Burroughs

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Burroughs
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Chordata on Wednesday, January 13, 1999 - 04:17 pm:

Man, I come from the days when drugs were drugs. We had dope where one toke would turn your hair long and your folks into raving maniacs at the dinner table. Some of the stuff, why, a single hit could transform a Catholic schoolgirl into Gomorrah on all fours, snuff your ego like a light, rotate the tires on The Great Wheel of Being and make your eyes lay eggs. See God? Shit, you could get him down in the hot tub and wash his mouth out with herbal soap. And that's if you split the blotter paper four ways. As for insights, try yage and psilocybin mushrooms mixed with mescaline and Anchor Steam beer. Gautama Buddha his own bad self comes to your house and writes out the eightfold path in lipstick on your bathroom mirror. We had drugs that would give you immortal life for thirty-six hours. And what about the time the nine-assed Peyote Demon peeled the top of my head like an orange and vomited the Enclopedia Britannica into my empty skull?
    That's what we meant by high in the old days.

- william s. burroughs

By Markus on Wednesday, January 13, 1999 - 04:42 pm:

Uh, no. P.J. O'Rourke.

By Ali on Wednesday, January 13, 1999 - 04:48 pm:

how embarrassing!

By Droop on Wednesday, January 13, 1999 - 04:58 pm:

Junk is a cellular equation that teaches the user facts of gerneral vialidity. I have learned a great deal from using junk: I have seen life measured out in eyedroppers of morphine solution. I experienced the agonizing deprivation of junk sickness, and the pleasure of relief when junk-thirsty cells drank from the needle. Perhaps all pleasure is relief. I have learned the cellular stoicism that junk teaches the user. Ihave seen a cell full of sick junkies silent and immoblie in separate misery. They knew that basically no one can help anyone else. There is no key, no secret someone else has that he can give you.

I have learned the junk equation. Junk is not, like alcohol and weed, a means to increased enjoyment of life. Junk is not a kick. It is a way of life.

-W. S. Burroughs

By Chordata on Wednesday, January 13, 1999 - 05:52 pm:

oops, i'm sorry. i was misinformed. thanks for the correction. but burroughs IS a reason to be cheerful, anyhow.

By Chordata on Wednesday, January 13, 1999 - 05:55 pm:

oops, i'm sorry. i was misinformed. thanks for the correction. but burroughs IS a reason to be cheerful, anyhow.

By Chordata on Wednesday, January 13, 1999 - 05:57 pm:

By Agatha on Thursday, January 14, 1999 - 12:50 am:

oops, i'm sorry, chordata. your entire thread seems to have gone awry.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact