"The Queen Is Dead"

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: "The Queen Is Dead"
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Me on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 06:16 pm:

Try reading MA's interview by Robt Birnbaum (Dec 2003)
    They've both got 'yellow dog' definition wrong!
    -------

To see this story with its related links on the Guardian Unlimited site, go to http://www.guardian.co.uk

The Queen is dead
    For decades there has been only one doll that little girls have wanted - golden-
    haired, long-legged Barbie. So how did a three-year-old upstart with drugged-up
    eyes and an oversized head knock her off the top spot in the UK? Tanya Gold
    meets the Bratz
    Tanya Gold
    Wednesday October 06 2004
    The Guardian

Toytown is tottering. For 20 years Barbie Millicent Roberts, Mattel's serene
    Wasp from Willows, Wisconsin, has been queen of the global doll world. Two
    Barbies are sold each second and, if you placed all the Barbies and family
    bought since 1959 head to toe, they would circle planet Earth seven times.
    Whatever her incarnation - princess, palaeontologist, presidential candidate,
    paramedic - Barbie ruled.

But an interloper has stepped in to imperil Barbie's $3.6bn annual turnover and
    the welfare of her 48 pets. The upstart's name is Bratz, and she is three years
    old. In 2003, Bratz generated $2.5bn in global revenue and last month secured
    45.1% of the British fashion-doll market, making it the No1 bestseller. Barbie
    has fallen off her plastic throne.

Dolls are both imago and icon for little women; they tell us what we fear,
    desire and, also, what we might become. And on the third floor of Hamleys in
    central London lies this magic looking-glass - the doll zone. I have a sudden
    pang for the beloved Sindy doll of my childhood and yearn for her friendly
    smile and her long vinyl limbs. Sindy lived in a Bishops Avenue mansion in my
    bedroom. She was haute bourgeoisie; she rode, she swam, she dated a man who
    looked like George Hamilton, and she owned a caravan. She lived the affluent
    life I grew up to covet and, before I chopped her head off, I adored her. But,
    in the doll death-match, Barbie saw off Sindy long ago.

Barbie World stretches out before me. It is a pink purgatory, starring row
    upon row of Barbie's most beloved self - forever "princess". It's a Royal
    Wedding with just one guest, guarded by a Hamleys employee wearing jeans, a T-
    shirt and a pink princess hat. Princess Barbie is 12.5in high and smiles out of
    her packaging. If she were human, she would be 6ft 2in and weigh seven
    stone.

Barbie was inspired by a German sex-kitten doll called Lilli. Lilli was sold to
    men only at tobacconists in Germany in the 1950s. But this geisha incarnation
    is long forgotten. Today Barbie is wearing a glittery pink gown and sitting in
    a peach carriage, drawn by peach horses. She clutches a dead-eyed swan. Ken
    stands behind her carriage, watching Barbie. He looks like Robert Kilroy-Silk
    in golden boots.

I find just-married Barbie, a Vivien-Leigh-in-Gone-With-The-Wind Barbie, and
    even a sinister Fulham tableau starring a mumsy Barbie, a grey-haired Ken
    posing as an actuary, and a baby. Then come the branded tie-ins to help little
    girls learn to desire other corporations - a small army of Disney Barbies, Coca-
    Cola Barbie, Ferrari Barbie, even a Vera Wang Barbie. These more modern dolls
    are dissemblers: Barbie cannot hide her true nature. She is an icon of postwar
    American affluence and confidence. Barbie has many careers, but, if you look at
    her face, you know she doesn't need them. She oozes a sugary, pre-sexual
    revolution status quo. There is no crimson lipstick, no thigh-high boots, and
    certainly no fuck-me-Ken shoes. She is a smaller, less talkative Nancy
    Reagan.

But Barbie World is deserted. Boxes of Barbie-branded bits (spoons, karaoke
    machines, skipping ropes, tissues, a Christmas tree) are piled up unsold. An
    Afro-Caribbean Ken has been reduced to $4.99.

I cross the plastic aisle, the Valley of the Dolls, and enter Bratz World, six
    feet and a social revolution away. Bratz isn't smiling out of her complex
    packaging, which indicates she is for the bedsides of seven to 12-year-olds.
    She pouts violently and with unspoken malice. Bratz is 11.5in high (one inch
    shorter than Barbie) and voluptuous. Were she human, she would stand 5ft 6in
    tall. She has an oversized head, thigh-length hair and slanting, opiate-drugged
    eyes. These are dolls that Martin Amis would recognise. Her lips are huge,
    painted and parted.

You can take Cloe, Dana, Jade, Sasha, Yasmin, Fianna, Neura or Meygan home.
    These dolls are red-, brown- or indigo- haired; just one blonde glares out.
    Bratz are "multi-ethnic". There is a black Bratz, an Asian Bratz, and a
    Eurasian Bratz. Standing beside them are their lovers: Cade, Dylan, Eitan,
    Camero and Koby. I see no change in male dolls yet; these dolls are square-
    jawed and stereotypically handsome, just like the repulsive Ken; they are
    Harrison Ford before he went to seed. One has a Justin Timberlake Afro, another
    wears skis, and their expression, faced with a torrent of plastic promise from
    Meygan and friends, is bewildered. They wear Gap and Benetton-esque clothes.
    Ken's golf-club chic is gone.

There is no dream castle in Bratz World, no dull and honourable marriage to
    Ken. These are a gang of groovy, careless singles. They party in the Bratz
    sushi lounge, the internet cafe and the Big Brother hot tub. They own mobile
    phones, plasma screens and an entire Harvey Nichols-ful of call-girl ruffs
    and feathers, thigh-high leopard boots, black leather miniskirts and pink silk
    camisoles. Bratz drink espresso and smoothies. This corner of Hamleys is a mini
    episode of Footballers' Wives, a plastic representation of a party at
    Beckingham Palace. These are dolls for children who watch television, read
    Heat, surf the internet and worship Britney Spears.

I take a poll of small consumers and grinning parents. Why do they like these
    pouting dolls? They consider. Anisha, aged six, says, "Bratz are pretty and
    they're fashionable." Abby, seven, likes "to dress them up and do their hair",
    while Jessica, four, thinks "they look lovely. Shoes," she adds. "Hair." Alice,
    also seven, thinks, "Bratz look kind". Would they buy a Barbie? "Too babyish!"
    they cry. "Barbie is for little girls." How old are the Bratz? They all
    describe then as "teenagers" except Anisha, who thinks one particularly
    predatory-looking Bratz "is about 12".

The Bratz were created by Isaac Larian, an Iranian Jew described in the toy
    industry as "a charismatic entrepreneur". Larian came to America to become a
    structural engineer in 1971 but instead he founded MGA, now the biggest
    privately owned toy company in the world. In 2000, the designer Carter Bryant
    walked into his California office with a drawing of a Bratz doll. Larian's
    seven-year-old daughter Yasmin (now immortalised as a doll) liked the drawing.
    Larian commissioned a prototype and the cold wind began to blow through
    Princess Barbie's realm.

Why does Larian believe he has sold 80 million Bratz? First, he cites the Death
    of the Blonde. "Bratz are not all blonde and busty like Barbie," he says. "I
    decided to make Bratz multicultural. A Mexican child thinks her Bratz is
    Mexican, a Brazilian child thinks her Bratz is Brazilian. The multiculturalism
    is their magic."

The second ingredient in this Willy Wonka world is the Bratz clothing. Most
    Barbie clothing is - and looks - cheap. Larian employs professional designers
    to ape the clothing children see on the Sugababes when they switch on the
    ubiquitous television. "We go to fashion shows every year to identify trends
    and we change the clothes the dolls wear three or four times a year, just like
    in the full-sized fashion industry," says Larian, who produces his dolls in
    Southern China, where careful attention is paid to makeup. "Each doll goes
    through 16 rotations - that is workers - just to paint the eyes."

When a child is aged between four and six, he argues, "it wants to be like its
    mummy. Barbie is mummy. But as they get older they want to be older and develop
    different role models. Children always want to become old."

Esther Jones, curator at the Museum of Childhood in east London, agrees.
    "Little girls always want what they can't have and don't have. These Bratz are
    into music and fashion and boys; for the girls who buy them, these are almost
    unobtainable - and yet almost there. To see Bratz as provocative is an adult
    interpretation. To the children, they just look attitude-y. It's a yearning for
    womanhood and for maturity."

The UK licence to sell Bratz is held by Nick Austin of Vivid Imaginations. He
    talks affably and gleefully in the weird marketese that business people love
    about Barbie's fall. "Barbie is struggling to stay relevant with older girls,"
    he says. "She is looking like an old, tired brand. The big-shoulder, power-
    dressing Barbie of California is out; the big hair, the unfeasible figure. It's
    anathema to today's nine-year-old." Austin argues that it's significant that
    the Bratz come with a wider range of accessories per doll. "With Barbie you
    have to buy a lot separately. Ours is the more honest approach to retailing. We
    deliver everything in one purchase and we are following the brand consciousness
    of young people. We are mirroring the wider society's obsession with
    brands."

Barbie is still the No1 brand leader globally - but she does seem to be going
    through a mid-life crisis. Recently Barbie dumped Ken, her 12-inch consort of
    43 years, and began dating an Australian surfer called Blaine.

Not that her people are sweating in public. Sarah Allen, public relations
    manager for Mattel UK, describes the fashion-doll industry as "an evolving
    feast, through which trends and new fashions move". She insists that the My
    Scene dolls, which appeared in 2002 and resemble Bratz very closely (except
    with slightly less filthy eyes), were not a response to the challenge from
    Bratz. "We were working on them for some time," promises Allen.

But never write off a prom queen from Wisconsin. At the moment she may be a
    wallflower, but Barbie is an American icon, a blonde tank wrapped, like the
    astronauts in Tom Wolfe's novel The Right Stuff, "in God and flag and hearth
    and home". She emerged smiling from the Totally Hair Barbie experience, when
    she was given a toe-length wig. She has survived an incarnation as Judy
    Garland, another as Cher and a spell in the US airforce. Summit Barbie partied
    through the end of the cold war; I know she will see the 22nd century through
    those cold, blue eyes.

But for now the lipsticked juggernaut of Bratz rolls on, high-kicking in its
    combats and delivering irony, attitude and sex for the seven-year-old. There
    are 36 Bratz licences in the UK - for magazines, posters, perfume, sweets,
    hats, tissues, underwear, jewellery, games, socks and stickers - and an
    animated Bratz movie entered the shops last last month. In 2005, comes a TV
    series; in 2006, a live action movie. "We want to take Bratz out of the toy
    aisle and into lifestyle," says Lisa Shapiro, who is in charge of licensing.
    "We want the girls to live the Bratz life - wear the mascara; use the hair
    product; send the greeting card. The toy business is shrinking. Kids are
    getting older younger and we're losing them to clothing, computers and DVDs. If
    Barbie is about fantasy, then Bratz is about real life. It has to be."

Parents be warned: Bratz are about to swallow your kids.

Copyright Guardian Newspapers Limited

By wisper on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 07:28 pm:

THAT IS SO INTERESTING!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THAT!
    AND THE FUCKED-UP FORMATTING IS JUST THE ICING ON THE CAKE NOW, ISNT IT?!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact