shine on you crazy diamond

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: shine on you crazy diamond
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:05 pm:

syd barrett has moved on. apparently several days ago.

i hope things are better where you are now, you crazy motherfucker.

By sarah on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:21 pm:

the black crowes played "fearless" when i saw them on the 3rd.

By droopy on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:40 pm:

back in the late 80's a friend of mine had one of syd barrett's solo albums. it must've been "opel" - i remember it sounded like a collection of demos with just syd on acoustic guitar, complete with missed chords. we both loved it, though. i haven't seen that friend or heard that album in over a decade. i'll have to go track it down somewhere.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 01:46 pm:

i have "barrett". i had all three solo albums, but life loses things.

barrett taught waters the open-G tuning waters used when he pulled together "fearless".

in a strange way, barrett kept me from falling off the earth.

i recall a story about how barrett could listen to a complex guitar solo once, and then play it forward or backwards.

or something like that.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 03:42 pm:

not to mention Piper at the Gates of Dawn is hands down the best pink floyd album ever. now let margret come in and debate with me Animals is better...a conversation i think we had some 5 years ago, yet im too lazy to look up.

By kazu on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 03:54 pm:

limeandlipidstreamafightbetweentheblueyouonceknew

By Nate on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 04:00 pm:

i think that would be meddle, patrick. hands down.

By TBone on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 04:37 pm:

I'm going to blaspheme and say Division Bell.

By kazu on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 05:11 pm:

TBone needs a spanking

By Nate on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 05:18 pm:

that's not even pink floyd, dude.

By J on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 05:51 pm:

After Roger Waters left,they just sucked.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 06:24 pm:

as did roger waters, oddly enough.

By Margret on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 09:30 pm:

(1) Piper: Eat me raw, Patrick, you philistine!
    (2) Division Bell: Tbone - did your mother have any children that lived?
    (3) Meddle: Nate, jesus, I thought better of you.
    (4) Waters: I enjoyed both Radio K.A.O.S and The Pros And Cons of Hitchhiking.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:13 pm:

you can't seriously being going with animals, margret? i mean, you might as well latch onto the final cut.

By Margret on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:39 pm:

Well, yeah. Because, see, Animals features this stanza:

You know that I care what happens to you
    And I know that you care for me
    So I don't feel alone
    Or the weight of the stone
    Now that I've found somewhere safe
    To bury my bone
    And any fool knows a dog needs a home
    A shelter from pigs on the wing

Within the framework of the established allegory, it says everything that needs to be said ever about the nature of love/friendship.

By Nate on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:09 am:

are you sure? i mean, it sounds like something i once believed. you really think two people who care about each other are enough to cure loneliness, blind you from the hell of your shit job, and keep the world from busting your ass?

not that i don't love the album.

but really, if you're going to dive into a bullshit fantasy about human relations, of love and longing, this is the one to go to:

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
    And deep beneath the rolling waves
    In labyrinths of coral caves
    The echo of a distant time
    Comes willowing across the sand
    And everything is green and submarine

And no one showed us to the land
    And no one knows the wheres or whys
    But something stirs and something tries
    And starts to climb toward the light

Strangers passing in the street
    By chance two separate glances meet
    And I am you and what I see is me
    And do I take you by the hand
    And lead you through the land
    And help me understand the best I can

And no one calls us to move on
    And no one forces down our eyes
    And no one speaks and no one tries
    And no one flies around the sun

Cloudless everyday you fall upon my waking eyes
    Inviting and inciting me to rise
    And through the window in the wall
    Comes streaming in on sunlight wings
    A million bright ambassadors of morning

And no one sings me lullabies
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    And so I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky

By Margret on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:55 am:

It's all about friendship, Nate, not that other modality. And yeah, I believe that about friendship, about making connections with other people. I just think it's a mistake to think cross-pollinating it with genital tingling gives it a stature somehow different or apart from friendship. I am all about friendship these days. Hence my unglorious return.

By sarah on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:13 am:

meddle.

By Nate on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:17 am:

maybe echoes works better on people with oceanonic love affairs.

i really can't argue this, margret. animals is masterful. one of my favorite albums of all time.

i am all about friendship these days, as well. but i'm also nate, so who knows how long that will last.

By sarah on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:52 am:

i'm all about love.

By sarah on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:52 am:

and hot monkey sex.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:43 pm:

thanks for elevating the general clever factor and fuck talk around here nate.

im trying to keep up.

By Margret on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 08:28 pm:

Well damnit, if I can't pick a fight with Nate by trash talking - how am I supposed to sublimate?
    "Long you live and high you fly
    And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
    And all you touch and all you see
    Is all your life will ever be"

By Nate on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:03 pm:

try bourbon. that always sublimates me.

By Nate on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:03 pm:

in the physics sense, not the psychology sense.

By Margret on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:15 pm:

I do like bourbon, but don't think I should drink; if I'm depressed (I am, a little) it exacerbates the condition.

By Nate on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:26 pm:

for me as well. i am careful to only drink when i'm reasonably happy, these days.

i am fucking exhausted. work, why do we do this?

i need somewhere safe to bury my bone. safe, warm, and wet.

just for tonight.

By Margret on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 12:16 am:

damnit, nate.
    snort diet coke into my sinuses.

By Margret on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 02:29 pm:

I have been on vacation this week. Here are some things I have accomplished:
    (1) received, executed and returned an offer letter to go work at a different company; going to be a systems analyst (vacuous term meaning "something technical-ish") while they teach me to code
    (2) resigned from my current position and declined to speculate on whether there was anything they could offer me to make me stay; they had their chance
    (3) taught my friend Jeff how to set up his chart of accounts and tsked at him over his poor financial records management
    (4) called Planned Parenthood and got told that if I wanted an appointment before August 1, I should get up and call them at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow so I can get one this Saturday. plan to do this very thing
    (5) called and made an appointment to view a 1BR apartment that I can afford
    (6) took the car to Jiffy Lube and had my fluids exchanged
    (7) called my mechanic to schedule a tune up of real car functions. this will happen at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow, and my friend Jared will pick me up and maybe I can talk him into going to look at furniture/for bookshelves with me.
    (8) agreed to be the merch girl for my friends' band's trip to Dallas
    (9) went into work 2 afternoons to try to get things read for when I don't work there anymore, so I can stay on good terms with them
    (10) read a pretty damned decent book called "Replay"
    (11) panicked (am still panicking a little) because I quit my job and broke up a 7 year relationship in the same month. Am I having a mid-life crisis? Am I going to want to buy a red sports car I can't afford and start dating eye candy?

By Nate on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 03:22 pm:

doesn't your life feel free and new? i mean, there is a little edginess to the whole thing, but your future is yours to define. you can be excited and panicky.

and probably stressed out for awhile. job change + break up + move. those are three big ones for one short period of time.

i had it similarly early this year. i think i've only recently come out of it.

mood-leveling drugs be damned!

By Margret on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 03:55 pm:

i feel like i could float, i'm so buoyed by the possibilities. but i keep getting freaked out by the list of little things i need to do...get my own car insurance...do this...check that...confirm blah blah on the 401k. plus the trip to dallas is kind of inconveniently timed, but something i really really want to do. so i'm doing it anyway and tolerating the associated inconvenience as the price i pay for doing things i want.

By Nate on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 06:49 pm:

my friend called me earlier today. her dad, in his early sixties, went from normal dad to luekemia dad in three days. his white blood cell count has gone from 12K to 70K in that period of time. the doctor basically got the blood tests back and told him to go directly to the hospital for chemo.

what the
    fuck.

what do you say when you get that call? i'm sorry? don't hesitate to ask if you need absolutely anything?

By Margret on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 07:02 pm:

Well, you understand that she's telling you because the news is to big for her to hold inside. She knows there's nothing you can do; she just wanted to diffuse the shock, horror, pain she's feeling by letting some of it come into speech and out into the world. And then yeah, then you say that other thing that you just said.

By Nate on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 07:10 pm:

i can't believe how quickly it hit.

she would leave quality social events to make sure she was home to go on her nightly 10pm walk with her dad.

By platypus on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 10:26 pm:

I never quite know what to do with information like that.

But now you've made me miss my dad. He and the girlfriend are going to the Music Festival tonight. He called today while I was at work and left a message telling me he had an excess of beets. I think this is his way of reaching out, beety red communion.

By TBone on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:17 am:

My dad's in town right now. He's on his second annual tour of Montana ghost towns. He, his wife, and my half-brother stay at KOA "Kampgrounds" with a rediculously large tent. The one here in town has these great yellow recumbent trikes for rent. And a petting zoo.

I'm taking a half day to go hang with them.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact