"Beam Me Up, Scotty"

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: "Beam Me Up, Scotty"
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 01:22 pm:

from cinescape.com: "Actor James Doohan, best known for his role as Montgomery "Scotty" Scott on STAR TREK, has died at age 65.

Doohan passed away early this morning at his home in Redmond, Washington.

He was born in 1920 in Vancouver. At 19 he joined the Canadain army and went on to land on Juno Beach on D-Day. After the war, he took an acting class on a whim at a Toronoto university and this inspired him to pursue a career as an actor.

When asked about whether he got tired of hearing "Beam me up, Scotty," Doohan said, "I'm not tired of it at all. Good gracious, it's been said to me for just about 31 years. It's been said to me at 70 miles an hour across four lanes on the freeway. I hear it from just about everybody. It's been fun." "

By droopy on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 01:30 pm:

no "scotty's been beamed up" jokes? is he the first from the old series to die? for some reason, i think "bones" is dead, too.

By TBone on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 01:38 pm:

Yeah, Bones died in 99. DeForest Kelly.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 03:44 pm:

Beam me up Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

By V on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 05:55 pm:

...only you and me Sir...the rest are brain dead.

By V on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 05:58 pm:

...and we still have Klingons on the starboard bow.

By jack on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 06:34 pm:

he was born in 1920 and he died at age 65 today?
    those aren't earth years.

By V on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 07:43 pm:

jack,aint now way he was born 1920,you sure on that Sir?...tend to find that hard to believe.jack,just tell me again he was born in 1920,cuz I still cant take that in.jack what in your opinion is going on?...time warps or somthing?

By agatha on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:18 pm:

No, they most certainly aren't.

I always liked Scotty.

By wisper on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:50 pm:

I thought he died a few years ago :/
    But i was told that was just when he left public life after getting sick. So i was shocked, anyway.

By jack on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:00 pm:

according to sem's post, he aged differently than the rest of us while he was on the enterprise.

v. it's a small joke. sem seems to have copied his information from a place that had a typographical error. mr. doohan was actually born in 1920. he was 85 earth-years of age at the time of his death.

the typo gave me the opportunity to joke.
    i wasn't willing to go with the standard beam me up thing, but i was willing to jump on a typo for a trifling amusement.

jokes are so much better when you explain them.

By droopy on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 11:02 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact