Happy Birthday Spider?

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Happy Birthday Spider?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 03:56 am:

I think so? Yes?

How many spankings do you get?

By droopy on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 09:08 pm:

you're right.

good to see she has better things to do than be here for her birthday.

By Nate on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 09:23 pm:

hey. i have better things to do too, but i still make it here.

By droopy on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 09:42 pm:

yes - to post a link to the better thing you have to do.

i was just thinking - i think spider is 11 years younger than i. if i am remembering this correctly, that means today would be her 30th birthday - a milestone. she might be out of the country or something.

By Nate on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:18 pm:

i was just kidding about having better things to do.

there is no way spider is 30. that doesn't jive with my reality.

By sarah on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:57 pm:

isn't spider turning, like, 15?

By Spider on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 01:36 am:

Hey! Thanks!

Yes, I'm 30 today. I can't believe it either.

By jack on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 02:34 am:

happy birthday spider. jack <heart> spider.

By kazu on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 10:53 am:

Happy Birthday!

By platypus on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 11:38 am:

Hooray for Spider! Happy belated birthday.

By It is a spider celebration on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 08:21 pm:

By Rhiannon on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 06:12 pm:

Speaking of dictionaries and favorite words, this dictionary is really cool because it tells you the exact differences among synonyms. Check it out:

syn: DEADLY, MORTAL, FATAL, LETHAL mean causing or capable of causing death. DEADLY applies to an established or very likely cause of death <a deadly disease>. MORTAL implies that death has occurred or is inevitable <a mortal wound>. FATAL stresses the inevitability of what has in fact resulted in death or destruction <fatal consequences>. LETHAL applies to something that is bound to cause death or exists for the destruction of life <lethal gas>.

syn: BEAUTIFUL, LOVELY, HANDSOME, PRETTY, COMELY, FAIR mean exciting sensuous or aesthetic pleasure. BEAUTIFUL applies to whatever excites the keenest of pleasure to the senses and stirs emotion through the senses. LOVELY is close to BEAUTIFUL but applies to a narrower range of emotional excitation in suggesting the graceful, delicate, or exquisite. HANDSOME suggests aesthetic pleasure due to proportion, symmetry, or elegance. PRETTY often applies to superficial or insubstantial attractiveness. COMELY is like HANDSOME in suggesting what is coolly approved of rather than emotionally responded to. FAIR suggests beauty because of purity, flawlessness, or freshness.

I don't know why, but this kind of stuff fascinates me.

I also love words like "defenestration," words that you can't really believe they made a whole word for that. Do you know what I mean? There's a word (too bad I can't remember what it is) that means the shy tone of voice you get when you speak of something you care a great deal for. I think it's neat that there is a unique word for that state, rather than a clumsy phrase.

I also think it's neat that in Gaelic -- a language with very very very few homonyms -- the word for "truth" is the same as the word for "girl."

By platypus on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 08:56 pm:

I was once told that there was also a word to describe the sense of loving something so intensely that you want to squeeze it until it pops, but I can't remember what the word was. It delights me, though, that someone took the time to coin the word in the first place.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 02:37 am:

Happy Birthday Spider!

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 03:16 am:

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 03:27 am:

By semillama on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 01:19 pm:

Happy Birthday Spider!

I have always wondered, if you throw someone through a window INTO a building, is that called "fenestration"?

By Nate on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 02:41 pm:

perhaps if you throw someone through a wall and a window is created?

By heather on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 09:30 pm:

*giggle*

By Spider on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 12:40 am:

Huh.

I just started watching Battlestar Galactica. Why wasn't I warned that I would become addicted after the first hour of the miniseries? This is some solid gold crack right here.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 01:07 am:

PS. Thank you, everyone, for the birthday good wishes. I'm still in denial.

By droopy on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 01:21 am:

i never actually said happy birthday.

so i just wish you happiness.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 04:43 pm:

Thanks. You, too. :)

By wisper on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 09:37 pm:

Oh lordy Spider, BSG is the best show on television. I'm jealous that you're watching it for the first time, i wish i could do that again (although at this point in time it's probably impossible to avoid spoilers). So many wonderful scenes to experience.... a happy birthday indeed!

The 1st half of the last season just finished this weekend, so now begins the long wait until January to see the final 10 episodes :(

oooooooooOOoooo i look forward to nerding out with you!!

By Spider on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 07:49 pm:

Oh, thank God! I was thinking SOMEBODY here has to have seen it!

I'm torn between pacing myself so that I won't have such a long time to wait before the end of season four, and shutting out the world and watching all 3.5 seasons in one weekend. It's a pickle.

And I tried so hard to avoid spoilers for last week's mid-season finale but I failed. ARGH.

Edward James Olmos sends me into Acting Ecstasy. He is So. Grave. All the Time. And it's AWESOME. He made the mini-series for me -- he made everything seem so real. And SO SERIOUS. But without ever over-acting...that's just genius, yo.

By droopy on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 01:33 am:

i haven't been able to view battlestar galactica. but i'm going to see spamalot next week. that's kind of geeky.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 03:31 am:

Spider, I used to watch Miami Vice ,where Edward James Olmos acting as Lt Castillo, it was back in the late 80's. He a cool dude. The movie I saw was " Stand and Deliver". I wished he was my damn teacher.

By J on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 03:49 am:

Happy belated birthday Spider,I hear 30 is the new 20.Hehe,at least when you're as old as I am.

By semillama on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 01:42 pm:

Spider, I've seen the initial miniseries, and caught a few episodes of the first season of Galactica, but ended up missing some key episodes. When that happens with me, I end up skipping all subsequent episodes since I hate having missed plot points. So, all the BG episodes that have been released so far are in our netflix queue.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact