Palin? Seriously?

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Palin? Seriously?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 01:07 pm:

Ok, show of hands.

How many of you even heard of her before today?

By droopy on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 01:13 pm:

not unless you mean michael palin in drag.

By sarah on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 01:30 pm:

if this actually works for mccain, it is case closed if there was any doubt of the gullibility and stupidity of american voters.

but i actually think that it's going to backfire on him, in the end. it's been made plain - american voters are not ready for women in the whitehouse. which, you know, whatever. i'm so beyond gender.

By sarah on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 01:36 pm:

can anyone look up for me what her record is on drilling in alaska?

i'm too busy packing, we're leaving for st. louis in a couple hours.

By Nate on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 01:55 pm:

how has it been made plain that american voters are not ready for a woman in the whitehouse?

her husband works in the oil industry.

By sarah on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 02:07 pm:

geraldine ferraro.

hilary clinton.

but neither of them have husbands who work in the oil industry.

By Nate on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 02:23 pm:

seriously? ferraro could have had a cock like telephone pole and nuts the size of a vw bugs and mondale still wouldn't have done any better against reagan.

but i see your point with hillary. it was either a woman or a black dude, and the democratic party is (just slightly) more sexist than racist.

palin is a woman, which will probably draw some of the sexist-feminists who were voting hillary over obama based solely on gender. she brought up hillary's 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling, and proclaimed that she (palin) is going to shatter it.

palin has a son going to Iraq this September (the 11th, of all days, if you can believe that.) that will give her extra cred in discussions about our troops.

palin has a retarded baby. i'm sure that's good for points somewhere.

palin opposed the bridge to nowhere/ted stevens thing. she's all about cleaning up government.

palin is aggressively pro-life, which mccain needs.

the downside is that she has almost no experience whatsoever, and could very well become president if mccain is elected.

By kazu on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 02:29 pm:

Biden also has a son going to Iraq, but not until October 3rd. Does that day have any patriotic significance? Anyone? Anyone?

I think a telephone pole sized cock would have worked against the Mondale/Ferraro ticket as well.

By Rowlfe on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 03:21 pm:

I wonder if this will turn out to be a brilliant masterstroke. I don't count on people seeing what a transparent ploy this is

By agatha on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 03:27 pm:

Pro life woman- booooooo. She did bust some corruption scheme involving oil wide open in Alaska, which is a good thing. She at least seems fairly ethical in comparison to most of her party. However, I was talking about her yesterday with an 85 year old woman who hailed from Alaska, who was passionate in her hatred for Palin. She was also worried that she was going to fall asleep before Obama spoke last night.

By Dougie on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 04:42 pm:

She's kinda hot too, at least the few pix I've seen.

By droopy on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 05:01 pm:

actually, now i remember her from the craig ferguson show. she wasn't a guest, but she had sent him a video granting him honorary citizenship of alaska. ferguson thought she was sexy.

By Rowlfe on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 05:13 pm:

with a couple hours to mull it over without talking heads, etc - I think John McCain just blew it hard. Maybe I'm putting too much faith in people to realize this was a Harriet Myers pick, but I think for any PUMAs he may pick up, a lot of the regular Republican base (even though shes pro life, etc) are going to be VERY pissed off.

By platypus on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 05:56 pm:

Palin is very pro-drilling in Alaska.

She's also in the midst of a corruption scandal.

I may have trashed Biden earlier, but I kind of can't wait to see him shred her at the debates.

By platypus on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 05:57 pm:

Also, Kazu, October 3, 1964 marked the introduction of the buffalo wing, which is pretty darn patriotic if you ask me.

By Rowlfe on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 06:06 pm:

"She's also in the midst of a corruption scandal. "

Apparently she got her sisters ex fired or something...

I doubt McCain even know anything about her other than what his advisors told him. I mean I saw Hutchinson on TV forced to spin for the pick, and saying she knows absolutely nothing about her.

The coup de grace though, was apparently Palin was on TV about a month ago, and when she was asked about speculation, she said basically that someone was going to have to explain what the VP actually does all day first.

By Nate on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 06:20 pm:

so... can anyone speak to the pros/cons of announcing this in a stadium that is apparently called the "nutter center" ??

By Rowlfe on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 06:32 pm:

Apparently McCain has only met Palin once or twice before.

Its like Bush 'looking into Putins soul' all over again.

Hoo boy. Gimmick Veep.

By droopy on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 06:56 pm:

that's american politics for you.

when franklin roosevelt was running for his 4th and last term in office, he needed to find somebody - anybody - to get his former vp henry wallace off the ticket. by committee, they settled on obscure senator truman from missouri. truman so didn't want to be vp that they had to stage a phone call that truman "secretly" listens in on where roosevelt tells another man that truman is trying to undermine the unity of the party. that forced him into the position. i don't think roosevelt had ever met him before that and i've heard that he rarely ever spoke to him after they took office.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 11:19 pm:

So, what is up with putin all over again accusing American for helping Georgian start war with Russia? I know Putin want to start it all over again. But I was told of that that there are American over there as humanitarian aid helping those unfortuneatly people who needs help.

By droopy on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 12:52 am:

Inevitably, America's prospective first woman VP will be judged partly on her appearance, so I hope she will be careful with her choice of spectacle-frames and avoid the short-sighted librarian look in some of her (probably older) pictures on the web. Frames that form a severe horizontal line across the top of the eyepieces or across the bridge of the nose tend to produce that effect. The one currently on the DT home page looks just right. Light, unobtrusive frames composed of curves. Professional but not frumpish, and she looked OK on the podium. Alright I'm being superficial and probably sexist and seem to have appointed myself as a spectacle-critic, but these things can make a difference.

--comment from the Telegraph newspaper, London.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 12:52 am:

what the hell is a woman with a 4 month old child with downs syndrome doing away from home on the campaign trail?

I hate kids, and frankly - I'm kind of rude when it comes to all handicapped people, I'm an asshole that way - but I don't think wagging my finger and saying "Bad mom" is out of line.

By droopy on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 01:07 am:

it's ok, handicapped people annoy me too. all those protests about "tropic thunder" made me a little worried about going to see the movie. i liked it better when we were ignored and shunned by society. and that's not irony.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 01:26 am:

The Daily Show swatted Palin like an insignificant fly.

I mean seriously, some people are propping her up today. Within a week the late night comedians themselves will have ruined this pick. Obama doesnt even need to say ANYTHING

By Antigone on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 02:25 am:

By Rowlfe on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 02:40 am:

so....

Palin is a member of the Assemblies of God

Speaking in tongues, stick waving pentecostal Assemblies of God.

wowza. I hate everything I know about this woman.

By platypus on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 05:42 am:

Did you see the photo in the NYT with her posing on a couch covered in a GIANT DEAD BEAR? Because I got a little bit of a veepon when I saw that, whooo booy.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 01:33 pm:

By Semillama on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 11:16 pm:

She supports the shooting of wolves from helicopters.

and the teaching of creationism along side evolution.

My friend raised a good point today. Just because she's McCain's pick doesn't mean she will receive the nomination. If the delegates don't support her, McCain will have to withdraw the nomination.

By Rowlfe on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:21 am:

Palin opposes the use of birth control pills and condoms even among married couples

By droopy on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 01:01 am:

krauthammer might not like her, but most of the rest of the right seems to. they're doing a little circle jerk for her at the national review. she'll ride this out because she's a woman and a "revolutionary" choice (to counterbalance the democrats) who still has all the right views (the sins being listed piecemeal on this thread). i think the republican convention will be better than any beauty contest she's ever been in.

her problems will probably start when she has to debate joe biden. she did pretty well in alaska, but she's never really been in the trenches in washington. it'll be interesting to see how she handles it. she might even rise to the occasion, for all i know. all i know is factoids.

By Rowlfe on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 01:47 am:

By droopy on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 02:14 am:

the night mccain announced her as his running mate and brought her up on stage, she praised both hillary and geraldine ferraro and got polite applause from a crowd who knew how to behave when the big guy was there. just because a crowd probably filled with repub cranks booed the mention of the name hillary really doesn't seem like much. everybody with half-a-brain knows why she's really doing it.

i could be wrong; i've never had much of a political mind. but i wanna play too.

By platypus on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 02:29 am:

By Rowlfe on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:50 am:

By TBone on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:27 pm:

Just seems like McCain is completely abandoning any attempt to win on merit.

I mean, it's all a game, but he's not even pretending anymore.

By Rowlfe on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:28 pm:

It's like he went to the race track and bet everything on "Women Are Fucking Retarded" in the 4th

By Spider on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 06:18 pm:

The problem is that People are fucking retarded and half of People are Women.

By TBone on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 07:18 pm:

By Rowlfe on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 07:24 pm:

I saw that article today too.

On ABC today Cindy McCain said that Palin has national security experience because Alaska is close to Russia.

jesus fucking christ

By Rowlfe on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 07:27 pm:

Palin thinks the founding fathers wrote the pledge of allegience, and "Under God" was part of it at the time

" Question: Are you offended by the phrase “Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not?

SP: Not on your life. If it was good enough for the founding fathers, its good enough for me and I’ll fight in defense of our Pledge of Allegiance."

This woman is a fucking retard. If the US votes McCain in, as far as I'm concern, the US is fired.

By droopy on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 07:52 pm:

there's short article at the national review on how palin has the "right stuff for foreign policy". the article is short because her right stuff only takes up one sentence: "she understands that aggression has to be resisted and commitments have to be honored." you know, just in general. after that the rest of the article is a dig at biden.

By Rowlfe on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:02 pm:

you know that 'fake pregnancy' thing?

While I think its REALLY questionable that so many blogs are trying to make it a story - because if and when they are shown wrong its going to take power away from the other more veriable scandals and questions -

the more i've read on this today, a couple of the details are just plain... weird.. So the daughter was taken out of school for several months because she had mono? Convenient. and that long flight after the water broke back to alaska not telling anyone she was pregnant?

This is a big enough, "secret muslim" damaging whisper campaign that if its defendable, we will see the medical records and birth certificates sooner rather than later. If they can defend the smear, I hope they do so right away.

By Rowlfe on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:06 pm:

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 12:57 am:

By Daniel ssss on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 02:25 am:

gotta love it. "The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them." Orwell

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 01:22 pm:

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 01:36 pm:

with a couple minutes to put up that shock...

Palin's choice to accept the VP nom has led to her publicly humiliating her 17 year old daughter. Disgusting

By droopy on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 02:20 pm:

don't over do it, rowlfe

By platypus on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 02:25 pm:

Looks like voters aren't so hot on Palin, and let's not forget this choice example of parenting.

I also note that the timing of the pregnancy is ideally positioned to dispel rumors about the daughter's earlier pregnancy...either way, it's good to know how effective abstinence-only education can be!

By droopy on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 02:34 pm:

also, the daughter - sources say - is going to marry the father and not get one of those horrible liberal abortions. the story is spinnable. at least she was at the alaskan age of consent when it happened.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 02:37 pm:

I dont know what 'over reacting' is. Between my extended evangelical family having teen pregnancy after teen pregnancy, and still opposing sex-ed... and my social worker sister having horror story after horror story, the immediate attempt to spin this into pro-life credentials absolutely disgusts me. I believe this teenager made a very bad, uninformed choice, and she has responsibility for it, but so does her dipshit mom, and any exploitation of it from any side that will come is horrible. The media and left will look bad for doing it, to be sure, but ultimately, I think Sarah Palin put politics above her family.

By droopy on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 05:04 pm:

i was talking about the "publicly humiliate" part. you almost sounded like an evangelical there. teen pregnancy isn't that much of a stigma anymore. remember britney spear's little sister? this might even help the right to be more compassionate toward pregnant teens, if not pro-choice. it could happen, now that they have to spin this one.

the pregnancy was going to come out - publicly - in alaska anyway. now that palin is part of the mccain machine, the kid is probably better off. it's in the interest of the republicans that this kid is taken care of. palin probably did her daughter a favor. if anybody wants to humiliate the girl, it's the democrats.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 05:10 pm:

im sure many democrats are going schaudenfraude with this, but i would have figured the genuine 'shes a slut' talk would come from the moral crusaders. i can only base that on my experience, but considering the political overtones that might be balanced out by those who will defend Palin no matter what.

I simply would figure that given a choice between the people of Alaska knowing I had a teen pregnancy and the entire nation, I'd go with the former.

By droopy on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 05:11 pm:

it was supposed to be "seem more compassionate"

By Danielssss on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 05:27 pm:

so if we do the math and expect a) early termination of former pregnancy by daughter, and b) late delivery date for the second baby, the republicans do believe in immaculate conception.

Maybe Palin's daughter is the daughter of Zion, the new scion, or whatever the hell is supposed to be coming.

Mark of the beast yes, politics. let the kid alone.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 05:28 pm:

As for the more compassionate thing. Well, in the cases within my relatives or who my sister works with, most of these teen pregnancies have been among poor families, often broken homes. I have a half-brother I havent seen in years - my dad was 'oopsed' when he was a teenager by a girl from a broken home. Psychologically I suppose someone would say the kids from broken homes do this sort of thing to build a new family, have something to love..

I don't know why it sounds evangelical, I just think its kind of tragic. Palin's kid is better off, most certainly, seeing as they are well off, and no matter what the rest of them truly think about what her daughter did, they are pretty much forced to support her and make sure things work out for the best.

But we dont, and probably wont, know the detailed circumstances unless someone blabs, why it happened, accident or on purpose, etc. it doesnt even matter. But I don't think a zillion "Juno"s are going to remove the stigma and embarrassment of a nation of people judging you. I don't know how a 17 year old, even Jamie Lynn Spears, is prepared for it. Am I out of touch? I don't know, but if I sound prudish and upset its because I really don't want to see a teen pregnancy spun as a positive.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 05:39 pm:

One main result from this weekend though:

Since the press and bloggers have had to do the vetting that McCain didn't do himself, in 3 days I am still both car crash attracted to each new thing that spills out, and absolutely sick of hearing about her.

It's like a loose tooth, it hurts but I can't stop paying attention to it.

By Antigone on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 10:29 pm:

Republicans can spin anything.

Anything.

Obama has no experience: BAD!
    Palin has no experience: GOOD!

Your daughter has a child out of wedlock: BAD! (Shows your irresponsible parenting.)
    Palin's daughter has a child out of wedlock: GOOD! (Shows she lives by her pro-life beliefs.)

I'm wondering what the spin will be if it comes out the father would be convicted of statutory rape in most states. Age of consent in Alaska is 16, but not in much of the union. The age of the father isn't known at the moment, but the probability is high that in most of America (and definitely in McCain's home state of Arizona) he'd be guilty of statutory rape.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 10:36 pm:

I think I read he was 18

By Antigone on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 10:52 pm:

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 11:00 pm:

McCain wanted Liebermann, apparently advisors said no. This was a rushed comprimise with no vetting.

Today McCain hired Tucker Eschew, the guy in charge of sliming him in 2000 with the 'black baby' smear.

You know, it wasn't that long ago I was a mild McCain defender. He's done everything to tarnish his image with me. Its just just an us vs. them thing, he's seriously sold out everything about himself that made him stand out from his party.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 11:00 pm:

*not just an us vs. them thing.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, September 2, 2008 - 04:07 pm:

Permalink Reply by roman on August 12, 2008 at 6:01pm
    The dependence of industrial agriculture on fossil fuels, the declining fertility of the land, and the positive feedbacks imposed by declining net energy will force the economy to divert much more investment into the agriculture and energy sectors as part of a desperate attempt to maintain agricultural output. Government budgets must also decline in real terms as greater and greater fractions of the economy are diverted into the resource sectors.
    As resource quality and land fertility continue to fall, society will be forced to allocate more and more capital to the agriculture and resource sectors, otherwise the scarcity of food, materials, and fuels would restrict production still more -- it's circular, there is no way to avoid the positive feedback. Ultimately, industrial capacity will decline rapidly taking with it the service and agricultural sectors, which depend upon industrial inputs.

Constrained by the laws of thermodynamics, the availability of life-supporting resources will go into a permanent, steep decline.

In less than 20 years, the self-regulating market system will have "run out of gas" and vanished. With the market system gone, the ruling elites will fall back on the good old-fashioned means of control: a police state. In the US alone, 200 million guns in private ownership guarantee that this police state will quickly devolve into rebellion and anarchy.

If the anarchy scenario were to reach its natural conclusion, the global elites would be eliminated by the angry masses. Those who managed to escape would die more miserably than the poor since they are unsuited for day-to-day survival because they lived their lives like queen bees.

But when the above scenario seems inevitable, the elites will simply depopulate most of the planet with a bioweapon. When the time comes, it will be the only logical solution to their problem. It's a first-strike tactic that leaves the built-infrastructure and other species in place and allows the elites to perpetuate their own genes into the foreseeable future: "War is a male reproductive strategy. All that is needed for the strategy to evolve, is that aggressors fight and win more often than they lose".

The global genocide will be rationalized as a second chance for humanity -- a new Garden of Eden -- a new Genesis. The temptation will prove irresistible:

http://dieoff.org/page185.htm

also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

(I just found this interesting.)

By patrick on Tuesday, September 2, 2008 - 05:57 pm:

S A R A H P A L I N

I S

A W E S O M E

seriously, she's gonna sink the Mccain ship real fuckin fast.

i love that little dust up over having a police commissioner fired after he refused to have her former brother in law (a state trooper) fired.
    T R O O P E R G A T E
    I S
    A W E S O M E!

the whole baby mama thing? fuck yeah. all good stuff. good for obama to step away from this. the media will do the dirty work on this story.

i find it offensive that the mccain camp would imply with this selection that hillary voters switch their hillary vote to a mccain vote based on gender alone. there's no fucking comparison between those who supported hillary and those who support palin.

i actually like the fact that "gustav" and "palin" are taking some spotlight from mccain.

did you hear now, that the downs syndrome baby was actually her daughter's. its preposterous but at the same time its nice to see the shit being stirred over on that side.

By Nate on Tuesday, September 2, 2008 - 06:15 pm:

it is bait. it is to make the left look bad and it is working.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 2, 2008 - 07:00 pm:

i don't see that but i don't live in the bay area. everything im reading or listening too is more observational than judgmental....and the observations being primarily about whether the choice was a wise one or now as new little bits of this woman's personal and professional life get brought out.

i think the mccain camp made a huge blunder in picking her. she's is a target from so many points of attack, legitimate criticisms and some not.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 - 01:23 am:

I dont know. the initial Babygate was bad, but the reality erased that part of it. McCain has no control of the media narrative, has been hiding. Palin has been hiding. The predictions markets are betting on her withdrawing, which will make McCain look even worse. His judgment is being questioned every day, talking points are failing.

i can't buy the 'shitty liberals' side, because frankly - McCain didnt vet Palin, so now bloggers are doing it, and they're the bad guys? The liberals are wusses when they dont attack, and venomous fascists when they do? No win situation?

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 - 01:26 am:

Let's put it this way - i dont think its just "uppity SF liberals" reacting here. When US Weekly is attacking Palin, when my boss, who lives in the richest, most conservative part of this province, is outraged at McCain for picking her and at Palin for ultimately putting her daughter in the national spotlight like this, and when the overall polls are showing that women aren't buying the pick and Obama's numbers are rising, I can safely say that the Palin disaster narrative has politically moved mainstream.

By droopy on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 - 02:06 am:

what i see is the republicans circling the wagons around palin. i see the democrats and the "liberal media" becoming chastened and slowly backing off because of the backlash from the republicans. it's safe to say that uppity liberals have, for now, only strengthened her candidacy.

palin will be on the ticket with mccain from now on. nothing anybody write in newspapers, magazines, or blogs is going to change that. mccain has got to commit to her because dropping her off the ticket would be a worse move - damage his credibility even more the choosing her in the first place.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 - 02:11 am:

and even if i was being mean, its hard to shut me up about the republicans only being able to jazz up their ticket by pandering even further to right wing extremists. isn't it clear that by firing up the republican base, the democrat base has been fired up as well?

I mean christ, its even out now that she cut funding for teen moms, slashing funding for
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/02/palin_slashed_funding_to_help.html

"Palin reduced funding for Covenant House Alaska by more than 20 percent, cutting funds from $5 million to $3.9 million. Covenant House is a mix of programs and shelters for troubled youths, including Passage House, which is a transitional home for teenage mothers."

all this stuff is relevant, and besides making Palin look bad, the bigger issue is that it makes McCain's judgment look clumsy, reckless, cynical, and risky.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 - 12:37 pm:

Hey even more interesting than babygate might be life on mars and how the Bush administration is saving that trump card release to favor McCain.

This is why I like the internet.

http://www.enterprisemission.com/Chandra-NASA-Accusation.htm

Yeah, even Captain Kirk is involved...I mean after all, he is promoting himself (taking on the role a shaman in the media commercials for) role playing somewhat shamelessly... We move further in these politics, further from reality, all the time. Ice, life and now republicans on mars.

but then again, don't we simply create our own reality?

By heather on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 - 01:09 pm:

it is not so simple

By Danielssss on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 - 05:16 pm:

but it is that we create it.

By wisper on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 - 08:11 pm:

I don't know what pisses me off more about that link:
    1) that i read the whole thing
    2) that Libertarians are involved, or
    3) that the conspiracy nuts believe that the White House believes that human society is too frail to handle the idea of bacterial life on Mars. Omg, mind-bending shit.

By The Watcher on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 02:01 am:

I just saw her speak tonight at the convention.

I like her.

I think after tonight we could possibly be looking at the first woman president of the United States. She does have something Hillery wishes she had - poise and grace.

By semillama on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 11:45 am:

You like a person who:

-intimidates librarians to remove books from library shelves?
    -believes the Iraq War was a task from God?
    -cut state funding to help teen mothers?
    -calls herself a fiscal conservative while leaving her town $23 million in debt?
    -wants creationism taught along side evolution in high school science classes?
    -fired an administrator who wouldn't fire her ex-brother-in-law,involved in a nasty divorce battle with her sister?
    -supported a $150 bounty on wolves and supports the aerial slaughter of wolves?
    -sued the Bush administration's EPA to delist Polar Bears from the Endangered Species List because the listing could have an effect on oil development?
    -was once a member of the Alaska Independence Party, which advocates secession from the union?

Oh, but she supposedly has "poise and grace" - fine, go with that.

By platypus on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 11:49 am:

Actually Sem, she wasn't a member of the AIP, although First Dude was.

But I will add that she's *cut* funding to schools which support special needs children, which kind of runs contrary to her whole "you'll have a friend in the White House" comment.

By platypus on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 11:51 am:

Also, why isn't anyone talking about her preacher problem?

By sarah on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 12:00 pm:

drill baby drill ?

fucking hell

By patrick on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 12:48 pm:

watcher is a good example of many americans. they get an idea, usually soft pitched by fox news or cnn and they kinda wrap themselves up in it emotionally.

has clinton ever been associated with a lack of poise and grace? i mean....what does that mean exactly? like, she didn't bring poise, grace, humility during the whole monica lewinsky fiasco?

just like this whole mccain "maverick" crap. you keep perpetuating an idea, regardless of how rooted in reality it is, and eventually people eat it.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 04:17 pm:

By semillama on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 05:40 pm:

By The Watcher on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 07:21 pm:

Yes, I like her despite what all the liberals say.

No, I did not makeup my mind watching Fox news. I checked out other sources as well.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 07:45 pm:

"-intimidates librarians to remove books from library shelves?
    -believes the Iraq War was a task from God?
    -cut state funding to help teen mothers?
    -calls herself a fiscal conservative while leaving her town $23 million in debt?
    -wants creationism taught along side evolution in high school science classes?
    -fired an administrator who wouldn't fire her ex-brother-in-law,involved in a nasty divorce battle with her sister?
    -supported a $150 bounty on wolves and supports the aerial slaughter of wolves?
    -sued the Bush administration's EPA to delist Polar Bears from the Endangered Species List because the listing could have an effect on oil development?
    -was once a member of the Alaska Independence Party, which advocates secession from the union? "

Despite what liberals.... SAY? So if its reported that she did something... its just 'said' that she did it? Did you actually look into any of this?

I swear man, if America somehow approves of this person, I could very well, honestly, become truly anti-American. I would lose all faith. The idea that the majority of Americans approve of her and what she has done makes me want to vomit. It's a dramatic statement, but at this moment is feels so goddamn true.

By Nate on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 08:47 pm:

wait until the north west passage opens and the USA, Russia and China jump Canada and partition it up. You'll really love us then.

By Danielssss on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 08:54 pm:

yep, all of it is pretty mind bending shit. What about that bridge to Asia? We could float one to Japan, huh?

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 08:59 pm:

It always comes back to that shit.

Listen, we take a lot of derisive bullying from the States, especially from the American right - and in fact, that itself has probably made this nation more anti-american in reaction than anything else. Saying "you'll love us" about hypothetical military situations is a humongous turnoff. There's a lot to love about America, but when I see hate fests like last night from people who claim to love America, but make it so clear they hate half the people living in it:

- That 'Democrat', 'Progressive', 'liberal' and 'communist' all mean the same thing

- Evolution = atheist = no morals

- Education = elitism

- Pro-choice = Pro-abortion

- Muslims = Arabs, Arabs = Muslims, Muslim sounding names = Muslims

- People choose to live in poverty and want

Well goddamit forgive me for at least temporarily hating America back if mroe than half of them will agree with that and vote for it.

By the way, Iraq doesn't seem to 'love' you very much for saving them from Saddam. There's very good reasons beyond religious extremism and cultural brainwashing. Bill Clinton has lost a lot of respect from me by the way he's been such a baby the last couple years, but one thing from his speech is dead on:

I am much more impressed by the power of your example, than the example of your power. The US will impress me a hell of a lot more by showing reason, intelligence and moral character in leading the world, than it will from saving people from bullies only as a side effect of protecting its own interests.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 09:10 pm:

So basically, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" and all that. I really wish more Americans would think of the psychological toll America's dominance plays on the rest of the world.

I mean fuck Nate, yesterday you were complaining about ivory tower SF liberals. Do you realize how condescending the 'one day you'll thank us' attitude is, even if its joking? It doesn't matter if its from an intellectual or a redneck, that shit doesn't earn respect from anyone.

By heather on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 10:10 pm:

watcher, s/liberals/people with a modicum of intelligence

you depress me, man

By Nate on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 10:55 pm:

that's lost on me, rowlfe. i was saying you'll love us when we join russia and china to partition canada the way austria, prussia, and russia partitioned poland in the 18th century. you'll love us when you become part of america.

not that we'd save your ass.

nothing about thanking us.

maybe you should lay of the huge cokes and tylenol pm.

By sarah on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 11:28 pm:

code pink got air time at the RNC two nights on a row. loves it.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 12:26 am:

"you'll love us when you become part of america."

Canada joining the US would be America's biggest nightmare. You'd never have a Republican president again.

Assuming you let us vote.

The second a bomb drops on this country, I'd move to Norway or Australia anyways, so whatever.

on McCain's speech:

snooze. nothing anger-inducing simply because it was generic Republican stuff, but without the fire and brimstone. kinda funny at the end he encouraged everyone to go out and help the public and do all these things... that a community organizer does.

By Nate on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 12:52 am:

i hear the dutch are really appreciative for your help with the nazis.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 12:59 am:

Ima fuck me a cloghopper

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 02:25 am:

to be clear Nate, I hear the "we're going to have to save your ass because you have no military lol" so often... that's just how it came across

wisper got what you were saying. I didn't.

By platypus on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 02:35 am:

I think we need a Sorabjite presence at the next convention cycle. It's been too long.

By sarah on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 10:38 am:

my friends, i don't see how anyone, republican, democrat, independent or otherwise, my friends, could come away after listening to McSame's speech thinking that he's actually offering american's anything different, my friends, than we've had for the last 8 years, my friends.

although i did come away from that speech feeling as though i have a better understanding of why his physical movements and mannerisms seem so robotic. i don't think he can lift his arms up over his head because his bones were never set right when both arms were broken in nam.

By Nate on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 12:31 pm:

either that or he has been replaced with a robotic likeness.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 12:40 pm:

Its actually hard for me to get too upset or snarky over McCain's speech. It felt like the end of a career rather than a new chapter, honestly - like an old man knowing he has a hard chance of winning just wanting to go out using his biggest profile speech to try and keep his integrity

It wasn't interesting, but its a better swansong than he probably deserves

By Danielssss on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 01:37 pm:

See my alter ego's Azlow's speech elswhere and different killed thread...about Republican diassapointmentphoraic depression about being once a Republican, about once being.

I just think that this country is way too far out of control to right itself. Unless the entire process gets over hauled. We have moved so far from the intention of its people to live in peace, to help other countries without regard to personal US profit in doing so, so far from government by-for the people, that the sane and rationale thing might be to buy a used Airstream and head for the desert in Mexico.

Few colonists wanted the revolution: it was the ruling elite that wantd to secede from mother Britain. Not that i am unhappy to be independent of the Brits. Our forefathers wanted mostly to be left alone to prosper in a new land, in peace with our red brothers. It was only the fearful missionary and profiterring politician who wanted war. So has much changed?
    Certainly. As a country we have broken every -- and I mean every treaty that our government ever signed. (See On the Justice of Roosting Chickens for details) We are a nation of warmongers. We are a people of peace. None of our allies and certainly our public detractors like us. As a nation. And they do not know us as a people. Public attrocieites like both the DNC and RNC only serve to villify the images of American people as...what I am not sure.

McSame's speech really left me deflated. There's a lot of meanness in this process of governance. So when nearly senile robotic McSame is judged unfit to rule, if on the long shot he is elected, do we really want an inexperienced veep such as he has selected to run the country. I can see an auction of the excess military might on ebay?

is this any better? Any more than after the O-man gets assassinated simply for being the first black president (even though he is pretty white), do we want The Biden jokester as a leader? What choices do we really have?

It makes no difference, the apathetic American says. And it likely won't as long as big oil and big pharma keeps wringing profits from what's left of the middle class.

Yes, big goverment will always be a friend so long as you agree with its abuses.

By Danielssss on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 01:46 pm:

I think this is the right link: funny, and sad. Lisa is one creative woman and this is one of the best replies to Palin being selected that i have seen. I don't think i posted it before; forgive me if I did and if it offends anyone, I apologize in advance. Hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-QevraCQUc

By patrick on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 02:11 pm:

wow. thats great.

i could waste a whole lot of time on ms nova. lisa seems like the type of talent to turn up on mad tv or snl in the next year or two.

By Danielssss on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 05:38 pm:

that's what I thought. She's smart and self absorbed but with an edge. I Like her creativity immensely. Her "Affirmation Girl" video is ripe for beginning discussion of uber cyber life. Have you checked out Joanie Gillespie's work on the language and efficasy of cyber relationship development etc? Interesting stuff. Besides our own sorabjite life, I was early on influenced by a univ of iowa's grad student's omphalopsis navelgazer website, where I first found a link to Sarah's Syrup site which led me to Mark's site here. Ten years later I find myself speaking /lecturing on the topics, though I am the first to say I am not at all any sort of an expert. Nor will I accept if nominated to be one. Incredible stuff.

By patrick on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 07:07 pm:

im particularly fond of twitter girl as a commentary on current mores of social networking.

By wisper on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 09:01 pm:

you know what i hate? Blogs. Can't stand them, can't stand reading them, don't know why they're taken seriously by anyone. I hate the word, i hate that it's a verb and a noun. I hate the format. It screams "I'm too lazy to learn shit like layout or XML or any real form of content management, or make a real webpage, but i just got this here internet 3-5 years ago and MY BULLSHIT MUST BE SEEN"

I know I'm an internet snob. I know this. I've been on this bitch for 20 years next year. No celebration, feels more like mourning, because it's still Eternal September and it always will be.

By sarah on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 11:49 pm:

HOLD YOUR HORSES, NORTHERN EXPOSURE!

By sarah on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 11:54 pm:

btw, didn't you know, if you vote for McCain Palin, you really are voting for more of the same.

dontcha know, it's GOD'S WILL that we're fighting in Iraq.

interesting, she sounds a lot like a Muslim extremest. just replace "jesus christ" with "allah".

By Nate on Saturday, September 6, 2008 - 12:51 am:

$0.22 of every federal tax dollar i spend goes to fucking deadbeat red states like alaska.

Hdtex (22 minutes ago) Show Hide
    0 Poor comment Good comment
    Marked as spam
    Reply | Spam
    What a scary loopy cunt

By Nate on Saturday, September 6, 2008 - 01:01 am:

By Rowlfe on Saturday, September 6, 2008 - 02:10 am:

Is it fair to say Palin's religousity is being given the Wright treatment because she's white, and the majority of the public are used to hearing this sort of insanity from other white Christianists?

I mean, I'm drunk, but theres a difference between being exposed to another persons stupdiity, and expressing it yourself.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, September 6, 2008 - 02:12 am:

I mean, its not even that shocking to me - I grew up in it, but insanity is as insanity does and says. Let's pray for a peyepeline. Iraq is gads will, dontcha know.

By Rwfleeeeeeeeeeeee on Saturday, September 6, 2008 - 02:27 am:

*"isn't given the Wright treatment"

I'm drunk.

By J on Saturday, September 6, 2008 - 03:17 am:

By Danielssss on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 12:48 am:

Interesting tidbit:

Friday: Silver State Bank of Nevada Goes Down
    September 6th, 2008

Via: CNN:

Nevada regulators have shut down Silver State Bank. It was the 11th failure this year of a federally insured bank.

Andrew McCain, son of Republican presidential nominee John McCain was a member of the bank’s board, but recently stepped down for “personal reasons,” according to The Wall Street Journal. The younger McCain, 46, had also served on Silver State’s audit committee, and was only with the bank for five months before leaving on July 26, the Journal reported.

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. was appointed receiver of the bank, located in Henderson, Nev. It had $2 billion in assets and $1.7 billion in deposits as of June 30.

The FDIC said Friday the bank’s insured deposits will be assumed by Nevada State Bank of Las Vegas. Its branches will reopen Monday as offices of Nevada State Bank in Nevada and National Bank of Arizona in Arizona.

The agency said depositors of Silver State Bank will continue to have full access to their deposits.

The 11 failures so far this year compare with three for all of 2007, and federal banking officials have said that more banks are in danger of collapse.

Silver State Bank has operated 12 branches in Nevada and Arizona as well as loan offices in Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, California and Florida.

The FDIC estimated its resolution will cost the deposit insurance fund between $450 million and $550 million.

Regular deposit accounts are insured up to $100,000; for some individual retirement accounts, the limit is $250,000.

There were about $20 million in uninsured deposits held in roughly 500 accounts at Silver State that potentially exceeded the insurance limit, the FDIC said.

Concern has been growing over the solvency of some banks amid the housing slump and the steep slide in the mortgage market. The pressures of tighter credit, tumbling home prices and rising foreclosures have been battering many banks, large and small, across the nation.

The largest bank failure by far this year has been that of savings and loan IndyMac Bank, which was seized by regulators on July 11 with about $32 billion in assets and deposits of $19 billion.

The seizure of Pasadena, Calif.-based IndyMac, which was the largest regulated thrift to fail in the United States, prompted hundreds of angry customers to line up for hours in Southern California to demand their money. IndyMac also was the second-largest financial institution to close in U.S. history, after Continental Illinois National Bank in 1984.

The FDIC has been operating the bank, now called IndyMac Federal Bank, under a conservatorship.

The FDIC plans to raise insurance premiums paid by banks and thrifts to replenish its reserve fund after paying out billions of dollars to depositors at IndyMac. The fund, currently at $45 billion, is expected to take a hit from IndyMac of $4 billion to $8 billion.

Federal officials expect turbulence in the banking industry to continue well into next year, and more banks to appear on the FDIC’s internal list of troubled institutions.

Of the 8,500 or so FDIC-insured banks in the country, 117 were considered to be in trouble in the second quarter - the highest level in about five years and up from 90 in the first quarter. The agency doesn’t disclose the banks’ names.

Only 13 percent of banks that make the list fail, on average, and most are nursed back to health or acquired by stronger institutions, according to the FDIC.

Federally insured banks and thrifts set aside a record $50.2 billion to cover losses from soured mortgages and other loans in the April-June quarter, when profits plunged 86 percent from a year earlier.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 07:56 pm:

WOW! I remember back in the 80's my mom told me that there has been several bank failure in Texas. I am not sure what next ? Second Depression Era? Now you tell me, Let me tell you about Economy Stimulus Fund. I don't think it works well, however, I keeps that money in my wallet in just case of economy collaspe. Then I will go else where away from the cities. Just in case, watch your back, and keep in your mind about your plan in case of event of crisis.

By heather on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 08:04 pm:

if the economy collapses your money will just be paper. better go buy some stuff.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 09:40 pm:

Yeah I know.....

By jack on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 02:00 am:

YOU NEED WEAPONS

By Danielssss on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 11:18 am:

and ammo and food and water and shelter. Possibly diamonds, anything good to barter. That's how my family escaped Germany...and they weren't even Jewish. Wrap diamonds in saran wrap and swallow. Gives you a few days to get where you're going before you go and there you have the diamonds.

Which can buy you a sandwich in your new home. A new meaning to roughage. I dunno, GWB says the economy is getting better, he said that just two weeks ago, right before he raised gas 20 cents.

By heather on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 01:33 pm:

i do need weapons.

using the power of my mind is giving me too many nosebleeds.

By Danielssss on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 02:28 pm:

Heather, if you are still stateside, what is your preferred off-US place to live? Are you are all close to Platy? Just curious. I've been looking for the Not So Big House at about 5000-6000 feet; no nosebleeds yet but I think as I've aged I get altitude sickness more and more. At lower altitudes.

By Nate on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 02:34 pm:

who is close to anyone. i utilize a psychic gamow bag when traveling above 1000 feet. we are too short from the sea. a mile up, human brains cease to function reliably. reason is skewed.

By Nate on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 02:40 pm:

don't make a scene, asshole.

By Nate on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 05:33 pm:

"The victims told deputies they awoke Saturday morning to the stranger applying spices to one of them and striking the other with an 8-inch sausage."

Fresno, CA.

By platypus on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 06:41 pm:

By Dr Pepper on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 10:43 pm:

Daniel. I have stockpile of silver, in just case, i might use it for barter. you can use gold, silver, oil, fuel, whatever when it comes to a collapse of economy . So when the currency becomes paper or material, you know what to do? Also, you might want to buy plenty of solar cell or solar over, when the electricity no longer can feed your house for your daily needs, and also, you might want to buy yourself a water purifter to make a clean water. You might want to check out a survival handbook. This might comes in handy! And Jack! yes i know! I do have a fuckin' weapon!

By sarah on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 11:51 am:

apocalypse survival kit

guns
    knives
    several pair of sturdy boots
    canned food
    fishing gear
    kerosene
    tent
    rubbing alcohol
    first aid kit
    sunscreen

and apparently a ticket to Alaska, the haven for christians who will be saved

By Danielssss on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 03:00 pm:

Platypus great moose link.

Forgot to mention iodine tablets, good for water purification and post nuclear exposure.

But we ARE distracted from the facts of McSame's strategies of distraction.

Just wait til Wall Street dumps in a week.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 08:40 pm:

dump?

no way man, freddie and fannie are going to be alright.

the housing crisis is over right?

By Daniel on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 03:53 pm:

"I think the stockmarket is going to take this as a positive," said William Larkin, of Cabot Money Management in Massachusetts. "The government is going to be pulling a lot of this stuff on to [its] balance sheet and that may be a concern for the dollar but it is going to be a positive for our financial system."

WTF? Who are they kidding. No Patrick, I'm talking about the current rumor that a few more big unsuspecting banks will fail, those directly tied to mutual funds development, because of fees that they are gouging the investors ...which will come to light in the next few weeks. I think the mutual fund martket will take a devastating hit; confidence will cllapse; world markets will react negatively; money can be made short term in currency de-valuation, but don't take it from me, I'm a gambler and not a good one.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 09:31 pm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg6hF0nShQ

PALIN: He's also known as the maverick though. Taking shots from his own party, and certainly taking shots from the other party. Trying to get people to understand what he's been talking about--the need to reform government!

OBVIOUSLY FRUSTRATED COURIC: I'm just going to ask you one more time, not to belabor the point- specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation?

PALIN: I'll try ta find ya some and bring em to ya!

wow.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:16 pm:

By Nate on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:05 pm:

jesus.

By Jesus on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 01:03 am:

yes?

By Nate on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 01:16 am:

i'm ready. let's go.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 04:21 pm:

By patrick on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 06:08 pm:

unbelievable.

she isnt fit to be mayor of Mayberry.

By wisper on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 08:36 pm:

Couric's hatred of her is palpable, she can't even fake smile properly in front of Palin.

By sarah on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:53 pm:

seems to me she's downright begging us to have feel-good dittohead orgies of partisan mudslinging and juvenile name-calling.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 12:24 am:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1831461

I missed most of tonights bullshit with the Republican walkout, etc

just.

fuck.

i mean, DRAMA with a capital D. This is a fucking joke. This is retarded. I can't believe what the fuck is happening with these people. It's erratic, amazing, reality show bullshit. I'm drunk right now and just sat down at the computer seeing whats transpired over the last couple hours, this happens and WaMu get seized and it's all a big goddam show. I mean JESUS CHRIST what the hell is wrong with these reckless freaks?

FREAKS!

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:13 am:

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 06:35 pm:

from another new clip:

"So [looks down at something] healthcare reform and [looks down at something] reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions [looks down at something] [keeps looking down] and tax relief for Americans [looks up]."

Tax reductions have to accompany tax reductions and tax relief. It's all so simple!

By platypus on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 08:05 pm:

By Rowlfe on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 12:07 am:

Don't care about that, honestly. Not one bit. No "look at those hips, gross" or anything cynical. Its irrelevant to me. I think John Roberts' past as a Canadian MTV heavy metal VJ is inifinitely more interesting.

I actually really liked tonights debate. Lehrer was the best moderator I've seen this year, easily. McCain did better than I expected, but so did Obama. It's obvious he's a lot more comfortable against someone not in his own party, who he can demonstrate clear differences with. I think Obama looked more presidential for what thats worth, and considering this was supposed to be McCain's strong suit...

by the expectations and visuals game, I say Obama won the debate.
    by content alone, I'd call it about as close a draw as you could say.

Obama smoked him on economic stuff though.

And thankfully I think I only heard 'my friends' once, and 'change' not even once.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 12:18 am:

also, when the fact checks come out about the Kissinger shit, I think McCain is in a bit of trouble. Couric already said she called Kissinger and what he told her fell in line with Obama.

By platypus on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 12:44 am:

"My friend, Henry Kissinger" was a great line.

And, uh, point. Jim Lehrer is the only moderator we've seen this year, and he let things get out of control a couple of times. Especially when McCain started losing it, he should have been reining that shit in.

I think that, intellectually, Obama won, although he missed a few easy shots, and he didn't leave a strong close. Emotionally, when McCain was being all crazed, he landed some very direct hits which I suspect appealed to a lot of viewers. But, er, he was kind of crazed, which made Obama's much cooler attitude an even sharper contrast.

It was weird to hear all this stuff about nuclear proliferation/nuclear power plants, since I feel like it hasn't come up that much before. I was also disappointed to hear Obama basically endorsing offshore drilling, and the stories about soldier's mothers made me writhe painfully in my seat. But, I guess that's the sort of thing people lap up.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 12:53 am:

yeah, I should make it clear that 'on content' i dont mean I agree with McCain, i simply mean the way they made their case. Kinda like how I think Cheney beat Edwards in 04 even though he was lying through his teeth the whole time.

I still stand up for Lehrer, mainly because his questions were good and I actually prefer him taking a step back and letting them interrupt and talk over each other sometimes. I think its one of those intangibles you've gotta let go sometimes. They do it to show strength and make it known they aren't going to let things fly, that they aren't just on talking points. there was one time it was clear McCain didnt want Obama to continue making a specific point but overall yeah...

I dont know, maybe me liking Lehrer is more of a statement against the shitty job most others did this season?

By Nate on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 02:27 am:

By platypus on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 02:55 am:

By patrick on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:19 pm:

SNL is rockin these days. so much to work with. Did you see this?

or this?

By sarah on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 02:32 pm:

an invitation i received today:

If you're looking for somewhere to watch the debate on Thursday and would like to be around a bunch of other people who can't wait to make fun of Palin, no matter how good she might somehow manage to pull this off, come over to the Compound. D***'s here in town, and I think he plans on cooking up some vittles (probaby a Moose or Caribou stew). Just bring your gun, parka, minivan, hockey puck, frameless glasses, and binoculars. We'll use the binoculars to try to see if we can see Russia from my balcony.

Give us an idea if you're showing so we can plan how many Moose we need to shoot and butcher between now and then.

And there will be a prize for best Palin impersonation and/or accent imitation.

By Dougie on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 07:54 pm:

Tina Fey is spot on.

Tonight, Katie seems to have lightened up a bit on Sarah.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 08:26 pm:

I saw a short clip

"what newspapers do you read?"

"uh, all of them?"

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 08:52 pm:

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 12:59 am:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHcPXfgD4jM

McCain goes and does something stupider than anything Palin did recently to me - look like a sniveling grumpy twat, and lie, in front of a newspaper board. People said he looked angry at the debate. he looks much worse here.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 09:35 pm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rXmuhWrlj4

JESUS TAPDANCING CHRIST.

Listen, I know she's not a lawyer. That's not an excuse. I don't give a fuck. When the president appoints Supreme Court justices, you better be able to identify court cases you agree and/or disagree with. They only care about Roe v. Wade. She couldn't even drag up Brown v. Board of Education

By semillama on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 09:25 am:

By semillama on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 01:22 pm:

By patrick on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 01:41 pm:

wait, she says she's a "federalist" and believes that "states should have more rights"

wha?

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 04:08 pm:

By patrick on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 04:14 pm:

fucking awesome

By Nate on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 07:06 pm:

-Ifill questions why people assume that her book will be favorable toward Obama.

"Do you think they made the same assumptions about Lou Cannon (who is white) when he wrote his book about Reagan?" said Ifill, who is black. Asked if there were racial motives at play, she said, "I don't know what it is. I find it curious."-

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 07:43 pm:

I just wonder if Ifill will let Palin ramble her way through 90 seconds and move on, or will press her for a specific, which is where Palin has normally crashed and burned more obviously

By droopy on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 07:47 pm:

By wisper on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 08:05 pm:

In a horrible horrible stroke of programming retardation, the Canadian party leader's debate is also tonight, also at 9, and will be the only debate the five leaders have before our election....
    And no one is going to be watching it!!
    I didn't know about it until i read the news this morning! The headlines are all like- "Watching the Canadian Leadership Debate Tonight? HAHA, AS IF"

Except perhaps bitter political reporters being forced to watch it by their editors. Even then, they'll probably just get it off Tivo.
    Cause 'aint nobody gonna miss this trainwreck.

*ordering pizza, printing out Palin bingo cards*

By wisper on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 08:16 pm:

this might be a fun way to kill a few minutes for you:
    http://www.ctv.ca/mini/election2008/quiz/game.html

However it brings up abortion for no reason, that's not an issue, and some of the points are the same across the 3 left wing parties.

Actually it's pretty crappy. But fun.
    Maybe.

By Nate on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 09:06 pm:

nate's experience with canadian "game":

step 1: ooo! bouncy heads! fun!
    step 2: what the hell? am i supposed to read all of that?

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 09:07 pm:

By Nate on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 10:08 pm:

i like to pretend that biden is ken kesey.

By sarah on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 11:56 pm:

O'Biden!

Talibani!

By Nate on Friday, October 3, 2008 - 12:03 am:

she did better than i was anticipating.

i was watching online on CNN, with this running graphic tracker that followed the approval/disapproval of a room full of reps, inds, and dems in Columbus, OH.

from that completely unscientific source i'd say the inds are leaning towards obama/biden.

By Nate on Friday, October 3, 2008 - 12:05 am:

contrast that with the highly scientific poll on drudge that has 74% of respondents feeling Palin won the debate.

By platypus on Friday, October 3, 2008 - 12:53 am:

"toxic mess on main street"

By Rowlfe on Friday, October 3, 2008 - 01:05 am:

she survived merely by not answering questions.

the story is less to me about Palin's performance and more about Biden. I thought he did fantastic, and even considering Palin exceeding such low expectations, even if she had been her optimum, he SLAUGHTERED

we had a Veep party at our house, I had about a litre and a half of potent cheap wine, and i can still see it for what it was. Even with Palin doing better than expected, this was Biden's night by far and Obama is as set as he's ever been.

By Dougie on Friday, October 3, 2008 - 10:30 am:

Yeah, she surpassed my expectations too. But Biden was masterful. He was a statesman, she was a bumpkin. I can't stand that bemused smile she keeps plastered on her face, nor her folksy colloquialisms.

By sarah on Friday, October 3, 2008 - 12:21 pm:

it's so not a done deal. americans re-elected a eerily similar
    inarticulate bumpkin who answered direct questions with
    effusive and evasive generalizations which he defended as
    "straight talk".

people prefer things dumbed down. they don't want someone
    who makes them consider complexities.

Palin did a lot better than i expected in that she didn't make a
    total ass of herself. O'Biden did better than I expected too. But
    clearly Biden was the only one up there who has the experience
    and the knowledge to do the job. I'd prefer to have people who
    are much smarter than me running the country, not someone
    like Palin who seems as if, like everything I've seen so far, she'd
    just be winging it.

By patrick on Friday, October 3, 2008 - 02:18 pm:

there was a panel on charlie rose that i think summed it up pretty well. they came to the conclusion that yes, she did better than usual, but you note, like tina fey mocked, when she was cornered, she turned on that colloquialisms and charm, she didnt answer questions directly and when she didnt know the answer she merely spouted platform. total crap. biden did similarly but at least answered questions mostly directly.

but i wish the moderators would grow a pair and actually keep these people on track. i thought she was a horrible moderator. Leherer is marginally better in taking the answers to task when they stray, but this format hardly qualifies as a debate.

By heather on Friday, October 3, 2008 - 02:25 pm:

sarah is right about what people prefer.

god! people are so fucking stupid.

sarah palin could say anything with a giant plastic smile on her face, using her sweet simple poison.

By sarah on Friday, October 3, 2008 - 04:18 pm:

By Nate on Friday, October 3, 2008 - 05:21 pm:

the cutesy-condescension is great. i wanted biden to slap her.

By wisper on Friday, October 3, 2008 - 08:07 pm:

I found her winking at the camera during answers to be shocking unprofessionalism. Bordering on offensive.
    How 'bought you take your shit seriously, how about that?

But hey, her running mate said "gooks" so what do i know.

And i too recall with sadness and frustration a 2004 debate in which an eloquent and brilliant speaker totally pwned a clueless bumpkin. Golly gosh gee, people love stupid.

By heather on Friday, October 3, 2008 - 09:10 pm:

bordering? i am totally fucking offended.

By Dougie on Friday, October 3, 2008 - 09:31 pm:

The other thing that really bothered me at first about her was that she had a lock of hair that was tangled in her left eyelash, and every time she blinked, it moved. If I were her, it would have driven me fucking crazy. She must've eventually brushed it away off camera while O'Biden was speaking.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, October 4, 2008 - 11:10 am:

By Rowlfe on Monday, October 6, 2008 - 08:47 am:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/10/5/222047/945/192/621189

My jaw dropped looking at this.

Obama went Keating Five. This documentary, not available for a couple hours, was ready all along, waiting for October/when McCain was ready go to nuclear. Poised and ready to strike.

I'm just in awe at how prepared a Democrat - a Democrat! - has just shown himself to be.

Mind you, if its badly made or goes too far, or fearmongers too hard, its going to be seen as a swiftboat attack right from the Obama camp themselves. It's not like this is risk proof, but this morning my immediate reaction to something like this is "Holy shit."

By sarah on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 06:41 pm:

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 04:10 pm:

By Danielssss on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 05:16 pm:

As one of the commentators said, "Down with the Liberal 3rd grader Elite..."

This woman is the scariest woman in the world right now.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 08:33 am:

By Joes friend Danielssss on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 12:20 pm:

"a combat soldier is SUPPOSE to resist at ALL expense, even in the event of capture (even at his lives cost). The regulation also says they have no right to negotiate anyone's release. Name, rank, and SSN are the only interaction allowed, all of which he violated. John McCain is a failed soldier not nearly a hero. Hell yes, I said it!! a failure of soldier, the reg. has never waivered. Your pal Joe" (us army veteran)

By sarah on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:13 pm:

Sarah Palin, putting the cunt back in our country.

this is the work of one of senor's friends, who he's known since the 4th grade, and who we recently visited with on our last trip to st. louis.

By Rowlfe on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 01:59 am:

By Rowlfe on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 07:25 pm:

By Rowlfe on Sunday, November 2, 2008 - 01:56 am:

By sarah on Monday, November 3, 2008 - 12:48 pm:

we went to our neighborhood halloween block party friday night and one of our neighbors was dressed up as a moose campaigning for Obama.

in case you need to be reminded: tomorrow's the big day!

By moonit on Monday, November 3, 2008 - 04:02 pm:

The whole world is watching you guys. Usually we don't care but your election has had major media coverage here.

We vote Saturday.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, November 3, 2008 - 08:21 pm:

I guess, I will go out tomorrow to Vote!

By Nate on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 12:22 am:

we still don't care about your election, moonit.

hell, most of us think you're australian.

By droopy on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 12:23 am:

some of my neighbors had kool keg deliver a margarita machine and several kegs to their apartment. i think there's going to be an election day street party.

i've already voted. i filled out a mail-in ballot - with pen in boxes - and hand delivered it to the voter registrar office.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 02:26 am:

Nate, actually, moonit might be a New Zelander.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 02:28 am:

small nations should hold open invitational elections of other countries leaders. So maybe if McCain wants he can fuck off to Georgia and fight Putin if he wants it so bad.

By moonit on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 04:54 am:

nate you made me spit my drink out.

I have to be excited about voting, after all NZ was the first country to let woman do it; and we've had a woman prime minister for yonks!

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 01:38 pm:

So, moonit, are you a New Zelander? tell me if I am right? :-)

By moonit on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 01:42 pm:

No, I am a New Zealander.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 08:38 pm:

rock on Moonie!

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 03:05 am:

No, No, it is New Zoolander....

By Bat on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 03:46 am:

"Twenty-five years ago Martin Luther King had a dream of an America where men and women would be judged not on the colour of their skin but on the content of their character," Rudd told reporters. "Today what America has done is turn that dream into a reality."

someone call australia and tell them that twenty-five years ago MLK had been dead for fifteen years.

By moonitna on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 05:08 am:

One of my workmates does an excellent 'Blue Steel'. He's quite a serious person; so its well worth the giggle.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 02:42 pm:

Bat...25 years ago? Naw. That was more than 40 years ago. I have no idea on where you hear this from....

By Dougie on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 02:46 pm:

My voting place was an old elementary school gymnasium. Smelled like stale sweat and rubber. I love that smell.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 08:23 pm:

Dougie, yesterday,I went out to the polling place, it reeks smell..

By Dougie on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 08:50 pm:

Cool Dr Pepper. What did it reek of?

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 09:38 pm:

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 02:50 am:

Stale piss smell

By Danielssss on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 03:57 pm:

Palin, omg did you see that exit interview when someone asked if she cost McSame any votes.

Party line, she has NO brain for herself. She can't even answer questions.

We should seriously consider IMPEACHING BUSH AND CHENEY.

Then let McSame go to the VA HOME FOR DISABLED VETS and Put Palin on a boat to Luhanske Ukraine to incite against Putin. And have illegitimate Russian babies she could say were her daughters... Sorry that was mean.

By Nate on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 10:46 pm:

"McSame"

you use the same tactics as the ones you abhor.

divider.

ruiner.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact