Holy Crap

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Holy Crap
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By platypus on Friday, August 1, 2008 - 04:31 pm:

By sarah on Friday, August 1, 2008 - 04:42 pm:

wake me up when it's February 2009.

By wisper on Friday, August 1, 2008 - 07:47 pm:

"The draft could still be revised or rejected. Or the administration could enact it at any point; no congressional approval is needed. (The next president could just as easily reverse it.)"

By platypus on Friday, August 1, 2008 - 07:58 pm:

Well, the point isn't whether it would stand up legally, but the intent.

By agatha on Friday, August 1, 2008 - 11:16 pm:

Terrifying. I'm speechless. How do we allow kooks to set the agenda for our country so often?

By Nate on Saturday, August 2, 2008 - 01:32 am:

This is perfect.

Smoking and being overweight both reduce the probability of fertilized eggs implanting.

Soon we will be able to slap attempted murder charges on any sexually active woman who is overweight or who smokes.

You have to look for the silver lining in these things.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, August 2, 2008 - 10:41 am:

"Terrifying. I'm speechless. How do we allow kooks to set the agenda for our country so often?"

Isn't it just as simple as apathy and ignorance? When most people simply care about their own lives and only perk up when something threatens their comfort, and when the media does them no help with 24 hour news cycles covering gaffes and perceptions instead of issues and policy details - and scandals last days unless they are 'sexy' - what else do you expect?

If there's nobody watching the store, people will steal from it.

By Nate on Saturday, August 2, 2008 - 12:50 pm:

do we still believe this is a democracy?

By platypus on Saturday, August 2, 2008 - 03:35 pm:

So does drinking coffee, actually. Young women are already treated as "pre-pregnant" by policy by the DHHS, so maybe we'll be subject to a whole list of banned substances!

Rowlfe, I think the problem is even more deeply engrained. These kooks were elected, which means that a constituency somewhere actively likes them, and supports their policy decisions. It's not just apathy, it's conscious choice, and that scares me way more.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, August 2, 2008 - 05:16 pm:

I don't think most people really know what they're choosing/enabling. Case in point, the jaded Hillary supporters who claim they will vote McCain. Short term spite against a platform nearly identical to the one they supposedly were behind. Who exactly do they think they are punishing by voting Republican?

By Nate on Saturday, August 2, 2008 - 07:31 pm:

could someone explain how voting for obama in the primaries was anti-woman? those hillary supporters are symptomatically equivalent to the hardcore christian right.

people don't understand issues. they side with someone the way they side with a cast away on survivor. they choose on minimal information, and rarely are minds changed once they are made.

it doesn't matter if we uncorrupt our voting machines when the TV tells us what is important and who we should vote for.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, August 2, 2008 - 10:20 pm:

"could someone explain how voting for obama in the primaries was anti-woman?"

I suppose John Kerry was anti-woman and anti-black for running against Carol Mosely-Braun.

Yep, while I can definitely admit there are many attracted to Obama based on personality politics, Hillary and for that matter McCain, certainly have their own core keeping them afloat with bullshit that has nothing to do with anything. I personally have friends who are simply mad that a black man could be president before a woman, and for that matter, I've seen on many message boards angry Jewish people mad that they will also have to wait. Tribal bullshit.

By sarah on Saturday, August 2, 2008 - 11:58 pm:

i saw someone yesterday with a tee shirt on that said

How bad does it have to get before YOU do something?

granted, it was a Ron Paul in 09 tee shirt. but still.

By J on Sunday, August 3, 2008 - 01:25 am:

My spwan R has a tee shirt of W looking stupid(not like it's hard to do)that say's Not My President.I loves it.

By droopy on Monday, August 4, 2008 - 12:02 pm:

as long as there is fierce debate like this, democracy in america will never die.

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, August 4, 2008 - 10:11 pm:

I believe this says it all:

"It's pernicious," said Janet Crepps, an attorney with the Center for Reproductive Rights.

By agatha on Monday, August 4, 2008 - 11:34 pm:

Pernicious. Perfect.

Rowlfe- yes. It's complete laziness and apathy.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, August 5, 2008 - 11:23 am:

government (if you can call it that) by the rich for the rich. Only intent is to further insulate and isolate them's that's got and them's that's wants. the US has never been a democracy, never been a republic, but always has been, since GW(ashington) appointed himself president, an oligarchy. We have only the chredded illusion of democracy here. Washington was the richest man in the whole world when he became the first president. It is about power and money; and when you are powerfully monied you are in control of the power. Big oil is about to give way to big pharma, or at least they are doping us up to be duped.Absolutely doped (drug of choice in US is now clearly antidepressants, no longer valium)gives them absolute power. WTF.

By sarah on Tuesday, August 5, 2008 - 02:17 pm:

you know, the more i think about this new draft regulation on birth control, the more i can't help but be completely flabbergasted by its sheer stupidity.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 5, 2008 - 03:39 pm:

leaving los angeles

first stop carolina

last stop france

seriously....this shit has gotten out of control. im pretty hopeless about this place. everyday theres something that happens that reaffirms this reducing my options to simply leaving this shit hole.

fuckin a

By sarah on Tuesday, August 5, 2008 - 10:34 pm:

i second that, brotha.

By agatha on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 12:20 pm:

From what I hear, France is not without its flaws as well. Wait until we have a new president, at least!

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 01:06 pm:

Patrick, have a safe trip! Bon Voyage!

By Danielssss on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 03:50 pm:

And this tidbit about CCP (China) could equally apply to the rift between rich and poor in this country (US):

Since (Deng Xiaoping's) (GWB AND OUR WONDERFULLY INEPT CONGRESSIONAL ) economic reforms in the 1980's, the gap between (CCP)(CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING REPUBLICAN RELIGOUS) ideology and reality has only been widening. The (CCP)(US GOVT) has evolved into a party of elite interest groups, confronting a crisis of legitimacy in the face of increasing social ills: corruption, lawlessness, economic disparity, unemployment, a floating population, lack of social welfare and healthcare, environmental disasters, and above all, a growing discontented population that is from almost all walks of life.

SOUNDS LIKE THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT THE US UNDER GWB AND AN EQUALLY IDOTIC CONGRESS.

By Danielssss on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 02:22 pm:

From Mark Thomas, 1994, maybe:

Maybe tonight I'll sit by the river and
    The Lord will come and talk with me.

Or maybe tonight some beasts from Mars will glory me away in a flying
    machine,
    Or maybe St. Peter in his craft will pluck me from this earth and fill me
    with Heaven.
    Then I will know The Lord has seen me all along, and sees me wandering now,
    Numb and gaping, body stopped and stranded, desperately looking to the
    skies.

Mark, you touch more lives than you will ever know,man. Keep it up.

By droopy on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 07:45 pm:

i googled "egg in beer". it turns out there was an expression in the 40s that went "so you want an egg in your beer" as a response to a request that one might think is beyond the call of duty.

i also found that there's a legitimate reason to put an egg in your beer: eggs contain cysteine, a substance that can break down acetaldehyde in the liver and thus help prevent a hangover. some people put a raw egg in the beer, some a pickled one.

i picked up two six packs of blue marble organic pilsner today. the guy selling it said that if i liked ipa (india pale ale), then i'd liked this. i do like ipa. and the blue marble was on sale. maybe i'll try putting an egg in one of them.

danielssss, you touch more lives than you will ever know, man. keep it up.

the real place i got the idea for putting eggshells in acidic liquids:

a-1 pick-me-up

1 pint dark rum
    1 lb rock candy
    1 doz eggs
    1 doz lemons

squeeze the lemon juice into a crock pot; add the eggs broken in their shells. cover with a damp cloth and allow to stand for several days. the shells will dissolve. when ready, strain through a cheesecloth into another pot. combine the rum and rock candy in a saucepan; boil with a quart of water until smooth. combine with the egg mixture and bottle for future use.

By Nate on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 08:09 pm:

i don't understand that recipe.

have you had dogfish head's 90 minute IPA, droop?

By sarah on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:00 pm:

in austin for the past few years there's a dogfish head festival.

have you had the raison d'etre? it's better than cheesecake for dessert. or the shelton? damn.

By sarah on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:04 pm:

daniel, we're coming to st. louis for labor day weekend - so senor's mom can meet her granddaughter. will you be around?

By droopy on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:30 am:

i understand the recipe, nate. i've just never worked up the courage to try it.

i have tried dogfish - in austin, as a matter of fact - but i don't remember what type it was.

by the way, blue marble pilsner is only just ok. even without an egg in it.

By Nate on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:31 am:

they just started stocking dogfish head in around here, and all i've had is the 90 minute IPA, which is just a beautiful beer, and the midas touch, which is not for me.

i'm not a fan of belgian-style yeasts or fruit in beer, as a general rule. there are some exceptions.

russian river brewing co is now bottling pliny the elder. another fantastic IPA.

By Nate on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:33 am:

did it make sense to compare the blue marble to an IPA? is it strongly hopped?

i could do the recipe, i just don't understand what you get out of it. some sort of foul tasting but calcium rich tincture? it wouldn't have any alcohol in it, right? what's the point?

By Danielssss on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 02:27 pm:

Thanks, Droopy. Does "when ready" mean that the mold has appeared? the froth turned green? or the shells have dissolved. Seems a waste of rum.

Sarah, I will be here in the great midwaste, but there's an invitation to Evansville IN on the table for the weekend. I am strongly averse going anywhere driving on holiday weekends. SO likely will be here. And would surely like to catch up with you and yours, meet senor and your little one.

lemme know. betnomore at gmail and the cell # is still the same

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact