Stock Market

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Stock Market
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, October 7, 2008 - 10:41 pm:

So the Stock Market aren't doing very well, any advise?

By Nate on Tuesday, October 7, 2008 - 11:16 pm:

stay out of it.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, October 7, 2008 - 11:48 pm:

Might as well make a debate comment here...

"That One" = dead campaign, but even without it, this was a mauling. Obama slaughtered in this format, even though I was pissed at the way Brokaw didn't let more conversation happen.

By Nate on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 12:11 am:

McCain proposed that the government buy up bad mortgages and restructure them so that homeowners can have a fixed rate mortgage they can afford.

That was my fucking plan.

Only mine was better.

By Goon on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 12:14 am:

...at the same time he's talking about a spending freeze...

you know, and like how Palin is talking about how they were for regulation, and then saying its time for government to get out of the way...

they have no idea what the fuck they are doing, and turning into an abstract oleo of conflcting ideas from various advisors

By Nate on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 12:18 am:

oleo? you must be old as mccain.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 12:20 am:

I use that word because its in EVERY FUCKING CROSSWORD EVER.

By Nate on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 12:38 am:

well, they don't call yours the greatest generation for nothin.

By Dougie on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 10:07 am:

To me, McCain just looked old and wooden.

By Nate on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 10:40 am:

I'm not sure wood was invented yet when McCain was made...

By Mala-Dicta on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 11:29 am:

McCain wasn't "made", a buzzard shit on a rock and the sun hatched him.

By sarah on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 12:12 pm:

i only got through about 10 minutes of the debate last night before i thought to myself "please say something different" and then had to turn it off.

they could at least come up with more finely tuned rebuttals, since they both now know what the others's arguments are.

BORING

By agatha on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 01:15 pm:

What Sara said, except I watched the last half hour after Kitty went to dog class. Have I told you all about our new dog Kitty?

By patrick on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 02:19 pm:

No. Do tell. With images. Do you Dogster? All sorabji kids with dogs should Dogster. Shit. I have to set up a new account. cant remember the password.

GReatest generation my ass. Tom Brokaw is a punk.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 02:35 pm:

By Nate on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 04:47 pm:

the drudge report main headline after the debates was BORING.

speaking of dogs, i just heard an engine start in the distance, then i realized it was my dog giving his most menacing deep-throated growl.

then it went on for too long and i realized it was an engine.

but my dog is still a bad ass. and will totally kick your dog's ass.

or sniff your dog's ass.

actually, last time we were at the beach my dog got into a little bit of trouble for licking the penis of a large german shepherd.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 05:18 pm:

chloe owns young male dogs. though, im not sure what her feelings on are young gay make dogs.

seriously. you havent heard demons until chloe unleashes hers. they come out her mouth. although after eating some cat shit in the yard, they've been coming out her ass today smogging me out of the basement.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 06:35 pm:

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 08:10 pm:

Patrick, by brother's dog, Lucy. her ears is like chlo. One is up and other is down.

By moonit on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 01:56 am:

You haven't heard a siren until you hear Dee woo. Its the funniest thing ever. She sounds like a police car. And she has a girly bark. Reese has a staunch bark but runs away.

By J on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 03:46 am:

You know I lost hell a money in the 90's on internet stocks, a large chunk. I took a gamble and I lost,and I frigging sucked it up,I didn't see anyone running to bail me out.I never thought anyone should bail me out,that was between me and my worthless stock broker.
    This AIG joke of a bailout has me so gd mad I can't see straight!!! I'm foaming at the mouth,if the minute we give those smegma the money to bail them out while the CEO's who ran the company to the ground get their millions and the golden parachute,and they run out and spend Half A Million of OUR money on spa's and drinks,somethings wrong.So I did all the "right things" and we still might get fecked out of our pension and our savings.It's scarey cause we help the spawn alot and I want to keep doing that.

By TBone on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 10:36 am:

One of my roommates had a cat named Doggy.

By Karla on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 02:37 pm:

This is Rufus. That was a few yrs ago - he's a lot whiter now. It takes some effort for him to bark - he has to work up to it - like an old man trying to hock up a loogie. He'll eventually spit out a few woo-woos, then go lie down to rest up from all the excitement.

By kazu on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 02:49 pm:

Rufus has a sad face.

By Danielssss on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 02:55 pm:

I'm your roommate? MY cat is named Doggy. Properly on the adoption papers "SPook Doggy Dog" the feral cat who hates soy milk.

J, everyone tells me to sit tight and wait it out, but you, I might be dead in three years and that would be two before i hit 62 and there will not be a shred of anything left by then. I cannot afford to sit tight. My all knowing 27 yr old son told me last night i would be foolish to withdraw the rest of my mutual funds, saying that if I were going to fiddle with the sextant of my retirement, I should have withdrawn the funds last year. Well I did, and had I stuffed it under the f mattress, I would be 20% richer today than I am.

Demand accountability. Vote all incumbents out. Impeach Bush. This whoile mess is just something to keep people in fear and distract from Bush's illegal dealings o the past eight years coming home to roost in the final weeks of his presidency.

Don't be duped. Petition to impeach. Bush, Cheney and the Fed and FDIC and Treasury all should be imprisoned along with AIG and Wall St execs who stole from you and me. That is what it is: theft. I don't see them losing their houses and standing in line for gas.

We will be lucky if we can keep the lights on for another five years. Darkness will descend and money will be worthless. Inflation rageing, even those with mioney will have NOTHING to buy because nothing will be imported and we don't make anything here in this country. And plastic requires oil. And there will be none.

Watch Mel Gibson's Road Warrior for a taste of what will come.

not that I am a gloom and doomer, just realistic. The system is broken.

Take at least 20% into cash and hide it. Stockpile shampoo and detergent and toilet paper and everything you won't be able to make yourself. Be ready to barter for food, as most of us can't support ourself. And get a gun and some, lots, of ammo.

Then call your friendly neighborhood therapist and confess that you think the whole fuckin thing is broken.

My cat is silent except when she barks at the moon.

By Danielsssss on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 02:56 pm:

By Nate on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 04:05 pm:

you would be foolish to withdraw your mutual funds.

the stock market is fickle.

By Danielsssss on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 05:29 pm:

Nate, I lost a full twenty percent of value from Dec 07 to Sep 09, and this was before the crash of the last three weeks. I agree, foolish in conventional times, but you know, these are not. I have absolutely no faith in the system anymore. those who had deep pockets in 1929 and stuck it out, did not get their money back until 20 years later in the 1950's. The system is broken, and you and I need liquid assets of value, and hard non liquid assets of value like real estate we can hold. Not a mortgage or a paper. Let's just print more money.

My broker is so against using a retirement account for real estate even though it is perfectly legal to do so. Why? Because she cannot take fees and commissions off my real estate holdings, whether they increase or decrease in value. So consequently brokers and investment advisors seldom recommend where real wealth can be had, safely. Tuesday of last week, a brand new never lived in two bed two bath condo on the beach in Ecuador in a safe, expatriate friendly 2000 person fishing village, complete with spa and boutique hotel,and inclusive 5000usd membership to the spa, tennis, and docks, went up in value 29.21348 percent....overnight on October 1. Even at its today value, nine days later, it is a marvelous place to park cash and have a chunk of paradise at the same time.

I can't sleep, dine, or swim in my mutual funds, which are only losing value every day.

BUT if I believed that the system would not deteriorate, that the market was sound, that the USof A would be here in five years, well, I'd be buying buying buying. But I do not think that any purchase of any stock or any fund has any merit whatsoever today, because the system is broken. In London, Bejiing, Wall Street, or Moscow for that matter.

How to restore confidence in a crooked system??? Well, let it die. Let the fuckers jump. They've already made their millions off you and me. And I'm not angry at all.

By Danielssss on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 05:40 pm:

And I can still get you in to the condos either in Cotacotchi (Andes Mountains, for 49000) an hour from the beach and at 6000 feet of perpetual springtime year round...or for 115000 on the beach.

Wire me 5k, have another 25k ready in 60 days, and we can finance the rest at 8.5% for ten years. When the dust settles, you got your retirement funds in a retirement on the beach that has doubled or tripled in value in a place where gasoline is inconsequential and food is cheap and abundant, and where this sick old bastard can get 100% health covereage including dental by (mostly Expatriate American ) doctors for $65 monthly total and no copay or deductible, solely on presenting my passport and resident visa.

LAN has a flight rt from Miami 475usd. Anyone up for a trip? I'm going there to get a tooth implanted this spring, saving 2000-3000$.

By Nate on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 06:19 pm:

the system is backed by the full faith and credit of the US government, apparently.

the only problem with the south american retirement is that the whole area is at the precipice of appending each country name with SSR.

every plan has its risks.

i wouldn't buy securities now. if your money is in mutual funds today, i'd leave it there. if it isn't, i'd keep it out.

with a few exceptions, i've been out of the market since 2005.

By heather on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 06:22 pm:

nate, *we* would be foolish

invest in your body and your brain, so far they're the only thing you get to keep until you are dead.

By Nate on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 06:35 pm:

we nothing. i'm not in any mutual funds.

By Danielssss on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 06:46 pm:

I believe your first statement says it all.

I've been snooping around Costa Rica and Nicaragua for a long time, then found some Americans in Panama on a little island in the Pacific, and missed an opportunity there two three years ago. I like Ecuador because of the climate, relative political stability, language, and mountains, except for earthquakes and volcanoes. Cost of living and qulaity especially. If their president or legislator is found unworthy, dishonest, or misleading, they get rid of him or her. The indigneous population thrives on a subsistance level, but lack medical care and education which we as expats can give them. In return, there is low cost pure abundant food, reciprocal helpfulness, vital thanks, and honest appreciation of being human together regardless of social class or economic state. Even on my proposed meager social security, I can live there infinitely better quality of life than I can in some south florida retirement village. Which I wouldn't want any way.

I would like to be able to stop working, or at least cut back, and stay put. But I don't think it is possible. I don't have much debt at all outside house and car, live frugally and still can afford sushi, grow some of my own food, have a son who can make cheese and wants a cow or goat to manage. But I want to be off grid, more independent than my little place in the woods can sustain. And it is not paid for, and not really defendable from urban refugees seeking asylum.

brain or body, a little good architecture, some brass fittings, a good gun, a steady hand, strokes of moonlight through her hair...................

I nearly drowned in 1979 in the market and stayed away (except for retirement investing) since. Were there the internet and day trading in October 1979, I would have hung myself for sure. 1979 was a bad year. 80 worse.

Instead, I went to Ireland. My daughter died in Feb 79, my first born son in Oct 80. I went to Ireland, and drank Guinness. Stocks lost their allure, and I am lucky my dear wife brought me back from the brink of destruction even in the midst of her own despair.

Hard times? Money has nothing to do with them.

Life is good, and we really need none of it--it's all window dressing.

You, me, Heather, Sarah, Spider, mark, Cat, patrick, Kazu, Sem, Dani, CZ, and J, Droop, and everybody I've missed...and all the rest...that's what's important.

By Danielssss on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 07:52 pm:

full coverage without dental in Germany was 55 euros monthly last year. I pay usd 350.92 a month and have 1500 deductible for BlueCrossBlueShield for miserable coverage here in MO

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 08:10 pm:

Danielssss, they have HMO in Germany?!?!?!

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 08:15 pm:

And oh, Danielssss, don't blame me, I didn't vote for bush, my brother did voted for him, at first, he though bush would do his job, but now, my brother is not pleased with bush.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 08:17 pm:

And oh again, does anyone notice the gas price dropped drastic lately? it been down 50 cents since last week. I need to know what was going on? I need help.

By Nate on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 08:49 pm:

don't worry about the gas. OPEC is worried about falling gas prices and is going to clamp down on supply.

By heather on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 09:40 pm:

not what i was saying, nate, but who really gives a fuck

_____, get yer gun

By sarah on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 10:59 am:

my aunt and uncle just sold their house in rural pennsylvania, shortly after they closed on a house in mexico.

they are SO blowing this popsicle stand.

By Dougie on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:36 am:

By Karla on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:18 pm:

Hubby and I were looking to buy retirement property while the market was soft and we could pay it off before we retire - we really like NW Arkansas, but we're also considering Panama. We haven't visited yet, but from what I've read, it sounds promising. Unfortunately, we're both employed by the state and feeling pretty insecure about taking on another mortgage now. He's had to talk me off the ledge several times in the last few weeks because my gut is telling me to cash the f out and set up some Bahamian or Swiss bank accounts.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 01:01 pm:

Sarah, is your aunt and uncle a Amish? Just curious.

By semillama on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 02:39 pm:

Amish families tend to stick where they are, Doc. They wouldn't move to Mexico simply because there aren't any other Amish communities already there. There are Mexican Mennonite communities, though.

It's interesting you bring up the Amish, though. They are probably the best prepared to weather financial crises, these days.

By Buddhistdruiddanielssss on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 04:03 pm:

and the mennonites scare the jesus right out of me.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 10:20 pm:

Buddhistruiddanielssss, mennonite scare the jesus right out of you? How is that?

And for semillama, I have seen them around somehwere in southern Illinois and Kentucky. and for there are Menonite in western Illinois.

By Nate on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:24 pm:

"the meek will inherit the earth"

because they are the ones who have practice surviving without everything the not-meek have become accustomed to.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 12:44 am:

Last August, I was visiting Memphis zoo with my daughter, I notice a group, I believe it is family, but, the color is kind of light green or mint color, these people dressed similar to Amish, I think it is German bapist Amish.

By Danielssss goat on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 12:57 pm:

Danielssss is out stringing pelan tan through the woods, and burning dragon's blood to purify the effects of Wall Street Greed, so the Goat is in charge, heh heh.

any fundamentalist of any sort that can't develop what James Fowler called a "universalizing faith" that is inclusive and tolerant of others' diverse and different way...does not so much scare him and me as push me away. Chew my can.

Jesus was a but inclusive, doncha think? Burrio The Dancing Burro (show me state, donkey ass) thinks so. Told me so this morning over coffee. Denominizing a faith always excludes someone, whether mennonite or amish or jewish or luteran or nothing.

jeez, I can't believe I am entertaining a diagloue with the Dr. Forgive me, forgive me, I will never do it again.

Nate, you are correct, again, as always, right one, rock hard, electricity-less! Burrio and I agree with you, and likely Droop if he is around. Hey Droop?

How bout them republicans? "abused the power of office..." gawd.

By Goat on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 01:05 pm:

The island commuity in Panama is Contadora. The beach community in Ecuador is Vistazul (not the one in Mexico but keep looking until you find a click for Ecuador).

We all should goten out a while ago, but Danielssss could not find a way to ship me and the Burrio without vacinnations, and I'm allergic to getting shot.

And dr. it is BuddhistDRUIDDanielssss to be more precise. Just because you can't type in the King's English does not mean you can't refer Properly to , ah wtf.

Old Danielssss might not have shared those leads above, but while he is out the goat will have his way. Heather are the trees colorful where you are?

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 01:31 pm:

Goat sorry , my bad typo.

By Antigone on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 09:43 pm:

I'd like to thank you again, Goat, for the wonderful curry made from your flesh and bones I had at the indian buffet today. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

By heather on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 10:13 pm:

the trees are not colorful where i am, i was being sad about that today.

so, the dr. saw a green family? what is this?

By Spider on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 01:02 pm:

"because they are the ones who have practice surviving without everything the not-meek have become accustomed to."

well, if you want to be practical about it, yeah. but if you want to be spiritual about it, it's their reward for not being assholes.

By Spider on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 01:04 pm:

Why did I not use capitalization? Weird.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 02:09 pm:

What green family? I don't see anything.

By Spider on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 02:22 pm:

Dude.

"I notice a group, I believe it is family, but, the color is kind of light green or mint color,"

That was you. You wrote that.

By agatha on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 03:49 pm:

Me laugh!

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 05:32 pm:

Ah yes, now I remember, yes, The clothes Amishs wears are black, as for the Menonites, they wear a little bit colorful such as blue , but those people I saw in Memphis, these people wore light green clothes resemble themselves as either Amishs or Menonites.

By droopy on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 07:56 pm:

i've been out in the country for the past four days.

every time i drive south on I-35 i past a large, hand-painted sign in the hills beside the highway that reads "christiansrepent.org". apparently they're dotted around texas. i found a picture of another one on this website. i just got home and finally went to the site: repentchristians.org. it's an anti-abortion video, but my computer won't play it - might not be up anymore, for all i know. at the bottom of the page is a link to the "new covenant mennonite fellowship" in austin, tx.

aren't there a lot of mennonites in belize? or is that some other sect. i know it's something like that.

By wisper on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 10:16 pm:

the video is just a preacher guy saying preacher things, nothing about abortion. It's about American christians not being christian enough.

By Danielssss on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 10:59 pm:

green ones are the Portuguese Mennonites. There's a hand painted, spray painted sign in my hood that says Mccain and Palin. These conservative farmers around here all seem republican and unknowingly are aggravating the intellectual in me. Maybe goat curry would be helpful. Actually got pretty revolting with some poblano peppers last night. let's see how bad tomorrow's market is. I will buy green beans and sell tomatoes. The Goat is doing penance for his little trick at typing with the Burrio yesterday. Baddd goat.

By droopy on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 12:48 am:

strange. i was told it was about abortion. i was wondering why the sign didn't say "repent sinners". i was told by someone who'd seen a video on the site sometime in the past that christians were being taken to task for supporting abortion. either there's been a misunderstanding or the video changes every so often.

By Antigone on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 01:48 pm:

I repented this weekend's food consumption due to a stomach
    virus. The good news is I'm down to 266lb.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 01:50 pm:

Wow, good job, Antigone! We're proud of you. But I just gained 3 pound over the weekend.

By kazu on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 01:52 pm:

I've gained 15 pounds due to a parasite.

By Danielssss on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 03:30 pm:

nearly thirty pounds off since last november. plenty of goat meat.

By Spider on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 03:46 pm:

I've gained 10 pounds since moving half a block away from a Trader Joe's. There needs to be a zoning law.

By moonit on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 05:15 pm:

I've lost 3.5 kilos (thats 7, nearly 8 pounds) in two weeks due to eating well and working out with a personal trainer. No chocolate is weird but surprisingly doable when you are motivated. had a bad (hangover) craving for a cheeseburger on Sunday, fought it off with a baked potato (not ideal but better than McDonalds calorie wise I guess).

By Karla on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 05:46 pm:

Moonit, what motivated you? I've got a 10K coming up in 6 weeks and it's gonna be brutal at this weight. I've got to man up and rein in my carb addiction.

By moonit on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 07:35 pm:

Its just time I think. I have been overweight for most of my twenties and its time to get rid of it. I've done a hard out gym programme before (but not in conjunction with food) and vice versa - so this time I thought I need something that does both. A workmate and I were talking about maybe signing up for a whole heap of different classes; and in the search I found a really awesome trainer to work with us.

The diet is based on the CSIRO principles (http://www.csiro.au/science/TWD.html); which is more protein and veges, less carbs and for some reason it seems to agree with me; whereas in the past I have fallen off quickly. Its measurement week this week so that should be interesting :)

By jack on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:28 pm:

this thread has cried out for chupacabra approximately 7 times. what is with all the missed cues all around?

By Dr Pepper on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:48 pm:

chupacabra who?

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:25 am:

chupacabra who?

By jack on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:45 am:

chupacabra who?

By jack on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:45 am:

who's there?

By jack on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:46 am:

knock, knock

By jack on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:46 am:

knock, knock

By sarah on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 01:55 pm:

in the past few months i had just started to be able to make a serious dent in getting off the baby weight goddammitmotherfuckingshitfuckdammit.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 08:16 pm:

jack,chupacabra who?

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 09:37 pm:

Chupacabra Jones. Jeez, pay attention, Dr Pepper.

By platypus on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:42 pm:

"...it turns out gold's just a shiny metal...right now, you want to put your investment dollars in things you can eat...and weapons. You also want to put it in weapons, so that you can kill things and then eat them. Oooh, and make sure you buy some fire too. Because you can't keep the marauders away without fire."

Nate, I had no idea you were writing for the Daily Show!

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 03:04 am:

Dougie, no, never heard of Chupacabra Jones.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact