not, in fact, been filed with the county as required by law."

"So the people on those forms who think they will be able to vote on Election Day are sadly mistaken. We attempted to speak to Voters Outreach but found that its office has been rented out to someone else."

Perhaps Ralph Nader knows where Voters Outreach went, because, as Josh Marshall points out, it appears the same company worked for him in Arizona.

Then there's Oregon. State officials are looking into allegations that a paid canvasser might have destroyed voter registration forms there, too. Yet another local TV station doing its job, KGW-TV, interviewed a paid canvasser who said he was instructed to only accept Republican registration forms. Oregon's Secretary of State Bill Bradbury is beside himself over the allegations: "I have never in my five years as secretary of state ever seen an allegation like the one that came up tonight -- ever," Bradbury said. "I mean, frankly, it just totally offends me that someone would take someone else's registration and throw it out."

Also in Oregon, college students say they may have been snookered into changing their party affiliation to Republican by a group of petitioners who asked them to sign a petition "to lower auto costs for young people."

"When students signed the petition, they were handed voter registration cards and told to fill out only the name and address section, in order to 'verify' their signature on the petition. According to one of the petitioners, the group's intent is to register everyone who filled out the voter registration card, with 'Republican' selected under the party affiliation. Many students who had signed the petition where surprised or outraged to learn that they may have inadvertently registered to vote as a Republican."

"... It's sick," said student Jodi Kansager, who initially signed the petition, but then became suspicious when she was handed a voter registration card and asked to only fill out two lines. "I look at it and I'm like, 'dude, this is a voter registration card!'"

In South Dakota, former congressman Bill Janklow (yes, that Bill Janklow), comments on the resignation of six people connected to the state GOP over improper absentee ballot applications (a nephew of the GOP senate candidate was signing up college students even though he isn't an official notary). Janklow, according to local TV station KELO "says the national GOP is encouraging campaign workers to cheat."

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact