THERE ARE NO REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: THERE ARE NO REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Rockaway Park Queens The End of the Line on Tuesday, July 14, 1998 - 04:28 pm:
    Life is an existential HELL. More on this subject later.

By Hugh Jass on Thursday, August 6, 1998 - 03:00 pm:
    If life is Hell, then Hell is going to be really boring when you get there.

For you non-religious people like myself, all actions have an equal but oposite reaction. If you think of life as a balanced set of scales. Every time something bad happens, something good happens. At least, that's what happens in my experience. So life evens out. Every time a really horrible thing happens to me I just think of how good the good thing is going to have to be to make up for it.

Life may be silly but it's never hopeless.

By Starchy on Thursday, August 6, 1998 - 03:55 pm:
    Hope is not an attribute that would generally be applied to a metaphysical concept such as "life". In my experience, it's most often applied to people. People can sure as Hell be hopeless - I've been in that state before.

When I say that people can be hopeless, I mean that they can feel no hope, not that they're completely pathetic...

Bleh.

By -oDDBALL dRUNK- on Saturday, August 8, 1998 - 11:15 pm:
    Good and bad. Both ambivalent values that compliment each other. Hope and desperation.
    Love and hate. Drunk and sober. Frogs and birds.
    Strontium 90 and mothers milk. Eyeballs and assholes.

Life spins absurdly out of control at every turn.
    Reach for the brass ring and fall on your face.
    Live, laugh, love, hyperextended serial killer rage.

Amen.

By Strange on Friday, August 14, 1998 - 10:15 pm:
    I couldn't have put it better myself.

By Karia on Wednesday, September 16, 1998 - 06:57 am:

Isnt earth supposed to be hell? According to the bible the fallen angel who became the devil was kicked out of heaven and where he landed he took it as his home...he landed here. So hence the saying only the good die young, if your a wanker then you get to stay on this planet that little bit longer. Not very frightening is it? Dont believe in hell and the devil anyway but I though I would add my tuppenence worth.

K.

By Slacker on Thursday, September 17, 1998 - 01:46 am:

yeah i get to stay

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, January 8, 1999 - 08:35 am:

Kind of like Jean Paul Sartre's "No Exit?"

Odd little piece. I rather enjoyed his Elektra so much more.

And there was one about a woman alone in her apartment... but I don't remember much about that one.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 02:05 pm:

"RESEARCH REPORTS: 1. ". . .it is scarcely possible to point out any difference between the tear-stained face of a person after a paroxism of excessive laughter and after a bitter crying-fit" (Darwin 1872:207). 2. Laughing strengthens bonds of comradeship (Van Hooff 1967:59). 3. Laughter is more social than humorous (Van Hooff 1967:59). 4. Our laugh resembles the great ape's relaxed open-mouth face (esp., its "rhythmic, low-pitched staccato vocalizations and. . .boisterous body movements" (Van Hooff 1967:60). 5. "For example, they [deaf-and-blind-born children] smile and laugh as we do when they are happy and emit the correct sounds when they do so" (Eibl-Eibesfeldt 1971:12). 6. People in good spirits may laugh 100-to-400 times a day (Fry 1983). 7. Prof. Robert R. Provine (Univ. of Maryland-Baltimore County), who studied 1,200 bouts of laughter in malls and public places, characterized the verbal remarks the laughing accompanied as "not funny" (Angier 1996). 8. Provine found that a. laugh vocalizations last about 75 milliseconds, separated by rests of 210 milliseconds; b. average speakers laughs 46% more than listeners; c. male speakers laugh only slightly more than male listeners; d. women speaking laugh considerably more than female listeners; e. male speakers laugh 7% less than female listeners; f. female speakers laugh 127% more than male listeners; and g. speakers usually laugh at the end of complete phrases (rather than in the middle), as a kind of nonverbal punctuation."

No. 6 validates me. No. 7 is funny.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 03:25 pm:

Prof. Robert R. Provine is afraid of the truth about 4 simultaneous days and the timecube. He must be destroy.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 04:05 pm:

Prof. Robert R. Provine is one corners liar. Teachers and Academics are stupid and evil. Truth about Satin Claws debunks Robert R. Jesus Clause.

By sarah on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 06:54 pm:

not all academics are evil. i like philosophers quite a bit.

you should laugh every day. not polite, giggling laughter, but gut busting, snorting laughter. it's fun.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:16 pm:

I watched my Eddie Izzard "Glorious" video last night. It felt good to actually laugh so hard you cry.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:24 pm:

I had some busting laughter earlier. Geek boy and I are going to see Caligula later!

By Nate on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:35 pm:

ew.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:37 pm:

I love Caligula. Geek boy's never seen it, he may walk out.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:45 pm:

A fine date movie.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:49 pm:

Ah yes. Inspires assex, mad parties, vomit, boy love, and countless other fun activities!

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:53 pm:

About the only thing I remember about that movie is filling a guy up with wine and slitting his stomach. Ah, the simple pleasures of life.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 08:03 pm:

Yum.

By J on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 11:59 pm:

After seeing that movie,you know geek boy is going to try to fuck you up the ass.You'll be riding him like a pony.

By Isolde on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 01:06 am:

Nah. We didn't see it. Pity.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 12:48 pm:

I guarantee that movie is not playing anywhere near me.

By Isolde on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 12:58 pm:

Just as well. It was being shown at a little indie theatre.

By Agent D on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 01:56 am:

THERE ARE NO REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL!! IfIhaven'blewuprtcindustries!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact