Somewhat naked

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Somewhat naked
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By platypus on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:24 am:

So there's this coffeehouse right around the corner from me that I've been going to since they opened, back in the dark ages. It's like my second home. I've probably clocked more hours there than anywhere else on earth. I go down there in my pajamas a couple days a week, I cruise through on my way to work, I spend a fair number of nights there drinking tea and skulking in the back. It's a community mecca.

I pretty much grew up there, or found myself, or whatever the fuck you want to call it, and it's been owned by the same family all this time. I went to school with their second daughter and she and I are still very close friends. They're almost like my family at this point. Small town thing, I suppose, but I feel like they are my parents. We see each other in the street and the grocery store and in the coffeeshop and they always know what I'm up to and ask how life is going.

I think about all these cathartic moments in my life and so many of my major decisions, and most of them have happened right there at the coffehouse, sitting at the counter inside, sharing a big table with friends, or perching on the fire hydrant outside. It's a constant figure in my life. There's art and music and food and life there. Vibrant.

And I found out tonight that they are selling to one of their long term workers, and it feels kind of wierd. I love the guy (and his wife) that they are selling it to and I think they will maintain the tradition, but it's going to be a very strange transition. The daughter has really mixed feelings too, having her family business pretty much sold out from under her.

The family infuses the coffeehouse with their character so much that I can't imagine them not being there. They really reformed Fort Bragg in a lot of ways, made the town what it is today, and they've helped so many youth get a good start in life. It's just so very odd, all of it.

I feel somewhat naked and violated, like someone's selling my house without asking. I know, change happens, blah blah. But still.

Sadness.

By dave. on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:47 am:

y'know, it's only sad if they're selling because they're forced to sell. but, i think that if they're selling because they achieved they're goal, that's a cause for celebration.

i hope it's the latter.

By dave. on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:48 am:

their. !@$#$@#!

By TBone on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:41 pm:

Every time I start to feel at home in a coffee shop, it goes out of business or gets sold and completely changes.

S&S.
    Broadway Cafe.
    The Raven Cafe.
    Friends Again.

I'm currently between homes.

By Nate on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:52 pm:

4B's man. go to the 4B's.

they're not going anywhere.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact