the great american bailout

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: the great american bailout
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 03:19 pm:

something occurred to me this morning. we now have draft legislation for a $700B budget that would allow the US Treasury to "buy, or commit to buy, mortgage-related assets from any financial institution having its headquarters in the United States."

which continues us down the path towards socialized banking.

my alternate plan would be to create a grant program for homeowners. homeowners can apply for government assistance in repaying mortgages established prior to 9/08. the mortgage would have to be on their primary residence.

the size of the grant would be determined based on the financial situation of the household and the details of the loans.

the grant would cover a portion of the loan but not the complete loan. the payment would go directly to the bank.

the payment would have two components, a large principle payment and a smaller refi allowance, say $500. the homeowner can decide to refi immediately or maintain their current loan.

if they maintain their current loan, payments continue as usual but they pay off the loan earlier. the refi allowance is applied to their principle.

if they decide to refi, the allowance goes to the bank to cover costs of the refi. the refi would be required to be a fixed interest rate over the life of the loan.

this plan would have all the benefit of the current bailout plan: the market would be less skittish about mortage backed securities because the mortgage market would be shored up against defaults.

further benefits to the plan:

1. the bailout money is being returned to the benefit of taxpaying americans for the specific purpose of helping them retain their homes.

2. the relief to homeowners would translate to increased spending power. this would help up move our economy in a positive direction.

3. banks would become more liquid and be able to restart lending.

By Danielssss on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 07:41 pm:

But would not your proposal defeat the purpose of all government backed programs, which is to benefit the rich and further disenfranchise the poor? just wondering.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 12:38 am:

your right Danielsss, what a ass they are.

By Antigone on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 02:38 pm:

Treasury Secretary Paulson has been on the Sunday talk shows specifically rejecting anything like Nate's plan. Seriously. He also opposes capping the compensation of executives companies that get bailout help.

By Nate on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 03:28 pm:

Paulson should be tried for treason.

I wrote to senators Feinstein and Boxer, and my rep Woolsey yesterday. Not that they'd do anything. Maybe Boxer.

California has 25% of the mortgage defaults and is getting 12% of the federal aid.

California needs some pork, assholes. That thing about the blue states paying for the red states, how California gets $0.76 back for every federal tax dollar sent in, while the red states make a profit from the government. I've been thinking about that.

The blue states are paying for the wars. The blue states are paying for the bailouts.

It's time to start listening to the blue states, you middle america assholes.

By TBone on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 06:17 pm:

I agree with you, Nate, and I'm an a receiving-end state. It's long bothered me that my state gets so much federal money, yet the voters keep voting red and voting against taxes on principal.

It also bothers me that we have such a high electoral vote to population ratio.

But I also think Montanans are slowly turning around. Our governor is a Democrat, and he as the highest approval rating in the country. All of our federal representatives are down Democrats as well. So far, though, the polls say that we can't quite be convinced to elect a Democrat for president. Close, though. It could happen.

Haven't seen any polls since it was announced that Ron Paul will be on our ballot, though.

By TBone on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 06:18 pm:

um. Ignore the word "down". Don't know how that got in there.

By Danielssss on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 06:28 pm:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with Nate.

By Nate on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 08:53 pm:

this is a fucking nightmare.

By TBone on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 08:56 pm:

Everyone agreeing with you? I admit it's a little creepy.

By semillama on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 09:23 pm:

I read somewhere that bailing out Americans who are defaulting on their mortgages would only cost $93 billion...

By TBone on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 09:42 pm:

I've got to stop reading my posts after I've submitted them. What a mess.

Clearly something that costs so little couldn't possibly be effective, Sem. Plus, that would be rewarding those irresponsible homeowners who should have been able to see through the lies and see that the market wasn't sustainable. That the professionals failed to see it coming is no excuse.

I'm just jealous, really. I'd love to own a house. I've got ideas, man. Something like 15 years ago my dad paid $50,000 for his house. Nowadays, mere mortals can barely manage a down payment.

By Nate on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:19 pm:

it isn't the lack of sustainability that is the lapse of responsibility for homeowners. it is the moronic loans that people got themselves into.

100% financing with an interest-only, adjustable rate mortgage? are you fucking retarded?

well, yeah: apparently a lot of Americans are retarded about money. this is why we have laws against predatory lending.

so the banks have doing some as-of-yet not regulated predatory lending, which has artificially inflated the value of real estate. so now we have all these devious loans backed by insufficient equity.

and the governments answer? structure a bailout that will keep the banks from eating the fruit of their own fuck up, allow CEOs to walk away with nice bonuses for a cocked up job, and let joe-blow homeowner suck it.

how is this going to help the economy?

treasonous.

let's hang this fucker.

By TBone on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 11:00 pm:

Sure, that's why I'm renting. I don't have a down payment, and a responsible mortgage would triple my monthly housing payments. I will have an a few years, assuming I still have a job in the smoking ruins of the economy, and assuming that money's still worth something.

The guy's a former CEO of Goldman Sachs. I suspect he thinks the CEOs and their companies *are* the economy -- thinks they're entitled to billions and we should be fucking grateful.

I've got my pitchfork.

By Nate on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 11:26 pm:

well, renting isn't bad.

my neighbor bought his house in 2004. in the past 4 years his investment has lost 20% of its value. if he'd been renting and socking away the difference between his mortgage payments and the rent, he'd have probably six figures saved.

By Antigone on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:31 am:

I bought house #1 in 2006.

Bought house #2 a couple of months ago.

House #1 is under contract and, if it goes for the current price, we won't end up losing much. (Maybe a couple of thousand.) All in all a good deal, given the tax deduction for mortgage interest.

Dallas has been spared most of the housing price craziness.

I've still got my pitchfork, though.

By TBone on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:47 am:

True enough. It's because we're renting that we'll have all of our debt (except student loans) paid off by the end of the year. Saving begins in earnest next year if there's a bank left to put it in.

I just wish I could paint, and fix up the kitchen, and put in a low-water lawn, etc. But hey, that's all money saved, too.

At least we can have cats, and our landlord let us tear up part of the back lawn and put in a vegetable garden. On a side note, we rented this place from these two really cool older women, and they still did most of the work on the place themselves. One of them was electrocuted this year in an accident involving a wind-powered generator. I think the other lady is thinking of trying to sell now.

By Antigone on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:47 am:

By droopy on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:50 am:

i don't worry much about the current economic crisis because i know i'll be dead soon enough.

still, if la révolution does come while i'm alive, i'll be more than willing to have antigone strap pitchforks onto my wheelchair and roll me into battle like a wheelbarrow of death.

just so you know.

By Antigone on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 01:00 am:

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:37 am:

By patrick on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 01:50 pm:

i heard a great phrase by a NY times financial columnist on one of the sunday talkies....to paraphrase her 'we are in state where more and more our country is prioritizing gains and socializing losses a pattern of behavior that is very very wrong'

By patrick on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 01:59 pm:

Chris Dodd looks like a fucking mobster.

By sarah on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:03 pm:

we are giving all of our post-tax dollars to china, so they can loan it back to us to pay for war and corporate bail-outs, with interest.

when it comes to money, americans are ultra-retarded.

spend spend spend!

By patrick on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:08 pm:

holy shit....that quote should read *PRIVATIZING* gains and socializing losses.

dammit

By Danielssss on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 04:39 pm:

"There's something very wrong with someone who claims to be pro-life then hunts animals for SPORT and pushes for war."

nice comment from an obscure reader. I liked it. Sums up nicely.

media seems to think that the financial crisis detracts from Palin's fashion statements... her international experience is that Alaska is close to Russia. omg.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 04:52 pm:

the more money is thrown at this thing, the more confusing it is... keeping in mind with the quote you had there patrick, it seems like the American people are funding a war against themselves.

By heather on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 08:07 pm:

indeed we are

By platypus on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 09:00 pm:

Dear American:

I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.

I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.

I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as the leader of the American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.

This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.

Please reply with all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to wallstreetbailout@treasury.gov so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive that information, I will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.

Yours Faithfully Minister of Treasury Paulson

(shamelessly stolen from The Nation)

By Dr Pepper on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:42 pm:

Platypus,we do not have Ministry of treasury, What a pathetic joke.

By Nate on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 11:32 pm:

it's a funny joke, i think. paulson is the pathetic joke.

By wisper on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 11:57 pm:

awesome. totally awesome.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:26 am:

No Nate, I think platypus is Canadian.

By Nate on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:28 am:

i think she lives in something like the canada of california, and spells like she is canadian, but is not canadian.

i could be wrong.

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:53 am:

platy, thou art full of win

By platypus on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 01:28 am:

Aw, shucks, Antigone. Really The Nation is full of win for posting it in the first place, in all of its spectacular glory.

And Nate is correct: though the colour of my spelling may have a distinctly Canadian whiff, I am not, in fact, Canadian, although I did end up going to Toronto once when my Pakistani International Airlines flight got hijacked by a tax evader who was afraid the Feds were waiting for him in New York. Really.

By platypus on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 01:30 am:

Also, I'm not sure that Mendo is the Canada of California. It's far too disorderly and crazed to be compared to Canada. It's more like the Balkans, only with less death squads.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 01:37 pm:

wow. is the Dr. really that dense?

By patrick on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 01:41 pm:

oh and what a delightful piece of spam. Makes a great reply to the legitimate spams of the same nature.

By jack on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 07:56 pm:

differently visionary is not dense.

why can't you people let the good Dr define you?

it's Pepper world. you're just a figment in it.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 08:08 pm:

Hi ya jack :-)

By jack-bot on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 09:12 pm:

hello supreme being

By semillama on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 09:32 pm:

Pff. He's no Mr. Pibb!

By Danielssss on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:11 pm:

Platy, your research skills rock, and your writing too. Where do I send my check?

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 08:07 pm:

we all had a good laugh in the newsroom at McCain's decision to suspend his campaign.

of course, he wants the debate pushed back to Oct 2, which was supposed to be the Veep debate, and have that one postponed to who-knows-when.

Survey USA did snap polls and found around 85% of people disagree or strongly disagree with what he did.

I think we're gonna look back on today as the 'stick a fork in him' moment. he was going for the maverick moment, but instead he came out looking like a total pussy.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 01:05 am:

Rowlfe, i agree with you.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:24 am:

I'm seeing reports that in Silicon Valley WaMu ATMs are out of cash. Nate, you're around there right? Notice anything?

By platypus on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:29 pm:

Nate's pretty far from SiVi, although Heather is close. My WaMu certainly has abundant amounts of cash in its ATM, but then again I am in the benighted North.

I just got my voter's guide, and it is *hilarious*. There's this awesome Lifetime Channel-style "true story" in the arguments for Prop 4 that totally made my morning, in that way that I wish there was a disclaimer with the actual facts, like that she lived in TEXAS, not California, and was MARRIED, and therefore not subject to parental notification laws anyway.

By sarah on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 04:13 pm:

on the surface, you're right, it does appear like a motion of avoidance to ask to postpone the debate.

but McSame also was quoted, saying "It's time for everyone to recall that the political process is not an end in itself, nor is it intended to serve those of us who are in the middle of it. In the Senate of the United States, our duty is to serve the people of this country."

and then

"For the Congress, this is one of those moments in history when poor decisions made in haste could turn crisis into a far-reaching disaster if we do not act."

but Congress passed a bill today on the immediate issue at hand, so i don't see why they shouldn't go forward with the debate tomorrow.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 04:20 pm:

Lehrer told them last week that there were going to be economic questions

maybe he's panicked

By sarah on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 04:28 pm:

well he should be panicked anyway.

you know what's going to be inarticulate hilarity? the biden vs palin debate.

fool me once!

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 05:03 pm:

remember when we all thought she was going to do okay because of lowered expectations? I dont believe that anymore. she's fucked.

By Karla on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 06:00 pm:

By patrick on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 06:11 pm:

totally karla.

By Nate on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 09:03 pm:

platy, the counter-argument to that prop 4 drivel does say all that. Also points out that prop 4 wouldn't have helped in that case, regardless.

By Nate on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 09:07 pm:

fucking morons.

there is a recent study about how ideology trumps facts.

such that presenting facts contrary to an ideological belief only strengthens the belief.

By platypus on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:05 pm:

Yeah, except that the language of the counter argument is in all caps and is extremely sensationalist. So someone leaning towards a "yes" vote is going to read the rebuttal and go "these people are crazy," instead of "oh, everything I just read is a sack of shit," which supports your second point: the presentation of the evidence is going to cement a "yes" vote rather than waking people up and making them realize how totally idiotic prop 4 is.

Haven't we already had something similar to prop 4 on the ballot umpteen gazillion times? Will the fucking morons never give up?

Also, more on WaMu for you, Rowlfe, since you seem so fascinated.

By platypus on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:06 pm:

Also, in re: the pro-4 argument, apparently there was a lawsuit to try and keep that story out of the voter's guide, but it failed. I thought that was, uhm, interesting.

By platypus on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:07 pm:

Also, I totally want to see that study if you have a link to it (or know where it was published).

By Nate on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:52 pm:

By platypus on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:04 pm:

Oh, yeah, I listened to that interview. It was very interesting. I love it when studies confirm commonly-held knowledge.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 12:38 am:

the republicans are holding the economy ransom as a last gasp to make mccain president. this is incredible guys, what a bunch of pieces of shit.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 12:44 am:

to continue ranting

its sleazy

i'd even say its unpatriotic, traitorous slease.

"Country first" my shining asshole

By Dr Pepper on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 01:26 am:

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 02:21 am:

By Nate on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 02:59 am:

instant classic.

i was just racially profiled by the cops.

i feel so violated.

By Nate on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 03:06 am:

"In the Roosevelt Room after the session, Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson literally bent down on one knee as he pleaded with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi not to withdraw her party's support for the package over what Pelosi derided as a Republican betrayal, according to the New York Times."

i read that and somewhere outside bells began tolling.

i never hear bells. where the hell are these bells coming from?

i live next to a graveyard.

i hope this doesn't mean..

shit.

By heather on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 04:36 am:

zombies

the perfect distraction

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 08:55 pm:

By Nate on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 04:18 pm:

michael moore contends that the lack of universal health care is a bigger component in the foreclosure crisis than bad mortgage decisions.

I'm thinking this is probably not the case, but I am supportive of both universal health care and moore's call to action.

It is a bit scary when michael moore and newt are approaching the same conclusions from different sides.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 06:39 pm:

I'm sorry, I gotta love how the Great Casino went down exactly 777.

By Nate on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 06:53 pm:

the great casino.

the odd thing, is 'the dow' was down 777, or about 6.8%. it actually fared pretty well today. the nasdaq was down nearly 10%. the s&p 500 and the wilshire 5000 were both down over 8%.

i wonder who that jackass was who was critical of you for being interested in US politics. the whole world should be interested in US politics: we have the power to take the whole world down. watch the asian and euro markets today. they already didn't do well today, and we had a bill that was supposedly going to pass.

i've got my piece of land and the guns to hold it.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 07:01 pm:

The Canadian TSX today had its biggest drop in 8 years. I have friends who are realtors, who may be overreacting, but are very worried.

Stephen Harper actually put out an ad where he said the fundamentals of the economy are strong. If Layton and Dion don't run it against 'em, they deserve to lose. Probably still will anyways.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 07:03 pm:

I blame this crisis on Heather Locklear being arrested.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 07:22 pm:

Is it absurd to suggest there's going to be a rush on the banks this week?

By platypus on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 07:24 pm:

So I just put an apple pie in the oven, and I was thinking about the idiom "as American as apple pie." The thing is, I don't think apple pie is American. The apple is an old world fruit, and you're telling me *no one* thought to stick apples in a pie until Europeans came to America? Come on, people.

By Nate on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 07:48 pm:

well, the rush on WaMu lead to the FDIC seizure and subsequent sale. it has been happening to some degree.

i love apple pie. #2 on nate's list of fantastic desserts.

By platypus on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 07:56 pm:

What's number one?

By droopy on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:23 pm:

i have a recipe for danish apple soup.

i've got all my money stuffed in my mattress.

By Nate on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:44 pm:

blackberry pie.

By Dougie on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:51 pm:

Got an awesome apple / cranberry pie recipe if anyone's interested. From Cooks Illustrated magazine. Awesome because the layers are separated, and don't make a soggy pie. My favorite dessert is peach pie though.

By patrick on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:53 pm:

and the market has two solid days to continue taking its massive dump until congress reconvenes on thursday. why they arent back in session tomorrow is baffling.

By wisper on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:27 pm:

You're right platy, apples were first brought to North America in the 1600's. There are apple pie recipes in medieval cook books.

By Spider on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:42 pm:

Blackberry pie is my favorite, too. I love me some blackberries. Today I bought some huge ones nearly the size of my thumb. That's a mouthful of heaven right there.

Second best pie: blueberry. Third best: any random assortment of berries, but keep the strawberries out, plzkthx. They screw up the texture. Strawberry rhubarb pie is okay, but it doesn't place in my best list.

By platypus on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:50 pm:

Touche, Nate. I haven't had blackberry pie in way too long. Fuck. I also really like vanilla ice cream with that wacky balsamic syrup from The Girl and the Fig, but that's not a pie, and neither of these things has anything to do with the economic shitstorm.

That said, Danish apple soup really intrigues me.

By sarah on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:50 pm:

congress can't fix this anyway. not for real.

i should learn how to disarm someone with a gun.

i made an apple pie not too long ago that had sour cream mixed into the filling. it was outrageous. my favorite pie is blueberry.

By sarah on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:51 pm:

p.s. michael moore and newt are probably busy having a dittohead orgyfest as we speak!

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:35 am:

By platypus on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:54 am:

Also, dates and mascarpone.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:04 am:

Nikkei is down 5% so far today. The ripple effect is underway now. Gotta wonder what degree of problems in foreign markets will push things to be resolved more quickly.

Gonna be working in the newsroom tomorrow, the stock guy is always entertaining. I'm sure he'll horrify me somehow.

By droopy on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:10 am:

the danish cookbook i have - one that i bought at a flea market - also has recipes for: raspberry soup, cold cherry soup, chocolate soup, mixed fruit soup, orange soup, ripe plum soup, and (of course) beer soup.

By Nate on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:46 am:

there was a girl and the fig here in town, but it is long gone now.

and i know there are blackberry canes where you are. there must be.

i had several quarts of blackberries picked FOR me this summer. and my mom made me a pie. it was brilliant.

i just heard some australian guy asking us to put aside our partisanship and pass this fucking thing.

if the global economy is so dependent on us, does that mean the earth is our empire?

my mom made a spice cake for me today. one of my favorite cakes.

By Nate on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:46 am:

there was a girl and the fig here in town, but it is long gone now.

and i know there are blackberry canes where you are. there must be.

i had several quarts of blackberries picked FOR me this summer. and my mom made me a pie. it was brilliant.

i just heard some australian guy asking us to put aside our partisanship and pass this fucking thing.

if the global economy is so dependent on us, does that mean the earth is our empire?

my mom made a spice cake for me today. one of my favorite cakes.

By platypus on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 02:54 am:

Nate, there are oodles of blackberry canes here, but therein lies a tragic tale. You see, my father has the best blackberries around, and this year, I got all excited about all the blackberry pie that was going to happen, but his neighbors swept in and stole all of them. Picked. Whatever. Anyway, I was so disheartened by the situation that I couldn't bring myself to venture out and forage for blackberries.

Although I did go picking with my friend Laurel a few weeks ago, but she has celiac, so we didn't make pie, we just ate a lot of blackberries. And some Asian pears.

By Nate on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 03:07 am:

can you make a pie crust without gluten? pie crusts mystify me.

i'd be pissed if someone stole my blackberries. but then, there are always plenty along the creeks.

goddamn i love blackberries.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 03:18 am:

Nate, should I start drive away from from home to a remote place soon? Just for survival retreat, in case of economy being screwed up.

By Nate on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 03:20 am:

i wouldn't yet, no. i don't think babylon is quite ready to collapse.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 04:29 am:

But right now, I was thinking about doing a blue print on building a cabin. So far, I have trench folding shovel,( I had that for the last 15 years),bolt cutter,alcohol penny stove. And now, I need to find place far away from civilization.Funny things is, recently the gas price just went down. is this normal? I need advise please?

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 08:37 am:

would you say its time to crack each others heads open and feed on the sweet goo inside?

By Danielssss on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:15 pm:

What was voted down was voted down for good reason.

First there was no oversight board provided in the legislation except for the persons in fact responsible for this mess; not a good thing to have Treasury, FDIC and SEC folks over seeing their own. This bill was just Paulson's gift to his wall street chronies.

Secondly, there was no cap on executive compensation, just a 20% extra tax, so that the government actually can make money on golden parachutes. No mention at all of caps for exec's.

So it was voted down for good reason.

Loans, for cars and houses, are still available in St. Louis. Cash still comes out of the atm's. I love the Casino's 777 loss too, some cruel irony for sure.

But I am loading up on cash and guns and ammo and detergent and toilet paper as always.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:30 pm:

i think the whole point of log cabins is that blue prints DONT exist.

axe. tree. build.

you know whats fun? being in the middle of escrow during all this. thankfully it seems wells fargo is stable, triple a rated etc. our broker told us last night he feels really secure but im not sure that means anything. 17 days until close and it can't come fast enough.

im pretty sure something aint right with me in that i really can't get down on any kind of fruit pie. there's so many freaky textures that give me the heebee jeebees. for that i regret.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 02:23 pm:

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 07:56 pm:

any bill is going to have good reasons for being voted down. isn't the result of a decent political compromise that nobody ends up happy?

That bill failed because Republicans thought they could pull a dump (thanks Newt for helping out) and leave it all on the Dems shoulder and make it their baby, and because such an awful job was done explaining the bill that it made it a re-election worry for over half the people voting. Only in certain cases do I think principle had a single thing to do with it.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 06:26 pm:

So after a few days of angry phone calls our illustrious legislators decided to add a few pork barrel tidings to the bill increasing its size, something for everyone, everyone that is, except the taxpayer who must still finance the package.

"...The initial proposal from the Treasury Department ran three pages; the latest version exceeds 450..." NYT

"Well, it's not real money because these distressed properties have no value...so ..." if there is no value, why do Mr and Mrs Main Street, not the McSame, Palin, or Obamas, or Bushes and cheneys by the way...have to buy them out of bankruptcy.???

I pay my bills, borrow money and pay it back with interest, and never had a debt forgiven, and have never been given anything free. But because of greed of the wealthy few the rest of us and our grandchildren will pay the inevitable price of the dissolution of our free market.

Get the government the hell out of it. Bad investments need to fail in a free market. Good investments (name one?)succeed. The people spoke on Monday, and we will lose to the political process in the Senate and House this Friday. We can't have cake and coke both: yes we lost money on Monday, so what? There is NO guarantee that any bailout ever worked...only exacerbated the problem in the end.

Let's vote every incumbent out, clean house, impeach Bush and cheney for war crimes and crimes against humanity, outlaw lobbyists, and imprison the likes of Paulson, the FDIC and SEC chiefs who allowed this mess to happen, to profit their friends.

Fed up, yes, I am fed up.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact